Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Friday, July 9th, 2004, 12:13 PM

mirage341 is on a distinguished road
Default Possible Car Rental Insurance Scam

Possible Car Rental Insurance Scam

Hello. I recently had a very suspicious incident happen to me in regards to my rental car. I will not name names yet or make accusations without evidence. But I am looking for anyone else who may have experienced something similar. Please reply if you have experienced any of the following:

1. Your rental car on the island suddenly got a ding, perhaps on the bumper, and it happened toward end of your rental, maybe even the last night. Maybe you found it just before you were due to return car or maybe you didnt notice it at all and the rental car guy discovered it when you returned the car.

2. The ding was perhaps just a conveniently placed or sized ding just small enough to be considered damage but perhaps it was in a plastic bumper, such that the ding could really pushed out with the aid of a small tool, but the company still wanted to charge you for it.

3. The charge for your dent/ding was a random/arbitrary figure decided on the spot by the rental car guy. No estimate by 3rd party. No time to do it they say because you need to be charged for it and your plane is leaving.
Perhaps they wanted to charge you as much as $500 for this ding in a piece of plastic that could easily be pushed out with a common tool. There was nothing else broken (lights etc) or dented that would require the rental company to report it or send it to a body shop after you left.

4. Perhaps the rental guy told you you should have stayed with the car and filed a police report (impossible since you discovered the damage at the last minute and had to return car to catch your flight). Perhaps he said damage is not covered because you did not file police report or because you cannot prove where it happened. Perhaps he told you it isnt covered because it might have happened in a hotel lot, which is considered private. Perhaps you filed a police report and he still said he would charge you.

If you have seen any of these things happen, or anything else suspicious like this, please get in contact with me. Thank you. mirage341@aol.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook