Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Saturday, January 10th, 2009, 08:20 AM

Tom and Pam is on a distinguished road
Default Question about lack of threads. . . .

Good morning all,

This site was my first information site for Aruba a year or so ago. Lately I see lees and less postings. Any particular reason for this? ? ? ? I do look at other boards and they seem to bus and full of info that I used to get on this site. .

Tom and Pam
Old Saturday, January 10th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question about lack of threads. . . .

good question. each season there is a forum du jour, lol. remind your friends we are here. also, check our blogs (link at the top of the page 'user cp, all albums, blogs...'). there are trip reports and a rather funny and R rated thread created by elaine. we also have an albums section. post your aruba pictures there. post your family pictures there. i even have my cat pictures there, lol.

all boards are evolving. we are in the process of evolving and to be honest, many people are too lazy to go off the main page and check out new things. we have noticed that over the years. people will ask questions and are stunned when the answers are just a quick search away on the home website (go to the very top of the page and click on 'aruba')

send those friends over here and remind them of our newer areas for posting. as an example, the blogs work much like any blog site. it's for you to post anything you want. the rules are much less restrictive (although it does bleep a few words, lol, and we can get around that as you will note), and it gives people a chance to interact on a different level.

thanks for bringing up the subject. it gave me a place to mention all of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Pam View Post
Good morning all,

This site was my first information site for Aruba a year or so ago. Lately I see lees and less postings. Any particular reason for this? ? ? ? I do look at other boards and they seem to bus and full of info that I used to get on this site. .

Tom and Pam
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Saturday, January 10th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Administrator

one other thing i figure i might mention. we have two sections that were made specifically at the request of several members. one of which is If it doesn't fit elsewhere, it goes here! - Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba this section is for creating threads that are totally off topic. things in the world that interest us. they are similar to blogs.

the other one is Where's the Beef? - Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba which is for complaining about anything including mother in laws, kids, and dirty politicians. again, it is similar to blogs.

maybe you would like to add to these threads. a forum is only as active as it's members make it.
Old Saturday, January 10th, 2009, 09:57 AM

Linda VH is on a distinguished road

Hi Sherry: My take is the negativity of threads. All about crime, a beautiful island destroyed, I hate the airlines, etc. Not that the other boards don't have some negativity but not as much. That's my opinion. I come here every day but didn't go into any thread but this one. It really frosts me a bit that people are moaning about how the island has changed and they'll stay home - so stay home. There is so much negativity in the world and I come to the boards to hear about my home away from home. Sure there is crime - it is everywhere in the world as I believe you said in a post. Then the Holloway thing comes up again.
People talk about their cameras being stolen from a palapa - did they see ANY locals around - NO!!! just their fellow tourists, probably American. I'm not leaving my valuables out anywhere in this world. Sorry I just posted a negativity myself but...... Sherry, we're going down Feb. 2 and I'll be at CL until Sept. 4th except for one week in May when I go over to Curacao. If you're around - give me a shout. Linda
Old Saturday, January 10th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Administrator

linda, i will be there at least week 33. how about a trip to casa tua??

as to the negativity, let me set this record straight. the difference is that we don't delete negative posts. i know for a fact that other boards do. they also edit out parts of the threads. we believe that our members ARE aruba. their opinions are the ones that matter. i adore aruba. my heart is in aruba. yet i too have been a victim of crime in aruba.

crime happens everywhere including aruba. changes happen everywhere including aruba. our members feel this and say it and we don't stop them. we also remind them that our own town, cities, states, and country need correction before we throw the first stone. however, we don't delete or alter their complaints because they have the right to speak.

we are the voice of aruba. you and i go to aruba and spend our money. in your case you are there many weeks spending that money. i don't know how many years you have been going to aruba but i can say honestly that in the 19 years we have been going there are a lot of changes. some i love. some i hate. ATA, AHATA, and the minister of tourism need to know how we feel and what concerns us. they need to hear it. it can't be whitewashed or sugar coated. if we neglect crime, overbuilding or anything else we neglect the tourists that we are aiming to help.

what i am saying is that we may want to read positive spins but if we continue to wear rose colored glasses and don't write fact, with the world wide economy as it is, aruba will lose out.

i can also tell you that if i was told today to block, delete or alter posts to distort truth i would quit my labor of love and it is a labor of love that i do. i get nothing out of this except a d'a'm'n'e'd good feeling about the island i love and the people we help.

now what do all of you want? do you want the negatives hidden or do you want all sides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda VH View Post
Hi Sherry: My take is the negativity of threads. All about crime, a beautiful island destroyed, I hate the airlines, etc. Not that the other boards don't have some negativity but not as much. That's my opinion. I come here every day but didn't go into any thread but this one. It really frosts me a bit that people are moaning about how the island has changed and they'll stay home - so stay home. There is so much negativity in the world and I come to the boards to hear about my home away from home. Sure there is crime - it is everywhere in the world as I believe you said in a post. Then the Holloway thing comes up again.
People talk about their cameras being stolen from a palapa - did they see ANY locals around - NO!!! just their fellow tourists, probably American. I'm not leaving my valuables out anywhere in this world. Sorry I just posted a negativity myself but...... Sherry, we're going down Feb. 2 and I'll be at CL until Sept. 4th except for one week in May when I go over to Curacao. If you're around - give me a shout. Linda
Old Saturday, January 10th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Almost Aruban

donnie is on a distinguished road

sherry - I believe that all sides should be written about. If people don't want to read the negative, then they don't have to read it. The majority of us love Aruba and that is why we frequent these boards. For those that do not want to hear the negative, then, like I said, don't read the threads. Some people also come here to vent and I have no problem with that as long as it is in a respectful manner.I will continue to read the threads here and post when I have the time. And some day, I may even create a blog!!
Old Saturday, January 10th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Almost Aruban

pgsoder is on a distinguished road

Ditto from me Donnie!!!
Old Saturday, January 10th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Aruba Expert

ArubaAmy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
as to the negativity, let me set this record straight. the difference is that we don't delete negative posts. i know for a fact that other boards do. they also edit out parts of the threads. we believe that our members ARE aruba. their opinions are the ones that matter. i adore aruba. my heart is in aruba. yet i too have been a victim of crime in aruba.
Not true as far as the aruba-travelguide.com board, the aruba-bb.com board, and Trip Advisor's Aruba Forum. They do not delete negative posts.

I don't post here very often for many reasons....and not one of those reasons has to do with any negativity.

26th trip to Aruba: April 2012
27th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2012
Old Saturday, January 10th, 2009, 11:11 AM

I didn't mean you should delete the negative. I just would like to see people ask questions, comment on something, etc. rather than moan. Sure we need to express our opinions about what is happening in our home away from home but it would be nice to see a thread talking about fun stuff that happens while there. The look on the face of the first time golfing in Aruba when the ball kind of hangs in the air and goes 80 yards when you're using your 120 yd. club, etc.

Casa Tua sounds great to me - gotta love that thin crust pizza!!
Old Saturday, January 10th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Administrator

honey, thin crust, thick crust, pasta, fattening food, anything. after months of dieting and 30 1/4 lb lost i need to think of casa tua and every other place want to go to stuff my face with food, hahahaha.

Quote:
I didn't mean you should delete the negative. I just would like to see people ask questions, comment on something, etc. rather than moan. Sure we need to express our opinions about what is happening in our home away from home but it would be nice to see a thread talking about fun stuff that happens while there. The look on the face of the first time golfing in Aruba when the ball kind of hangs in the air and goes 80 yards when you're using your 120 yd. club, etc.

Casa Tua sounds great to me - gotta love that thin crust pizza!!
Old Saturday, January 10th, 2009, 11:54 AM

Congrats on the loss!!! Wish I could lose some.
Old Saturday, January 10th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Administrator

linda, you are fine where you are. i still have 22 to lose.

Quote:
Congrats on the loss!!! Wish I could lose some.
Old Saturday, January 10th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Question about lack of threads. . . .

I'm going to chime in here. Before I became a moderator, I honestly never knew how much work is involved in being one. The wonderful thing is, sherry is always johnny-on-the-spot to handle whatever comes up on a daily basis so it's easy working with her.

As to negativity, I've always tried to see both good and bad. And, as a timeshare owner, I feel I have a vested interest in the island we all love. If there's a problem that I can avoid before I get there, I sure as h-e-l-l want to know about it so that, hopefully, it doesn't affect or happen to me.

If someone has a reason for not posting here that often, a moderator can't read your mind. Let one of us know, and we can hopefully work it out. And, if it can't be worked out, it becomes one's choice to post or not to post.

I have personally started many threads in the last month or so.... fun threads, and for the life of me can't understand why it's the same people who add to those threads while others just sit back and simply read.

A forum is what "everyone" makes it... and, should never be dependent on just a few who always interact.

I'm partial ~ I was one of the first who joined this forum, and I still think of it as "home." It's comfortable, honest, respectful and enlightening. Off my soapbox.
Old Saturday, January 10th, 2009, 05:53 PM

Arubaman is on a distinguished road

Post should be fair and balanced
Old Saturday, January 10th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Almost Aruban

pgsoder is on a distinguished road

Arubaman, do you mean "Fair and Balanced" like FOX NEWS??? Cause if so, we are!!!!
Old Saturday, January 10th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Aruba Expert

Eagle-Beach Boy is on a distinguished road

I visit 4 sites every time I log on. I find all the sites have very good moderators.
I myself post good and negative subjects that I feel are pertinent to all of us Aruban want-abees.

Old Saturday, January 10th, 2009, 08:13 PM

kthy66 is on a distinguished road

I do the same as EBB.. I visit 4 different boards everytime I'm online.
I don't always post but I read just about every new post..
Old Saturday, January 10th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

I'm with Donnie - I like to hear all sides! The thread about what happening at LaCabana was very helpful to me.

I probably titled my thread wrong - I wasn't being negative, I did have a question and it was answered by many helpful members!