Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Sunday, June 10th, 2007, 06:37 PM

Chrisinhouston is on a distinguished road
Default Remembering the staff at the place where you stay

I wanted to post this as a gentle reminder to all of us visiting Aruba or anywhere else you might stay. We are here at the Renaissance Marina for 2 weeks and I have noticed that each day I seem to have the same staff doing many things like the nice lady who makes up our room each day. The beds and linens here are great but I am a super hot sleeper (unlike my wife!!!) and I found the light duvet too heavy for me to sleep under so I asked for an extra top sheet to be left in the room. Each evening when I return to my room there is a sheet folded on my side of the bed (I never indicated which side I slept on but maybe it was evident). I also take the shuttle boat to the private island each day and have come to know the pilots because I like to strike up a conversation with them. Each day when we return I thank them and tell them I'll see them tomorrow; I think they find some humor in the fact that my wife is working each day while I slack off at the beach!

Anyway, the point of all this is that if you experience exceptional day to day service remember to leave a tip for these people. They are often the silent day to day people who help keep the resorts running smoothly!

As an aside I'd like to suggest to everyone visiting that you take the time to really talk to the locals, even if it's just telling them what a great time you are having or that he weather is great. I have had several Arabians tell me about neat places to go or the best time to visit certain places and they really enjoy interacting with visitors who are gracious and treat them as equals!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Sunday, June 10th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Remembering the staff at the place where you stay

chris, thank you for reminding us of this important thing. it's hard to remember that while we are on vacation they are all working hard on this beautiful island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston View Post
I wanted to post this as a gentle reminder to all of us visiting Aruba or anywhere else you might stay. We are here at the Renaissance Marina for 2 weeks and I have noticed that each day I seem to have the same staff doing many things like the nice lady who makes up our room each day. The beds and linens here are great but I am a super hot sleeper (unlike my wife!!!) and I found the light duvet too heavy for me to sleep under so I asked for an extra top sheet to be left in the room. Each evening when I return to my room there is a sheet folded on my side of the bed (I never indicated which side I slept on but maybe it was evident). I also take the shuttle boat to the private island each day and have come to know the pilots because I like to strike up a conversation with them. Each day when we return I thank them and tell them I'll see them tomorrow; I think they find some humor in the fact that my wife is working each day while I slack off at the beach!

Anyway, the point of all this is that if you experience exceptional day to day service remember to leave a tip for these people. They are often the silent day to day people who help keep the resorts running smoothly!

As an aside I'd like to suggest to everyone visiting that you take the time to really talk to the locals, even if it's just telling them what a great time you are having or that he weather is great. I have had several Arabians tell me about neat places to go or the best time to visit certain places and they really enjoy interacting with visitors who are gracious and treat them as equals!
Old Monday, June 11th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Aruba Expert

Eagle-Beach Boy is on a distinguished road

We feel some the staff at the Amsterdam Manor have become friends. Most have been there since we have been going there. With our room on ground level near the restaurant we get to see and talk to most of the staff and security. If we have a problem I mention to the staff what it is and that I have gone through channels and reported it at the office for their records. After it problem has been addressed the staff drop by and ask if everything is ok and if we want anything please ask.

Old Tuesday, June 12th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Aruba Expert

Weed is on a distinguished road

I've always found it doesn't hurt to be pleasant to everyone, even if it's just a smile or "bon dia" as you pass by. Especially for the staff who often encounter other unpleasant tourists (like the palapha reservation takers!) or people who ignore them as if they were invisible (like the women who are constantly mopping the floors in the lobby where people come in from the pool or the housekeeping staff in the hallways). I'm even nice to the people handing out flyers for timeshares (just say you're already an owner and they'll leave you alone). My motto is that it takes more energy to be mean and crabby than to be nice. It might even get you a better room and early check-in time!
Old Wednesday, June 13th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Almost Aruban

elisabeth_nj is on a distinguished road

I absolutley love when we arrive at LaCabana...there is such a warm welcome from the bellhops, security and the bar staff! The bartenders actually run from behind the bar to give us hugs and kisses when we arrive! We treat them all quite well when we are there and from trip to trip they remember!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Thursday, June 14th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Almost Aruban

charlierat is on a distinguished road

I like this thread. I don't have anything to add but I concur with everything that has been said.
Old Thursday, June 14th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Aruba Expert

captmorgnsgrl is on a distinguished road

I love coming home to the Aruba Beach Club. The staff at the ABC is so friendly and always has a smile. We always leave a tip for the person who attends our room. After being out in the sun all day it is nice to come into a clean room. I usually will wash my dishes because I hate leaving it for them to do. But when I return to the room they have put the dishes away, made the bed, taken out the trash, moped the floor and put clean towels in the bathroom. I really appreciate all their hard work, it really adds to my vacation. So it never bothers me to leave them a nice gratuity and have at times in addition to the gratuity, brought them a gift from home. The front desk staff could not be more friendly and they remember you from year to year. It really is a good feeling to be welcomed and to return the kindness.

Old Saturday, June 16th, 2007, 07:57 AM

Fisherlady48 is on a distinguished road

I also stay at ABC and CDM. At ABC I have had the same staff for years and at CDM, I find out who my maid is and make sure that I know what days off she/he has.

I consider my tip to the housekeepers part of the expense of going on vacation. I also usually do up the dishes and they put them away. We are very fortunate in Aruba that we have daily maid service. Marriott does not, unless you pay extra!!

K