Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Thursday, May 6th, 2010, 07:43 PM

arubaariba is on a distinguished road
Default Say NO! to a Dolphinarium on Aruba

Plans are in the works for De Palm Island having dolphins in captivity (kind of like Tessa??) and it is being backed by the Minister of Tourism

This article was in Aruba Today

Tuesday May 4, 2010
ORANJESTAD
—Minister of Tourism Otmar Oduber believes in a dolphinarium for Aruba provided it complies with the strictest international requirements for the wellbeing of the animals and visitors. The
Minister confirmed there are talks between three separate project developers and the government. They are currently conducting further studies and will present their final proposals soon.
The topic was also discussed during a meeting between Prime Minister Mike Eman and three NGO’s, the Aruba Marine Mammal Foundation, the Aruba Foundation for National Parks and Tortugaruba. The objective of the meeting was to outline the goals of the three NGO’s, their actions, and among others, discussed their opinions on the presence of a dolphin facility in Aruba. The organizations always took the position that Aruba should never allow a dolphin program here for commercial purposes. Like their international counterparts, the NGO’s are of opinions that exploitation of such intelligent animals should not be permitted, since they belong in the open seas. In the past, former flipper trainer and ‘The Cove,’ co-producer Ric O’Barry helped NGO’s here to successfully convince authorities not to grant permission for such a project. His involvement in ‘The Cove,’ which won an Oscar for best documentary, was an international cry out against the cruelty of the sale of dolphins and other cetaceans. The Cove portrayed the slaughter of thousands of dolphins that have not been able to be sold to dolphinariums around the world.

Minister Oduber says he admires O’Barry as an idealist, yet he does not see any harm in providing the market of Aruba with a project that not only treats the animals according to the highest standards, but also allows locals and tourists alike enjoy the benefits of having
such a facility in Aruba. He understands the position taken by NGO’s namely that the wellbeing of the animal and also of the public has to be taken into consideration, and promised the government will have to have that guarantee from developers, before even considering granting the permit.

Many environmental and animal rights organizations around the world have seen improvement in the way facilities treat the cetaceans, yet still consider having captive animals as a form of cruelty. The USA adopted the Marine Mammal Protection Act in 1972, combined with a more critical view on the wellbeing of the cetaceans. Yet, the USA continues to have operating facilities for dolphins and whales. Great Britain on the other hand closed down all facilities by 1993, following a similar decision by Hungary. In 2005, Chile and Costa Rica adopted policies to prohibit facilities holding dolphins and other marine mammals in captivities.
But, facilities in the USA, Japan, Mexico and in the Caribbean, including Curaçao, continue to draw huge publics, which in view of Minister Oduber, is a sign that the market has a demand for such programs. He says he is impressed with the facility in Curaçao where many European families in particular go to take their autistic relatives to participate in the dolphin swimming program. Oduber thinks it serve Aruba and Arubans well to provide a similar service.

Say NO! to a Dolphinarium in Aruba
(on Facebook)

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Say-NO-to-a-Dolphinarium-in-Aruba/114225945284822?ref=search&sid=1401202648.18900388 13..1

This can be stopped before it gets to the "Ritz Carlton" stage. A Petition is in the works

Here is some additional info on this:
Marine Connection
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, May 6th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Say NO! to a Dolphinarium on Aruba

Between the Ritz, and now this... I have to temper what I write here! I am so totally p-i-s-s-ed!

In fact, I received mail today from an Aruban asking us to help stop this... to put this on all the Aruba Boards! Besides signing petitions, and making our feelings known on all the boards, who has any idea of how we, as people who love the island, and consider it our second home, as a group... can make our voices heard even louder???
Old Thursday, May 6th, 2010, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Say NO! to a Dolphinarium on Aruba

Should we send some e-mails to the Minister of Tourism Otmar Oduber?
Old Thursday, May 6th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Aruba Expert

roschone is on a distinguished road

Can we threaten some sort of mass boycott? Locals and non-locals included?

Last edited by roschone; Thursday, May 6th, 2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old Friday, May 7th, 2010, 04:51 AM

KINGPIN is on a distinguished road

For those who think it's cute to swim with dolphins, see here where they come from.

The Cove Movie: Welcome

Old Friday, May 7th, 2010, 07:19 AM

LearJet9 is on a distinguished road

kingpin - That was disgusting, interesting and certainly eye opening. I had no idea.
Old Friday, May 7th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

maybe you all need to check out facebook and the links provided. or express your views in this thread. people, we need to hear from tourists no matter what side of this issue you are on. speak and tell us exactly what you think. bring aruban tourists here to talk about it. it is an important issue and affects all tourists. tell us your viewpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearJet9 View Post
kingpin - That was disgusting, interesting and certainly eye opening. I had no idea.
Old Friday, May 7th, 2010, 06:07 PM

iamromo is on a distinguished road

Seriously???!!! We were disappointed when they added the water park NOW THIS!

The fisherman's huts are gone...the old ,quaint wooden restaurant is replaced by the Surf Club...next thing you know, Carnival will be replaced by a Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade look a like...
Old Saturday, May 8th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Aruba Expert

In an effort to educate myself a little more as well as trying to be a little more proactive, I starting doing a little research and found a site that petitions against the captivity of dolphins and asks you to pledge not to go to a show. There's a lot of good information here, including a sample letter protesting this horrible act of cruelty, as well as a list of facilities that were sucessfully closed, or even better, NEVER opened (see petition overview link). Although this letter was directed towards the Japan capture/capitivity, I'm wondering if it could be customized to what's being considered in Aruba. Maybe we could create our own petition specific to Aruba, and direct it to the "powers that be". There's also info on how to start our own petition (see create petition link). I'm not exactly sure who to target or what public group would sponsor the petition, but maybe someone out there does.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/5/stop-dolphin-captivity
Old Sunday, May 9th, 2010, 11:26 AM

You may want to go on the Facebook page and inquire, or offer any assistance.

There are several people who have been involved with this for 3 years (it has been "in the works" for that long) and can offer the best input
Old Sunday, May 9th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Aruba Expert

Ron B is on a distinguished road

I saw this on another Aruba board and I will put the same thoughts down here like I did there.

Whoever is giving advice on possible business investments and ventures for investment in aruba like this is giving the gov't some very bad advice Nothing good will come out of this.

Old Monday, May 10th, 2010, 07:55 AM

A formal petition has been started against the proposed dolphinarium.

Say NO! to a Dolphinarium in Aruba
Old Monday, May 10th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT is on a distinguished road

I am so confused.
If someone were picking a fight/choosing a battle...would someone sign up against a project like Ritz-Carlton or something like the dolphinarium.
We know the Ritz-Carlton outcome. Does protest against a dolphinarium have any hope of success?
Both may be bad. Forgive my ignorance. Somehow, I think rampant hotel/condo development may be worse.

Developers wanted to turn our area of Florida into "condo canyons". They bought up many "mom and pop" small motels/hotels. With the downturn in the economy, these lots now sit empty-undeveloped.
It is sad. The developers promised "the world" to city officials...they would develop beachfront public parks. It is a mess.

Are developers promising "the world" to the officials in Aruba?
Old Monday, May 10th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

i am sure they are. the dolphinarium is not a done deal YET. which is why people are trying to stop it. is there a possibility of stopping it? who knows? there certainly is no chance if you don't try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJT View Post
I am so confused.
If someone were picking a fight/choosing a battle...would someone sign up against a project like Ritz-Carlton or something like the dolphinarium.
We know the Ritz-Carlton outcome. Does protest against a dolphinarium have any hope of success?
Both may be bad. Forgive my ignorance. Somehow, I think rampant hotel/condo development may be worse.

Developers wanted to turn our area of Florida into "condo canyons". They bought up many "mom and pop" small motels/hotels. With the downturn in the economy, these lots now sit empty-undeveloped.
It is sad. The developers promised "the world" to city officials...they would develop beachfront public parks. It is a mess.

Are developers promising "the world" to the officials in Aruba?
Old Tuesday, May 11th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Aruba Expert

I think Sherry's right, at least from what I've heard, the Ritz Blitz was already in the works before the new government took over, and the outcome certainly stinks. But I think they are only considering the dolphinarium project. Maybe if we act quickly, we can help prevent this from ever happening at all. At least, let's all give it a try!
Old Wednesday, May 12th, 2010, 08:42 AM

There are also many "hard copy" petitions circulating the island, and not just the i-petition. There really are a lot of people on the island who do not want this. I saw this comment posted on the petition site from a resident - it really stuck with me:

Comments: Aruba is now sold for it's unique and natural aspects. It doesn't matter how many tourists are interested. It's is more important to maintain our orginality. Also our country branding is already built, we commercialize Aruba for its people. Animal cruelty was never ever in the vision of the pure Arubans!
Old Wednesday, May 12th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Aruba Expert

lizzardo is on a distinguished road

ministeroduber@aruba.com is Mr Oduber's email address
Old Wednesday, May 12th, 2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzardo View Post
ministeroduber@aruba.com is Mr Oduber's email address
Thanks for posting his e-mail address lizzardo.

Up to now, the only minister who gave a public statement pro dolphinarium and said he is moving forwards with this plan. He is the Minister of Tourism and he would be the right man to send emails to.

If you support this - which was started by the people of Aruba - please sign the petition Say NO! to a Dolphinarium in Aruba and send Mr. Oduber an e-mail too.
Old Saturday, May 15th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by arubaariba View Post
There are also many "hard copy" petitions circulating the island, and not just the i-petition. There really are a lot of people on the island who do not want this. I saw this comment posted on the petition site from a resident - it really stuck with me:

Comments: Aruba is now sold for it's unique and natural aspects. It doesn't matter how many tourists are interested. It's is more important to maintain our orginality. Also our country branding is already built, we commercialize Aruba for its people. Animal cruelty was never ever in the vision of the pure Arubans!
I have to say, I've spoken to and e-mailed every friend I know, and not one person -local OR tourist- has any interest in this terrible project. I mean we come to this island for the reasons arubariba said, it has the best people in the world living there, and Aruba has always kept its charm NATURALLY. That's what makes it a top destination for so many returning visitors.

Aside from the strictly moral issue of this horrific project - someone out there thinks there's money to be made. But it's just as likely that they will lose their shirt. They will spend a fortune to build it, and no one will come. And that won't help anyone, local or tourist.

I am hoping everyone signed that petition. And please. send those e-mails to Minister Oduber and the other powers that be. And keep sending them. If we can't appeal to their humanity, maybe we can hit them in the pocketbook.