Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Friday, January 5th, 2007, 10:02 PM

crammer315 is on a distinguished road
Default Suitcase brand recommendations

I don't think I have ever seen this subject posted.

We bought suitcases last year that need to be replaced already.

We are looking for new suitcases, I have seen reviews on suitcases made of ballistic material.

What set do you have that you are happy with?

Thank you!

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Friday, January 5th, 2007, 10:13 PM

Weimaraner is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Suitcase brand recommendations

We have a Diane Von Furstenberg luggage set we ordered from ebags.com a couple years ago that have been worth the money. I like that web site since you can see other customers' reviews - good or bad. The faux suede set didn't cost a lot of money but every time we take them on our travels someone comments on how expensive they look. The bags end up being amongst the first bags off our flights as if they receive some extra TLC from the handlers. I always wonder why anyone would get Louis Vuitton bags because suitcases take such a beating on every flight. Luggage always seems to end up being trashed after a few flights.

Last edited by Weimaraner; Friday, January 5th, 2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old Friday, January 5th, 2007, 10:16 PM

tinad is on a distinguished road

Forget expensive luggage, since the airlines destrys it anyway. Maybe look into Lands's End since they have no?'s asked return policy. I do have several pieces of Land's End that have not been destroyed. Good luck
Old Friday, January 5th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

i totally agree. i gave up on expensive. walmart and i are friendly enemies. i bought their $50 or less 30" jumbo bags and they do come in smaller sizes so you can vary if you like to. they are canvas and have that little expansion thing that gives you a few extra inches of depth. they have been to aruba several times, africa, by car and by air on at least 10 vacations over the last 3 years and when i needed another piece of luggage i went back and bought the same one because the others still look brand new (except for the cat fur since my cats lie on any luggage the moment you fill it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinad View Post
Forget expensive luggage, since the airlines destrys it anyway. Maybe look into Lands's End since they have no?'s asked return policy. I do have several pieces of Land's End that have not been destroyed. Good luck
Old Friday, January 5th, 2007, 11:37 PM

Cathy&Jim is on a distinguished road

Whatever luggage you choose, I suggest marking it with coloured duct tape. All our bags are black but with bright green duct tape in the shape of an X makes it easy to spot when waiting for bags.
Old Friday, January 5th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Aruba Expert

barbiesara2003 is on a distinguished road

After constantly buying luggage we decided to purchase "hard" luggage as we did before all of the soft fabric came out and I am happy to say that nothing has happened to it. We use it very often and other than a few scratches it is in perfect condition. Hope this helps.
Old Saturday, January 6th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Aruba Expert

AuntieMame is on a distinguished road

Boyt is the only luggage I will now buy. It is durable, has excellent features, and they sell it on ebags for reasonable prices.
Old Saturday, January 6th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

I love my Samsonite set bought at Macy's. It is tough and takes an airline beating very well. Lots of compartments too!

Cathy is right though - I need a colored tape on them because they look like everyone else's!

Old Saturday, January 6th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Aruba Expert

AuntieMame is on a distinguished road

We have red straps that go around our luggage and also I put some bright yellow hair scungies (the wide frilly kind) through the loop of our name tags. They are easy to identify.

It's a good idea to take a shot of your luggage with your cameraphone before turning it over to the gorillas. Just in case.
Old Tuesday, January 9th, 2007, 10:57 AM

jasejase is on a distinguished road

I also agree with the expensive luggage issue... I prefer the american tourister or low end samsonite stuff...

however last year we bought the set with the swivel casters on the bottom, and they are GREAT. Especially when waiting in the airport check in lines, etc. they take no effort to manuever!
Old Tuesday, January 9th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Almost Aruban

pgsoder is on a distinguished road

Featherlights at ebags.com
I bought one carry-on last year and I love it. It weights only 7 lbs. empty and it has zippers to make it expand as needed!!! (Of course we both checked our carry-on's because of the new rules.)
I am sure I bought it on line at ebags.com
I will mention here that I had a window seat and watched 2 guys THROW the luggage from their cart to the conveyor belt, some of which dropped to the ground, I have to say these dudes surely did MISHANDLE everyone's luggage on our flight.
And one thing I noticed when we were checking in our luggage for our Dec. trip from Atlanta.. Delta's weight limit is 55 lbs. per bag, but in Aruba it is 50# for Delta. I was 43 lbs. both directions and that was for 2 week stay. It seems I cut down on what I bring each time I go and I never run out of clean clothes.
Old Friday, January 12th, 2007, 08:05 PM

I have been looking into all the brands you have been suggesting. One thing I have noticed is amazon.com beats the prices on some listed on ebags. But ebags has better reviews from their customers. So check both when you are shopping.

Connie

Old Friday, January 12th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Aruba Expert

Carol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasejase
however last year we bought the set with the swivel casters on the bottom, and they are GREAT. Especially when waiting in the airport check in lines, etc. they take no effort to manuever!
Those are the Samsonite Spinners. I love them! I use the big Spinner for travel to Aruba, and I use the carry on Spinner when I travel for work. The carry on is great as it's so easy to maneuver in airports and especially down the aisle on airplanes.

Old Saturday, January 13th, 2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
Those are the Samsonite Spinners. I love them! I use the big Spinner for travel to Aruba, and I use the carry on Spinner when I travel for work. The carry on is great as it's so easy to maneuver in airports and especially down the aisle on airplanes.
The greatest advance in luggage... ever! as far as im concerned!
Old Monday, February 26th, 2007, 06:57 PM

Still haven't bought luggage and need it badly. Having a debate with hubby. I want spinners, he wants luggage made of ballistic nylon (he watched a tv travel special and they said they are the most durable). They don't sell spinners in sets made of ballistic nylon.

Anyone who has spinners, which brand did you buy and how durable? I love the idea that if I am walking and change my direction, they won't topple over.

Anyone who has ballistic nylon, which brand did you buy.

Thanks, Connie

Old Monday, February 26th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Aruba Expert

Carol is on a distinguished road

Connie the Spinners I bought a few years ago were Samsonite Spinners and they were made with ballistic nylon. They weren't sold as sets. I just bought a carry on and a larger one that I check.

They are very durable, and have lasted well so far.

I don't remember who I bought the carry ons from, but I googled and did a search for places that offered them. I did a comparison and went with the overall best price. They were shipped to my home, and the shipping was free.

I bought the larger ones at the Samsonite outlet store near me. They were having a sale, and the price was too good to pass up. None of the on-line stores could even come close.

Good Luck!

Old Tuesday, February 27th, 2007, 09:00 AM

carolrd is on a distinguished road

I have a smaller Delsey I use for weekend trips. Recently the bottom handle broke off, so I took it to be repaired. I was surprized when the woman handed me a brand new piece of luggage. It seems they didn't have the part, so they replaced the entire piece. Most reputable manufacturers will repair or replace your luggage free of charge.

For my larger piece, I use Travelpro. It is made of ballistic nylon and is light weight. It is very deep and fits alot of stuff in it. I love it.
Old Tuesday, February 27th, 2007, 02:49 PM

Cathy in Boston is on a distinguished road

I totally disagree with the general opinion on price. We bought two pieces of Briggs & Riley luggage YEARS ago, and it's still in great shape. If we had gone with another Samsonite (we were replacing a piece that had fallen apart after only a couple of years), we would have had to replace it at least once more since then.
Old Tuesday, February 27th, 2007, 04:23 PM

Jimbo Jones is on a distinguished road

For our honeymoon last year, we were able to return many sets of dishes (my wife got 24 place settings at her shower!) and together with a President's day sale @ Macys we purchased a set of Samsonite Silhouette spinners in the 24" and 28" sizes along with two matching 17" tote bags for carry-ons. They appear to be very durable and held up well in 2006. As Corrine noted, they have many different storage compartments for various clothing items. They are not cheap (I just looked at our regisrty and the set is currently listed @ $500) - but with the sale price and credits, they were almost free to us. We bought them in burgandy so as to make them a little more visible on the luggage carousel. My wife is very happy with them as they are almost effortless to wheel though the airport and hotels! We hope to have them for many years of traveling to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crammer315 View Post
Still haven't bought luggage and need it badly. Having a debate with hubby. I want spinners, he wants luggage made of ballistic nylon (he watched a tv travel special and they said they are the most durable). They don't sell spinners in sets made of ballistic nylon.

Anyone who has spinners, which brand did you buy and how durable? I love the idea that if I am walking and change my direction, they won't topple over.

Anyone who has ballistic nylon, which brand did you buy.

Thanks, Connie

Old Tuesday, February 27th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Aruba Expert

Kent is on a distinguished road

I will give you our story. We went to Hawaii 10 years ago with 2 cheap suitcases from the flee market at Florida. I think they were about $30 each. When we landed in Hawaii, they were both split down the middle. We went to the claims department and told them these were brand new and this was there first trip. They looked in the book and said they would give us $200 each. We smiled and said Thank You!!! We went to K-mart in Hawaii and they had Samsonite and the biggest one was $400 each but they was running a 50% off sale. We took the $400 and bought 2 big samsonite. They were yellow. We go to Aruba twice a year and they are both still in perfect!!!! 2 weeks ago when we were coming home from Aruba, we had long lines going thru customs because they were an hour late opening. We had a huge line. When we got to the big room to claim our luggage, they pulled all the luggage off the belt and the whole room was full. I spotted 1 yellow suitcase over there and the other one clear across the room. We was out of there in a flash and everyone else was scratching there heads. My vote is Samsonite and a bright color that sticks out like a sore thumb!!!!! Kent
Old Wednesday, February 28th, 2007, 09:35 AM

We bought the spinners at walmart... We actually went with american tourister brand... which is made by samsomite i believe. We had no intention of getting them, but they were on clearance. We got the 25", a carry on, and two smaller bags for like $50... we couldnt pass it up!

Samsonite most likely does hold up for longer... but the large 32" suit case that we have is an american tourister (not the spinner model), and it has been thrown around plenty of times, and is holding up perfectly. We wanted a bag that would be durable, but not break the bank due to the fact that the baggage people are not exactly gentle with these things!

The spinners are great... Some people do complain that its tough to get the spinners over a curb. Although we have not encountered this issue.

Good luck!
Old Wednesday, April 11th, 2007, 12:31 PM

i know this thread is older.. but i stumbled across a deal today pertaining to luggage... and immediately thought of this thread!

http://www2.jcpenney.com/jcp/Product...EXTERNAL|11451

this is the set that we have. great quality, and the large piece is a spinner. The greatest invention ever!

4 piece american tourister set - 79.99... today only!
Old Wednesday, April 11th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Almost Aruban

elisabeth_nj is on a distinguished road

wow, that's a great deal! Look at the orig. price! Like the one off to the right also...then if you click on that one...then the one off to the right of that is nice too...6 piece for 129 (orig. 300), but the one your showing is a better deal with nice colors too. Wish I needed them!
Old Wednesday, April 11th, 2007, 02:40 PM

Yeah, this is a pretty good deal... This is the same exact set that we have. We actually got our set at Walmart of all places on clearance last year for an unbeatable price of $50!! this price is still however excellent at 79.00!
Old Wednesday, April 11th, 2007, 05:01 PM

Tom H. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbiesara2003 View Post
After constantly buying luggage we decided to purchase "hard" luggage as we did before all of the soft fabric came out and I am happy to say that nothing has happened to it. We use it very often and other than a few scratches it is in perfect condition. Hope this helps.
Could you post what brand & where you purchased this type of luggage. We have been looking & can't locate the old fashioned "hard" luggage.

Thanks, Tom
Old Wednesday, April 11th, 2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
Could you post what brand & where you purchased this type of luggage. We have been looking & can't locate the old fashioned "hard" luggage.

Thanks, Tom
I havent purchased it myself... but i took a quick look online for you...

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/brow....asp?PIN=16920&
pretty cheap set...

also, Delsey and Heys appear to be two brands (Delsey being fairly high end) that make this style of luggage.

just go to froogle.google.com
search for 'hard luggage' or hard side luggage' and you will get a ton of hits.
Old Wednesday, April 11th, 2007, 08:06 PM

CruiseCAT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasejase View Post
4 piece american tourister set - 79.99... today only!
Thanks for posting the link. I spent the day today looking for a suitcase for my husband's upcoming Egypt trip and found nothing. To think if I had seen this before I wouldn't have had to leave the comfort of my ezchair in front of the computer.

Thanks again for posting this good deal.