Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Thursday, November 1st, 2007, 07:00 PM

DFRI is on a distinguished road
Default Sun poisoning

We were in Aruba back in 2004. I'm fair skinned with Swedish and Irish bloodlines. I almost always use sunscreen. Apply it 3-4 times a day when we were on the beach.

One day happened to be pretty overcast and I was lax. Next day had a rash on both legs. Nothing really helped. Maybe going in the water. Anyone else get sun poinoning while in Aruba? Any recommendations for relief.

This year, I don't care if I come back with a tan or not. Bringing 4 tubes of sunblock. And aloe. 43 days and counting.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, November 1st, 2007, 07:10 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sun poisoning

my first recommendation is the obvious. never miss using that sunscreen. you are fair skinned, start with at least spf 30. no matter what your friends tell you, our dematologist says that anything under 15 is a hazard for skin cancer so don't go below a 15. my husband has actually burned using 15.

to help ease sunburn, i would buy aruba aloe burn aid gel. it saved me on the few spots i missed. it really does ease the pain.

one other thing... the rash is often caused by oil based sunscreen. it blocks the pores and the rashes and bumps start. you might want to switch to an oil free sunscreen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFRI View Post
We were in Aruba back in 2004. I'm fair skinned with Swedish and Irish bloodlines. I almost always use sunscreen. Apply it 3-4 times a day when we were on the beach.

One day happened to be pretty overcast and I was lax. Next day had a rash on both legs. Nothing really helped. Maybe going in the water. Anyone else get sun poinoning while in Aruba? Any recommendations for relief.

This year, I don't care if I come back with a tan or not. Bringing 4 tubes of sunblock. And aloe. 43 days and counting.

Old Thursday, November 1st, 2007, 07:39 PM
Almost Aruban

charlierat is on a distinguished road

I'm going to add something that I'll bet you have already figured out. Clouds are completely transparent to ultraviolet rays. You can and will burn just as badly on a cloudy day as a day of bright sunshine.
Old Thursday, November 1st, 2007, 08:41 PM
Almost Aruban

kevin d is on a distinguished road

That Aruba Aloe burn aid gel Sherry suggested is amazing stuff. Not that I encourage you to test my theory, but I know by experience that you can get burned bad and somehow that gel makes everything better. Less pain, less burn - you wake up the next day and it's like it never happened!

Find a palapa, and get under it often. And reapply sunscreen.

Wait a minute - is there tequila in that goo??
Old Friday, November 2nd, 2007, 07:58 AM
Aruba Expert

Sandra is on a distinguished road

Natural Aloe is the best thing. It's great against any skin rash actually.
Old Friday, November 2nd, 2007, 11:05 AM

arubabob is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Sun poisoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin d View Post
That Aruba Aloe burn aid gel Sherry suggested is amazing stuff. Not that I encourage you to test my theory, but I know by experience that you can get burned bad and somehow that gel makes everything better. Less pain, less burn - you wake up the next day and it's like it never happened!

Find a palapa, and get under it often. And reapply sunscreen.

Wait a minute - is there tequila in that goo??
Can you buy this at the grocery store?
Old Friday, November 2nd, 2007, 11:51 AM
Aruba Expert

chip collector is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
Can you buy this at the grocery store?
At the grocery stores in Aruba, you sure can.
Old Monday, November 12th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Aruba Expert

charlescroes is on a distinguished road

Taking your skin conditions into considerations, I recommend that you consider the following:

Use the strongest block you can find
Use skin emolients at the end of the day.
Do not be fooled by sun shades, the sun reflects and you can get blitzed in the shade - especially Palapas.
If you have to use a burn soothing gel at night, you goofed in the day.
Depending on the sensitivity of your skin, consider:
Zinc on the nose
Floppy hat all the time
Handkerchief around neck
Something covering arms (especially when driving around)
Sun in half hour segments
Stay out of "mid-day" sun.

Sounds crummy but then skin cancer is a real bummer.

be well
charles
Old Monday, November 12th, 2007, 05:28 PM

bt0510 is on a distinguished road

If you do indeed get sun poisoning, I would NOT recommend aloe. I had sun poisoning back in 1993, and it was pretty bad. (the next portion of this post is a little gross) I had it so bad that my skin was bubbling with puss. I went to the doctor to get something to sooth it. I told him that I bought a ton of aloe, but he told me to definitely NOT use it. He said it would cause the affected area to burst the bubbles and it would cause excruciating pain.

The remedy he suggested was to continuously have cold/wet towels on the affected area. I did that, and 2 days later, I was back to normal.

IMO,
BT
Old Tuesday, November 13th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Aruba Expert

Sandra is on a distinguished road

Sun poisoning could also be a result of a bad reaction to certain sun blocks. I know that I react poorly to certain brand of sun milk, while the oil I have no problem with. I now use that australian brand (forgot the name) and I have no problem with that. But any other brand I can only use the oils and not the milks.
Old Tuesday, November 13th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

you are so right sandra. every time we went to aruba we all broke out in blisters and red rashes that looked and felt like sun poisoning. it took about 2-3 days and it started every time. but it didn't make any sense because we weren't exposed to the sun that much when it happened. it wound up being any sunscreen with an oil base. we can't use them. as soon as we bought oil free sunscreen the problem stopped.

i guess each of us is different as to what our skin will tolerate. we just need to all find and use some form of strong sunscreen because as charles says, 'the skin cancer is a bummer'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
Sun poisoning could also be a result of a bad reaction to certain sun blocks. I know that I react poorly to certain brand of sun milk, while the oil I have no problem with. I now use that australian brand (forgot the name) and I have no problem with that. But any other brand I can only use the oils and not the milks.
Old Tuesday, November 13th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Aruba Expert

Arubalisa is on a distinguished road

This was a persistent and very uncomfortable condition for me for many years. Before I found a solution, I did discover that an antihistamine like Benadryl helped the itching and swelling. The aloe like bt0510 mentioned... OMG, that was an absolute killer! Now I refuse to go near the stuff for after sun, though I do use Aruba Aloe "Face Care" daily year 'round. Guess the aloe just agravates the sunburn.

Anyway, for myself, my savior has been Coppertone Oil Free Sunblock Lotion. It comes in SPF 15, 30 and 45.
Old Wednesday, November 14th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Almost Aruban

seashelldiver is on a distinguished road

Another cause of severe sun posioning is caused by the sun and certain medications used while on vacation in the sun. Drugs that shouldn't be taken if your going to sunbath are :

NSAIDs- Non Steriod Anti-Inflamation Drugs, such as Advil, Motrin, Aleve, Ibuprophren.
Antibiotics
Diuretics
Anti-Depressants (why anyone would have to take those in Aruba is beyond me !!! Just being there is like being in heaven !!! LOL

Anyways these drugs cause photosensivity in the sun and can cause you to burn terribly. So if you take any of these classes of drugs be VERY CAREFUL sunning.
Old Wednesday, November 14th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Almost Aruban

seashelldiver is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Sun poisoning

FYI, some more info:

Photoreactions
Chemicals that produce a photoreaction (reaction with exposure to UV light) are called photoreactive agents or, more commonly, photosensitizers. After exposure to UV radiation either from natural sunlight or an artificial source such as tanning booths or even those "purple-lighted" mosquito zappers, these photosensitizers cause chemical changes that increase a person's sensitivity to light, causing the person to become photosensitized. Medications, food additives, and other products that contain photoreactive agents are called photosensitizing products.
FDA has also reported that photoreactive agents have been found in deodorants, antibacterial soaps, artificial sweeteners, fluorescent brightening agents for cellulose, nylon and wool fibers, naphthalene (mothballs), petroleum products, and in cadmium sulfide, a chemical injected into the skin during tattooing.
Photoreactive agents, such as Azulfidine, can cause both acute and chronic effects. Acute effects, from short-term exposure, include exaggerated sunburn-like skin conditions, eye burn, mild allergic reactions, hives, abnormal reddening of the skin, and eczema-like rashes with itching, swelling, blistering, oozing, and scaling of the skin. Chronic effects from long-term exposure include premature skin aging, stronger allergic reactions, cataracts, blood vessel damage, a weakened immune system, and skin cancer.
Widely used medications containing photoreactive agents include antihistamines, used in cold and allergy medicines; nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), used to control pain and inflammation in arthritis; and antibiotics, including the tetracyclines and the sulfonamides, or "sulfa" drugs. Sometimes this quality can be put to good medical use. For example, two well-known photoreactive chemicals, psoralens and coal-tar dye creams, are used together with UV lamps to treat psoriasis, a chronic skin condition characterized by bright red patches covered with silvery scales.

If you unsure about your meds, read the patient information sheet that your RpH has to supply with all newly prescribed drugs, or ask the Pharamcist or your Dr........
Old Monday, November 19th, 2007, 10:11 PM

david fish is on a distinguished road

keep your eyes open for the aloe man...You will know him when you see, and hear him....he sells pure aloe.....best stuff i have ever used..