Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old Tuesday, March 11th, 2008, 07:11 PM
harriske harriske is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: September 16th, 2007
Posts: 18
harriske is on a distinguished road
Default Supermarkets?

We're going to be staying at the Marriott Surf Club soon. Can anyone tell me if there are any supermarkets nearby.

thks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old Tuesday, March 11th, 2008, 08:08 PM
arubaforfamily's Avatar
arubaforfamily arubaforfamily is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 26th, 2005
Posts: 174
arubaforfamily is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Supermarkets?

It would be worth spending the cab fare to go to Ling and Sons. We stayed at the Renaissance downtown our first year and walked to a local store for the last few days of things and ended up spending a small fortune. I don't know of any groceries in the high rise area though.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old Tuesday, March 11th, 2008, 09:15 PM
tinad tinad is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 1st, 2004
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 94
tinad is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Supermarkets?

The Marriott has a mini mart and I think a few blocks away there is a small grocery store. You coulkd very easily take the public bus in front of Marriott for 1 maybe litlle more and get off @ supermarket near town and then take the bus back. I have taken the bus and think IMHO it is safe during the day. If you buy too much then just take a cab back.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old Tuesday, March 11th, 2008, 09:19 PM
arubaforfamily's Avatar
arubaforfamily arubaforfamily is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 26th, 2005
Posts: 174
arubaforfamily is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Supermarkets?

I agree-bus there, cab home with the bags!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old Wednesday, March 12th, 2008, 09:09 AM
bhoffdhoff bhoffdhoff is offline
Member
 
Join Date: April 12th, 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 548
bhoffdhoff is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Supermarkets?

We even manage taking the bus back. We each take a back pack and one durable tote bag. The back packs can handle most of the heavy stuff. We usually get several bottles of mixers, large bottles of pop, milk, and a six pack of beer. That stuff goes in the back packs. All the lighter stuff goes in the tote bags. We buy mainly beverages, breakfast foods, and snacks. I don't do alot of cooking. We usually go to the store twice a week. Hope this helps.

Bobbie
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old Wednesday, March 12th, 2008, 09:27 AM
elisabeth_nj's Avatar
elisabeth_nj elisabeth_nj is offline
Almost Aruban
 
Join Date: April 28th, 2004
Location: Point Pleasant Beach, NJ
Posts: 1,553
elisabeth_nj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Supermarkets?

We take the bus there every trip and a cab back (no way could we carry what we buy). Its real easy. If you just want to stick with Hong King instead its right off the bus route! Ling & Sons is more of a walk from the bus stop and IMO a pain to get a cab back. If there are no cabs in the taxi stand at the supermarket you could wait a long time. Being right on the main road at Hong King its much much easier! The bell captains have always been great and come to meet the cab with a luggage cart to bring the groceries to our unit.
__________________
"These are a few of my favorite things"
...Elisa
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old Wednesday, March 12th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Elaine S's Avatar
Elaine S Elaine S is offline
Almost Aruban Moderator
 
Join Date: April 26th, 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 6,954
Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Supermarkets?

When there's not a car available, I've taken the little Divi tram to the end of the line, and from there Ling's is about a 10 minute walk. It's like a real adventure!! lol

I've never had a problem getting a cab back... if one's not waiting, the service desk will call and get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_nj View Post
We take the bus there every trip and a cab back (no way could we carry what we buy). Its real easy. If you just want to stick with Hong King instead its right off the bus route! Ling & Sons is more of a walk from the bus stop and IMO a pain to get a cab back. If there are no cabs in the taxi stand at the supermarket you could wait a long time. Being right on the main road at Hong King its much much easier! The bell captains have always been great and come to meet the cab with a luggage cart to bring the groceries to our unit.
__________________
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old Wednesday, March 12th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Weed Weed is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: June 14th, 2005
Location: Alexandria VA
Posts: 275
Weed is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Supermarkets?

There are two mini-marts at the Marriott-one in the Surf Club and the other off the lobby of the Ocean Club (towards the hotel). Also a mini-mart in Playa Linda. The mini-mart near the Burger King on the main road has higher prices, at least the time or two I went there. It was also a bit of a hike (about a mile each way from the Marriott). Of course, none of these as cheap as the big markets, but if all you want is some juice and mixers, it's not worth the extra bus and cab fare. I sometimes get a serving of juice at McDonalds in the morning and a muffin or doughnut from Dunkin Donuts across from Playa Linda or a bagel from the deli. DD's is PACKED every morning when I stop by on the way back from my jog.
__________________
Lynda (aka Weed)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old Thursday, March 20th, 2008, 02:11 PM
zerokarma zerokarma is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: January 28th, 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 255
zerokarma is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Supermarkets?

I agree its probably better to go to Ling and Sons, bus or cab it there, get what you need then cab it back.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old Sunday, March 23rd, 2008, 07:55 PM
canadave canadave is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: September 22nd, 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7
canadave is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Supermarkets?

What's with all you folks going to Ling and Sons? Do you own stock? Ling's is nowhere near as good as Super Food right next door. The prices are identical and there's no fooling around with Florins. They not only accept $US, but they give change on the spot without needing to exchange at the customer service counter. To me, the staff seems to be much more friendly, too.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #11  
Old Sunday, March 23rd, 2008, 08:03 PM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 49
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Supermarkets?

dave, when was the last time you were at lings? it is no longer next door to super food. it is behind all of the others in a beautiful clean new building that has a great selection. they do not send you to customer service to get usd. they convert from afl right in line.

although i use all of the stores, lings does have the best selection in the most modern store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadave View Post
What's with all you folks going to Ling and Sons? Do you own stock? Ling's is nowhere near as good as Super Food right next door. The prices are identical and there's no fooling around with Florins. They not only accept $US, but they give change on the spot without needing to exchange at the customer service counter. To me, the staff seems to be much more friendly, too.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #12  
Old Sunday, March 23rd, 2008, 08:17 PM
Kent's Avatar
Kent Kent is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: April 1st, 2006
Location: Indiana
Age: 55
Posts: 472
Kent is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: Supermarkets?

Dave, We have been to Aruba 15 times for 3 weeks each and Ling & Sons is by far the best place to go.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #13  
Old Monday, March 24th, 2008, 01:03 AM
arubabob's Avatar
arubabob arubabob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: April 28th, 2004
Location: oklahoma
Age: 76
Posts: 1,403
arubabob is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Supermarkets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
dave, when was the last time you were at lings? it is no longer next door to super food. it is behind all of the others in a beautiful clean new building that has a great selection. they do not send you to customer service to get usd. they convert from afl right in line.

although i use all of the stores, lings does have the best selection in the most modern store.
Sorry to have to disagree with you my queen, but in November we went to ling etc 2 times and they gave us change in Florins and we had to go to the front desk to get US dollars.
To answer Daves question, we take our rental car to the grocery store, either Ling or Kong Hing. We stayed at the Surf club in Nov and the minimart in there is extremly high. If you only want a few things like colas and chips its fine, but if you are going to get breakfast and lunch stuff too, go to one of the stores.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #14  
Old Monday, March 24th, 2008, 07:09 AM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 49
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Supermarkets?

weird, i have never had to do that. of course usually i use credit card or exact change but i thought i remembered getting change. of course, as i get older the words 'thought' and 'remember' do have different meanings, lol.

(and don't be sorry to disagree. information is important and if i am wrong i should be corrected. even royalty can be wrong, lol.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
Sorry to have to disagree with you my queen, but in November we went to ling etc 2 times and they gave us change in Florins and we had to go to the front desk to get US dollars.
To answer Daves question, we take our rental car to the grocery store, either Ling or Kong Hing. We stayed at the Surf club in Nov and the minimart in there is extremly high. If you only want a few things like colas and chips its fine, but if you are going to get breakfast and lunch stuff too, go to one of the stores.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #15  
Old Monday, March 24th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Elaine S's Avatar
Elaine S Elaine S is offline
Almost Aruban Moderator
 
Join Date: April 26th, 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 6,954
Elaine S is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Supermarkets?

Bob is right my queen. You do get your change from the cashier in florins, and then to the service desk for conversion to US dollars or coins. Is the mind the first thing go go or is it something else??? I forget!
__________________
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #16  
Old Monday, March 24th, 2008, 07:47 AM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 49
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Supermarkets?

i must respect my elders. i must respect my elders. i must ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine S View Post
Bob is right my queen. You do get your change from the cashier in florins, and then to the service desk for conversion to US dollars or coins. Is the mind the first thing go go or is it something else??? I forget!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #17  
Old Monday, March 24th, 2008, 08:12 AM
canadave canadave is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: September 22nd, 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7
canadave is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Supermarkets?

Sherry: I just got back from Aruba last week and I received Florins in change and had to exchange them at the service desk, and I do realize Lings is not directly next door, it was , more or less, a figure of speech.
Canadave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #18  
Old Monday, March 24th, 2008, 08:23 AM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 49
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Supermarkets?

aha! 3 people found me wrong, lol. see, i am not perfect although close too it, hahahaha.

dave, sorry if i misunderstood. i assumed by the 'next door' that you hadn't been there since they went modern. i just personally find more to buy there although as i said, i do go to the others. i actually don't mind food shopping in aruba because it is great to try new products. i have a weakness for lings fresh squeezed grapefruit and orange juices. they are both wonderful. it is our first stop every trip. it's probably the only healthy intake of the entire trip, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadave View Post
Sherry: I just got back from Aruba last week and I received Florins in change and had to exchange them at the service desk, and I do realize Lings is not directly next door, it was , more or less, a figure of speech.
Canadave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 2006 -2011 - CaribMedia.com