Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Saturday, March 14th, 2009, 10:12 PM

Cathy&Jim is on a distinguished road
Default Travelling with Friends

Okay Aruba lovers, I need your expertise!

Heading to Aruba next month for the 14th time. Coming with us are first timers. My girlfriends husband has lived on a farm his entire life and has never left home, never seen the ocean nor walked a sandy beach. So, the WOW factor is important for us and we need to show them the time of their lives.

We are going AI which is the only way for us snow birds to afford it so dining out will not be important. We will be renting a car for a few days to show them the island. Besides the obvious lighthouse, baby beach....is there some place we should take them for that 'wow factor'? Neither like to snorkle so taking them to baby beach might be a wasted trip.

I could really use some help here since we normally are beach bums and much rather listen to other vacationers experiences then actually doing them. This time will be different so if you can suggest something, I'll be very thankful!

Cath
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Saturday, March 14th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Travelling with Friends

cath, i really would suggest a long drive along the north coast. for someone who has never seen the ocean, those crashing waves will be awe inspiring. speaking of which, alto vista chapel is beautiful. add to that at least one of the rock formations. let them climb to the top if they have the energy (you didn't tell us age or health), the ostrich farm and a sunset cruise. and please make sure you bring super sunscreen. they may get sun on the farm but not the strong sun of aruba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy&Jim View Post

Heading to Aruba next month for the 14th time. Coming with us are first timers. My girlfriends husband has lived on a farm his entire life and has never left home, never seen the ocean nor walked a sandy beach. So, the WOW factor is important for us and we need to show them the time of their lives.

We are going AI which is the only way for us snow birds to afford it so dining out will not be important. We will be renting a car for a few days to show them the island. Besides the obvious lighthouse, baby beach....is there some place we should take them for that 'wow factor'? Neither like to snorkle so taking them to baby beach might be a wasted trip.

I could really use some help here since we normally are beach bums and much rather listen to other vacationers experiences then actually doing them. This time will be different so if you can suggest something, I'll be very thankful!

Cath
Old Saturday, March 14th, 2009, 10:46 PM

Your the best Sherry! Thank you! I remember seeing those waves for the first time and feeling so overwhelmed! Excellent idea!

We will be going to the Alta Vista Church for sure along with the lighthouse and in to town.

Thanks for the reminder about suntan lotion. I didn't even consider them not knowing better. Guess I'll be Mother Hen slabbing it on them

We are all in our late 40's and pretty active but not active enough to climb a mountain

Thanks again Sherry!
Old Saturday, March 14th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Travelling with Friends

Cathy, being a beach bum myself, there's nothing more peaceful to me then sitting on the beach with a nice bottle of wine, some cheese and fruit, and watching the sunset. Of course, that's after the WOW!

I believe Aruba has one of the most beautiful sunsets... and, watching it with good friends makes it even more beautiful.
Old Saturday, March 14th, 2009, 11:20 PM

arubabob is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Travelling with Friends

Quote:

Cath
we took a couple with us that sound almost identical to your friends except that neither one had ever been out of Oklahoma. Stan thought Aruba was somewhere in Texas. You say they dont like to snorkel, but if theyve never been off the farm, how do they know. Snorkeling or swimming in a pond, river or lake is not at all the same as snorkeling or swimming in the ocean. Stan and Julie had never been snorkeling and were very leary of doing it. We took them to baby beach and showed them how it was done and they loved it. We did not force them, we just said we were going to do it and would be happy to show them how. We ended up snorkeling 3 times on that trip with them. They were surprised at how buoyant the sea water is. They enjoyed the gold smelter ruins and the sea view there as well as the little church. Also the natural bridge was still up at that time. They loved the beach and swimming in the ocean. If all else fails, there is a submarine and semi sub. They may just be a little leary about getting in the ocean, but that can change when they see how beautiful and clear it is on Aruba.
Old Sunday, March 15th, 2009, 01:17 AM

bhoffdhoff is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Travelling with Friends

We brought friends last year and did a half day jeep tour w/ABC. It was so much fun!! While I have never done one, I think a sunset cruise would be nice.

Bobbie
Old Sunday, March 15th, 2009, 05:03 AM

EHampite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
cath, i really would suggest a long drive along the north coast. for someone who has never seen the ocean, those crashing waves will be awe inspiring. speaking of which, alto vista chapel is beautiful. add to that at least one of the rock formations. let them climb to the top if they have the energy (you didn't tell us age or health), the ostrich farm and a sunset cruise. and please make sure you bring super sunscreen. they may get sun on the farm but not the strong sun of aruba.
I have to agree with you, Sherry. Every time we go to Aruba, we drive along the north coast - it's such a different world from the resort side, and we love it.

Also, we would recommend Casibari Rock rather than Ayo. You can climb to the top, and it's not a difficult climb at all, and not very long (there were elderly people going up the day we went), and the views from the top of the rock are fabulous. Also, the gardens that surround the rock are very peaceful and cool to walk through. We enjoy this spot often.

Another suggestion - any interest in visiting some of the caves? They are not my thing, but others enjoy them.

Have fun - it's always nice to watch the faces of first time visitors when they experience Aruba!
Old Sunday, March 15th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

we had something similar bob with the snorkeling. it wound up that one of them loved it and the other was terrified. although both of them swore they could swim, they both did a dog paddle type of swimming where their heads never got in the water. the guy had no clue how to float and the woman did catch on and loved baby beach. it was almost worth the entire trip to see how excited she was to learn something new and have so much fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
we took a couple with us that sound almost identical to your friends except that neither one had ever been out of Oklahoma. Stan thought Aruba was somewhere in Texas. You say they dont like to snorkel, but if theyve never been off the farm, how do they know. Snorkeling or swimming in a pond, river or lake is not at all the same as snorkeling or swimming in the ocean. Stan and Julie had never been snorkeling and were very leary of doing it. We took them to baby beach and showed them how it was done and they loved it. We did not force them, we just said we were going to do it and would be happy to show them how. We ended up snorkeling 3 times on that trip with them. They were surprised at how buoyant the sea water is. They enjoyed the gold smelter ruins and the sea view there as well as the little church. Also the natural bridge was still up at that time. They loved the beach and swimming in the ocean. If all else fails, there is a submarine and semi sub. They may just be a little leary about getting in the ocean, but that can change when they see how beautiful and clear it is on Aruba.
Old Sunday, March 15th, 2009, 09:37 AM

aaahruba is on a distinguished road

If you take them out on the Tranquillo, it will be a lovely day of sailing even if they decide they hate snorkeling. Great lunch, great crew and the spots they go, you can stand in water up to your waist and the fish come right to you - no swimming underwater even necessary. Altho for those who want to give it a shot, the snorkeling is awesome!

Old Friday, March 20th, 2009, 10:09 PM

Thank you everyone for the great ideas and laughs! I can't wait to show off Aruba to my friends. Fingers crossed this will be the vacation of their lives. Wish us luck and I promise to let you know how it all worked out! I wrote down all your suggestions and the plan is to do them all. I will try to take as many pictures as I can of their expressions...that is my goal! I can't wait! The thought of someone who has never seen the ocean, a beach or even been on an airplane before is so exciting. This should be a lot of fun! I can't wait!

Thank you all so much!

Cath
Old Saturday, March 21st, 2009, 09:13 AM
Banned

forumdeep is on a distinguished road

Hello! I'm planning a trip there very soon. Are pets allowed on the beaches? My idea of a holiday - a can of beer with my pet sitting beside me.
Old Saturday, March 21st, 2009, 12:34 PM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

Cathy - As a non-athletic person, I would recommend a sunset cruise - Mi Dushi is loads of fun or dinner at the Flying Fishbone. That is a "wow" to me!

Old Saturday, March 21st, 2009, 04:41 PM
Aruba Expert

PhoenixGirl is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Travelling with Friends

We spent a week with my husband's sister and her boyfriend from Michigan. He had never been on a vacation before (unless you count Viet Nam, he said).

Well, he loved EVERYTHING about Aruba, especially the color of the water and walking on the sand! We didn't do anything special. He just loved being in such a beautiful place.
Old Sunday, March 22nd, 2009, 11:17 AM
Aruba Expert

ArubaMary is on a distinguished road

It doesn't matter their religion----I always love the ride up to the Chapel at Alto Vista. It is a beautiful spot. You can go into the chapel, and walk around the grounds, climbing over the cacti, an occasional goat, etc. and view the ocean on the wild side. When you are approaching the area where the chapel is, you will also see the (water tower). It may say, "no trespassing" but you can ride right up that hill, park the car and take pictures of the entire island from there. It is extremely windy up there but you will love the view. Another side trip---take them up through the Malmok area, past the lighthouse, and continue along the dirt roads past the gold mines and all the inlets where the waves are crashing----great spots to take pictures. Even though they don't want to snorkel, you will still want to take them past Rogers Beach and Baby Beach to snap pictures. The animal cemetery is unique. Oh, don't forget the jail and the old golf course. Drop in to the golf course office and possibly buy a polo shirt. You will know whether or not they will want to see Charlie's Bar. A side trip to the water treatment plan --- get a tour --- very, very informative. Would they like the Balashi tour? If so, you have to make an appointment. You can't wear sandals, and probably have to wear long pants (not sure of that). No matter how many times I'm a frequent visitor to Aruba, usually rent a car for a month and just love exploring the countryside. Enjoy
Old Sunday, March 22nd, 2009, 05:29 PM

Where exactly is the pet cemetary? That sounds interesting!
Old Sunday, March 22nd, 2009, 05:41 PM
Almost Aruban

charlierat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Where exactly is the pet cemetary? That sounds interesting!
East of Baby Beach. Instead of turning into the parking lot at Baby Beach, keep driving straight (or as straight as you can on that road). About 1/4 to a 1/2 mile past Baby Beach, you will see the grave markers all over the place. Look real hard and you might find the marker for my dog, Prince (who died and was buried in the pet cemetery circa 1962).
Old Sunday, March 22nd, 2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlierat View Post
East of Baby Beach. Instead of turning into the parking lot at Baby Beach, keep driving straight (or as straight as you can on that road). About 1/4 to a 1/2 mile past Baby Beach, you will see the grave markers all over the place. Look real hard and you might find the marker for my dog, Prince (who died and was buried in the pet cemetery circa 1962).

Thank you and I will look for your loved dog Prince. I hope we can find it though! Four years ago we tried to find Baby Beach and we must have driven by the same construction workers six times. So many times they kept waving at us....it was pretty funny!
Old Sunday, March 22nd, 2009, 06:43 PM
Almost Aruban

charlierat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thank you and I will look for your loved dog Prince. I hope we can find it though! Four years ago we tried to find Baby Beach and we must have driven by the same construction workers six times. So many times they kept waving at us....it was pretty funny!
Well, I hope you now know the way to Baby Beach! If not, I can help in that department, too. And, if you find any traces of Prince's grave, please take a picture. Two years ago, I couldn't find him or the mangrove he was buried under so I suspect that his last traces are long gone.