Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Monday, June 29th, 2009, 09:13 PM

mambo is on a distinguished road
Default Tropic car rental

It seems that Hans of Tropic Car Rental has a big ego problem. This is the
2nd yr in a row that I have tried to rent off Hans. The first time I e-mailed him to ask for a quote which he gave me. The mistake was waiting a couple of weeks to get back to him. When I wanted to book the car he
said he was all booked up for that time. This yr, I asked for a quote again and told him I didn't have my flight reservations and would get back to him. After I made my flight arrangments I e-mailed him to give him the time I would be flying in and again he said he was all booked up for that time, which by the way isn't until the end of Oct. I believe he thinks that I was comparing prices because I waited a few weeks to get back to him. I
already know from reading this board that he is well liked and that is why I
wanted to rent a car from him. Who needs him, there are to many other places to rent a car.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Monday, June 29th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tropic car rental

actually, hans has a small number of cars and a pretty good following. honestly he has no ego at all. i booked my rental with him in january for august because i know he gets booked quickly, since he keeps only that small fleet.

if you didn't set up the reservation as a certainty with all pertinent information when he said he had cars it is very possible that he did run out of cars a few weeks later when you contacted him again.

i'm in no way saying you are wrong but you need to understand that it isn't ego but quantity and timing that is the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambo View Post
2nd yr in a row that I have tried to rent off Hans. The first time I e-mailed him to ask for a quote which he gave me. The mistake was waiting a couple of weeks to get back to him. When I wanted to book the car he
said he was all booked up for that time. This yr, I asked for a quote again and told him I didn't have my flight reservations and would get back to him. After I made my flight arrangments I e-mailed him to give him the time I would be flying in and again he said he was all booked up for that time, which by the way isn't until the end of Oct. I believe he thinks that I was comparing prices because I waited a few weeks to get back to him. I
wanted to rent a car from him. Who needs him, there are to many other places to rent a car.
Old Monday, June 29th, 2009, 11:52 PM

arubabob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambo View Post
I did exactly as you have done above. Got the quote from Hans then booked with him a week later and he had a car for me. So I dont think it has anything to do with ego, just as Sherry said, bad timing. Im sure Hans knows that most people will check rates with other companies, thats just smart shopping, not an affront to someone personaly. I certainly check rates with other car companies. Lowest price is not always the best deal though. I could get a rental for about the same at 2 other companies this year, but I decided to give Hans a try. Glad I did. It was the easiest, most convenient car rental I ever did. I will use him again next year provided he has a vehicle and a competative rate.
Old Tuesday, June 30th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Aruba Expert

Kent is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: Tropic car rental

I am in Aruba right now and I rented from Hans and last night I met him at the airport to get the 2nd car for my friends. Hans is the best guy you could ever deal with. He is always there when he says and I always book at least 6 months out and he has always had a care for me. I rent about 6 weeks a year from him. Don't give up on Hans. Just try and book at least 6 months out. Kent

29th trip Nov 4th for 5 months!!
Snorkeling at Mangel Halto, day or night, using "bladefish water scooters", reasonable pricing, all equip provided and transport from your resort. Also free pics and a cd with over 200 Aruba pics.Email Kent Gerber at kentgerber@adamswells.com or Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call local: 745-7459 or visit:
www.arubabobsnorkeling.com
Old Thursday, July 2nd, 2009, 10:34 AM
Aruba Expert

PhoenixGirl is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Tropic car rental

We are also Hans fans! Knowing how small a company he has and how consistently excellent the service is, we book WAY in advance of our trips. You can get him your flight information later, just confirm the reservation and he will honor it.

He has no ego at all as far as I can tell, and we have rented from him three times a year for the last 10 years. He's one of the good guys.
Old Thursday, July 2nd, 2009, 12:00 PM
Aruba Expert

ArubaMary is on a distinguished road

Hi Mambo,
I'm sorry to hear you were disatisfied with Hans. I believe, as does Phoenix Girl, that because of Hans having a limited number of cars it is imperative that one sends a request soon after finalizing one's time in Aruba. Example----I have rented for mid February last week, and have received a confirmation from him. Hans is the consumate gentleman and is an excellent businessman. I have rented from Hans for many, many years. I have recommended him to countless people from all over. Not one of those people have had anything but accolades about Hans. As you say, however, there are many people in the rental business. I hope you find satisfaction from another rental company.
Mary
Old Friday, July 3rd, 2009, 11:28 AM

john is on a distinguished road

I emailed Hans 2 days ago regarding a car for our 5 week stay in Jan-Feb. He replied promptly wiwth a very good price and we are set. He said he will have a card with our name on it at the arrival terminal, go to the parking lots across the street and we can pick up the car and head out. Sounds pretty good to me.
Old Friday, July 3rd, 2009, 05:34 PM

cassie is on a distinguished road

Good luck-we rented from hans last year. Picking up the car was a hassle. When we returned it and were trying to see someone to pick it up the security said we would be towed for stopping. They knew it was his car. We had to drive in and out of the airport 3 times before someone spotted us. He didn't have a sign so we had no idea who to look for. The savings on the car is not worth the hassle.
Old Friday, July 3rd, 2009, 11:10 PM

arubabob is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Tropic car rental

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassie View Post
Good luck-we rented from hans last year. Picking up the car was a hassle. When we returned it and were trying to see someone to pick it up the security said we would be towed for stopping. They knew it was his car. We had to drive in and out of the airport 3 times before someone spotted us. He didn't have a sign so we had no idea who to look for. The savings on the car is not worth the hassle.
We had no problems with picking up or returning. Filled out all the paperwork on a form that Hans emailed me. Hans was in the airport with a sign when we got there even though the flight was almost an hour late. Car was parked in front of arrivals and we loaded luggage. Gave Hans the paperwork, he gave me the key and we drove off. Returned car to airport monday morning of departure. Parked in front of departing flights dropoff, took our luggage inside and when I came out Hans was standing next to the car. Gave him the keys, he gave me a receipt. Could not have been easier. Our flight in ws around 10pm and we arrived for departure at 6 am, so it may be different if you are coming in on or departing on an afternoon flight. We did not see any police or security either time.
Old Saturday, July 4th, 2009, 06:39 AM

EHampite is on a distinguished road

We too used Tropic and had no problems at either end. Hans was waiting for us even tho we missed our connection in Philly due to weather and came in on a flight a few hours later! There was Hans waiting for us - how did he know?? We walked across to the parking area, loaded our luggage, gave him the paper work and off we went.

Dropping off the car was easy, too. Got to Departures around 1:00 and he was there waiting for us - we handed him the keys, unloaded our luggage and were done!

Very easy process!
Old Saturday, July 4th, 2009, 07:49 AM

cassie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
we had no problems with picking up or returning. Filled out all the paperwork on a form that hans emailed me. Hans was in the airport with a sign when we got there even though the flight was almost an hour late. Car was parked in front of arrivals and we loaded luggage. Gave hans the paperwork, he gave me the key and we drove off. Returned car to airport monday morning of departure. Parked in front of departing flights dropoff, took our luggage inside and when i came out hans was standing next to the car. Gave him the keys, he gave me a receipt. Could not have been easier. Our flight in ws around 10pm and we arrived for departure at 6 am, so it may be different if you are coming in on or departing on an afternoon flight. We did not see any police or security either time.
we arrived around 10:00 a.m. And the cars were 3 deep and lots of people. It was impossible to look for the return person because they cannot have a sign. When we pulled up and stopped to look the security said that if we did not move we would be towed . After 3 trips around the airport we finally saw someone wave us over. The car rental price is a lot cheaper than others. Its too bad that the car rental companies not on the airport have to do this.
Old Saturday, July 4th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Administrator

cassie, you are right that it is sad the rental companies need to do this. it has become a big problem for them and for that reason alone i would use an off airport rental company. i like keeping the balance of power with the people who work the hardest to make a living instead of those who had the big bucks to bid for one of the 12 spaces open at the airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassie View Post
we arrived around 10:00 a.m. And the cars were 3 deep and lots of people. It was impossible to look for the return person because they cannot have a sign. When we pulled up and stopped to look the security said that if we did not move we would be towed . After 3 trips around the airport we finally saw someone wave us over. The car rental price is a lot cheaper than others. Its too bad that the car rental companies not on the airport have to do this.
Old Saturday, July 4th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Aruba Expert

droykelly is on a distinguished road

Help me out please.................... I'm renting from Hans for the first time this year because of all the excellent recommendations I've read here. What's the secret to finding him when it's time to return the car?

I still have months before we go but I'm a planner & worrier so this information will be greatly appreciated!

I will not sit on the porch and watch life go by without participating!
Old Saturday, July 4th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Administrator

my first suggestion would be to write to him and ask. my second suggestion would be to remind me to take a picture of him and post it when i am there in august and of anyone he has helping him. that will make life a lot easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by droykelly View Post
Help me out please.................... I'm renting from Hans for the first time this year because of all the excellent recommendations I've read here. What's the secret to finding him when it's time to return the car?

I still have months before we go but I'm a planner & worrier so this information will be greatly appreciated!
Old Saturday, July 4th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Aruba Expert

Eagle-Beach Boy is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I phone or E him to let him know at what time we will be arriving at the airport. I know what he looks like so that helps.

Either Hans or Dennis will spot your car and wave to you.

Sometimes if there are more than one car arriving at the same time you might have to circle until he returns from taking the previous car of airport property. It only takes a couple of minutes. Don't panic.

I ussually unload the bags onto a cart and either myself or my wife will circle until he returns.

Still alot easier than returning to the other rentals on property.

Old Saturday, July 4th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Aruba Expert

PhoenixGirl is on a distinguished road

When your arriving plane is late getting in because of taking off late, Hans already knows this because he has your flight number which he keeps checking on the internet to see if flights he is meeting will be on time or arriving later than expected.
Old Saturday, July 4th, 2009, 02:13 PM

Tom H. is on a distinguished road

As Eagle Beach Boy said, it will either Hans or Dennis meeting you at the arrival gate when you leave. Let Hans know if you are concerned.

When you arrive in Aruba, it will probably Hans that meets you at the arrival gate, and he will have a sign.

Quote:

Old Saturday, July 4th, 2009, 03:12 PM

EHampite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixGirl View Post
When your arriving plane is late getting in because of taking off late, Hans already knows this because he has your flight number which he keeps checking on the internet to see if flights he is meeting will be on time or arriving later than expected.
We figured that would be the case if we were on the same flight - however, our original flight continued on to Aruba without us because we had to de-ice in Boston. When arriving in Philly, we were put on different flights and flight numbers getting us there 3 hours later. How Hans knew we were on a different flight is beyond me! But were we pleased to see him!
Old Sunday, July 5th, 2009, 01:15 PM

Darryl is on a distinguished road

We have never not used Tropic!! Reasons: 1. Reliability. 2. Fairness. 3. Clean cars. 4. Fair pricing. 5 Hans. 6. Dennis. 7. Hans. 8. Dennis.

Get the picture???

Old Sunday, July 5th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Aruba Expert

Eagle-Beach Boy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
we have never not used tropic!! Reasons: 1. Reliability. 2. Fairness. 3. Clean cars. 4. Fair pricing. 5 hans. 6. Dennis. 7. Hans. 8. Dennis.

Get the picture???
no.............