Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old Monday, June 29th, 2009, 09:13 PM
mambo mambo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: April 24th, 2007
Posts: 21
mambo is on a distinguished road
Default Tropic car rental

It seems that Hans of Tropic Car Rental has a big ego problem. This is the
2nd yr in a row that I have tried to rent off Hans. The first time I e-mailed him to ask for a quote which he gave me. The mistake was waiting a couple of weeks to get back to him. When I wanted to book the car he
said he was all booked up for that time. This yr, I asked for a quote again and told him I didn't have my flight reservations and would get back to him. After I made my flight arrangments I e-mailed him to give him the time I would be flying in and again he said he was all booked up for that time, which by the way isn't until the end of Oct. I believe he thinks that I was comparing prices because I waited a few weeks to get back to him. I
already know from reading this board that he is well liked and that is why I
wanted to rent a car from him. Who needs him, there are to many other places to rent a car.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old Monday, June 29th, 2009, 09:21 PM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 50
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tropic car rental

actually, hans has a small number of cars and a pretty good following. honestly he has no ego at all. i booked my rental with him in january for august because i know he gets booked quickly, since he keeps only that small fleet.

if you didn't set up the reservation as a certainty with all pertinent information when he said he had cars it is very possible that he did run out of cars a few weeks later when you contacted him again.

i'm in no way saying you are wrong but you need to understand that it isn't ego but quantity and timing that is the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambo View Post
It seems that Hans of Tropic Car Rental has a big ego problem. This is the
2nd yr in a row that I have tried to rent off Hans. The first time I e-mailed him to ask for a quote which he gave me. The mistake was waiting a couple of weeks to get back to him. When I wanted to book the car he
said he was all booked up for that time. This yr, I asked for a quote again and told him I didn't have my flight reservations and would get back to him. After I made my flight arrangments I e-mailed him to give him the time I would be flying in and again he said he was all booked up for that time, which by the way isn't until the end of Oct. I believe he thinks that I was comparing prices because I waited a few weeks to get back to him. I
already know from reading this board that he is well liked and that is why I
wanted to rent a car from him. Who needs him, there are to many other places to rent a car.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old Monday, June 29th, 2009, 11:52 PM
arubabob's Avatar
arubabob arubabob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: April 28th, 2004
Location: oklahoma
Age: 76
Posts: 1,403
arubabob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tropic car rental

Quote:
Originally Posted by mambo View Post
It seems that Hans of Tropic Car Rental has a big ego problem. This is the
2nd yr in a row that I have tried to rent off Hans. The first time I e-mailed him to ask for a quote which he gave me. The mistake was waiting a couple of weeks to get back to him. When I wanted to book the car he
said he was all booked up for that time. This yr, I asked for a quote again and told him I didn't have my flight reservations and would get back to him. After I made my flight arrangments I e-mailed him to give him the time I would be flying in and again he said he was all booked up for that time, which by the way isn't until the end of Oct. I believe he thinks that I was comparing prices because I waited a few weeks to get back to him. I
already know from reading this board that he is well liked and that is why I
wanted to rent a car from him. Who needs him, there are to many other places to rent a car.
I did exactly as you have done above. Got the quote from Hans then booked with him a week later and he had a car for me. So I dont think it has anything to do with ego, just as Sherry said, bad timing. Im sure Hans knows that most people will check rates with other companies, thats just smart shopping, not an affront to someone personaly. I certainly check rates with other car companies. Lowest price is not always the best deal though. I could get a rental for about the same at 2 other companies this year, but I decided to give Hans a try. Glad I did. It was the easiest, most convenient car rental I ever did. I will use him again next year provided he has a vehicle and a competative rate.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old Tuesday, June 30th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Kent's Avatar
Kent Kent is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: April 1st, 2006
Location: Indiana
Age: 56
Posts: 472
Kent is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: Tropic car rental

I am in Aruba right now and I rented from Hans and last night I met him at the airport to get the 2nd car for my friends. Hans is the best guy you could ever deal with. He is always there when he says and I always book at least 6 months out and he has always had a care for me. I rent about 6 weeks a year from him. Don't give up on Hans. Just try and book at least 6 months out. Kent
__________________

29th trip Nov 4th for 5 months!!
Snorkeling at Mangel Halto, day or night, using "bladefish water scooters", reasonable pricing, all equip provided and transport from your resort. Also free pics and a cd with over 200 Aruba pics.Email Kent Gerber at kentgerber@adamswells.com or Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call local: 745-7459 or visit:
www.arubabobsnorkeling.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old Thursday, July 2nd, 2009, 10:34 AM
PhoenixGirl PhoenixGirl is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: September 14th, 2004
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 284
PhoenixGirl is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Tropic car rental

We are also Hans fans! Knowing how small a company he has and how consistently excellent the service is, we book WAY in advance of our trips. You can get him your flight information later, just confirm the reservation and he will honor it.

He has no ego at all as far as I can tell, and we have rented from him three times a year for the last 10 years. He's one of the good guys.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old Thursday, July 2nd, 2009, 12:00 PM
ArubaMary's Avatar
ArubaMary ArubaMary is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: March 7th, 2006
Posts: 879
ArubaMary is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tropic car rental

Hi Mambo,
I'm sorry to hear you were disatisfied with Hans. I believe, as does Phoenix Girl, that because of Hans having a limited number of cars it is imperative that one sends a request soon after finalizing one's time in Aruba. Example----I have rented for mid February last week, and have received a confirmation from him. Hans is the consumate gentleman and is an excellent businessman. I have rented from Hans for many, many years. I have recommended him to countless people from all over. Not one of those people have had anything but accolades about Hans. As you say, however, there are many people in the rental business. I hope you find satisfaction from another rental company.
Mary
__________________
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old Friday, July 3rd, 2009, 11:28 AM
john john is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: November 19th, 2005
Posts: 143
john is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Tropic car rental

I emailed Hans 2 days ago regarding a car for our 5 week stay in Jan-Feb. He replied promptly wiwth a very good price and we are set. He said he will have a card with our name on it at the arrival terminal, go to the parking lots across the street and we can pick up the car and head out. Sounds pretty good to me.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old Friday, July 3rd, 2009, 05:34 PM
cassie's Avatar
cassie cassie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: June 5th, 2005
Posts: 74
cassie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tropic car rental

Good luck-we rented from hans last year. Picking up the car was a hassle. When we returned it and were trying to see someone to pick it up the security said we would be towed for stopping. They knew it was his car. We had to drive in and out of the airport 3 times before someone spotted us. He didn't have a sign so we had no idea who to look for. The savings on the car is not worth the hassle.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old Friday, July 3rd, 2009, 11:10 PM
arubabob's Avatar
arubabob arubabob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: April 28th, 2004
Location: oklahoma
Age: 76
Posts: 1,403
arubabob is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Tropic car rental

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassie View Post
Good luck-we rented from hans last year. Picking up the car was a hassle. When we returned it and were trying to see someone to pick it up the security said we would be towed for stopping. They knew it was his car. We had to drive in and out of the airport 3 times before someone spotted us. He didn't have a sign so we had no idea who to look for. The savings on the car is not worth the hassle.
We had no problems with picking up or returning. Filled out all the paperwork on a form that Hans emailed me. Hans was in the airport with a sign when we got there even though the flight was almost an hour late. Car was parked in front of arrivals and we loaded luggage. Gave Hans the paperwork, he gave me the key and we drove off. Returned car to airport monday morning of departure. Parked in front of departing flights dropoff, took our luggage inside and when I came out Hans was standing next to the car. Gave him the keys, he gave me a receipt. Could not have been easier. Our flight in ws around 10pm and we arrived for departure at 6 am, so it may be different if you are coming in on or departing on an afternoon flight. We did not see any police or security either time.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old Saturday, July 4th, 2009, 06:39 AM
EHampite's Avatar
EHampite EHampite is offline
Member
 
Join Date: June 1st, 2007
Location: Western Massachusetts
Posts: 65
EHampite is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tropic car rental

We too used Tropic and had no problems at either end. Hans was waiting for us even tho we missed our connection in Philly due to weather and came in on a flight a few hours later! There was Hans waiting for us - how did he know?? We walked across to the parking area, loaded our luggage, gave him the paper work and off we went.

Dropping off the car was easy, too. Got to Departures around 1:00 and he was there waiting for us - we handed him the keys, unloaded our luggage and were done!

Very easy process!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #11  
Old Saturday, July 4th, 2009, 07:49 AM
cassie's Avatar
cassie cassie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: June 5th, 2005
Posts: 74
cassie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tropic car rental

Quote:
Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
we had no problems with picking up or returning. Filled out all the paperwork on a form that hans emailed me. Hans was in the airport with a sign when we got there even though the flight was almost an hour late. Car was parked in front of arrivals and we loaded luggage. Gave hans the paperwork, he gave me the key and we drove off. Returned car to airport monday morning of departure. Parked in front of departing flights dropoff, took our luggage inside and when i came out hans was standing next to the car. Gave him the keys, he gave me a receipt. Could not have been easier. Our flight in ws around 10pm and we arrived for departure at 6 am, so it may be different if you are coming in on or departing on an afternoon flight. We did not see any police or security either time.
we arrived around 10:00 a.m. And the cars were 3 deep and lots of people. It was impossible to look for the return person because they cannot have a sign. When we pulled up and stopped to look the security said that if we did not move we would be towed . After 3 trips around the airport we finally saw someone wave us over. The car rental price is a lot cheaper than others. Its too bad that the car rental companies not on the airport have to do this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #12  
Old Saturday, July 4th, 2009, 08:12 AM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 50
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tropic car rental

cassie, you are right that it is sad the rental companies need to do this. it has become a big problem for them and for that reason alone i would use an off airport rental company. i like keeping the balance of power with the people who work the hardest to make a living instead of those who had the big bucks to bid for one of the 12 spaces open at the airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassie View Post
we arrived around 10:00 a.m. And the cars were 3 deep and lots of people. It was impossible to look for the return person because they cannot have a sign. When we pulled up and stopped to look the security said that if we did not move we would be towed . After 3 trips around the airport we finally saw someone wave us over. The car rental price is a lot cheaper than others. Its too bad that the car rental companies not on the airport have to do this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #13  
Old Saturday, July 4th, 2009, 08:58 AM
droykelly's Avatar
droykelly droykelly is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: October 23rd, 2005
Location: MA
Posts: 349
droykelly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tropic car rental

Help me out please.................... I'm renting from Hans for the first time this year because of all the excellent recommendations I've read here. What's the secret to finding him when it's time to return the car?

I still have months before we go but I'm a planner & worrier so this information will be greatly appreciated!
__________________










I will not sit on the porch and watch life go by without participating!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #14  
Old Saturday, July 4th, 2009, 09:34 AM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 50
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tropic car rental

my first suggestion would be to write to him and ask. my second suggestion would be to remind me to take a picture of him and post it when i am there in august and of anyone he has helping him. that will make life a lot easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by droykelly View Post
Help me out please.................... I'm renting from Hans for the first time this year because of all the excellent recommendations I've read here. What's the secret to finding him when it's time to return the car?

I still have months before we go but I'm a planner & worrier so this information will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #15  
Old Saturday, July 4th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Eagle-Beach Boy's Avatar
Eagle-Beach Boy Eagle-Beach Boy is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: October 7th, 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 565
Eagle-Beach Boy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tropic car rental

Quote:
Originally Posted by droykelly View Post
Help me out please.................... I'm renting from Hans for the first time this year because of all the excellent recommendations I've read here. What's the secret to finding him when it's time to return the car?

I still have months before we go but I'm a planner & worrier so this information will be greatly appreciated!
I phone or E him to let him know at what time we will be arriving at the airport. I know what he looks like so that helps.

Either Hans or Dennis will spot your car and wave to you.

Sometimes if there are more than one car arriving at the same time you might have to circle until he returns from taking the previous car of airport property. It only takes a couple of minutes. Don't panic.

I ussually unload the bags onto a cart and either myself or my wife will circle until he returns.

Still alot easier than returning to the other rentals on property.
__________________
Eagle-Beach Boy
Ontario, Canada



Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #16  
Old Saturday, July 4th, 2009, 01:02 PM
PhoenixGirl PhoenixGirl is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: September 14th, 2004
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 284
PhoenixGirl is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Tropic car rental

When your arriving plane is late getting in because of taking off late, Hans already knows this because he has your flight number which he keeps checking on the internet to see if flights he is meeting will be on time or arriving later than expected.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #17  
Old Saturday, July 4th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Tom H. Tom H. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: April 26th, 2004
Location: Kalamazoo - Aruba
Posts: 176
Tom H. is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tropic car rental

As Eagle Beach Boy said, it will either Hans or Dennis meeting you at the arrival gate when you leave. Let Hans know if you are concerned.

When you arrive in Aruba, it will probably Hans that meets you at the arrival gate, and he will have a sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by droykelly View Post
Help me out please.................... I'm renting from Hans for the first time this year because of all the excellent recommendations I've read here. What's the secret to finding him when it's time to return the car?

I still have months before we go but I'm a planner & worrier so this information will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #18  
Old Saturday, July 4th, 2009, 03:12 PM
EHampite's Avatar
EHampite EHampite is offline
Member
 
Join Date: June 1st, 2007
Location: Western Massachusetts
Posts: 65
EHampite is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tropic car rental

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixGirl View Post
When your arriving plane is late getting in because of taking off late, Hans already knows this because he has your flight number which he keeps checking on the internet to see if flights he is meeting will be on time or arriving later than expected.
We figured that would be the case if we were on the same flight - however, our original flight continued on to Aruba without us because we had to de-ice in Boston. When arriving in Philly, we were put on different flights and flight numbers getting us there 3 hours later. How Hans knew we were on a different flight is beyond me! But were we pleased to see him!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #19  
Old Sunday, July 5th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Darryl's Avatar
Darryl Darryl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: December 25th, 2004
Location: New Jersey, USA
Age: 80
Posts: 241
Darryl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tropic car rental

We have never not used Tropic!! Reasons: 1. Reliability. 2. Fairness. 3. Clean cars. 4. Fair pricing. 5 Hans. 6. Dennis. 7. Hans. 8. Dennis.

Get the picture???
__________________



Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #20  
Old Sunday, July 5th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Eagle-Beach Boy's Avatar
Eagle-Beach Boy Eagle-Beach Boy is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: October 7th, 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 565
Eagle-Beach Boy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tropic car rental

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
we have never not used tropic!! Reasons: 1. Reliability. 2. Fairness. 3. Clean cars. 4. Fair pricing. 5 hans. 6. Dennis. 7. Hans. 8. Dennis.

Get the picture???
no.............
__________________
Eagle-Beach Boy
Ontario, Canada



Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 2006 -2011 - CaribMedia.com