Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Thursday, July 22nd, 2010, 12:02 PM
Aruba Expert

lizzardo is on a distinguished road
Default URGENT: Anyone heading back to NJ/PA

Hi

I have been in contact with a great family staying at the ABC who has fallen in love with a cat they named "Balashi". Their 11 year old son in completely head over heels in love with him and asked him mom if he could use his 'Aruba money' to take him home. Only problem is that they are flying Spirit airlines which is the only airline that does not allow pets at all.....

If anyone is coming back soon, would you take Balashi home with you so he can have a happy life with this family. There is no money involved.
We would pay for his ticket and we will find a way to get him delivered to you on the day you leave.

We are seeing if we can board him at the local vet but the family (and I) are devastated at this turn of events. He has been checked out
at the vet and is fine.

Thank you for reading this!
Old Friday, July 23rd, 2010, 05:32 PM
Aruba Expert

Default Re: URGENT: Anyone heading back to NJ/PA

Update: Balashi has found a ride. I am so happy for him and his new family! I want to thank both Deborah and Beth's family for helping to give Balashi a new home where his is loved, fed and safe! These boards can be just so wonderful!!
Old Saturday, July 24th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT is on a distinguished road

Alas, it seems like there might be colony around the ABC restaurant.
Too many years, we see cats and kittens around there.

I'm not a cat person, but I'd like to know more about what we might bring in terms of supplies in September to help...maybe a cat carrier.

(We "babysit" for neighborhood dogs and only ask for donation to the local humane society.)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Saturday, July 24th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

john, that is lovely. food, carriers and toys seem to be the big things. the vet who took over for liz is doing all she can on very limited funds. we are helping when we can. i'll be transporting two kittens back to the states in 4 weeks.

btw, don't ever say never with cats. we hated cats and always had dogs. when my younger daughter asked us to babysit her cat and i agreed to do it, murray was really angry. a week later he called her and told her he had to keep the cat. since then we have learned that everything we knew about cats was totally wrong. we also have two aruban kittens of our own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJT View Post
Alas, it seems like there might be colony around the ABC restaurant.
Too many years, we see cats and kittens around there.

I'm not a cat person, but I'd like to know more about what we might bring in terms of supplies in September to help...maybe a cat carrier.

(We "babysit" for neighborhood dogs and only ask for donation to the local humane society.)
Old Saturday, July 24th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT is on a distinguished road

Sherry,
When I met my wife, she had a cat and a dog...20+ years ago. We "inherited" another dog. The cat ruled the house...would not let the dogs come upstairs; they would sit on the landing afraid of being swatted if they dared to try to pass. The cat passed first at age 18. The first dog (a cockapoodle) passed at age 12 with congestive heart failure. The second dog (a chihuahua mix) passed at age 16.5 after one good winter when we retired to Florida.

Ideally, I could wish it were otherwise, but our local shelter is NOT no-kill. They make a good faith effort to adopt both dogs and cats, but there are too many (especially cats). There are several feral cat colonies around here in Florida. People are stupid with their pets and (sadly) perhaps the abandoned pets would not survive in a cold climate.

I'm not sure about the greatest need, but we will each pledge to bring a portable cat carrier with us to AUA in September. We'll buy some cat food to donate when we get to Aruba. How do we contact the appropriate people now that Liz has moved on?
Old Saturday, July 24th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

although liz has moved on, liz has not forgotten. she is helping from a distance. she had gotten more than 6 kittens adopted since she moved a month ago. she is an amazing woman i am proud to call a friend because she cares. she will read this thread and will give you every piece of info you need. also, i will be back from aruba before you go so you will get more info from me.

thank you john for your kindness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJT View Post
Sherry,
When I met my wife, she had a cat and a dog...20+ years ago. We "inherited" another dog. The cat ruled the house...would not let the dogs come upstairs; they would sit on the landing afraid of being swatted if they dared to try to pass. The cat passed first at age 18. The first dog (a cockapoodle) passed at age 12 with congestive heart failure. The second dog (a chihuahua mix) passed at age 16.5 after one good winter when we retired to Florida.

Ideally, I could wish it were otherwise, but our local shelter is NOT no-kill. They make a good faith effort to adopt both dogs and cats, but there are too many (especially cats). There are several feral cat colonies around here in Florida. People are stupid with their pets and (sadly) perhaps the abandoned pets would not survive in a cold climate.

I'm not sure about the greatest need, but we will each pledge to bring a portable cat carrier with us to AUA in September. We'll buy some cat food to donate when we get to Aruba. How do we contact the appropriate people now that Liz has moved on?
Old Sunday, July 25th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Aruba Expert

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I am in Florida but can not abandon
Aruba and their cats. There are charities that do rescue cats but i'm the only one that does only cats. The plight of cats in Aruba is different than the US. Generally (and there are some lovely people who do like cats) the Latin Americans and Arubans do not like cats at all. They do not treat cats well at all and cats face a lot more dangers than the cats in the US do.

Most of the hotels do have a cat problem. It's how they deal with the problem that can be bad. I have been to
every hotel in Aruba in the last 5 years. I started working on the ABC problem i'd say in March and have met a
woman who was working on the problem too. We were trying to catch a mom cat there who
had kittens under the restaurant but she is too fast and wild to catch. But we're still working on that.
We did manage to catch one of her kittens and got him a home.

Also most 'feral' cats in Aruba (like the cats in the hotels) are friendly and some of the sweetest cats I have met. All they want is someone to love them, a constant supply of nutritious food and somewhere where they will be safe. They
also seem to have a knack at 'picking' their owners!

We need right now carriers, cat size (on the small size) harnesses and leashes. We don't need any kitten food at the moment as we have some stashed at both vets. Anything you can bring would be greatly appreciated because the costs for these things in Aruba is so expensive and hard to find.

Anyone interested in bringing anything down can contact me at info@arubakitten.org

Thanks again for caring about the cats in Aruba!