Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old Saturday, September 19th, 2009, 10:22 PM
ruba4ever's Avatar
ruba4ever ruba4ever is offline
Almost Aruban
 
Join Date: May 15th, 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 1,881
ruba4ever is on a distinguished road
Default We have arrived...

Just wanted to let you all know that we have arrived on the island...and what a nice day it was. At this time of night we have now been up a really long time and I am ready to call it a night. We got up at 2:45 am (and I don't think I slept at all from 10 pm when I tried to go to sleep). We boarded our plane at a little before 5 am for a 5:30 flight to Philly. We were right on time...met up with friends there and left early and arrived here some 20 minutes early. Only plane here...sweet...cleared the airport in record time...Hans wasn't here because we were so early..but a nice young man called him and he was here with our car and in minutes we were on our way...too early for our room...so we went and grocery shopped..got back and our room was ready...came in and unpacked and off to the pool and ocean. Wonderful to be back here with friends...it was like we never left....picked right up where we left off last year. It was a wonderful day...now it is time to go sleepy bye.....talk again soon.
ruba
__________________
Only happy people allowed!













































Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old Saturday, September 19th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Elaine S's Avatar
Elaine S Elaine S is offline
Almost Aruban Moderator
 
Join Date: April 26th, 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 6,954
Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: We have arrived...

Thanks for the update, ruba! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!
__________________
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old Saturday, September 19th, 2009, 10:41 PM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 51
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: We have arrived...

ruba, so glad you are there and having fun. get some sleep and then tell us more!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old Sunday, September 20th, 2009, 04:30 PM
lmccollom's Avatar
lmccollom lmccollom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: October 21st, 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 143
lmccollom is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: We have arrived...

Have fun Ruba, and keep us posted. You know that we wish we were all there with you!!!!!

Lora
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old Sunday, September 20th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Corrine's Avatar
Corrine Corrine is offline
Almost Aruban
 
Join Date: April 27th, 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 5,430
Corrine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: We have arrived...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
ruba, so glad you are there and having fun. get some sleep and then tell us more!
Ditto from me!
__________________


Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old Monday, September 21st, 2009, 12:51 PM
PhoenixGirl PhoenixGirl is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: September 14th, 2004
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 284
PhoenixGirl is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: We have arrived...

Where are you staying?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old Monday, September 21st, 2009, 11:33 PM
ruba4ever's Avatar
ruba4ever ruba4ever is offline
Almost Aruban
 
Join Date: May 15th, 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 1,881
ruba4ever is on a distinguished road
Default Re: We have arrived...

PhoenixGirl...we're at the Ocean Club...are you here now??

So now it is Monday and I have been very lax...sorry...but I'm having way to much fun and that's a good thing. (besides..with the fake nails I got this time..first ones ever..I'm having a hard time typing..not to mention I'm using my hubby's laptop and the keyboard seems so foreign to me...lol). But for a quick catchup....

Saturday dinner was at Champions which is always our first night.
Sunday dinner was at Ruth's Chris...it was yummy and close by.
Monday dinner was at Papiemento...first time there. Very nice setting.

All these meals have been shared with good friends...having a blast.

The water is crystal clear...it is so much like the first few years we came here...just wonderful...weather is absolutely perfect...hot, sunny, and a nice breeze blowing in just the right direction. Just lovely....

Tomorrow is Ray's birthday..(he will be the same age as me for 6 days..and then I turn into the older woman again..hahaha...so we are going to Madame Janette's with our group of 7.

Casino's...last night the Marriott..not even gonna talk about it...
Tonight...Radisson...again....blah...

Now just to prove to you how lax I've been I missed meeting up with Nancy (getaway)..so sorry...I completely forgot until this morning about 6 am. I forgot to call my daughter to tell her I arrived (shame on me) and I forgot about the BB party at the AM when we made dinner plans with our friends. So it's all been beach, pool, and dinner so far...lol. We snorkeled this morning...was great but I felt a little rusty...but we had fun just floating around. Ray stubbed a toe off the rocks..looks really nasty right now..lovely shade of purple and black.

Well, I hope this redeems me for slackin....will jump on again when I can..
ruba
__________________
Only happy people allowed!













































Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old Tuesday, September 22nd, 2009, 05:55 AM
bhoffdhoff bhoffdhoff is offline
Member
 
Join Date: April 12th, 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 548
bhoffdhoff is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: We have arrived...

I'm so glad you are having a great time, Ruba. You know, we are all living vicariously (sp?) through you. Are you staying in one of the refurbished suites? How does the lobby look?

Bobbie
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old Tuesday, September 22nd, 2009, 06:38 AM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 51
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: We have arrived...

i know that you sat down and sent LONG notes of apology to everyone you missed, right? hahahaha

sounds like a wonderful trip so far. keep it fun but no more pain for ray (poor baby). we miss you but not so much that we want you to rush home. you earned this vacation!

happy birthday ray!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruba4ever View Post
PhoenixGirl...we're at the Ocean Club...are you here now??

So now it is Monday and I have been very lax...sorry...but I'm having way to much fun and that's a good thing. (besides..with the fake nails I got this time..first ones ever..I'm having a hard time typing..not to mention I'm using my hubby's laptop and the keyboard seems so foreign to me...lol). But for a quick catchup....

Saturday dinner was at Champions which is always our first night.
Sunday dinner was at Ruth's Chris...it was yummy and close by.
Monday dinner was at Papiemento...first time there. Very nice setting.

All these meals have been shared with good friends...having a blast.

The water is crystal clear...it is so much like the first few years we came here...just wonderful...weather is absolutely perfect...hot, sunny, and a nice breeze blowing in just the right direction. Just lovely....

Tomorrow is Ray's birthday..(he will be the same age as me for 6 days..and then I turn into the older woman again..hahaha...so we are going to Madame Janette's with our group of 7.

Casino's...last night the Marriott..not even gonna talk about it...
Tonight...Radisson...again....blah...

Now just to prove to you how lax I've been I missed meeting up with Nancy (getaway)..so sorry...I completely forgot until this morning about 6 am. I forgot to call my daughter to tell her I arrived (shame on me) and I forgot about the BB party at the AM when we made dinner plans with our friends. So it's all been beach, pool, and dinner so far...lol. We snorkeled this morning...was great but I felt a little rusty...but we had fun just floating around. Ray stubbed a toe off the rocks..looks really nasty right now..lovely shade of purple and black.

Well, I hope this redeems me for slackin....will jump on again when I can..
ruba
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old Tuesday, September 22nd, 2009, 08:50 AM
Elaine S's Avatar
Elaine S Elaine S is offline
Almost Aruban Moderator
 
Join Date: April 26th, 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 6,954
Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: We have arrived...

Thanks for the update, ruba!! Love hearing what everyone's doing while there.

We all have good intentions when it comes to getting together with people from the different boards, but once we get on island time many times it just doesn't happen! I'm notoriously bad for committing to anything.

Happy birthday to Ray!!
__________________
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #11  
Old Tuesday, September 22nd, 2009, 10:12 AM
PhoenixGirl PhoenixGirl is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: September 14th, 2004
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 284
PhoenixGirl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: We have arrived...

I'm not there yet and won't be there until October 10th, but I sure love knowing that someone else forgets everything once they get into "island time". We have never made it to a BB party in the 25+ times we've gone to Aruba. EVERY year I say THIS time we will get to the Amsterdam Manor get together, and then I forget the day of the week and miss it again.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #12  
Old Tuesday, September 22nd, 2009, 11:32 AM
Elaine S's Avatar
Elaine S Elaine S is offline
Almost Aruban Moderator
 
Join Date: April 26th, 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 6,954
Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: We have arrived...

Me, too!! I've never made it to a BB party because it's too early for me, and when I remember, it's too late anyway. I stay on the beach till at least 5 or 6... Every year I have good intentions, but have never made one yet. Glad I'm not alone!! lol



Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixGirl View Post
I'm not there yet and won't be there until October 10th, but I sure love knowing that someone else forgets everything once they get into "island time". We have never made it to a BB party in the 25+ times we've gone to Aruba. EVERY year I say THIS time we will get to the Amsterdam Manor get together, and then I forget the day of the week and miss it again.
__________________
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #13  
Old Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009, 10:00 AM
ruba4ever's Avatar
ruba4ever ruba4ever is offline
Almost Aruban
 
Join Date: May 15th, 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 1,881
ruba4ever is on a distinguished road
Default Re: We have arrived...

Mornin all....just wanted to say that yesterday was just another day in paradise...
Ray's toe is coming along...maybe we will be able to stroll a little up the beach today....or not...hahahahahaha.

Went to Madame Janette's last night for dinner with a party of 7. We had a lovely dinner.....and I had the shrimp casserole....OMgoodness....it was to die for!!!! So wonderful. Will definately have that again.

Casino at the Marriott is toying with me once again. I have not been able to win not one lone dime yet....oh well...you know how I do....we'll see if Lady Luck shines on me again....lol.

Bobbie...we are in one of the refurbished rooms...they're very nice...and the lobby is very pretty and comfy...it's not quite finished...art work and finishing touches need to be done...but the decor is very pretty. When you come you and I can talk about your thoughts on the changes that they made.

Well...Ray is on his way to the beach and I have been instructed not to be all day here.....sooooooooooo I think I'll go and decide which bathing suit to wear!!

Imagine my surprise when I see the first thread from lizzardo saying that Black Hog Saloon has burned down.......some crack moderator I'm turning out to be.. I'm on the island and didn't know anything about it!!! lol. I will check it out today... or sometime...soon....I promise.....I think......talk soon...

ruba
__________________
Only happy people allowed!













































Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #14  
Old Wednesday, September 23rd, 2009, 10:30 AM
Elaine S's Avatar
Elaine S Elaine S is offline
Almost Aruban Moderator
 
Join Date: April 26th, 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 6,954
Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: We have arrived...

Good morning back to you, ruba! Sounds like the perfect vacation to me other than lady luck being stubborn!

Love the updates, and I will try to follow suit when I'm in paradise. Thanks!!!
__________________
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #15  
Old Thursday, September 24th, 2009, 06:33 AM
bhoffdhoff bhoffdhoff is offline
Member
 
Join Date: April 12th, 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 548
bhoffdhoff is on a distinguished road
Default Re: We have arrived...

Thanks for the update, Ruba. I just love the posts people make when they're actually there. Makes the waiting a little more bearable. Keep having fun!

Bobbie
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #16  
Old Tuesday, September 29th, 2009, 05:45 PM
ruba4ever's Avatar
ruba4ever ruba4ever is offline
Almost Aruban
 
Join Date: May 15th, 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 1,881
ruba4ever is on a distinguished road
Default Re: We have arrived...

Sorry I'm being lax....will jump on and update soon....
__________________
Only happy people allowed!













































Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #17  
Old Friday, October 2nd, 2009, 10:41 PM
Cathy&Jim's Avatar
Cathy&Jim Cathy&Jim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: March 26th, 2005
Posts: 367
Cathy&Jim is on a distinguished road
Default Re: We have arrived...

Sounds like you are having a great relaxing time! I hope the weather remains the same for the next few weeks as we will be there on the 19th. Very excited to hear the water is clear! I'm super excited now!

Also happy to hear you are rocking out the fake nails! You go Girl! I know what you mean about having a hard time typing as they take some time getting used to but I bet they look great! My nieces talked me into getting fake nails last year and I went for it (peer pressure LOL). Just a word of caution now. Make sure you go to a professional to have them removed. I went to a local nail shop and I won't lie, it hurt like hell and I swore like a sailor...
Obviously, she didn't know what she was doing and she ruined my nails and I was bleeding! I never in my life have wanted to punch someone but boy, let me tell you, I wanted to give that woman two black eyes from the war pain I went through! So, make sure you go to someone who know's what they are doing!

Okay, warning provided, now, tell us more about all the fun you are having! Are you eating, drinking, tanning and swimming and if so, which order is it?

Also, if you wouldn't mind, I would love you to do a NO RAIN dance for me on the beach. It's an easy dance! Just spin and pray for no rain for the month of October. I'll buy you something pretty and send it to you if your dance works out!

Have a blast!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #18  
Old Saturday, October 3rd, 2009, 08:07 AM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 51
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: We have arrived...

cathy, about the fake nails, if you go to a proper place, they use a tool that looks similar to a fake nail to remove them. it took about 10 seconds per nail and only one finger hurt a slight bit during or after. i have had my nails removed twice after once trying to let them 'grow off'.

btw, alnora is on her way home today so safe journeys alnora and ray!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy&Jim View Post
Sounds like you are having a great relaxing time! I hope the weather remains the same for the next few weeks as we will be there on the 19th. Very excited to hear the water is clear! I'm super excited now!

Also happy to hear you are rocking out the fake nails! You go Girl! I know what you mean about having a hard time typing as they take some time getting used to but I bet they look great! My nieces talked me into getting fake nails last year and I went for it (peer pressure LOL). Just a word of caution now. Make sure you go to a professional to have them removed. I went to a local nail shop and I won't lie, it hurt like hell and I swore like a sailor...
Obviously, she didn't know what she was doing and she ruined my nails and I was bleeding! I never in my life have wanted to punch someone but boy, let me tell you, I wanted to give that woman two black eyes from the war pain I went through! So, make sure you go to someone who know's what they are doing!

Okay, warning provided, now, tell us more about all the fun you are having! Are you eating, drinking, tanning and swimming and if so, which order is it?

Also, if you wouldn't mind, I would love you to do a NO RAIN dance for me on the beach. It's an easy dance! Just spin and pray for no rain for the month of October. I'll buy you something pretty and send it to you if your dance works out!

Have a blast!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #19  
Old Saturday, October 3rd, 2009, 08:32 AM
Elaine S's Avatar
Elaine S Elaine S is offline
Almost Aruban Moderator
 
Join Date: April 26th, 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 6,954
Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: We have arrived...

Yesssss... safe travels Alnora and Ray. Not a pretty day in PA to come back to!

Oh, I don't have fake nails...but, I have gel put on my own, and it's the best!
__________________
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #20  
Old Saturday, October 3rd, 2009, 09:18 AM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 51
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: We have arrived...

elaine, that's what they mean by fake nails. they are not your own. either gel or acrylic. remember, that to get it started they did put fake nail/tips on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine S View Post
Yesssss... safe travels Alnora and Ray. Not a pretty day in PA to come back to!

Oh, I don't have fake nails...but, I have gel put on my own, and it's the best!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #21  
Old Saturday, October 3rd, 2009, 09:29 AM
Elaine S's Avatar
Elaine S Elaine S is offline
Almost Aruban Moderator
 
Join Date: April 26th, 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 6,954
Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: We have arrived...

I never had tips or anything else to get it started... I have/had my own nails coated with gel just like I had my nails coated with acrylic. I think I started doing this about 35 years ago, and got hooked because of the polish staying on and not chipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
elaine, that's what they mean by fake nails. they are not your own. either gel or acrylic. remember, that to get it started they did put fake nail/tips on.
__________________
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #22  
Old Saturday, October 3rd, 2009, 09:57 AM
bhoffdhoff bhoffdhoff is offline
Member
 
Join Date: April 12th, 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 548
bhoffdhoff is on a distinguished road
Default Re: We have arrived...

My nails are my own! Bought and paid for!! LOL!!

Bobbie
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #23  
Old Saturday, October 3rd, 2009, 10:27 AM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 51
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: We have arrived...

my nails were splitting which is why i had it done, so they covered them with tips to protect them before the gel. i don't know anyone that didn't have the tips added to extend or protect their nails on the first app. however, 35 years ago it may have been a different story. now it is always done.

and we have hijacked another thread, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine S View Post
I never had tips or anything else to get it started... I have/had my own nails coated with gel just like I had my nails coated with acrylic. I think I started doing this about 35 years ago, and got hooked because of the polish staying on and not chipping.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #24  
Old Monday, October 5th, 2009, 08:39 PM
ruba4ever's Avatar
ruba4ever ruba4ever is offline
Almost Aruban
 
Join Date: May 15th, 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 1,881
ruba4ever is on a distinguished road
Default Re: We have arrived...

And now we're home..... We returned Saturday night about 11:30. What a long stinking day!! But we made it home safe and sound and for that I am always thankful. Fell into bed and that was all she wrote.
Yesterday was unpacking and washing laundry....another long day....fell into bed about 10...didn't even see the second half of the Steeler game...lol.
Today..back to work...it's like vacation never happened.....but it did indeed happen.
It was a great two weeks....the weather continued to be outstanding...but as a consulation I think (just for us) it was cloudy Saturday when we left...made the departure just a little easier. Hope the weather doesn't get bad....Cathy...I will not be able to do a dance for you as I am now home...but I will send good weather vibes to the island on your behalf.....no gifts neccessary..lol.
The nails are great...I really like them...and they need filled in...I will do that later this week....and I am getting used to them....but I have to see how long I will keep them.
I am trying to remember all the places we ate....I will finish that soon. The mind is just not workin yet....I'm still in a bathing suit floating in the sea and then making my way to the pool and then off to dinner somewhere.........when I get back to normal I'll fill in the blanks....hahahaha.
I'm having a hard time getting in the groove......please bear with me.....
Sherry....lessons in a day or two...okay??
ruba
__________________
Only happy people allowed!













































Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #25  
Old Wednesday, October 7th, 2009, 07:57 PM
ArubaMary's Avatar
ArubaMary ArubaMary is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: March 7th, 2006
Posts: 879
ArubaMary is on a distinguished road
Default Re: We have arrived...

Hi Ruba,
Welcome back to reality. Thank you for all the Aruba reports. I enjoyed every one of them. Mary
__________________
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 2006 -2011 - CaribMedia.com