Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old Sunday, July 2nd, 2006, 10:04 PM
billybob02 billybob02 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 18th, 2006
Location: North Carolina
Age: 53
Posts: 2
billybob02 is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island What's up with rock piles?

Just got back from Aruba. Took a Jeep on the Western side of the island. There were thousands of little rock piles people had put up. These were not there when we visited 15 years ago. So what are they all about? Despite not knowing, my wife and I felt compelled to make one as well.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old Monday, July 3rd, 2006, 12:08 AM
AuntieMame's Avatar
AuntieMame AuntieMame is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: March 20th, 2006
Posts: 595
AuntieMame is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's up with rock piles?

When we first took the DePalm tour, the guide told us they were the way that messages were left by the natives ages ago.

That turns out to be nonsense.

Now tourists pile rocks and go the following trip to see if they are still standing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old Monday, July 3rd, 2006, 02:46 PM
charlescroes's Avatar
charlescroes charlescroes is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: February 21st, 2005
Posts: 960
charlescroes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's up with rock piles?

I wrote about this a while ago and the bottom line is the following:

BE COMPELLED! Be compelled to leave a trace of yourself and your visit behind. You had thoughts while picking those rocks and carefullu placing them there. Cherrish those thoughts.

As far as the behavior of your forefathers goes - they left some stones themselves - and called it Manhattann - to be exact.

It is what we do - we all have the need to leave someting behind. Grafitti on walls, gravestones, etc. These piles of rocks are just a part of you while you were here. As surely as I write this - and as surely as you read it, those stones will tumble, however the memory of the effort will always be there as is the desire to go back and look for them again.

be well
charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob02
...These were not there when we visited 15 years ago. So what are they all about? Despite not knowing, my wife and I felt compelled to make one as well.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old Monday, July 3rd, 2006, 08:09 PM
thrix thrix is offline
Member
 
Join Date: April 27th, 2004
Posts: 77
thrix is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's up with rock piles?

There's been numerous post on these rocks. The bottom line is it shouldn't be done. However, some of the tour companies come up with some BS story about it being some tradition, it's not.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old Monday, July 3rd, 2006, 08:17 PM
chrisnwillie's Avatar
chrisnwillie chrisnwillie is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: May 5th, 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 583
chrisnwillie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's up with rock piles?

I had never seen them (OK, I'm a beach veggie) until Sandra took me on a tour of the island and I was stunned and I mean STUNNED when I not only saw the piles, but the amount of piles......I actually couldn't believe that people spent that much time piling rocks and making the landscape look so un-natural.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old Monday, July 3rd, 2006, 08:52 PM
Firstlight's Avatar
Firstlight Firstlight is offline
Member
 
Join Date: January 12th, 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 48
Firstlight is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's up with rock piles?

We took a tour of the island and our guide had us stop and make a small pile and make a wish.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old Monday, July 3rd, 2006, 09:20 PM
charlescroes's Avatar
charlescroes charlescroes is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: February 21st, 2005
Posts: 960
charlescroes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's up with rock piles?

I certainly don't want to get into a what should and what shouldn't be done conversation however (here I go getting myself in a mess)

The landscape on this Island I live on hasn't been natural for many ages. While some might find the piling of rocks a stunning event - and I mean stunning - many do not have an inkling as to the massive (and yes stunning) effect that quad bikes and other similar activities have - I'd rather see rock piles.

Went snorkling infront of the Marriott and saw what appeared to be a school of plastic cups swimming my way. Total and Stunning destruction - not to mention the un-natural seascape. Hey - go pile rocks.

I spoke last week to a customs agent that told me that the drug doggies went nuts over a bag and when he opened the suitcase he found rotting starfish in plastick bags - Hey pile up a few rocks instead.

Yes it is non-sense about tradition etc. The fact of the matter is that this is a recent phenomenon (sp?).

There are the most awesome walls made on our island by piling rocks in a long row. This originally started as a way to clear a field from stones for planting. Rocks or stones were just put off to the side on the property boundry.

Much (if not all) of the coral reef by Baby Beach is dead and gone. Nibbled at piece by piece and taken to be treasured as a special underwater moment. Please - go pile rocks!

Long thin arrows are flung from massive Southern Bows to destroy our economy and we grin and bear it. Well --- I think I will go pile up some rocks.

Be well all
charles
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old Monday, July 3rd, 2006, 09:34 PM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 50
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's up with rock piles?

charles my dear friend, when we meet we will pile rocks together. we won't even mention the destruction of the dunes. another heartbreak on our island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlescroes
I certainly don't want to get into a what should and what shouldn't be done conversation however (here I go getting myself in a mess)

The landscape on this Island I live on hasn't been natural for many ages. While some might find the piling of rocks a stunning event - and I mean stunning - many do not have an inkling as to the massive (and yes stunning) effect that quad bikes and other similar activities have - I'd rather see rock piles.

Went snorkling infront of the Marriott and saw what appeared to be a school of plastic cups swimming my way. Total and Stunning destruction - not to mention the un-natural seascape. Hey - go pile rocks.

I spoke last week to a customs agent that told me that the drug doggies went nuts over a bag and when he opened the suitcase he found rotting starfish in plastick bags - Hey pile up a few rocks instead.

Yes it is non-sense about tradition etc. The fact of the matter is that this is a recent phenomenon (sp?).

There are the most awesome walls made on our island by piling rocks in a long row. This originally started as a way to clear a field from stones for planting. Rocks or stones were just put off to the side on the property boundry.

Much (if not all) of the coral reef by Baby Beach is dead and gone. Nibbled at piece by piece and taken to be treasured as a special underwater moment. Please - go pile rocks!

Long thin arrows are flung from massive Southern Bows to destroy our economy and we grin and bear it. Well --- I think I will go pile up some rocks.

Be well all
charles
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old Monday, July 3rd, 2006, 09:36 PM
chrisnwillie's Avatar
chrisnwillie chrisnwillie is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: May 5th, 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 583
chrisnwillie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's up with rock piles?

Charles, I saw the destruction the quad bikes are doing to your island as well. I know the garbage that is being thrown into the ocean as well. I went to war with Pelican 2 years ago in front of PLBR. I was on the beach when 2 snorkle boats came in from Pelican to their pier. Apparently they sell lunch and a day at the beach to these people.

Everyone descended upon the roped in water in from of PLBR and 2 pelican employees brought out cardboard carriers FULL of drinks in plastic cups to these people and NOT ONE cup made it out of the ocean. Each carrier contained no less than 25 plastic cups full of some fruity drink.

We spent the rest of day pulling plastic cups out of the ocean. What slobs. And after I got done over at Pelican asking them what they were thinking doing this, they didn't do it again the next 3 weeks I was there. They did not do it again this past March either, thank goodness.

I understand your point of view that piling rocks is better than some of the other "stuff" being done on your island and I respect that. I am still stunned and amazed that people have a need to do any of this while there at all. They don't understand that some of the things they are doing cannot be reversed. It's a shame.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old Tuesday, July 4th, 2006, 01:57 AM
AuntieMame's Avatar
AuntieMame AuntieMame is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: March 20th, 2006
Posts: 595
AuntieMame is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's up with rock piles?

I have no quarrel with the rock piles.

That shoe rock (is it still there?) was another matter.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #11  
Old Tuesday, July 4th, 2006, 09:08 AM
charlescroes's Avatar
charlescroes charlescroes is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: February 21st, 2005
Posts: 960
charlescroes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's up with rock piles?

Auntie,
The picture of your feet and now your question about shoes made of rocks - do I detect a foot fetish ?
be well
charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieMame
...That shoe rock (is it still there?) was another matter.....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #12  
Old Tuesday, July 4th, 2006, 10:17 AM
AuntieMame's Avatar
AuntieMame AuntieMame is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: March 20th, 2006
Posts: 595
AuntieMame is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's up with rock piles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlescroes
Auntie,
The picture of your feet and now your question about shoes made of rocks - do I detect a foot fetish ?
be well
charles
Who, me?

No, really. There was a shoe rock. People threw shoes near it. There was a big pile.

really . . .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #13  
Old Tuesday, July 4th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Firstlight's Avatar
Firstlight Firstlight is offline
Member
 
Join Date: January 12th, 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 48
Firstlight is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: What's up with rock piles?

Charles,
I guess I will be in a mess now.

I know where you are coming from. I have been going to Aruba for the past 16 years. And have made a lot of friends while on vacation. Most of my friends are Arubian. I enjoyed making my little rock pile and was also told by the guide to keep in small. I was amazed by all the trash thrown around the area. People should be more considerate. Would they throw their trash around their own houses or in their yards. No they wouldn't (maybe some would) So why throw it around Aruba. Are they that lazy to look for a receptacle and if they can't find one did they ever think to take their trash with them and discard it at the hotel. I guess some people just have no manners. Don't mean to offend the innocent.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #14  
Old Tuesday, July 4th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Elaine S's Avatar
Elaine S Elaine S is offline
Almost Aruban Moderator
 
Join Date: April 26th, 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 6,954
Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: What's up with rock piles?

Hmmmmmmm..... maybe a prince will come along and find his Cinderella!! I must make sure to throw one of mine there next year in case the prince's grandfather is looking!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieMame
Who, me?

No, really. There was a shoe rock. People threw shoes near it. There was a big pile.

really . . .
__________________
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #15  
Old Wednesday, July 5th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Weed Weed is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: June 14th, 2005
Location: Alexandria VA
Posts: 275
Weed is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's up with rock piles?

I confess. I made a rock pile at the Natural Bridge on my first trip to Aruba in Oct. 04. My wish was for the Red Sox to win the World Series. I watched the first three games from my hotel (Renaissance) and parts of the 4th (and final) in the Philly airport between flights. They won. Do I believe it was because I made a wish on a pile of rocks? No, but, after 86 years, I wouldn't totally discount it!
Agree about disgusting trash and people who leave it. HOWEVER, I've noticed that even at the most upscale resorts, the trash cans aren't emptied often enough (yes, I complained to management). But I was absolutely shocked when, on a snorkle sail this May, the crew member said it was OK to throw the chicken bones overboard (I didn't)!
__________________
Lynda (aka Weed)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #16  
Old Wednesday, July 5th, 2006, 01:46 PM
charlescroes's Avatar
charlescroes charlescroes is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: February 21st, 2005
Posts: 960
charlescroes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's up with rock piles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstlight
Charles,
I was amazed by all the trash thrown around the area. People should be more considerate. Would they throw their trash around their own houses or in their yards.
We need to place the blame directly where it lies. Sooo...

First of all, if anyone walks into a sanitary or hospital environment, the last thing on your mind is to throw trash around. The environment or the way that that environment is cared for and handled by those who live there, sets the barometer for how we will behave within that environment. and... we - as locals - have been more than lax in our own housekeeping practices. Granted - this has improved lately, however it has not improved enough. So - first blame goes to us, as locals, for our own housekeeping.

About 20 years ago, the streets were dirty with cans and assorted trash, today they are much - much cleaner. This change - however - was not influenced by the "tidy" mannerisms or customs of the Dutch but instead had everything to do with the growth of tourism and what 'is' and 'is not' acceptable behavior for a society that is courting tourism as its' major pillar of income. For that, we (as an island) must say "thank you".

That said, many tourists today, do seem to have a disregard for the nature and cleanliness when they are in foreign countries. - But I repeat - "you do not throw trash on hospital floors".

Who is to blame? I don't know - however would be willing to contribute to te man that invents a truly bio-degradable plastic cup or pizza box (not to mention fast food packaging). Want to see that happen? It is possible. Just everyone stop buying those delicious grease patties until they invent the proper earth friendly boxes and packages. Sales - or the lack of it- motivates many things.

Lastly - what gets under my skin is when resorts or organizations (not to be mentioned) go on pro-nature and "clean-up" campaigns and continue to be the leading cause for the filth in our oceans and beaches. This is almost worse than just openly being a slob. It is being a corporate slob pretending not to be one. Yet - the cookie crumbs on the lips and chins give the offenders away.

My two cents worth
Be well all
charles
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #17  
Old Wednesday, July 5th, 2006, 01:54 PM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 50
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's up with rock piles?

my last visit to aruba was encouraging. tourists were running after flying paper and baggies at the aruba phoenix and the maintenance staff at costa linda had a guy who seemed to do nothing all day but change trash bags everywhere on the property. costa linda also has recycling bins in all units. i can't say these places don't offend in other ways because we know that industry is usually the worst but i do see some changes for the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weed
I confess. I made a rock pile at the Natural Bridge on my first trip to Aruba in Oct. 04. My wish was for the Red Sox to win the World Series. I watched the first three games from my hotel (Renaissance) and parts of the 4th (and final) in the Philly airport between flights. They won. Do I believe it was because I made a wish on a pile of rocks? No, but, after 86 years, I wouldn't totally discount it!
Agree about disgusting trash and people who leave it. HOWEVER, I've noticed that even at the most upscale resorts, the trash cans aren't emptied often enough (yes, I complained to management). But I was absolutely shocked when, on a snorkle sail this May, the crew member said it was OK to throw the chicken bones overboard (I didn't)!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 2006 -2011 - CaribMedia.com