Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Thursday, July 6th, 2006, 07:30 PM

Love to Snorkel is on a distinguished road
Default Windie's Watersports

I wanted to let all of you know what a great time I had snorkeling with Windie from Windie's Watersports. She is very knowledgeable about the reefs and the best places to snorkel. She picked us up at our hotel and drove us to Mangel Halto where I wanted to snorkel. It was just my mom and I and Windie so it was really great. She pulls a small bouy behind her so if you get tired you can hold on to the bouy. She charges $15/hour per person. It was worth it. Her and her husband used to have a boat that they would do snorkel tours from but she said they weren't able to keep it up because DePalm has such a monopoly with the resorts and they are no longer able to advertise in the resorts. (how sad). They gave their boat away and now she operates on word of mouth and does private tours. Her webiste is http://www.windieswatersport.com/. The website is a bit outdated but I contacted her through the website. Please consider using her especially if you are interested in snorkeling with a guide but without 40 other people.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Monday, July 10th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Aruba Expert

JohnJT is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Windie's Watersports

It's been a few years, but one year we did a "snorkel from shore" tour with Windie and her husband Rene. It was two stops....at Boca Catalina and Mangel Halto. For people who had done some snorkeling and were not afraid of deep water, Rene took us out over the reef at Mangel Halto. The views were SO beautiful. The next year, they had their catamaran and we went on that day sail. It was also quite nice.....good food, good snorkeling, good company, only about 15-20 people on board. I guess I presumed the boat venture had not worked out since we haven't seen any adverts in a while. Too bad! They seemed like good people!
Old Monday, July 10th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Aruba Expert

Kent is on a distinguished road

Jen, I just got back last night. I think I saw you at Mangel Halto. I have a yellow sea doo that pulls me around. I remember some one pulling a float thing around with 2 ladies snorkling. How did you like Mangel Halto? Thats why I don't even go up north. I did try up north about 6 times this year. The first and last day I snorkled were the best and the clearest. I seen a 4 foot greeen eal. Octopus, turtle, star fish and alot of fish. I kept my eye opened for a Mother, Daughter team but I didn't have any luck spotting you. I went up north about 8:00 to 9:30 am. Did you happen to eat at Fish and More? I seen a Mother, Daughter there on Sat. night which was July 1st. Kent
Old Monday, July 10th, 2006, 09:52 PM

Love to Snorkel is on a distinguished road

Yes Kent that was us. I saw you with your motorized "scooter" I loved snorkeling at Mangel Halto and the corals were so beautiful. The waves were pretty rough that day and my mom was fine until she stuck her head up for a few minutes and then got sea sick. I made her hold on to Windie's bouy and she was fine once we got back to shallow water. We saw a really cool octopus at Boca Catalina that we watched scooting around for quite awhile. We saw some small eels, many fish, beautiful coral, jelly fish, no turtle though which is what I really wanted to see. Where did you see it at? Was it as windy your second week as the first?
Old Monday, July 10th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Aruba Expert

Jen. I seen 3 turtles this trip. Just last Saturday, my last day I seen one up north at Molmek. Then I went to Mangel Halto and seen one right where I seen you guys the week before. Last friday I jumped on the Mermaid boat. On Fridays they take divers down to Mangle halto area called the coral gardens. For $25 they will take snorklers to fill up the boat. I was the only snorkler on that day and I seen a turtle. Then I seen a 5 foot barcuda and when I turned around, I had a school of 15 baracudas around me. They were smaller ones. About 3 to 4 feet long. They are just curious. They check you out and then they leave. I'm glad that you liked the coral at Mangel Halto. Is that some of the better coral that you have seen? If you ever get back, have her take you the other way toward thar hut on the small Island. Its alot clearer over there. Also go when its not so rough. Thats hard to pick. Right when all the fire coral starts, you can just hang out in that area and its pretty smooth and really clear. I can't believe that we got so close to each other and didn't even say Hi! I had know idea that you would be snorkling down there. The smoothest day was my first day on Monday. Thats when it was 100 % clear. Even up north. That was the clearest day. The last week was rough to. Saturday, my last day was pretty good. I will e-mail you some pictures when I get them done. Kent
Old Wednesday, July 12th, 2006, 04:43 PM

Theresa is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: Windie's Watersports

Thanks for the info. i had never heard of Windies Watersports. I really like the smaller groups. I will try her in Jan. Theresa
Old Wednesday, July 12th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Aruba Expert

Theresa, When are you going in Jan. We go the last week of Jan. and the first 2 weeks in Feb. I always take alot of people snorkling. The best part is its free!! Kent