Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba In Words > Aruba Trip Reports

Aruba Trip Reports All trip trip reports before August 11, 2010 are archived here . For all new trip reports, please include the name of where you stayed in the title.

Old Thursday, October 7th, 2010, 03:36 PM

arubabob is on a distinguished road
Smile arubabob on the island

I am going to try this again. I posted a report earlier and it seems to have disappeared into the void. sorry if both show up.
We flew AA from TUL/DFW/MIA/AUA using FF miles. First leg was normal. Arrived DFW on time, ate lunch and went to gate for flight to MIA. Supposed to depart at 2pm. Noticed there was no plane at the gate for our 1:30 boarding. Asked gate attendant what was going on. She said our plane had been downchecked by maintenance and they were looking for a replacement plane. She then made that announcement. About 2:15 she said they had found a plane and we would be boarding at 3 so be ready to go. Plane showed up about 10 after 3. We boarded and loaded luggage. Pilot said he would be able to make up some time as he would fly across the gulf instead of following the coast and fly at 39000 ft to go faster. We actually left DFW about 4 arrived in MIA about 7 est. Our flight to AUA was scheduled to leave at 8pm. We made it to the gate about 7:15. Others on the flight missed their connections however as they were supposed to be in MIA at 5:20
Flight to AUA boarded on time then we waited for a flight from Chcago that had 6 Aruba passengers on board. They got there about 15 after so we were ready to go, right? Wrong. The gate attendant came aboard looking for a passenger. It was a 14 year old girl who was supposed to be on the flight. She wasnt there but her bags were in the hold. They could not take off with her bags on and her not so they took her bags off. They had to find them first. Took them 30 mins to find and remove her bags. About the time they did that she shows up and boards. They put her luggage back on. We depart MIA an hour late. Pilot must have broken speed records because we arrived in aruba at 11:15, 35 minutes late.

Got our car from Tropic at the airport. Hans wasnt there, it was a young guy. No problem. Got to PL around 12:15, checked in and went to bed.

Woke up Monday morning to rain and clouds. It was raining some when we got up but shortly after it came a monsoon. It was raining so hard you couldnt see the beach from our balcony. That lasted about 90 minutes. Rained off and on the rest of the day.

Woke up Tuesday to drizzle and clouds. Drizzle quit after an hour, clouds stayed all day. Went down to the pool after the rain. Couldnt get in the ocean as the waves were huge. Looked like the pacific.
Tried to eat dinner at MJs but when we got to the road by the supermarket and turned down it had about 6 inches of water over it. We were behind a cab and it kept going so we followed it. Got to MJs and he dropped off his fare. We could not find a place to park that wasnt underwater so we left and went to Matthews instead.

Woke up Wednesday to Sunny skies. Stayed sunny all day. No wind at all but sunny. Wind has been absent the whole time weve been here. Went to the beach and stayed most of the day. Got in the ocean some and ended up at the pool later. The ocean looks like milk with a lot of seaweed. Snorkeling is out as the visibility is zero.
Ate dinner at the Pelican Pier. Food was excellent. I got grouper that was grilled and Linda got Mahi mahi, also grilled. Both came with grilled veggies, rice and rolls. Servings were very large and price was $20.

This am it was cloudy and we could tell it had rained a lot in the night but the sun came out and it is pretty again. More later.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, October 7th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: arubabob on the island

Hi Bob!! Glad you started a new thread.

I'm tired just reading about your flight, but you got there safely, and that's that!! lol

The weather certainly has been unsettling, but let's hope for blue skies from today on...

Enjoy your anniversary, and thanks for the update!! Looking forward to hearing more.
Old Thursday, October 7th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: arubabob on the island

i'm glad you posted it too. for trip reports you should always be entitled to your own thread. we had nightmares both directions for this trip to aruba so i understand. it is like the never ending day.

glad the sun is out again. hope it stays that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine S View Post
Hi Bob!! Glad you started a new thread.

I'm tired just reading about your flight, but you got there safely, and that's that!! lol

The weather certainly has been unsettling, but let's hope for blue skies from today on...

Enjoy your anniversary, and thanks for the update!! Looking forward to hearing more.
Old Sunday, October 10th, 2010, 11:30 AM

We have had suny skys for the last 3 days. The wind came back yesterday too. Life is good.
Picked up sis and bil at airport friday. No rain since friday after dark.
Ate at Pelican again friday night. Fresh grilled grouper with rce, veggies and role. Wonderful meal. All 4 of us loved it. Went to Madame Janettes last night for anniversary dinner. They gave us a glass of champaigne each. Dinner was not as good as normal. I had the pork tenderloin dutch style and it was a little dry. Linda had the almond grouper and it was a little sweeter than before. Found out they have a new chef from the US.
Moved to Costa Linda friday.
Ocean in front of PL was dirty as well as stirred up. Ocean in front of CL is clean and clear. Waves are pretty big now. Hope they get smaller.
Heading for baby beach this am to snorkel, then drive around the island a bit.
More later.
Old Sunday, October 10th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: arubabob on the island

Love your updates, Bob!

I check the cam everyday, and looks like Aruba weather we all know and love...

Hope you're having fun snorkeling!!!
Old Thursday, October 14th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Aruba Expert

roschone is on a distinguished road

Hooray for wind and sun!!! Glad the weather is cooperating with you - love the updates.

Old Sunday, October 17th, 2010, 09:30 PM

Smile Re: arubabob on the island

Sorry I havnt been able to update, home now.

We had normal Aruba weather the last 7 days of our trip. Sun and wind every day. No more rain.
Saturday bil and I played golf at Divi. We were going to play at Tierra Del Sol 3 times but they had a tournament going saturday, sunday and monday. Fairways were in good condition but the greens were in poor shape. Had fun though. It is a nine hole course and we played from different T boxes on the second nine. Had our anniversary dinner that night which I mentioned previously.
Went to baby beach on Sunday as I had mentioned we were going to do. Big mistake. More people there than I have ever seen before. No place to park. Rodgers beach was crowded as well. Decided not to stay and went into town and ate lunch at The Paddock. Pork sate' was excellent as usual. Three of us ordered the lunch portion which comes with 3 skewers and salad. Chef messed up and did the dinners which come with 4 skewers and fries and salad. No extra charge and had leftovers. Went back to CL and swam in the pool and ate sandwiches and leftovers for dinner.
Went snorkeling at Malmok monday and saw lots of fish and an octopus. Went back to CL and layed on the beach. Dinner was at Blossoms in the Westin. 3 of us loved our food but bil orded some boneless pork dish and wasnt what he expected. It was just boneless ribs with nothing else. They tasted good but not chinese. I had the garlic beef, Linda had sweet and sour chicken and sis had sesame shrimp. All were excellent.
Tuesday bil and I played golf at Tierra Del Sol. Did I mention that it is a tough golf course? It is even tougher right now because of all the rain. The rough is at least 6 inches high in most places and higher in other places. It was hard to find your ball in it and when you did it was hard to hit it out. We lost several balls that way. We also found a bunch of balls that other people lost. We had a rare sighting on the course. We spotted 2 burrowing owls. They had burrowed a den or nest into the edge of a sand bunker near the 14th green. I was able to get some good pictures of them. Dinner at Amazonia. We got the senior discount so it was $22.50 each. Huge salad bar. Meat was continuously coming. Had 8 or 9 different meats plus grilled pineapple. It was fun but I dont think I will do it again.
Wednesday we decided to revisit the natural bridge and tour the island a little. We had not been to the natural bridge since it collapsed. It is sad to see it that way. Linda got a bad headache shortly after we left the bridge so we returned to the CL and got some pizza at Pizza Bobs. We got 2 large pies and had a lot of leftovers. The pizza is very good there. They also serve excellent brucheta and the farmers salad is very good too. Linda took some tylenol and layed down, the rest of us hit the beach. We ate dinner at Chalet Suisse. We werent real hungry after the pizza lunch so we all ordered an appetizer and then had the Toblerone fondue and coffee. They brought us a large plate full of sliced strawberries, pineapple, cantalope, honeydew, bananas, mandarine oranges and cake to dip. It was almost too much but we managed to finish it.
Thursday was another tough day at Tierra Del Sol for bil and I. Wind was a lot stronger than before. We saw the burrowing owls again and got some more pictures. Linda and sis went shopping. We went snorkeling at Malmok after the golf. Saw a lot of fish. A couple of schools of black and blue fish, 2 big sea bass, 1 large black angel fish, a baracuda and a small school of jacks pus a lot of smaller fish. Went back to the Pelican for dinner. Got there at 6 pm and saw the best sunset of the week from our table. No clouds at all. All 4 of us ordered the grilled grouper. It was great. Went back to CL early because we had to be at the airport at 6:15am friday.

Trip home was uneventful except that we sat on the tarmac for over 30 minutes at AUA waiting for clearance to take off. One of our bags didnt make it to Tulsa with us. Guess which one. Yep, my golf clubs. Dont know where they went but they delivered them to the house on saturday morning.
This was a good trip for us except for the first few days. I feel sorry for the folks that had been there 2 weeks in the rain. We met 1 couple that had been there for 3 weeks. They had about 4 days without rain.

Thats about it. Will put up a post later about some changes on the island.
Old Monday, October 18th, 2010, 05:30 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

wonderful report bob! welcome home!

really interested to see your views on the changes. looking forward to it. knowing you and how often we match on things, i'll bet it will be like i was typing it, lol.

btw, murray would have been grinning at the screw up at paddock. their sate is his favorite.
Old Monday, October 18th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Aruba Expert

ArubaMary is on a distinguished road

Hi Bob,
I enjoyed your trip reports and appreciate the time you took to keep us updated. Sorry your first days were rainy, but I'm pleased the weather became more like the Aruba we all love for your last days. Once again, thank you.