Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba Restaurant Reviews

Aruba Restaurant Reviews For new aruba restaurants reviews or to post a new review click here. To view archived reviews click here.

View Poll Results: Marina Pirata
poor 1 7.14%
average 2 14.29%
good 1 7.14%
very good 3 21.43%
excellent 7 50.00%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old Wednesday, August 3rd, 2005, 07:03 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Marina Pirata

Marina Pirata

tell us what you think. vote and/or write a comment.
Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, August 4th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Aruba Expert

Carol is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Marina Pirata

We love Marina Pirata -- it's our favorite seafood restaurant in Aruba. I just love sitting out on the deck over the water and relaxing. If you go early, you can enjoy the sunset. If you go later, you dine under the stars and moon, and a lantern lighting your table. Ricky and Hasanne are the owners, and they do a great job. The waiters and waitresses also do a good job, and are always friendly, helpful, and quick to show big smiles.

Some of our favorites to start the meal are the oyster soup, the five star soup, the conch in oyster sauce, and the calamari in garlic sauce. We always enjoy any of the fish or shrimp dishes we order for the main course -- but some favorites are the deep fried red snapper, beer batter shrimp, and the barracuda (when it's catch of the day) prepared as the chef's special.

It will be an expensive cab ride (a little more than the airport, but less than Flying Fishbone), so try to go when you have a rental car.
Share with Facebook
Old Saturday, October 8th, 2005, 06:25 PM

DebbieB is on a distinguished road

Love Marina Pirata. They have been especially nice to let us come in and eat after a day of snorkeling at Mangel Halto with clothes over our bathing suits and very ugly hair! The sunset view is nice and after dark, the fish swirl around the lights. No railing, so you feel like you are right on the water. Wonderful Oyster soup. I would go for that alone. tropical drinks are large and tasty too.
Share with Facebook
Old Friday, October 28th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Aruba Expert

charlescroes is on a distinguished road

As locals, this is one of our favorites. Kind of nesstled away and very quiet. It has very good fish (mostly fresh) the only thing I would stay away from (and not for the quality but simply because it isn't their best dish) is the lobster. While good, they have other offerings that are deeeeelicious - such as the pan broiled snapper. Why in the world am I telling you Aruba pros this? You guys already know.
charles
Share with Facebook
Old Friday, October 28th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Aruba Expert

Better that your life is a circle than a square. What goes around comes around, even when the bend is 90 degrees
charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry
Marina Pirata

tell us what you think. vote and/or write a comment.
Share with Facebook
Old Monday, October 31st, 2005, 03:07 PM

Manzanita is on a distinguished road

I'm glad to see the good reviews of this restaurant. When we were in Aruba last July, we were driving through the neighborhoods & spotted Marina Pirata yet weren't able to stop in on that trip. We're back in Aruba on the 26th of November & will make a special effort to eat there. Thanks Charles, for the pan fried snapper recommendation!
Old Monday, October 31st, 2005, 03:31 PM
Almost Aruban

kevin d is on a distinguished road

Thanks from me too, I surely would have ordered the lobster! I've had lobster before and been disappointed, not because it's 'bad' but because it's always the most expensive thing on the menu and sometimes doesn't live up to the hype. I LOVE snapper, and will be glad to try it!

By the way, the fish you can see swimming around the lights at night? Some of them are snook, and I plan on catching them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzanita
Thanks Charles, for the pan fried snapper recommendation!
Old Monday, October 31st, 2005, 04:40 PM
Aruba Expert

evin,
Would be interesting to fish with one hand and eat fish with the other. New twist.
Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin d
Thanks from me too, I surely would have ordered the lobster! I've had lobster before and been disappointed, not because it's 'bad' but because it's always the most expensive thing on the menu and sometimes doesn't live up to the hype. I LOVE snapper, and will be glad to try it!

By the way, the fish you can see swimming around the lights at night? Some of them are snook, and I plan on catching them!
Share with Facebook
Old Monday, October 31st, 2005, 04:48 PM
Aruba Expert

By the way, they are the old standard "Bull-Mullets" No snook out there (already looked.
c
Share with Facebook
Old Monday, October 31st, 2005, 09:18 PM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlescroes
By the way, they are the old standard "Bull-Mullets" No snook out there (already looked.
c
Mullets?? That would explain why I've never caught a snook there. I was once told by a local that snook were in the area by the MP dock, and spent a couple days trying to entice a strike from one before I finally gave up and went to the bridge nearby and fished from there instead. Good thing - the cudas (and tarpon! Who knew?) bite just fine from the bridge...
Old Monday, October 31st, 2005, 09:31 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Marina Pirata

A snook??? You eat snooks?? It sounds absolutely gross!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin d
Mullets?? That would explain why I've never caught a snook there. I was once told by a local that snook were in the area by the MP dock, and spent a couple days trying to entice a strike from one before I finally gave up and went to the bridge nearby and fished from there instead. Good thing - the cudas (and tarpon! Who knew?) bite just fine from the bridge...
Old Tuesday, November 1st, 2005, 10:33 AM
Almost Aruban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine S
A snook??? You eat snooks?? It sounds absolutely gross!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is a silly sounding name, but also one of the tastiest fish you could ever hope to blacken. My faves to eat (in order):
1- Red snapper (Blackened or broiled)
2- Snook (Blackened)
3- Redfish (Red Drum)
4- Mahi (Dolphin)(Not Flipper)
5- Catfish (cajun style)

YUM
Old Tuesday, November 1st, 2005, 02:19 PM
Aruba Expert

Snook is delicious. In the deep south they eat mullet as well in Fried fish balls etc. (I hope that does not get taken out of context.)

Snook is great. Super nice whitish meat with lots' of flavor.

Tarpon? Bring a large salt water fly rod and go under the bridge nearby the drive in theater (you know the one I mean) and under that bridge, cast into the direction of the ocean smack in the middle or buy the left side mangrove. I use a large shrimp fly. It looks like a bunch of feathers to me but fish have tiny brains. After you catch old man Tarpon twent or thirty times, say thank you and leave him there for me to play with when bored. Huge and very playful fish.
Snook are plentyfull right infront of (get ready for this) La Cabana and on the stretch of beach between L.C. and Costa Linda. I normally surf fish them. They tend to get up real close. Think they are looking for Sand Fleas. Normally I use a simple spoon. #2 with catch and lrelease hooks. No sense in keeping those guys.

Go get'm Kevin. Any stories about how you went and they were not there would be Bull.

Be well
charles
Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, November 1st, 2005, 02:45 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Marina Pirata

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlescroes
Snook is delicious. In the deep south they eat mullet as well in Fried fish balls etc. (I hope that does not get taken out of context.)
Charles, before my yinnie Kevin alludes to me commenting on that sentence... (he always prods me) my lips are sealed, shut... tightly!!
Old Tuesday, November 1st, 2005, 04:50 PM
Aruba Expert

Good for you. See you all - I am done for the day.
charles
Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, February 6th, 2007, 11:17 AM

opadaking is on a distinguished road

What a fantastic restaurant. View is great. Service is great and the food is the best. How can you beat it for freshness when you see a fisherman come up to the window in his boat and hold up fish to the chef so he can pick and choose. My Mahi Mahi went from the fisherman to the chef to my plate. WE go here every year. Yes it is hard to find, but once you do, you'll be hooked forever.
Share with Facebook
Old Friday, March 9th, 2007, 06:39 PM

Kathy from Ohio is on a distinguished road

We had high hopes when we went to Marina Pirata last March. Friends who have been going to Aruba for over 30 years recommended it and said it was their favorite place. We didn't have reservations and it was a very busy night. They did fit us in, but we got a crappy table by the kitchen. We could have lived with that. We waited an incredibly long time for our food. Hubby ordered the fish, I ordered shrimp. Mine was barely room temperature when it came. We did see the fisherman bringing in more fish while we were waiting. We wondered if they had run out. None of the wait staff would make eye contact with us and we waited forever to get our check. I finally went out to the car, while my husband stood up by our table and waited. When he finally did bring the check, my husband told him we were only paying for the fish dinner. The waiter said fine. My husband got diarrhea that evening and had it for 3 days after eating there. We wouldn't go back. We are usually very easy to please and never send our food back or complain, etc., but this was the worst place we've eaten in 8 trips to Aruba.
Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, July 3rd, 2007, 12:26 PM

Love F&B is on a distinguished road

It surprises me that some did have a bad experience there. I guess it could happen. My husband and I have been going there for years and never had any bad experiences. Their broiled red snapper is fantastic, especially while enjoying the sunset. Ask Ricky, the owner, for a Blue Lagoen. That's one of their great cocktails.
Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, January 10th, 2008, 05:14 PM

Arubagal is on a distinguished road

NOT a good experience for us on Jan 3/08.

Drinks and appetizers arrived after about 20 minutes BUT from the time we finished these until we saw our entrees was 75 minutes. During that time, no one offered me a second glass of wine and for 60 minutes we had no idea what was taking so long with the food. Other tables seemed also to be looking around for their server.

After 60 minutes we were briefly told "your food will be here soon" and 15 minutes later, it was.

My "chef's special" of grouper with creole sauce was good. My son did not especially enjoy his "broiled lobster" (which in fact was a lobster tail and that should have been specified) and my daughter felt her portion of garlic shrimp was very skimpy (and she's just a 110 pound teen).

While we waited for our food, the kitchen rang the bell incessantly to attract the servers to pick up food. At first it was sporadic, later it was DING DING DING DING DING DING DING 12 or 15 times in rapid succession. Sounded like the local quick bite greasy spoon, and completely destroyed the ambiance.

We didn't even attempt to stay for dessert or coffee as who knows how long it would have taken to appear.

Maybe we caught an off night. But it's a long drive and Aruba is covered in wonderful restaurants. I think in future we'll pass on this one.
Old Monday, January 28th, 2008, 11:48 AM

arubanut is on a distinguished road

Love this place,

Looking forward till April 2008(68 days to go)

Share with Facebook