Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba Restaurant Reviews

Aruba Restaurant Reviews For new aruba restaurants reviews or to post a new review click here. To view archived reviews click here.

View Poll Results: Papiamento
poor 1 5.56%
average 1 5.56%
good 3 16.67%
very good 4 22.22%
excellent 9 50.00%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sunday, June 12th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Papiamento

Papiamento

tell us what you think. vote and/or write a comment.
Share with Facebook
Old Sunday, June 12th, 2005, 11:24 AM

dixieluvsaruba is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Papiamento

By far, our favorite on the island. It is hard to know which is better, the food or the atmosphere.
Atmosphere: Restaurant in an old Aruban Manor. Seating by the pool which has floating candles and flowers in it. Lovely music and twinkling lights in the trees above your head. Very nice bar and lounge area at the back of the restaurant (outdoors). There is also indoor seating available but we never get past the lovely garden/pool area.

Food: Wonderful Aruban cooking. Good selection of meats (beef and chicken) as well as wonderful seafood selections. Most served on a hot stone platter. Great salads, desserts and drinks as well.

The owner and his staff are fantastic. Can't wait to go again in September!!!

Aruba September 7 - 14, 2014

Woohoo!!!!!!

Share with Facebook
Old Monday, July 4th, 2005, 03:56 PM

Laurasalzy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Papiamento

We had the opposite experience here. Arrived at 6:30 for our 6:30 reservation and they made us wait at the bar for about 20 minutes. Place was empty. Sat by the pool, fought off ants crawling all around the worn out dirty, slimey pool entire time. Food was bland, way overpriced and service was poor. Would never return. Couldn't get waiter's attention if your life depended on it. They stood around and chatted with each other and wouldn't allow their eyes to look at the customers. Very disappointing after reading about this place for over 10 years of visiting Aruba.
Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, July 6th, 2005, 04:34 PM

Karin is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Papiamento

This has always been one of our favorites. Never had any complaints with food or staff. We always have an enjoyable evening dining at Papiamento.
Share with Facebook
Old Monday, July 11th, 2005, 02:13 PM

DeeDee is on a distinguished road

I have to say when I think back on this restaurant I more remember the romantic attmosphere than the food. Sitting around the pool at night with the tiny lights in the tree's and a nice glass of wine makes for a relaxing dinner. Although I honestly can't remember the food!
Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, August 2nd, 2005, 07:16 PM
Aruba Expert

Carol is on a distinguished road

This is our favorite restaurant in Aruba. We've eaten dinner there on every visit for 20 years, and have never been disappointed. We started dining at Papiamento when it was downtown, and have seen the Noord location grow and change over the years. We love sitting outside by the pool, but sitting inside is also nice. The food and service have always been excellent, and a visit to Aruba is not complete without dinner at Papiamento.
Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, August 10th, 2006, 11:14 AM

medusa is on a distinguished road

I agree with you, i have been there twice and always the same, bad service, dirty pool, and avarage food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurasalzy
We had the opposite experience here. Arrived at 6:30 for our 6:30 reservation and they made us wait at the bar for about 20 minutes. Place was empty. Sat by the pool, fought off ants crawling all around the worn out dirty, slimey pool entire time. Food was bland, way overpriced and service was poor. Would never return. Couldn't get waiter's attention if your life depended on it. They stood around and chatted with each other and wouldn't allow their eyes to look at the customers. Very disappointing after reading about this place for over 10 years of visiting Aruba.
Share with Facebook
Old Saturday, August 19th, 2006, 06:51 PM

Larainerenee is on a distinguished road

We had been here about 8 years ago and remembered a lovely setting, altho small portions and a long, drawn out meal. Early this July we were in Aruba with some friends and they were eager to eat here, so we agreed.
Big mistake. We were seated under a big tree and about halfway through the meal, my husband mentioned that he thought it was beginning to rain - he had felt a drop fall on his head. Nope, it wasn\\\'t raining... A few minutes later, it happened again - this time a dark blob all over his shirt. We immediately got our server and asked for the check so we could leave. It took a very long time for them to bring the check - we actually got up and waited at the check-in desk so as not to be bombarded anymore. The manager in charge took my husband\\\'s dinner off the check, but was not too apologetic for our inconvenience. Actually, we saw the staff setting up that table for some other unlucky diners! We strongly suggested that they not sit anyone else there!
A word of caution if you attempt to eat here - DO NOT SIT UNDER A TREE and - it rarely rains in Aruba!
Share with Facebook
Old Saturday, August 19th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Aruba Expert

Kent is on a distinguished road

How can this place get such different reveiws? Its either the best place on the Island or the worste. Seems like there is no in between. We were going to try it in Feb but I don't know what to think now.
Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, February 6th, 2007, 11:43 AM

opadaking is on a distinguished road

Used to be our favorite restaurant. Has gone downhill in past few years. Very expensive and service is poor. I am not someone who worries about how long it is between courses. We are usually there with friends and enjoy their company as opposed to getting our meal and leaving, but I expect the wait staff to keep an eye on the table and not let water glasses or drinks get empty before making an appearance. We know the Ellis family and hope this post will spur them to greatness. Change the staff or train them better. Food is top shelf and if the service matched it it would again be a gem. I always have the stone cooked surf and turf and it is presented very well. Prices do need to come down a little also. Too many great restaurants on the island today with more reasonable pricing. Just one mans opinion.
Share with Facebook
Old Friday, April 11th, 2008, 06:36 AM

bhoffdhoff is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Papiamento

We ate there the other night. I absolutely love this place for the atmosphere. To me, it is just so romantic. Our meals were very good. I had the garlic chicken and DH had some kind of shrimp. We ordered escargot as an appetizer. Our only complaint? Dan was still hungry at the end of the meal. His shrimp were good, but not plentiful. All in all, a lovely evening.

Bobbie
Share with Facebook
Old Friday, April 11th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

bobbie, we are related. i know we are. you read my mind. that was the one problem we had the only time we went there. everyone including the one woman in the party that eats like a bird left and wanted to go somewhere for a snack an hour later. the atmosphere is wonderful and the food was very good even then but we just never went back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoffdhoff View Post
We ate there the other night. I absolutely love this place for the atmosphere. To me, it is just so romantic. Our meals were very good. I had the garlic chicken and DH had some kind of shrimp. We ordered escargot as an appetizer. Our only complaint? Dan was still hungry at the end of the meal. His shrimp were good, but not plentiful. All in all, a lovely evening.

Bobbie
Share with Facebook