Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba Restaurant Reviews

Aruba Restaurant Reviews For new aruba restaurants reviews or to post a new review click here. To view archived reviews click here.

View Poll Results: Tulip
poor 2 5.13%
average 14 35.90%
good 3 7.69%
very good 16 41.03%
excellent 4 10.26%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sunday, June 12th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Tulip

Tulip

tell us what you think. vote and/or write a comment.

Last edited by dwippies; Sunday, June 12th, 2005 at 03:40 PM.
Share with Facebook
Old Sunday, June 12th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Tulip

we know they are new so will probably give them a second chance but the food was really just average when we were there. my portion of macho nachos that was supposed to be an entree was the size of an appetizer. murray's chicken sate platter was a nice size the the chicken was chewy.
Share with Facebook
Old Monday, June 20th, 2005, 11:55 AM

Winebrat is on a distinguished road

We were thinking about going there tonight. Glad I read this first. I won't risk our last meal on a "maybe" restaurant. Thanks.

Last edited by Daphne; Monday, June 20th, 2005 at 03:02 PM.
Share with Facebook
Old Monday, June 20th, 2005, 02:07 PM

andrea j. is on a distinguished road

We had a delicious dinner there.
I had Kashi Yena , Paul has rib eye steak and our friend Charles has steak as well (maybe tenderloin)

Meals were delicious.
Service was slow.

Price was very reasonable....very inexpensive.

We'd go again.

Last edited by Daphne; Monday, June 20th, 2005 at 03:02 PM.
Share with Facebook
Old Saturday, July 9th, 2005, 11:09 PM

SeaGull is on a distinguished road

I'm glad to hear you liked it. We thought we'd try the Keshi Yena at Tulip this trip. It was excellent at Gasparito.

Tulip

Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, July 19th, 2005, 11:08 AM

Manzanita is on a distinguished road

Reasonably priced, but as many have said here, average food. Because of recent stomach surgery *darn!* I had the soup of the day (vegetable) which was excellent! However, my husbands Tenderloin Dutch Style was not tender & my daughters Breaded Chicken was somewhat overcooked.

The service was very good & our waitress (didn't catch her name.... she was Indonesian) was precious! We probably won't go back for dinner, but might try the breakfast on our next trip.
Old Saturday, July 23rd, 2005, 01:39 PM

ArubaKid is on a distinguished road

I had the worst steak I have ever had there. Grizzle throughout. That said, the restaurant was clean, the menu interesting, and the prices were low.
Old Wednesday, August 10th, 2005, 08:59 AM

rjb65 is on a distinguished road

Had a very good and very cheap dinner there. Had catch of the day in a really good sauce. Wife had mixed meat that also was good. Nice waitress. Neat clean place. Kids had spaghettii and enjoyed.
Share with Facebook
Old Saturday, October 15th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Aruba Expert

ArubaAmy is on a distinguished road

Had both a wonderful dinner and a lunch here. Food and service are great and the prices are inexpensive.

26th trip to Aruba: April 2012
27th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2012
Share with Facebook
Old Saturday, October 15th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Almost Aruban

Liz from N.J. is on a distinguished road

Everyone's post had different experiences. Not sure if I will try it in Dec. (well probably not)
Share with Facebook
Old Saturday, October 15th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Aruba Expert

It is kind of weird that all of the reviews differ so much.

I had dinner there in April (very good - onion soup and the tenderloin).

On this last trip both dinner (Nasi Gorgeng special and Keshi Yena) and lunch (Thai chicken salad - husband had the Uitsmijter sandwich, his favorite ). Have always had a great meal there and will definitely be back in the spring.

Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, November 23rd, 2005, 06:14 PM

tbear is on a distinguished road

Part of our group selected to eat one night at the Tulip, the feedback was just an okay, as to compared to some other places we all ate at, it fell in the mid-range of non-fancy places. You be the judge should you go, many places can change like the wind if help changes, management fails, etc.
All what one is accustomed to......... a happy go lucky waiter can add a point even if meal is so-so, but a poor meal can sour anyone.
Share with Facebook
Old Sunday, March 5th, 2006, 08:35 PM

Thumbs up Re: Tulip

Really good food and reasonable prices.

Share with Facebook
Old Monday, March 6th, 2006, 12:35 PM

Sundown is on a distinguished road

We went to Tulip based on a recommendation. Price was very reasonable, Onion Soup and appetizer was excellent. My wife's fish was dry and the "tenderloin" was far from tender. The bill called it Dutch Fried Steak. It was not what I expected. Place was very pretty and the sevice was good.

Jim
Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, March 9th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Almost Aruban

elisabeth_nj is on a distinguished road

Anyone have a menu?
Old Thursday, March 9th, 2006, 03:48 PM
Almost Aruban

pgsoder is on a distinguished road

Went to Tulip again my week 8 trip. And again, I would have to say that all of our meals were excellant. Sister-in-law and I both had the filet mignon and you could cut it with just your table knife. It was done to perfection and very, very tasty. My veggies were all fresh, and I loved their potato dish, very flavorful. My brother had the "Mixed Grill" and could not eat all of his food there was so much. He said it was delicious. Have been going to Tulip since they first opened and the only thing I can say as to what they might improve is, they need more servers.
Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, March 22nd, 2006, 07:35 PM
Aruba Expert

susanna is on a distinguished road

Ate ther last week 2 had the Mahi-Mahi special, 2 had the parmesaen chicken. All meals were excellent. H and I started with the oignon soup, and that too was delicious! The meal was very good, and moderately priced. I had a sangria, the 2 men had a Heinekein. They served garlic bread with this...I think that the bill came to around $75 for the 4 of us, including drinks.
Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, July 5th, 2006, 05:12 PM

Love to Snorkel is on a distinguished road

I was a bit disappointed. The food was good enough but the staff was not friendly to the point of almost being rude. Had tira misu for dessert and it was tasteless.
Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, July 6th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Aruba Expert

AuntieMame is on a distinguished road

We had a very good meal - which was also a good value. The place was packed and we had not booked but they re-purposed a small table and brought in two chairs for us. Tulip is now on our must do list.

Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, July 6th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Almost Aruban

TULIP RESTAURANT is always a MUST for us. We found it on a walk down the beach one evening after eating at Chalet Swiss, (a place we will never return to as they rush you too much if you go to early seating). We have been going to this quaint little place (TULIP) since it first opened and never have been disappointed in our meals. As I have stated before, their filet mignon (Argentine beef) is so tender you can cut with your fork and it is super delicious. None of us ever have room for dessert, so can't comment on that. I always order the potatoes au gratin and love them. We will be going at least twice our upcoming Dec. trip and when I go in Feb. I will go again. It has become so popular that reservations are a must or you might have a very long wait.
Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, July 6th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Almost Aruban

elisabeth_nj is on a distinguished road

[quote=pgsoder@yahoo.com]TULIP RESTAURANT is always a MUST for us. We found it on a walk down the beach one evening after eating at Chalet Swiss, (a place we will never return to as they rush you too much if you go to early seating). We have been going to this quaint little place (TULIP) since it first opened and never have been disappointed in our meals. As I have stated before, their filet mignon (Argentine beef) is so tender you can cut with your fork and it is super delicious. None of us ever have room for dessert, so can't comment on that. I always order the potatoes au gratin and love them. We will be going at least twice our upcoming Dec. trip and when I go in Feb. I will go again. It has become so popular that reservations are a must or you might have a very long wait.[/quote]

This is why we eat at the bar. Always good conversation and free internet! Besides you have the kitchen right there and our food seems to come out quite quickly (not that we are rushing to go anywhere). Also never have to wait for our Sangria!!! This is a must for us now also.
Old Thursday, July 6th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsoder@yahoo.com
None of us ever have room for dessert, so can't comment on that.
I never do either but my girlfriend taught me a trick....get the dessert "to go" (if you can) and have it on the beach the next day. I had the best key lime cheesecake at Tulip "to go" and it tasted yummy (nice and cold) on the beach the following day!

Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, July 6th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Almost Aruban

Liz from N.J. is on a distinguished road

I stated last year that I probably wouldn't try Tulips because of mixed reviews. In April I was at La Cabana for a week by myself and didn't want to drive far one night. So I went to Tulips which is very close to La Cabana.

What I had was pretty good - Ribeye (the special), soup (I forgot what kind, but remember that it was good), and Sangraia which was delicious.

Dinner was inexpensive $3.34 for soup, $12.08 for ribeye, $2.95 sangria. Prices were in Aruba $ that why amounts are a odd $.

It's on my list when I return in Oct. with hubby.
Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, July 18th, 2006, 07:53 AM

JohnL is on a distinguished road

This is a restaraunt you can definitely skip. POOR service. Very few waitresses/waiters. No wonder it's so cheap. Soup was good and meal was OK, but that all important service aspect was definitely missing. You get better service at King RIbs....which is fabulous!
Old Tuesday, July 18th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Aruba Expert

That's unfortunate. We've been there several times for both lunch and dinner and have always had good service.

Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, July 18th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Almost Aruban

Unfortunate indeed. No matter how slow the service is we will continue to go to Tulip as we find it to be a wonderful atmosphere, friendly people, delicious foods, and worth waiting for. When we are in Aruba we expect a much slower pace, so adjust once our feet hit the pavement at the airport. It is part of the total relaxation mode!
Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, July 18th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Administrator

our original trip was a disaster. small portions, slow rude service, and nothing positive. it was a new restaurant at that point so we are planning to give it another try in a few weeks. i hope it has improved. i will post my comments after that visit.
Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, July 18th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Tulip

I must be one of the only people who doesn't like King Ribs... just like their "potato salad." I, too ~ will give Tulip another shot next February.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL
This is a restaraunt you can definitely skip. POOR service. Very few waitresses/waiters. No wonder it's so cheap. Soup was good and meal was OK, but that all important service aspect was definitely missing. You get better service at King RIbs....which is fabulous!
Old Tuesday, July 18th, 2006, 08:50 PM

Pgsoder@yahoo.com wrote: “No matter how slow the service is we will continue to go to Tulip as we find it to be a wonderful atmosphere, friendly people, delicious foods, and worth waiting for. When we are in Aruba we expect a much slower pace, so adjust once our feet hit the pavement at the airport. It is part of the total relaxation mode!”

Here's JohnL's reply to this nonsense:

Poor service at Tulip is NOT “part of the total relaxation mode!” I have been coming to Aruba every year since 1991 for at least 2 weeks each year. I know the pace of Aruba, have Aruban and Dutch friends who live in Noord and Oranjestat, and I am usually in Aruba pace even when I’m not there (only because I want to be there). Anyway, back to Tulip. I have decided to let you all decide if our experience at Tulip is “part of the total relaxation mode!” You be the judge.

About 10 days ago, I called reservations at Tulip in early AM for 6 people at 7 PM, same day. Was on hold for 5 minutes with Tulip. Finally got reservation straightened out. Ok, no problem, mon!

Arrived at Tulip at 7 PM sharp. The place was almost empty. Yet we were told the table was not ready. No offer to order drinks while waiting. Not directed to a place to wait. So we waited in the “wonderful atmosphere” of Tulip which overlooks the walkway of 2 floors of hotel room doors, a kiddie pool the size of a Jacuzzi, and a kiddie playground. No problem, mon!

Stood around for 15 minutes when the hostess yelled over tables (with people eating) to us that our table was ready, pointing to the table. We sat ourselves. No water glasses on table. Knife and fork rolled up into cloth napkin, but no spoons. 5 minutes later, a waitress arrives with 6 menus and hands them to my wife, which we then pass around (I suspect the waitress was in “the total relaxation mode” of Aruba). No offer to take drink orders. No bread and water. Nothing. Waitress leaves. 10 minutes later, waitress returns to take our dinner order. Still no bread and water. No offer to order drinks. So I say we’d like to start with drinks. We ask for water and bread. She takes a drink order (the one and only). She also takes our appetizer order. I order soup (and a spoon). 5 minutes later she returns with my soup and a spoon. Still no bread or water. We ask for this again and she gets it right this time, but with an attitude (must be part of the “friendly people” at Tulip). Soup is good but cold. Ok, starting to wish I was somewhere else.

Drinks come and she orders our meal without going over specials. Meals come rather fast, but portions are small. Food was OK (far from “delicious”). During meal, we notice a dirty cat is strolling the floor of the restaurant…no collar so probably a stray (just what I like to see during my meal “worth waiting for”). Waitress does not return until about 10 minutes after we had finished our meal. No offer of coffee or desert is made. No drink order offer.

She had the bill right away though- about $110. Not a bad price, but I felt I could have gotten much better service at King Ribs for a much lower price and MUCH better food.

I was never expecting a Sole Mare or Madame Janette experience, but this place is not even worth another try. Maybe I’ll just chalk it up to “part of the total relaxation mode” of Aruba. But I doubt it. What say you?
Old Tuesday, July 18th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Administrator

i must say john that my experience there was not much different. food was hot though but i actually left a bit hungry. like i say, i will give them one more try and that will be it. i am willing to concede to a bad day. i sure have them myself.

Quote:
Pgsoder@yahoo.com wrote: “No matter how slow the service is we will continue to go to Tulip as we find it to be a wonderful atmosphere, friendly people, delicious foods, and worth waiting for. When we are in Aruba we expect a much slower pace, so adjust once our feet hit the pavement at the airport. It is part of the total relaxation mode!”

Here's JohnL's reply to this nonsense:

Poor service at Tulip is NOT “part of the total relaxation mode!” I have been coming to Aruba every year since 1991 for at least 2 weeks each year. I know the pace of Aruba, have Aruban and Dutch friends who live in Noord and Oranjestat, and I am usually in Aruba pace even when I’m not there (only because I want to be there). Anyway, back to Tulip. I have decided to let you all decide if our experience at Tulip is “part of the total relaxation mode!” You be the judge.

About 10 days ago, I called reservations at Tulip in early AM for 6 people at 7 PM, same day. Was on hold for 5 minutes with Tulip. Finally got reservation straightened out. Ok, no problem, mon!

Arrived at Tulip at 7 PM sharp. The place was almost empty. Yet we were told the table was not ready. No offer to order drinks while waiting. Not directed to a place to wait. So we waited in the “wonderful atmosphere” of Tulip which overlooks the walkway of 2 floors of hotel room doors, a kiddie pool the size of a Jacuzzi, and a kiddie playground. No problem, mon!

Stood around for 15 minutes when the hostess yelled over tables (with people eating) to us that our table was ready, pointing to the table. We sat ourselves. No water glasses on table. Knife and fork rolled up into cloth napkin, but no spoons. 5 minutes later, a waitress arrives with 6 menus and hands them to my wife, which we then pass around (I suspect the waitress was in “the total relaxation mode” of Aruba). No offer to take drink orders. No bread and water. Nothing. Waitress leaves. 10 minutes later, waitress returns to take our dinner order. Still no bread and water. No offer to order drinks. So I say we’d like to start with drinks. We ask for water and bread. She takes a drink order (the one and only). She also takes our appetizer order. I order soup (and a spoon). 5 minutes later she returns with my soup and a spoon. Still no bread or water. We ask for this again and she gets it right this time, but with an attitude (must be part of the “friendly people” at Tulip). Soup is good but cold. Ok, starting to wish I was somewhere else.

Drinks come and she orders our meal without going over specials. Meals come rather fast, but portions are small. Food was OK (far from “delicious”). During meal, we notice a dirty cat is strolling the floor of the restaurant…no collar so probably a stray (just what I like to see during my meal “worth waiting for”). Waitress does not return until about 10 minutes after we had finished our meal. No offer of coffee or desert is made. No drink order offer.

She had the bill right away though- about $110. Not a bad price, but I felt I could have gotten much better service at King Ribs for a much lower price and MUCH better food.

I was never expecting a Sole Mare or Madame Janette experience, but this place is not even worth another try. Maybe I’ll just chalk it up to “part of the total relaxation mode” of Aruba. But I doubt it. What say you?
Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, July 18th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine S
I must be one of the only people who doesn't like King Ribs...
I'm with you on that one, Elaine. Just not my cup of tea.

Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, July 19th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry
i must say john that my experience there was not much different. food was hot though but i actually left a bit hungry. like i say, i will give them one more try and that will be it. i am willing to concede to a bad day. i sure have them myself.

Also, I dont find pg's post to be nonsense. As we all know, there are good and bad nights at restaurants, and John's was obviously a bad one! Pg obviously had a different experience!

Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, July 19th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Almost Aruban

Thanks Corrine-you are so right when you state that we all have had different experiences in Aruba Restaurants. And that is why we all visit this BB-to read reviews and to express our opinions. I have read many great reviews about the Chalet Suisse Restaurant, El Goucho's, and Iguana Joe's and those are 3 places we were VERY disappointed in. Chalet Suisse staff were unpleasant and rushed us through our meal, food was nothing great and prices were high, El Goucho's tables too close to each other, service was slower than a snail's pace and it was freezing in the place and our steaks were tough and overdone, and even though we did ask for our potato twice, we never did get them, and Iguana Joe's was way slower service than we ever had at Tulip and our bill for 4 burgers (tasteless) and 4 Balashi's was higher than our bill at Tulip. But, we have been back to Iguana Joe's and had a great experience and delicious burgers and fries, maybe our Dec. trip we might try Chalet Suisse again, but for me El Goucho's is out, merely because I can't enjoy a meal if I am freezing, and yes, I did have on a sweater.
Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, July 19th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Administrator

ok guys...momma is gonna butt in here again. we have slowly been edging toward personal attacks. that is a big no-no on this board. this is only a restaurant. lord, if you want to insult each other make it something big and important like your mother dressed you funny.

remember what i have said before, opinions are like a**holes. everyone has one. none are wrong. they are personal opinions.

maybe we need to remember that although we may not say it as we post the words 'in my opinion' are assumed at the beginning of a opinion comment.

how about if this restaurant doesn't get any action until somebody has actually eaten there again???? i think i volunteer if no one else does.

hey, anyone have their email address? this thread could make or break their restaurant.
Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, July 19th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Almost Aruban

Sherry-I do- verlof@setarnet.aw He is the Restaurant manager
Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, July 19th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Administrator

thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsoder@yahoo.com
Sherry-I do- verlof@setarnet.aw He is the Restaurant manager
Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, July 19th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Aruba Expert

Dunno about you guys but we've gone several times to the same restaurant and not found it to be really "the same". For example, though Chalet Suisse is our favorite, last year it was not quite up to snuff.

So if the same couple can have different experiences with successive visits to the same establishment, then it should come as no surprise that different folks would have different experiences as well. Restaurants aren't like movies. When we go, we don't always get the same show.

I think that's where boards like this do us a great service. If a place gets mostly good reviews and we find it poor, we will usually give it a second shot.

Let's all feel free to say how good/bad the service, the food, the atmosphere was when we visited. And let's not jump on each other because if we do then folks won't feel free to post their experiences.

And that would be a bad thing.
Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, July 19th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Tulip

Last year I made a post about Waterfront Crabhouse.. My experience there was anything but good. Roy Leich, the owner, unbeknown to me, reads this board. After reading it, he sent me an e-mail to apologize, and asked that I be his guest with my guest for dinner so that he could make it up to me. I made sure to take his letter with me when I went on my trip... He had given me his private cell number.

Ironically, while having dinner with our Mafalda one night at Pizza Bob's, Roy said hello to her, she introduced me to him and so it went. Not only did my guest and myself have a wonderful dinner at the Crabhouse, but Roy and I ultimately became friends since he runs the Tortuga Restaurant at ABC where I stay, and I saw him almost every day.

Roy's one hell of a businessman, and people person for watching these boards and knowing it's important enough not to ignore any review of a bad meal.
Old Wednesday, July 19th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Administrator

the power of the pen? the keyboard?? whatever...

i emailed before my errands and have already received a reply. i must compliment him on his rapid reply.

Thank you for your interest and the nice job you are doing in the BB. I take a look every day at most BB of Aruba and I love the feedback from guests as it is my best tool to correct problems.

As you know, we, the Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort manage the MVC Eagle Beach. The Tulip restaurant is growing now and getting a good name for two reasons: It's food and its price. We jumped from 20 covers or less per night to 140 cover average per night in less than a year and that gives me a positive reaction from our performance

We are trying to do our best to maintain an excellent service and also to maintain the quality of the food for the price we are offering. On a daily basis we get excellent comments and also, some of them with a constructive criticism. Personally, I find Tulip's food one of my favorites because it is like having dinner at home; no fancy things, not spicy etc. etc.

I appreciate too much the job you are doing and specially taking the time to contact me in this case. I give you my word we are correcting many things and trying not to affect the quality........our prices give me almost no space to fulfill the expectations of certain quality of guests.

Thank you once again.

Anything you may need from me, just drop me a line.
Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, July 20th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Aruba Expert

I've always known the staff at Amsterdam Manor (which includes Tulip) to be very responsive to any comments - both good and bad. Their main goal has always been to please their customers. Things do go wrong on occasion (unfortunately, nothing is ever perfect) and if they do, you should let them know of any problems and/or disappointments so that they're able to correct it.

Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, July 20th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Aruba Expert

LynnS is on a distinguished road

I know this question has been asked- sorry- I don't remember the answer

Is Tulip's outside seating only?
Old Thursday, July 20th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS
I know this question has been asked- sorry- I don't remember the answer

Is Tulip's outside seating only?
It's mostly outside but there are a few tables inside near the bar (A/C).

Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, July 20th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Aruba Expert

We sat inside, but the doors were all open so it was like outside but without the breeze.
Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, July 20th, 2006, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieMame
I think that's where boards like this do us a great service. If a place gets mostly good reviews and we find it poor, we will usually give it a second shot.

Let's all feel free to say how good/bad the service, the food, the atmosphere was when we visited. And let's not jump on each other because if we do then folks won't feel free to post their experiences.

And that would be a bad thing.
Well said, Auntie!

Re Tulip: I find it more delightful outdoors (though indoors you are closer to the bar )

Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, July 20th, 2006, 07:31 PM

Now you've all got me feeling bad about my post. I was just making a point that below standard service is something that no one should have to accept when paying for a meal. I have decided to give Tulip another shot, because everyone and everything deserves a second chance.

Thanks for reminding me of that.

And I'm sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused.

Thank you very much,
Old Thursday, July 20th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Administrator

john, actually you taught us something. you spoke up. we responded. we got a little heated but we did what needed to be done. we contacted the restaurant. (thank you pg) he responded well enough that we know we will give him a chance. i don't believe in 3 strikes in anything but baseball so this will be his one shot with murray and me and a group of 6 other people including one of our chat moderators. let's see how it goes.

Quote:
Now you've all got me feeling bad about my post. I was just making a point that below standard service is something that no one should have to accept when paying for a meal. I have decided to give Tulip another shot, because everyone and everything deserves a second chance.

Thanks for reminding me of that.

And I'm sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused.

Thank you very much,
Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, August 22nd, 2006, 11:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
I must tell you the story of our adventures in ‘fine’ dining at tulip. Let me start at the beginning.

On july 18, johnl wrote the above post. It opened a dialog that ended when I posted a note from the manager of the place. I accepted the challenge to be the guinea pig for our bb. Lord knows, any other kingdom and the queen has a food taster. Here the queen does the tasting. I had several emails back and forth with the manager. He started by asking me to bring my group of people to tulip at his expense. However, I have this thing about that. I expect my board members to be honest and how can I give an honest rating of a place if I am being paid by them to rate it? So, I refused the free stuff and told him that if he wanted us there I would accept only some sangria for the table. He agreed and mentioned that he would be there to meet us and tonight was the night.

Let the adventure begin…

We arrived with our group of 8. I noted that next to our names it said ‘vip guest’. Wow! What a start! We were seated in a nice breezy spot and ordered beverages. They all came and tasted as they should. Oops, I take that back…murray’s iced tea, which she had asked him if he wanted the sweetened in a can (gag) or the fresh stuff, came and it was lime juice and water. Supposedly it was herbal tea but I haven’t figured out the herb yet. Ok, no big deal. But… where is the sangria other than the glass full andrea ordered? Where is the manager?

Now we had our appetizers/soups. The French onion was very good and the aruban chicken soup was excellent. the mixed salads were really good too so we figured we were back on track. But… where is the stupid sangria? Where is the manager?

Then came the main courses. Three people had standard beef meals. They all said they were good. Murray and andrea had the chicken sate. Murray mentioned that the chicken was tough and chewy. Andrea agreed but said it tasted good. Murray mentioned that his complaint last year was tough chicken. The only way I know to really make tough chicken is to microwave it before you wave it over a grill. Murray rated his meal a 5 only because the sautéed potatoes were great. He had over half of his meal left and it wasn’t because he was full.

Marty had the mixed grill. He offered a piece of the sausage to Joanne and it is the only time in all of the 34 years we have known each other that I ever saw Joanne spit out food. Marty rated his meal a 6 only because the other meats were good and the sautéed potatoes were great.

Joanne and I had the red snapper in creole sauce. Ok, joanne’s was worse than mine because I had the sautéed potatoes. Joanne had the baked potato that was overcooked to the point that the interior and exterior would not separate. The only thing that can cause that is a reheat in a microwave. Now, comes our favorite. I must honestly admit I have never had red snapper that not only had to be cut with a knife but exhausted my jaw. Chewy isn’t a word I usually use to describe red snapper. Tough also isn’t a word I would use any other time. The only way fish can get that tough is if it is cooked in a microwave and then waved over a grill. My meal was maybe a 4 ½ and joanne’s was a 4.

But…where is the damned sangria? Where is the damned manager? Where in the hell is the waitress who never asked how the food was, never refilled water or asked if we wanted beverage refills? Oh, there she is…removing plates and not even asking murray if he wanted a doggie bag which he didn’t since he values his stomach, teeth and life.

We almost laughed when she asked if we wanted dessert. We had already been in this place 1 hour 40 minutes what could possibly make us want to stay longer.

Wait…we know what could keep us there; the sangria and the manager. Nope, neither ever was there. So it was time to get our checks and get out of there.

As we went to leave andrea asked the hostess what vip guest meant. She really had nothing to say except ‘weren’t you treated like vips? Uhm, no. how about like the relative you want to make sick so they go home and leave you in peace. My parting words were to tell the manager he could check our board for my report within 24 hours.

Although 4 of the people we were with had eaten there twice this trip and had really good times, they had to admit after taste tests that our food sucked. The service was barely mediocre. The manager was a no show and I am still waiting for my first taste of sangria.

If he offered me a free meal tomorrow with all the sangria I could drink, I would refuse after laughing in his face. I must say that was at the bottom of all the meals we have eaten in 18 trips to aruba.

that's my story. a tale of woe. now i am going to eat some chocolate chip cookies since i came home hungry.
Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, August 23rd, 2006, 12:09 AM
Administrator

an addendum to my food report. the place was empty when we got there so lack of service was not due to the waitstaff being overburdened serving other customers.

also, when we got to alhambra, we ran into some friends who had eaten there the night before. they are not particularly critical and said their meals were mediocre at best.
Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, August 23rd, 2006, 05:42 AM
Almost Aruban

BigPapa is on a distinguished road

Sounds like time for a ( Managment Overhaul ) to me.

Just like me and Thousands of more ( possible Guests ) will read this review Sherry. I am one to never put alot of stock in what someone might call..." a negative review " ...but the context of your review and the fact that the " so called Manager " knew you would be coming weighs heavy on my opinion not to even try this place.

As they would say....To little time and To many Good places to eat...

Dan & Sweet Georgene
Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, August 23rd, 2006, 07:25 AM
Almost Aruban

Sherry, Murray and all your guests-I am so very sorry to read about the "horrible" experience you all had at "Tulip". I know their service is not the greatest, and trying to get your bill after your meal is next to impossible, but I for one was happy with my meals there on all visits. I am certainly very surprised to hear that the manager, knowing you would be at his establishment for a "review" was a no show, doesn't make any sense to me. I am sure he won't be a happy camper when he reads your posts, but, he deserves to read the truth.
Share with Facebook