Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Timeshare Owners' Corner > Divi Phoenix Resort

Divi Phoenix Resort This Forum is for Divi Phoenix Resort Owners to post/exchange information about their resort. To list PRIVATE rentals,please click here. To list PRIVATE sales, please click here.

Old Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009, 08:47 PM

Rich216 is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Construction Update

Hi Everyone,

We own week 52 and also week 12. With our week
12 unit not being completed ( until the day we leave) they had offered
us another comparable unit to stay there.

Our family is traveling with toddler children (and thanks so much to everyone for the heads up/ re negative posts)
we declined to stay there with construction still goin' on re/ all the issues especially safety concerns......and so they've agreed to accommodate our stay at the Golf Villas,(no credit/maintenance fee) We've waited almost three years for this project to be completed and enjoy. Corporate says the pool/restaurant should be ready by April 1st. We'll definitely take the time to go there to see first hand.... what's goin' on re/ the delays, and take updated photos etc.

One post/issue that's upsetting is the beach in the new section full of rocks and seaweed..dirty, that was a major concern of ours prior to purchase and the sales represenative assured us that it would be extended and cleaned of the rocks.......last we saw it 2 years ago, not swimmable! Hopefully corporate has future plans to resolve it.

I'm certain next year ...it will be beautiful, but from the posted photos
I've seen....appears that the buildings/complex overall.....is crowded.
And the one building closest to the beach would appear to block the sun.

Thanks again for all your info regarding construction.....
Additional updated photos should give a better prospective of things...I'll post them when I return. "Don't Worry
Be Happy"..... Love Aruba!

Last edited by Rich216; Tuesday, March 3rd, 2009 at 10:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, March 4th, 2009, 10:26 PM

tombo4357 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Construction Update

I am not going until May 30th. Originally they were going to have the new pool and restaurant open by january 1st. Then it was going to be open by the end of January. Now it is April 1st. That is April fools day, so maybe they are fooling us and going to open on April 2nd lol. I have no faith in their timetables anymore, but I hope the new pool and restaurant are open by the end of May. I also hope the owners keep the pressure on Divi to make them widen the beach and swimable area and clean up rocks and seaweed on the beach in front of the new buildings. If they are going to increase the number of units at the resort, they should increase the size of useable beach too.

I look forward to your pictures and updates and I will keep my figers crossed that they are through before I arrive.

Thanks,

Tom
Old Friday, March 6th, 2009, 11:41 PM

We definitely want to take the time and visit there to get a visual update/opinion for ourselves and will take the photos. I think you'll
be ok re/ your time frame, will let you know we we get back.
Old Tuesday, March 10th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Aruba Expert

PhoenixGirl is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Construction Update

Thanks for the latest information about the Phoenix new section. We are really looking forward to your photos and the update.
Old Tuesday, March 10th, 2009, 07:46 PM

pkludt is on a distinguished road

Greetings! We just returned from Aruba, staying one week at the Marriott Surf Club and then moving on to our penthouse unit in building A at the Phoenix for week #9.

We were very skeptical about the construction and staying there while it was going on but it all worked out very well. The new pool is complete and open for use. The tiling around it is pretty much done and they were completing the shrubbery. The kiddie pool, on the other hand, is at a sad state and not moving forward very quickly. We had a bird's eye view of the progress from our balcony and at the rate they were going, I am not sure when it will be done. I think it will help when they figure out what it is supposed to look like. Things were changing right before our eyes from day to day.

They have added a number of beach huts to the existing area and new areas in front of the new buildings. I did not swim at the new beach so I cannot comment on its swimmability. There will be competition for the beach huts, though, and it will be culture shock to long time Phoenix owners.

The noise was minimal. We were worried but quickly came to realize that they must only have 2 power saws and one jackhammer which explains why progress is so slow.

Our unit was beautiful but had serious electrical issues which were finally addressed at the end of the stay. We just tried not to use many switches in our upstairs area.

I think everything will be great when it is all done but I worry about the maintenance, if the condition of the tower is any indication. I have belonged to Disney Vacation Club for 10 years and their oldest units still look great. The Marriot is also well maintained.

I hope this helps.
Old Tuesday, March 10th, 2009, 10:29 PM

Hi! Thanks so much for the recent update. We're certain we made the right decision by requesting the Divi Golf Villas. It's really a big disappointment after waiting so long....but with 4 toddler grandkids
along, what we don't need is additional concerns of any construction!

We also have a Penthouse Building B, they have schedueled for full completion the day we are leaving, so we'll visit the latter part of the week to see what's goin' on, re/ 3 years and still waiting.....
(Corporate did advise the kidee pool/swim bar/restaurant would'nt
be open til 4/1) I'm sure it will be awesome next year...when all the
kinks are out.

I can let you know re/ Divi's maintenance at the golf villas, I believe we'll be in a section built 1-2 years ago
Glad you had a good time. Thanks again.....I'll post as well, when we return. AJ
Old Wednesday, March 11th, 2009, 09:50 AM

Boston135 is on a distinguished road

The following link to the builder's website shows photos throughout the time line of building of the new units. There are some that look fairly up to date because they show the pool completed and guests on the balcony of a couple of units. The link is: Divi Phoenix Aruba gallery.html.

If that link does not work go to How to build a house in Aruba, Aruba Construction and there will be link to the gallery at the bottom of the page.
Old Wednesday, March 11th, 2009, 09:56 AM

Thanks for the site/photos......much appreciated!
Old Friday, March 13th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Aruba Expert

I'm surprised that there has been little progress on the kiddie pool since it is two months since I've been there. At first they poured the concrete incorrectly and it sloped the wrong wayso in January, the first week I was there,they were jackhammering that whole pool out and the second week they were picking up the concrete pieces and hauling them off.

Then a security guard told us there were going to be fountains in that pool (in front of building A) and that the kiddie pool was to be over by the swim up bar! The shallow area over by the bar has steps going down into a deeper area by the swim up bar so that didn't sound quite right to me. that would be dangerous.

I agree that there seems to be no real plan as to what to do with that separate pool area. I doubt if they will finish it by the projected date of April 1st. Knowing Divi, they will just give a new projected date when April 1st comes around.

I really appreciate folks going down now giving the rest of us progress reports on the restaurant opening and the new bathrooms near the beach by the restaurant and of course, the kiddie pool.
Old Friday, March 13th, 2009, 10:16 AM

I will...we leave in a week...be back with the updates. Thanks.
Old Monday, March 16th, 2009, 06:32 PM

JohnL is on a distinguished road

The Kiddie Pool, if that's what it is, is too big. Make a small kiddie pool and then there will be more space for pool chairs. WHERE ARE ALL THE PEOPLE GOING TO GO when the place opens all buildings????

As far as the new beach, it's a mess. It remains to be seen what DIVI will do to make it right for people who spent tens of thousands to have a PURE BEACH experience.

I do hope it works out because I own 6 weeks (weeks 3 thru 8) in the new buildings. DIVI does do it right and management is well aware of the problems.
Old Monday, March 16th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Aruba Expert

I am wondering if they are aware of the problems (which they have to be), why aren't they doing something for the owners who are there now and those who will be going in the next few months? I can't see any solution to the lack of room for the chairs around the pool, and John, you are absolutely right that the kiddie pool is too big and a waste of space. The beach has to be dredged eventually. Why not now? It's very unfair to the people who are excited about their new resort and going there for the first time.
Old Monday, March 16th, 2009, 08:12 PM

You're correct re/ beach area....pool area....all seems crowded for space. Leaving Saturday/ Golf Villas.....will definitely make the time to evaluate the entire situation. we are disappointed re/ the beach issue 'cause we specifically asked Sales (three years ago) that obvious question before purchase and they assured us ...saying it would be dredged and made wider. Hope to get truthful on site answers as well.
Old Monday, March 16th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Aruba Expert

Please take lots of pictures!!!
Old Monday, March 16th, 2009, 09:33 PM

Without a doubt, I'll take lots of photos, hopefully they'll give a better
heads up prospective re/ update, progression and total overview for everyone.
Old Monday, March 16th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Aruba Expert

It is very hard to get on site answers to anything. I tried and tried and tried when I was there in January.

First of all the construction workers don't speak English. There is never a supervisor around. It would be incredible luck if one was there when you were there.

The front desk only spouts the company line: whatever they are told to tell people such as " it is expected to be finished by December 15th or January 30th or April 1st".
Old Monday, March 16th, 2009, 11:11 PM

Thanks for the reply I believe you,....doesn't sound too promising of my getting an onsite heads up!....I'll let you know, I was also thinking, it may be in all owners best interest re/(expired time of the essence) who deserve the answers to their questions by all in agreement sending a same format certified letter to CEO Edwin Schanfarber in NC Divi's corporate office (although I understand he's hardly there)....just a thought to possibly help resolve issues.
Old Tuesday, March 17th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Aruba Expert

In another thread I asked owners to send emails to comments@diviresorts.com questioning how the resort planned on handling the lack of chair space around the pool and the awful conditions on the beach. I don't know if anybody did that. I've sent several.

After I sent one in January asking when the beach would be expanded, I got a reply that it ALREADY had been expanded. I think they were referring to the sand they put over the dirt from the restaurant to the sidewalk. They stuck some palapas in it and called it the expanded beach. As for the name Pure Beach for the restaurant, surely that is some kind of a joke.
Old Tuesday, March 17th, 2009, 09:39 AM

Sounds disappointing to say the least! On a positive note, in regard to Divi management let's be optimistic (after delayed major construction completion) re/they'd address these concerns of major issues,as well as iron out all the 'new' kinks, hopefully by 2010? .... in retrospect, after this crunch of completion/ by their own observations/realizations of these concerns and issues, unfortunately, only after the fact...they could/would be resolved.
Old Thursday, April 2nd, 2009, 11:49 PM

Exclamation Re: Construction Updated

Back from Aruba 4/1/09.

Due to continued construction.....we pre-planned on staying at the Golf Villas, but it truly was a disappointment, in the corner unit we were given...it was so dark, no views.... just didn't feel like Aruba., so we decided to take our chances/alternative option of staying at the Phoenix Villas.... and it is as advertised "A View to Sea."...beautiful!
Doug Koon on site manager was very cooperative as well as Henry at the front desk.
He advised the beach will be made larger, he has tons of sand to be delivered, but with the construction out front (getting done)...it's on hold.

The pool/bar is open....but it still fills with the construction debree. My family agreed....the bar maid spares on the alcohol in the drinks, so ya need to let her know.
The Kidde pool (on hold)) Jacuzzi (reconfiguring structure) as well as the restaurant (interior) are not open. In my estimation the Restaurant will probably open first..may be done guestimate by June. I don't see the Kiddee pool ( needs jack hammering) and the Jacuzzi getting done in that time frame, as most all the construction workers are out front paving driveways and framing what I believe will be the sales office out front.
That is getting done. Unit constructions are still going on, I'd guess one third of the units still need to be completed in B & C.

The biggest issue ....having to use the only elevator in building A.... to get to B or C for this 'now' time frame. The most disappointing issue was learning that....given my own example ... my other unit 641; would have certainly lead the buyer (me) to assume that I was on the 6th floor......NO, incorrect! It's the 6th building which is A that is on the 4th floor, unbelievable! I haven't checked my contract as of yet.......but I know we truly believed we purchased a 6th floor unit. Three years prior there was never mention of buildings being numbered....... 6, 7, 8, 9,.......which are A,B,C,D It is my belief.......WE WERE ALL MISLEAD... Customer service /sales would NOT understand my issue....told me to call NC's legal office...and so I will.

Lots and lots of fine tuning in each individual unit needs to be done, after the rush to complete, hopefully the end result.... is next year this time it will be ready without all or any issues. All the combo single washer/dryer unit....
in Spanish! I emailed Doug heads up......to have English directions posted.

Our week 12 7th & 8th floor Penthouse unit was no where near completion, probably 4 more weeks, but....I was able to see a same unit completed after Saturday's check out. I was impressed by the overall square footage layout and balcony views,
There are no other 2 bedrooms left (week 12 time frame) in building B and the price jumps up 10,000, for same unit building C.
We feel the penthouse balconies are not so practical for our toddler grand kids...so we decided to sell, and have already purchased a different unit. Not looking for the profit...if any one is interested see our post...SELLING WEEK 12. We endured the on going construction...with 5 toddler grandkids, and still had a great time in beautiful Aruba!
I am having some difficulty posting pictures...anyone interested please email me Jarvis216@aol.com
and I'll forward them.

AJ

Last edited by Rich216; Friday, April 3rd, 2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old Friday, April 3rd, 2009, 09:16 AM
Aruba Expert

Thanks so much for updating us!!! It seems incredible to me that with everything half finished that they would put workers on a new project of starting the sales office when they have a perfectly adequate sales office and model of a unit a few feet away. It's like the project manager has ADD and can't finish one thing before leaving it and starting another.

I'm really disappointed that the restaurant isn't open yet. When I was there in January, they were saying it would open "in a week or two".

What is the location of the jacuzzi? I didn't see any jets anywhere.

I'm really looking forward to your pictures! I'll be in Aruba May 2nd and hope there is some progress.
Old Friday, April 3rd, 2009, 09:21 AM
Aruba Expert

One more question...did you use the new pool or go over to the older section's pool & beach?

Were the chairs put out around the new pool? They were all stacked up and off to the side in January.
Old Friday, April 3rd, 2009, 10:00 AM

The location of the jacuzzi is as your walking to the beach ( down from building A) it's on the left side diagonally across from the pool bar.
The two or three workers had it/ wood framed out when we arrived,
then torn it down completely......same as the Kidde pool.

I do agree, the Kiddee pool is too large, by error, it's too high, so they have jack hammered out one third of the cement and need to continue...but that is on hold (I am assuming for the noise)
They worked on it one day while we were there.

We were at both pools with the kids.....but primarily the new one. All the chairs were placed out around the pool for use, somewhat narrow for passing through, but OK.

I met an owner who purchased weeks 1-12, building A, was there the entire time, and said he endured through the construction progression.

I'm hoping to figure out how to get some pictures onto this site.
Old Friday, April 3rd, 2009, 10:54 AM

First of all thank you for the update. I have purchased a 2 bedroom penthouse unit on the 7th & 8th floor in building "A" and what I believe was a 6th floor unit in building "A" directly below the Penthouse. I bought 3 years ago so I will have to go back and review my contract. At the time I bought there was absolutely no mention of referring to the new buildings in a numerical fashion. I was told I bought in Building "A". I would be very interested in hearing if the corporate offices give you any satisfaction regarding moving you to the 6th floor. This is my first purchase with Divi. Is the constant missing of deadlines and lack of responsiveness what we can look forward to during our period of ownership? I would appreciate hearing from some folks who have owned with Divi in the past.
Old Friday, April 3rd, 2009, 11:19 AM

Three years ago, that is exactly what we did, with exception of ours.... buidling B. Purchasing 7th & 8th...and also 6th. They never had reference numbers 6,7,8,9.... it was A,B,C,D,,,,,and the unit number.
So it's assumed the first number would be the floor! NOW, by their own summation....the first number is the buidling and the second number is the floor. We met another couple on the beach who had the same exact issue! I need to read my contract first, and if I am correct.....I will certainly contact the CEO, CFO, and on- site sales instructed me to contact the leagal department, ...it's just the principal of the matter, that this could be a misrepresentation matter to all.....with exception of the 7th-8 included floor units. Your second number would have to be 6 to be on the 6th floor......

Last edited by Rich216; Friday, April 3rd, 2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old Friday, April 3rd, 2009, 12:03 PM
Aruba Expert

How are the buildings numbered 6, 7, 8 etc. if there are only four buildings?

I'm not following this.
Old Friday, April 3rd, 2009, 12:19 PM

Building A is 6, Building B is 7 Building C is 8 and Building D is 9 then the floor is the second number followed by the next one or two number representing the room EXAMPLE 641 is the A building 4th floor first room on the left side of building.......ridiculous!
Old Friday, April 3rd, 2009, 12:29 PM
Aruba Expert

This is really beyond ridiculous. Where are buildings 1 through 5?
Old Friday, April 3rd, 2009, 12:34 PM

There are no buildings one through five....they just correlated 6, 7, 8, 9...for their intended purposes to A,B,C,D,...I really believe it's a misrepresentation, we had no knowledge of this info when we purchased. I'll make a note to call corporate on Monday and let you know what they say. It is so confusing isn't it?

Havin' difficulty posting pic's....Email me at Jarvis216@aol.com and I'll forward you some.
Old Friday, April 3rd, 2009, 03:16 PM

I just checked my unit numbers and they correlate with Building A which is what I bought and they also match the 7th floor for the penthouse and the 6th floor for the one bedroom. I will say however that the only way the buildings were referenced in October 2006 when I bought was by letters A, B, C & D.
Old Friday, April 3rd, 2009, 03:24 PM

Ok...good, So your building A 6th flooor unit would have to be numbered 66.....
Old Friday, April 3rd, 2009, 11:35 PM

tombo4357 is on a distinguished road

So basically no one has a clue when the construction will end or when the restaurant will open. I had figured that by the end of May/ early June when I arrive that the whole resort will be open and and I could dine in the restaurant. Please keep the updates coming as depressing as they are. At least the new pool will be open unless they drain it and start the jackhammers to reconfigure it like they are doing with the kiddie pool.
Old Friday, April 3rd, 2009, 11:55 PM

Sorry, I didn't go inside the Restaurant to see the actual progression, just seemed slow....they were working there, but not a lot of workers. I have pool photos that I had difficulty posting to this site.... please email me at Jarvis216@aol.com and I'll send them to you or anyone else interested.
Old Saturday, April 4th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Aruba Expert

Not only did they have to jackhammer out the kiddie pool and try to figure out what to do with that mess, but now it seems like they didn't have much of a plan for the jacuzzi because they tore down the framing and started that over again! What design and construction company won the low bid on this project???

I'm sure it will all work out eventually, but trip after trip I always think this time, THIS time it will be done, and it never is.

We also own at the Links and I remember it seemed to take forever to finish the clubhouse. Every trip I'd watch them working on it from the infinity pool. Finally it opened and we now we love Mulligan's and Windows on Aruba. Good things come to those who wait.
Old Thursday, April 16th, 2009, 11:45 AM

danslizy is on a distinguished road

Just got back on April 4th..... I own in the tower and we were ugraded to 650 (which is building A 5th floor?) It was absolutely beautiful. It had both the view of the ocean and also of downtown because it was a corner unit. There is a washer/dryer unit in the room but we could not get it to work. Directions are in spanish and it washes and drys in the same drum?? The clothes never dried. We gave up in the end. Too many buttons on the machine!!!
The pool was complete and the bar was open. There was debris in the pool (styrofoam mostly) but it didn't bother us at all. We did see them cleaning it every morning. Happy hour is daily from 3-5 and the drinks are well made and extremely resonable. Jorgie, Sandra and Lito worked hard and were very nice!
There was a lot of work still going on in the other buildings, I don't think building D was open at all. We did not find in distracting, we were just happy to be there!! They were working on the kiddie pool while we were there, not sure what happened but they were digging it back up. The restaurant was not open, but they thought it may open week of 4/8.
Overall the new units and pool are a beautiful addition, not sure how busy it will be when all are occupied. I was told they've only sold 20% so far.
I was also told all the bedding/curtains and furniture were being replaced in the tower and that it was almost completed.
Hope this post helps.
Liz in MA
view from 650