Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Timeshare Owners' Corner > Divi Phoenix Resort

Divi Phoenix Resort This Forum is for Divi Phoenix Resort Owners to post/exchange information about their resort. To list PRIVATE rentals,please click here. To list PRIVATE sales, please click here.

Old Monday, February 13th, 2006, 08:59 PM

Sully56 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up New Owners Page

Thanks to the Visit Aruba Folks for giving us owners at the Phoenix our own page. With the new buildings going up and all the new renovations I'm sure we will use this site often to keep each other informed on all that's going on down in Paradise. I'm not there for a few more weeks yet but will post an update as soon as possible.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Sunday, February 19th, 2006, 08:14 PM

mzmac is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Owners Page

Hey Sully... we own the studio 1003 for weeks 4 and 5. As for the construction, they have torn down the old towel building and by the time we left, they had put in the cement pad attached to the side of the villas for the temporary sales office. They cleared out that whole section where they had the little growing place for the palm trees. They put up a big picture of what it's going to look like. All the units will have washers and dryers, tubs and seperate showers and dish washers. The prices will reflect that. Right now, pre construction on a studio is $17,500. Of course, you get a discount if you already own. But if you want to upgrade and pay the difference for a new place, you have to also buy a week for every week you upgrade. I don't think it'll be done in 2007 like they said cuz it took them 5 days to tear down that one building!
Old Wednesday, March 22nd, 2006, 03:48 PM

linda b is on a distinguished road

Hi, We own week 5 (unit 803) and week 52 (1103). We love the small town flavor of the Phoenix and hope the addition of this new addition doesn't hurt that. We see the same pople every year and like that. The beach is never packed and usually doesn't have that one person who gets up at 5 AM to take all the palapas. Do not look forward to that coming.
Old Monday, May 15th, 2006, 03:51 PM

Casey is on a distinguished road

Hello, Casey again. To put your mind at ease, the Phoenix will be expanding the beach significantly to accommodate the additional suites we are building, which will involve trucking in tons of powder white sand, and adding more palapas and palm trees. With the expansion of the beach, we forsee there being plenty of room for all, so your experiences at the Phoenix should remain as fabulous as ever!
Old Wednesday, June 7th, 2006, 12:22 PM

adewolf is on a distinguished road

[quote To put your mind at ease, the Phoenix will be expanding the beach significantly to accommodate the additional suites we are building, which will involve trucking in tons of powder white sand, and adding more palapas and palm trees. With the expansion of the beach, we forsee there being plenty of room for all, so your experiences at the Phoenix should remain as fabulous as ever!
[/quote]

This is good to hear. After 2 years in a row at the Tamarijn, we bought week 36 at the Phoenix and one of the things we love is the relatively quiet beach. We just used our Divi bonus week at the Divi Flamingo in Bonaire and, while the water was wonderful, we can't wait to get back to the "happy" island in September.

Anson
Mi stima Aruba
Old Thursday, September 28th, 2006, 06:38 PM

Sully56 is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: New Owners Page

I sure hope they do not touch the jetty's on the beach. I catch snook off the jetty just about every day during my two week stay. Great to share with friends and other guest.
Old Thursday, September 28th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

according to management, both of them will remain in place which certainly makes everyone happy including the many fish that now call them their home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully56 View Post
I sure hope they do not touch the jetty's on the beach. I catch snook off the jetty just about every day during my two week stay. Great to share with friends and other guest.
Old Sunday, October 1st, 2006, 10:42 AM

Has anyone been recently? We own weeks 4 and 5 so it's been a while. When we were there they were concentrating on putting up the temporary sales office. If anyone has pix of the construction, that would be GREAT!
Old Sunday, October 1st, 2006, 11:35 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

as of mid august, there was nothing but a big mound of earth to take a picture of. the sales office was up but not operating. progress was really really slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzmac View Post
Has anyone been recently? We own weeks 4 and 5 so it's been a while. When we were there they were concentrating on putting up the temporary sales office. If anyone has pix of the construction, that would be GREAT!
Old Sunday, October 22nd, 2006, 12:41 PM
Aruba Expert

PhoenixGirl is on a distinguished road

It's October 22, 2006. I just got back yesterday and want to mention that the construction seems to be moving along at a snail's pace. It was very noisy this past week with the breaking up the concrete from the previous tower's slab (there was originally a second tower that was taken down quite a while ago and remnants of that slab are being broken up and hauled away).

The steel frame of the furthest building away from the water (back towards the street) is being erected. They are selling units in that building only and later as more buildings go up, you can move up for a unit closer to the beach. I'm sure there will be an upgrade charge for that. There are also different prices for the lower floors vs the higher floors.

The new sales office is up with a model of the bigger one bedroom, two bath unit. Very impressive. Gorgeous bathrooms with glass and tile showers plus a whirlpool tub in the master. Flat screen TV's in the living area and the bedroom. Washer, dryer and dishwasher. Granite countertops. Nice decor with turqoise color accents.

The pricing is somewhat weird with the studio costing just $250 less than the smaller one bedroom. Who would buy the studio when they could have a separate bedroom for a few hundred dollars more? There are two different one bedroom units, one a little smaller than the other. There will be three elevators.

You can buy one week for the full price or get a full credit for turning in your old unit for a first week in the new section, but then you have to buy a full price second week. It'll be years before they are up and running with the new pool, beach, restaurant, etc. They couldn't even tell me if the pool & grill would be ready when the new owners get to move into the first finished building. they are doing it in parts one building at a time. Can you imagine the noise and construction going on with the remaining buildings if you have a unit in the first finished building?
Old Sunday, October 22nd, 2006, 01:57 PM
Aruba Expert

droykelly is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the update. I can't wait to get there to see what's going on! I'd love the washer & dryer, but we own two weeks in the tower and can't do any more than that, so I guess I'll continue to carry my dirty clothes home.

Since the existing units would sell for a lower price, you'd think letting current owners upgrade would work well. I could trade up for a reasonable amount & they could sell my unit to first timers at a more reasonable price than I imagine the new ones are going for. To me it would be a win, win, but I don't work in real estate or marketing, so what I think doesn't really matter!

I will not sit on the porch and watch life go by without participating!
Old Sunday, October 22nd, 2006, 06:45 PM

I asked about trading my 2 weeks in a tower studio for one week in a new one bedroom and I was told that it wasn't possible. I guess they figured that all the old owners would want to upgrade so to make more money, you have to buy another week. It didn't make sense to me that they wouldn't want two weeks for one. That's okay cuz this past January we checked out the Marriott and bought a week there in a two bedroom which can be divided into a studio one week and a 1 bedroom the second. If they had tried to work with me, I might have bought at the Phoenix again. It's nice to have both places now.
Old Sunday, October 22nd, 2006, 08:25 PM
Aruba Expert

It's always amazed me that they're so inflexible with their pricing. It seems like the other timeshares are willing to negotiate, but not Phoenix. No matter, I'm happy with what I've got & I'm not looking to upgrade. I like my tower unit.................. even with the tiny elevators that are always being serviced!

Old Sunday, October 22nd, 2006, 09:20 PM

I know what you mean. We bought into the Phoenix before it was the Phoenix. Actually, our room on the 10th floor was the model. So, we have been there through it all. I love that it is at the end of the beach and so nice and private feeling. Like you, I wish that they would be more flexible. I would love to continue staying there but need the bigger room so from now on we will be renting out our 2 weeks at the Phoenix and then staying at the Marriott. We'll have to settle with visiting our friends on our daily beach walk.
Old Monday, October 23rd, 2006, 04:06 PM
Aruba Expert

Smile Re: New Owners Page

I've been selling real estate for thirty years and cannot make any sense out of the Phoenix's pricing of the new units and forcing us to buy a second week after trading up the first week. They'd have sold a lot more units if they'd just do a straight trade up. When I upgraded from a studio on a lower floor in the tower to a one bedroom on the top floor, it was treated as an upgrade and I paid the difference. They didn't make me buy another week!

Last week they started the exterior painting of the villa units around the pool. It looks terrific and now the color of the tower and the villas will be the same. The villas were looking shabby and in need of pressure washing and painting and now they look clean and much better.

The pool deck is being resurfaced with flagstone. It looks very nice. the ground floor villas can only be accessed from the hallway. It's moving along pretty rapidly, but they rope off sections at a time where you can't walk.

The renovation of the tower bathrooms is beginning on the 4th floor and going up.

I am glad to see that the pool villas and the current tower won't be neglected now that they have the new buildings going up.
Old Tuesday, October 24th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Aruba Expert

I know what you mean. We originally bought two weeks in a studio (preconstruction). In 2000 we upgraded to a 1 bedroom and in 2004 we changed from 41 & 42 to 45 & 46. They made plenty of $$$$$ from each of those transactions.

They never sold all of the existing units and rent them like a hotel (even though they said that was only temporary) why do they think doubling the size of the place is a good idea?

I'm glad they're redoing the bathrooms, there's a definite need there. I hope the next time they replace the furniture they get something other than wicker. It looks nice, but it's very rough on bare arms & legs!

Old Thursday, July 19th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Aruba Expert

I Love Aruba Re: New Owners Page

It's nearing the end of July now, and I'm sure we would all love an update on the progress of updating all the bathrooms and furniture in both the tower and the original villas. This is the time of year management says they will make the most progress because all upgrading will stop abuptly during high season again as it did last year. Please report whatever you find out if you are going shortly or are just returning. I'm sure everybody is waiting for updated news.
Old Thursday, July 19th, 2007, 07:40 PM

dizzdee is on a distinguished road

I knew about the upgrading of the bathrooms but are they putting in new furniture in the tower again? Our room was already changed from the white to the dark wood and we got a new flat screen tv last year. Our studio is on the 10th floor of the tower.
Old Friday, July 20th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Aruba Expert

I don't think they're doing furniture again just yet. When they do, I'd like it not to be as scratchy!

I saw a unit last year (November) with the new bathroom and it was very nice. It was on a low floor in the tower. I'd really like to know how far along they are now.