Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Timeshare Owners' Corner > Divi Phoenix Resort

Divi Phoenix Resort This Forum is for Divi Phoenix Resort Owners to post/exchange information about their resort. To list PRIVATE rentals,please click here. To list PRIVATE sales, please click here.

Old Tuesday, February 16th, 2010, 02:31 PM

2arubawego is on a distinguished road
Default Penthouse units

If anyone owns a Penthouse unit in the new Towers (Blds A-D) and has just returned in the last few weeks...please contact me. We had an issue with our unit and needed to be moved to another unit and therefore we wish to find out if others have experienced the same problem/issues.
We love Aruba and bought 1 unit 2 yrs ago and a 2nd last year. This was our first year staying for the two weeks in both our purchased units. The 1st week was great BUT the 2nd week was when we had problems.
Look forward to talking with other owners!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, February 16th, 2010, 05:34 PM

Pappy Mentos is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Penthouse units

We own a 2 bedroom penthouse, but haven't been to the Phoenix since last summer. We didn't get to stay in our unit, but had no problems in the unit they placed us in, which was in Bldg. A.
Old Wednesday, February 17th, 2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Mentos View Post
We own a 2 bedroom penthouse, but haven't been to the Phoenix since last summer. We didn't get to stay in our unit, but had no problems in the unit they placed us in, which was in Bldg. A.
Same thing for us last year. Everything was okay at that time other then bugs that they were still working out.
Our unit this year has a severe musty/mold issue. The smell was so bad that we had to be moved. My husband sleeps with a breathing device and we can not stay in this type of enviroment.
Good luck to you when you return. The other unit they moved us to has problems as well but not as severe.
What unit do you own?
Old Wednesday, February 17th, 2010, 03:04 PM

We didn't notice a musty/mold odor in Bldg. A, but we did notice some condensation dripping from the air conditioning vents in the kitchen and bath. Oddly enough, I noticed the situation improved if you closed the glass door which separates the elevator lobby area from the hall to the units, as that keeps the hall area cooler with less humidity. However, it seemed housekeeping kept leaving the door open so they could get the carts through more easily.

Having stayed in other resorts in Aruba, this odor is a problem found in other resorts as well. During one of our first stays, we were appalled to find that the air conditioning system had shut down at our resort, and it was not only uncomfortably warm in the unit, but there was a very strong musty odor. The resort added air purifiers to all of the units which has corrected the problem.
Old Sunday, March 7th, 2010, 10:40 AM

JohnL is on a distinguished road

We had many problems in our penthouse unit in Building A for weeks 3 & 4. There were many small issues and a few big ones. Attention to detail was definitely lacking in the construction finish work. The GM told my wife and I that DIVI gets people in as fast as possible without regard to luxurious conditions. In other words, as long as the place is livable it's OK. I don't know about you but I paid for a very livable luxury unit where everything works and closets are available. There was not even a closet in the guest bedroom. And the handrail at the top of the spiral staircase was held onto the hallway railing on the 2nd floor with colored electrical wires, like you would tie something up- unbelievable. The washer dryer was a NIGHTMARE! Once they finally got it to work, they did not hook the drain hose to the pipe drain in the wall. So, we had a flood in our unit. They had the maid respond with a few towels.. they really needed a small sump pump. Since we are outside people, we overlooked many issues, which is probably what they are counting on. However, the more I hear about problems, the more pissed off I get at the amount of money I spent to have to deal with these issues. I realize that things are not going to always be perfect and I don't expect perfection, but what I do want is a luxury unit with few maintenance issues since these are BRAND NEW!

I will complain to management! And demand that something be done asap. This is not the RIU but I'm beginning to think management is similar. BTW, I hear Doug Kuhn was fired last week. I'd like to know why.

John Lajoie, Owner, DIVI Phoenix My email is jlajoie@privateinvestigator.com if you want to reach me privately.
Old Monday, March 8th, 2010, 10:31 AM

Sorry to hear about all of your problems, John. I tried to confirm your information on Doug Kuhn and was advised that he has returned to the US to explore other interests.

We were told as Building A was the first building constructed, there are a number of things missing that they have included in the other buildings such as soap dishes, towel bars etc. Management claimed that these items would be taken care of in the future. We had no problem with the washer/dryer, other than trying to figure out how to work it. We did notice many cosmetic imperfections, such as the decorative end pieces on the stair rail that kept falling off, the facing of a drawer that fell off, etc. All-in-all, the unit is still very impressive.

I understand what you are saying about what you expect from a luxury unit as I had the same feeling when we stayed at The Links. I remember commenting how I would never pay that much money for a unit when the amenities get overrun by guest from Divi AI and the other surrounding resorts. I think part of the problem at the Phoenix is the lack of owners of the new villas and the large number of RCI or Interval transfers who abuse the units. Hopefully that will change as more units are sold and are occupied by owners with a monetary interest in the facility.
Old Tuesday, March 9th, 2010, 12:06 PM

Angry Re: Penthouse units

I'm sorry to hear about your problems with bldg A. But I am glad to hear we are not the only ones expecting more then what we received. Our unit for wk 6 was very worn and had many water problems resulting in mold issues. Not to mention our unit is not even a year old. We sent a registered letter to EJ Schanfarber the CEO for Divi in Chapel Hill. We are waiting on a response as to what is going to be done.
We love it there but we can't live in a unit with live mold. The longer it is unatteneded to the worse it will become. After speaking with others at the pool there are alot of water problems in many units in all blgds.
We agree with you on the luxury deficiencies. I'm sure bldg A is still lacking the follow-up from the initial opening. We stayed in bldg B last year because our unit wasn't ready and that was a push for us to be that unit. It needed several adjustments/alterations with furnishings and therefore the lack of as well as simply needing follow-up maintenance. A punch list on every unit should be done and thoroughly gone through.
Divi better get it together and get these problems resolved.
Old Tuesday, March 9th, 2010, 11:06 PM
Aruba Expert

droykelly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Mentos View Post
Sorry to hear about all of your problems, John. I tried to confirm your information on Doug Kuhn and was advised that he has returned to the US to explore other interests.

We were told as Building A was the first building constructed, there are a number of things missing that they have included in the other buildings such as soap dishes, towel bars etc. Management claimed that these items would be taken care of in the future. We had no problem with the washer/dryer, other than trying to figure out how to work it. We did notice many cosmetic imperfections, such as the decorative end pieces on the stair rail that kept falling off, the facing of a drawer that fell off, etc. All-in-all, the unit is still very impressive.

I understand what you are saying about what you expect from a luxury unit as I had the same feeling when we stayed at The Links. I remember commenting how I would never pay that much money for a unit when the amenities get overrun by guest from Divi AI and the other surrounding resorts. I think part of the problem at the Phoenix is the lack of owners of the new villas and the large number of RCI or Interval transfers who abuse the units. Hopefully that will change as more units are sold and are occupied by owners with a monetary interest in the facility.
This is a reasonable thought however, I strongly recommend you don't hold your breath waiting for more owners and fewer guests.

The first year the Tower was opened we were told Divi would only be renting units like a hotel until all the units were sold. I don't remember how many years ago that was, but I do know they are still renting to anyone willing to pay the price. In fact, I know people who have payed less to rent than I've payed in fees & taxes!

We love Aruba & Phoenix, but it works only because we're willing to go with the flow. We enjoy what's good & try to ignore what we can't control.

I will not sit on the porch and watch life go by without participating!