Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba In Words > Aruba Tales > Charles' Stories

Charles' Stories Stories by Charles Croes, true Aruban :)

Old Tuesday, August 23rd, 2011, 10:38 AM
Aruba Expert

charlescroes is on a distinguished road
Default Constantly counting

I write this for the many people that keep returning and calling Aruba a special place. Thank you for that.

I counted my year, then months and as they dwindled down I counted the weeks. Now it is but days and I am in a haze of worry for having prepared well to leave this behind and wondering if I will be able to soak in all that I have anticipated, enough so to bring it back and set me on another cycle, similar to the last.
I remember this feeling well when a child and I counted till Friday. Then I started counting the days to Sunday and the park where we would talk. I remember what it is to have pure anticipation - the vows, the child, the birth and so many other glorious moments. All of them keeping me on watch and at bay and saying softly – “Wait – the best is yet to come” – and it did.
Then, by happenstance, I found this place. A place where I walk with body and float with soul. A place that calls to me and says “never-you-mind-the-others, this is where your thoughts reside”. It says to me “ I am only soil afloat in oceans, but you cannot be what you are from where you come from if you do not taste of me”. This place is not filled with green forests but instead hosts harsh cacti. Not all shores are white on turquoise – some are black on blue. This place speaks multiple languages with few that are forked. This place overwhelms the movies I waited for on Saturday and pales the shy girl I talked to on Sundays in the park. This place does not compare with the birth of my child – no – it is different, this place is the birth of me – day after day after day (when there) I am born once again.
I have walked a shore and seen her beauty for the very first time and the splendor of this is that I have had this “first time” day after day. It is not that I feel younger there – no. It is not that I feel prettier to see when there – no. It is not that I feel stronger or healthier or better – no. It is far better than that. It is that I feel.
And knowing that senses will be pinched a bit and that I will lull into a place that is quite simply good – I find myself reflecting on the years I have counted, then months and as they dwindled down I counted the weeks. Now it is but days and I am in a haze of worry for having prepared well to leave this behind and wondering if I will be able to soak in all that I have anticipated, enough so to bring it back and set me on another cycle, similar to the last.
Aruba has me constantly counting.

be well
charles
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, August 23rd, 2011, 07:31 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Constantly counting

I love it, and I love Aruba!!
Old Wednesday, August 24th, 2011, 05:52 AM
Almost Aruban

pgsoder is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Constantly counting

Aruba also has me "constantly counting" until the next time I get to go back and love it all over again.
Old Friday, August 26th, 2011, 04:13 PM

islanddog is on a distinguished road

oh charles. i can't imagine saying it any more eloquent that what you have written.
'to feel" says so much. every day when i am there, it is such a wonder to open my eyes and go to the balcony and look out, listen, smell and...... coffee in hand, head quietly and contently for the beach for an hour or so to collect broken shells, chunks of anything. most of the stuff the majority of folks would not give a second look. but the broken shell was once whole, so the little piece that i pick up because it caught my eye, is pretty to me. and for whatever inane reason, i have to splash the water on my face and taste the sea. and it is confirmation that i am in my happy place. i too count the months and days like so many people who come here. it seems you have a true pure feel for this place, and yourself. good for you!!!
Old Friday, August 26th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Aruba Expert

charlescroes is on a distinguished road

Thanks "Dog". That is a nice compliment.
c
Old Friday, August 26th, 2011, 04:48 PM

islanddog is on a distinguished road

i love reading your stuff. this is a special year for us. we were there in jan, april, and we will be back in october.

we have a second crew of family which will inhabit a second unit at the surf club, while we are there. since we have no grandchildren, we wait, the little great nephews and neices are a close facsimile for us. there are vows to be renewed, and we are looking forward to that for our married neice and nephew.

we are also bringing first time visitors, who are staying with us. i hope get to "feel" during their time there. all the best.
Old Saturday, August 27th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Almost Aruban

ruba4ever is on a distinguished road

Charles...so wonderfully put. I too am counting now....3 weeks...just 21 days....and I will be home. The year always seems so long until we return...but somehow we get through it and begin our countdown trek...I have started to prepare....I can't wait.
Many happy regards....
ruba