Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba In Words > Aruba Tales > Charles' Stories

Charles' Stories Stories by Charles Croes, true Aruban :)

Old Tuesday, December 28th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Aruba Expert

charlescroes is on a distinguished road
Default How to see Aruba twix 2010 and 2010

How to see aruba at midnight twix 2010 and 2011
This breaks out into different categories:

HATE FIREWORKS AND COULDN'T CARE LESS:
This group normally equates fireworks with the burning of money (not far from right) and hate the noise, smoke and all else attached. Further, this group includes "Lurkers" and "Voyeurs" that sneak out of their group peer pressure surroundings and run off to watch from a 'far-away-place'. Hey - somebody has to break the ranks! Also, it should be noted on a very serious note that some VETS from Viet Nam, are not enamored with firecrackers.

LOVE IT BUT CAN DO WITHOUT THE SMOKE AND CROWDS
Highly recommended to position yourself somewhere like (Choice #1) the Renaissance pool balcony or your hotel or resort window (check with management to see where they will be shooting them off) so that can look out and see the celebrations and when finished duck back in and finish whatever you were doing.

LOVE IT, WANNA BE INVOLVED AND READY TO ROCK AND ROLL
Once again, the number one #1 for sure spot is in front of the Renaissance Hotel. The crowds are huge. The PAGARAS are bigger than the crowds. Beer is ample as are soft drinks. The word for it would be BACANAL but the CARNAVAL parade has already laid claim to it so.... total CHAOS is as good as anything to describe the feeling at Noon on the last day of the year in front of the Renaissance. Lovely and fun CHAOS.

NON WANNABE THAT IS READY TO BUY AND LIGHT THEM OFF HIMSELF
My kind of folks for sure!! Go to anyone of the many firecracker trailers and buy a few dollars of firecrackers and when the moment arises, light up and toss out! Obviously you need to consider safety and good common sense but there is something about the smell of the fuse, the toss in the air and the reverberation in the ear. Good stuff for sure and really gives me a firm appreciation for the Chinese for having brought this all into practice.

THE NUT THAT WANTS TO SIT ON A ROCKET AND FLY TO THE MOON
Been done, they left a flag waving in windless dust, your family still loves you so don't cry when alone and book an airline.

ALL KIDDING ASIDE
Get a set of earplugs.

be well
charles
fastphonearuba.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, December 28th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: How to see Aruba twix 2010 and 2010

Charles... tell us about what you personally do New Year's Eve. Ya don't have to tell us everything, but do you have a tradition?
Old Tuesday, December 28th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Aruba Expert

roschone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to see Aruba twix 2010 and 2010

By the way, what category do you belong to?

Old Wednesday, December 29th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Aruba Expert

Rochone - I am definitely in the "LOVE IT, WANNA BE INVOLVED AND READY TO ROCK AND ROLL" The sound is deafening to many but I love it and having been brought up here, it narrows down the optional fields to "like it" or "no". I "like it". There is something sinful about that kind of money being burned and having it go out with a bang. The poor and the rich all pay the same amount for the fireworks and everyones cigarette lighter works the same. It is a leveled playing field and the game is nothing more than having fun. Funny thing is that when the big boys bring more firecrackers to the game, the sound is still shared by the poorest in the crowd. I like that whole concept a great deal.

ELAINE - amiga, and confidant- My celebration starts tomorrow when I normally shoot off with Junior to one of the many fireworks trailers and buy a bunch of fireworks. Then go home and put them in a box to be shot off on the new years midnight.

On the 31st I prep junior by making sure we have bunches of ear plugs and clean large towels. Big lunch at about 11 AM and then off to down town to hear the massive firework PAGARAS that META and some other local companies light off at exactly noon. After that there is a round of well wishing. We normally drive to the business people and companies that were our partners during the year and give our thanks. When that is finished, we head home and rest. At about 8 PM I try and get Junior well fed and and we throw bunches of boxed fireworks, large towels and blankets in the back of the car along with cokes and water bottles. At about 10:30pm I head over to the water tower of Alto Vista. That is the one next to the chapel. Once there we try to find a good spot to park and enjoy the night air.
At about 11PM the island starts to light up. It is a slow growing of lights everywhere and from that hight it is truly spectacular. at about 3 minutes to midnight, the rocket lights start to get higher and higher and the bombs get louder and louder.
At midnight everything turns into a shade of yellowish white and the skies just light up. Rockets go in all directions and the flowering bombs start to burst and leave their canopies of multicolored lights. Normally Junior sits on my shoulders during this part but this year he is just going to have to stand next to me. I believe that in my facebook page, there is a picture of Junior on my shoulders when he was little
It has been a moment for the two of us. He makes promises and I smile and thank him for making them, knowing they will not be kept and I could care less. Its' all about that specific moment. The next few moments we have held hands(something I hope he never grows to be embarrassed about) and then Junior disappears into the crowd of kids with his bag of fireworks.

All of this happens on the top of a hill called Alto Vista (lofty view)where we light bombs, can look down on a nearby chapel and look up at the skies - knowing the moment has come to an end and knowing that there are a numbered amount more to repeat this scene.

Rochone, thank you for reading my trite and for your compliments. Every one that writes should have his own private "Rochone". Thank you so much

Elaine, Thank you for having been a friend and for being botrh kind and severe in your comments , It is appreciated much more than I can pen.

Happy New Year.

be well
charles
Old Wednesday, December 29th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Charles, your words paint a picture of a magical night. Who better to spend it with than the person you love most in this world. As the clock ticks down, I'll be thinking of you and Junior. In the not too distant future, YOU'RE going to be on HIS shoulders.

On a personal level, friends should neither take one another for granted or easily. While perhaps not always agreeing with each other, and on occasion really getting p*i*s*s*e*d off at one another, at the end of the day, a true friend shields you from the stones that others throw. Enough said...

Happy New Year to you ... and may the New Year bring you good health, much happiness, and, may our friendship continue for many, many years to come.

Last edited by Elaine S; Wednesday, December 29th, 2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old Wednesday, December 29th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Aruba Expert

[QUOTE=Elaine S;............. a true friend shields you from the stones that others throw. Enough said...[/FONT]

A saying I use in my training seminars is the following:

When someone shoots bullets at the boss, don't tell him to duck, get out in front of them and solve the issue that made them be shot at the onset. In other words, take the bullet yourself.
Old Wednesday, December 29th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Let's not get carried away.. a stone I'd take - a bullet,

I don't think so!
lol

despwes mi amigu

[QUOTE=charlescroes;104331]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine S;............. a true friend shields you from the stones that others throw. Enough said...[/FONT

A saying I use in my training seminars is the following:

When someone shoots bullets at the boss, don't tell him to duck, get out in front of them and solve the issue that made them be shot at the onset. In other words, take the bullet yourself.
Old Thursday, December 30th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Aruba Expert

Charles, as far as the compliments go - you are welcome but I think I should be thanking you. I enjoy your stories and love how you can put it all out there. You're are not necessarily writing for our pleasure, or to get us to agree with you on everything, but you write from the soul. Not too many men who can share all those honest emotions.

I sure wish I could be there to share New Year's Eve with you and Junior. Not that I would want to intrude, but would love to experience Aruba on New Year's Eve the way you describe it. I am going to add that to my bucket list, with your permission of course lol. I think I am also of the "Wanna be there ready to rock 'n roll" group. But then, I suppose that comes as no surprise, huh?

Perhaps on my short bucket list, we can meet in person sometime.

Wishing you and yours a Happy New Year.

Ro

Last edited by roschone; Thursday, December 30th, 2010 at 11:06 AM. Reason: 'cause I'm a*n*a*l*
Old Thursday, December 30th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Aruba Expert

[QUOTE=Elaine S;104317]
a true friend shields you from the stones that others throw.

Elaine, I love that line.

Old Thursday, December 30th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Aruba Expert

Take out of the bucket list and let's get together when you come down. If you are not coming down in the near future, e-mail me your address and I can slet you know what my travelling looks like for
Hell man, you are my one true fan!!!!

About writing from the soul, I do it for a reason and have been doing it for that reason since I was about 14 yrs old. Some day I will be brave enough to talk about that.

be well
charles

[QUOTE=roschone;104349]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine S View Post
a true friend shields you from the stones that others throw.

Elaine, I love that line.
Old Friday, December 31st, 2010, 12:03 AM
Aruba Expert

We are coming to Aruba for 3 weeks in March. Maybe I can pm you specifics? And don't be so modest; I'm pretty sure you have many, many fans....