Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Timeshare & Vacation Properties > Timeshare Q&A

Timeshare Q&A General questions about timeshares.

Old Thursday, July 10th, 2008, 10:40 PM

kevd is on a distinguished road
Default Suggestions for timeshare rentals

Hello,
I'm new to this board. I'm planning a trip to Aruba with my family for Sat April 19 - Sat April 25 2009. There will be 6 of us: myself, my wife, two boys (ages 3 and 6) and the two grandmas.

We're looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom unit at a resort on a calm section of beach. Something in between "quiet" and "active"... things to do, excitement for the kids (other than just the beach) would be nice, and places to go somewhat close by would be a plus. My older son loves pools so we'd like a nice pool facility as well. We have not given too much consideration on cost yet but based on some adds we've seen we're thinking somewhere in the $1800 - $2000 range for the week.

We've done a little bit of research and some of the resorts that sparked our interest thus far are: The Marriott Ocean Club, Costa Linda and Playa Linda. Any thoughts or suggestions that would help us in our search would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Kevin
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Friday, July 11th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Suggestions for timeshare rentals

welcome kev!

of the three i would vote on costa linda if you want quiet with active waves on the ocean and playa linda or marriott if you like it busier with very calm seas. others i would look into are lacabana and casa del mar. both have spacious 2 bedroom units. lacabana caters more to children.

don't forget that costa linda is a friday to friday resort. although i love it and it is where i own, that might not suit your needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevd View Post
Hello,
I'm new to this board. I'm planning a trip to Aruba with my family for Sat April 19 - Sat April 25 2009. There will be 6 of us: myself, my wife, two boys (ages 3 and 6) and the two grandmas.

We're looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom unit at a resort on a calm section of beach. Something in between "quiet" and "active"... things to do, excitement for the kids (other than just the beach) would be nice, and places to go somewhat close by would be a plus. My older son loves pools so we'd like a nice pool facility as well. We have not given too much consideration on cost yet but based on some adds we've seen we're thinking somewhere in the $1800 - $2000 range for the week.

We've done a little bit of research and some of the resorts that sparked our interest thus far are: The Marriott Ocean Club, Costa Linda and Playa Linda. Any thoughts or suggestions that would help us in our search would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Kevin
Old Friday, July 11th, 2008, 09:40 AM

Sherry,
Thank you for your quick reply. This is very good information. From the small amount of research we've done we were actually leaning towrds the Marriott Ocean Club if it will fit within our budget. We will definitely check out Lacabana too!

I read somewhere that Palm Beach has a lot of sharp pebbles, coral and seaweed. I can't imagine that this would be much of a problem seeing as there are so many popular high rise hotels on this beach. But I just figured I'd try to get some feedback on that.

Thanks!
Old Friday, July 11th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Administrator

it's easy to explain this kev. it happens only at times. the waters are really very calm on palm beach most of the time with waves never reaching 1 foot. some days the waves barely seem to reach a few inches, lol. however, if there are storms passing north of the island the seas get rough and you never know what will come in toward the beach and onto the beach. on the beach the hotel staff really keeps up with cleaning seaweed or whatever washes in but sometimes the bottom is a bit sharp. the beaches themselves are a pleasure. i suppose it is like any beach in the world. weather conditions determine what's on the beach and bottom.

marriott is the most expensive property. if you can afford it, it is lovely. i personally think it is too crowded for me. i love the more open space of eagle beach. however, that is personal preference only.

whereever you stay along the beach will be perfect for you as long as you get the size accomodations you want. if what you want to do isn't available that day at your hotel or timeshare, it is an easy ride to find what you want. nothing on the island is far away.

Quote:
Sherry,
Thank you for your quick reply. This is very good information. From the small amount of research we've done we were actually leaning towrds the Marriott Ocean Club if it will fit within our budget. We will definitely check out Lacabana too!

I read somewhere that Palm Beach has a lot of sharp pebbles, coral and seaweed. I can't imagine that this would be much of a problem seeing as there are so many popular high rise hotels on this beach. But I just figured I'd try to get some feedback on that.

Thanks!
Old Friday, July 11th, 2008, 04:58 PM

Thank you for the clarifaction on the seaweed/coral thing. Makes sense.

My wife and I actually stayed at the Divi All Inclusive about 10 years ago (before kids) and absolutely loved it! We loved the resort and loved the beach (Eagle, I believe). My mother stayed at the Casa Del Mar a few times in the mid nineties and she also loved the beach. My mother IN-LAW who will also accompany us during our trip in April stayed at Casa Del Mar just last year and felt the beach was "too rough". Which surprised me because when we were at the Divi we did not feel it was too rough at all. Neither did my mom when she stayed at the Casa Del Mar. But, then again, that was 10 years ago.

So, since I have young kids and a mother in-law who likes to complain (lol) I figued I figured Palm Beach might be a better option for us for the "calmer seas". And I was thinking something like the Marriott might have more activity and non-beach alternatives which would be good for the kids.

But I am not writing off a resort on Eagle beach. We just started planning and have a lot of research yet to do so I will probably have more questions. Thank you again for your input.
Old Friday, July 18th, 2008, 06:26 AM

bhoffdhoff is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Suggestions for timeshare rentals

We own 1 week at Marriott Ocean Club and have been going there for aboout 8 years. We also own 1 week in Florida which we trade to get a second week. We have taken our second week at either Ocean Club or Surf Club. That being said, this year we ventured down to Mathews for breakfast. We fell in love with Eagle Beach. Next year, we have our 1 week booked at Ocean Club only because we own there and are waiting for a trade at Eagle Beach for the second week. We won't stay again at Surf Club. Don't get me wrong, the condos are gorgeous, but the beach sucks! They have people packed in there like sardines! It's comical to look down the beach. The people look almost like they're stacked on top of each other. The water IS calm, but I would rather have the beach calm. We are tempted to sell our unit at Ocean Club and buy 2 resales some where on Eagle Beach. Hope this info helps.

Bobbie
Old Friday, July 18th, 2008, 06:35 AM

Al Newcomb is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: Suggestions for timeshare rentals

Hi Kevd, we have timeshares at ABC,&CDM. Wk.16 is Saturday April 18-Saturday April 25,2009.You typed in April 19th as a Saturday.Have a great vacation,you will have a great time. Al & Paula.
Old Friday, July 18th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Administrator

bobbie, i always hesitate to express my strong dislike of the beach at marriott. i seem to be in the minority. the marriott property is beautiful until you get to the overcrowded sardine can beach. we were walking along their property a trip or two ago and could see the hooded chairs lined up in a row. we then went back to costa linda and had to yell across the beach to the next closest palapa. we don't pay for a palapa and go down to the beach daily at any time and find one. it may not be first row but who cares. i hear in high season that if you want first row you need to come out earlier but i have never heard of anyone lacking a palapa.

i don't know. aruba is the only place i actually lay out on the beach. i can't picture turning around in my chair and staring into the face of a stranger a foot or two away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoffdhoff View Post
We own 1 week at Marriott Ocean Club and have been going there for aboout 8 years. We also own 1 week in Florida which we trade to get a second week. We have taken our second week at either Ocean Club or Surf Club. That being said, this year we ventured down to Mathews for breakfast. We fell in love with Eagle Beach. Next year, we have our 1 week booked at Ocean Club only because we own there and are waiting for a trade at Eagle Beach for the second week. We won't stay again at Surf Club. Don't get me wrong, the condos are gorgeous, but the beach sucks! They have people packed in there like sardines! It's comical to look down the beach. The people look almost like they're stacked on top of each other. The water IS calm, but I would rather have the beach calm. We are tempted to sell our unit at Ocean Club and buy 2 resales some where on Eagle Beach. Hope this info helps.

Bobbie
Old Friday, July 18th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Aruba Expert

Dogwriter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
bobbie, i always hesitate to express my strong dislike of the beach at marriott.

i don't know. aruba is the only place i actually lay out on the beach. i can't picture turning around in my chair and staring into the face of a stranger a foot or two away.
We usually stay at the Divi and we really love the beach there and from Casa Del Mar north. We stayed at the Occidental once and really disliked the crowding. Tough to even have a private conversation. The area in front of the Marriots was even worse. We just purchased at CDM and are very eager to enjoy Eagle Beach next year. We just returned from an incredible trip to the Royal Playa del Carmen and even with all the glitz and amenities, we missed the beaches in Aruba.

"Vacation is what you make of it, what you take from it and what you leave behind."
Old Friday, July 18th, 2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
bobbie, i always hesitate to express my strong dislike of the beach at marriott. i seem to be in the minority. the marriott property is beautiful until you get to the overcrowded sardine can beach. we were walking along their property a trip or two ago and could see the hooded chairs lined up in a row. we then went back to costa linda and had to yell across the beach to the next closest palapa. we don't pay for a palapa and go down to the beach daily at any time and find one. it may not be first row but who cares. i hear in high season that if you want first row you need to come out earlier but i have never heard of anyone lacking a palapa.

Gee, We think alike! Things are much better at Ocean Club (IMHO) than at Surf Club. I never pay for a palapa and I don't (usually) get to the beach before 10:00. I always get a palapa. It may be in the last row, but I don't care. I think the main problem at the Surf Club is that the complex is just too large for the amount of beach space. Eagle Beach is fantastic and I hope we get our trade. Keep your fingers crossed.

Bobbie
Old Friday, July 18th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Administrator

i just wish you were trading to a different date when we would be there too.

Quote:
Gee, We think alike! Things are much better at Ocean Club (IMHO) than at Surf Club. I never pay for a palapa and I don't (usually) get to the beach before 10:00. I always get a palapa. It may be in the last row, but I don't care. I think the main problem at the Surf Club is that the complex is just too large for the amount of beach space. Eagle Beach is fantastic and I hope we get our trade. Keep your fingers crossed.

Bobbie
Old Friday, July 18th, 2008, 06:13 PM

Do you usually go the same weeks every year? Next year we are pretty much committed to the last week in Feb. and a week or two after that. Beyond that we are not committed to any specific weeks. We should make some plans.
Old Friday, July 18th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: Suggestions for timeshare rentals

Quote:
Do you usually go the same weeks every year? Next year we are pretty much committed to the last week in Feb. and a week or two after that. Beyond that we are not committed to any specific weeks. We should make some plans.
Bobbie! I'll be there the last week in February in '09, too. That's the 4th week of my month.
Old Friday, July 18th, 2008, 06:46 PM

Great! I can't wait to meet you, Elaine. We'll have to have some drinks together!
Old Friday, July 18th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Administrator

yes for august. that is our standard since our timeshare is week 33. but we are not sure if we will again take a spring trip. have to check it out and see how murray can get the time off again. if we do go it would be april or may.

Quote:
Old Saturday, July 19th, 2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
yes for august. that is our standard since our timeshare is week 33. but we are not sure if we will again take a spring trip. have to check it out and see how murray can get the time off again. if we do go it would be april or may.
What does Murray do? For some reason, I thought you both were retired. Some day we WILL meet up!
Old Saturday, July 19th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Aruba Expert

charlescroes is on a distinguished road

Hi Kev,
Let me say that you have touched a delicate topic. You will note that the responses will eventually move over to making value judgements on beach VS other amenities. It boils down to this.

In most responsible resort locations and with most responsible developers, there are standards and rules that apply and which need to be followed. These standards not only impact your vacation experience but, more importantly, they have a massive impact on the environment - and the environment has an effect on us all, even those of us just living here and not on vacation.

There is a standard and acceptable ratio between needed available "deck/beach" space and the unit/room counts as it refers to bodies in beds and not "keys". This particular formula also has to take the parking into effect.

Interesting is that parking will bring bodies that rent cars to the resort however with little space for these bodies to sun and relax, the beaches are overcrowded. It is quite easy to note where the responsibility lies in the eyes of the developert. Take a look at the amount of parking space in front of some resorts in ratio to the amount of beach that was left behind. When the parking is close to or surpasses the beach space, then irresponsible people did the planning and even more irresponsible people (locally) approved it. Actually the planning was probably done with the shareholder in mind and in fact is very responsibble to that segment. As a local, I resent signatures that caused this amount of overbuilding. That is history and what is left is what to do about it.

I was present at lengthy drawn out meetings for SUN develpment where persons such as Ray Maduro, Dan Oduber, Mito Martis actually argued endlessly over how to best protect the environment. It was an obsession and each looked for the best way to be in harmony with the Aruba envirnment. The same could be said about DIVI. Look at the massive amount of greenery they are comitted to maintain. It would certainly be more profitable to have rooms there. SEE WHERE I AM GOING? But that was then and this is now. For example, take a look at the massive amount of beach that was left in front of the Costa Linda. At Playa Linda, when it was realized that the beach was just not enough, additional space was alloted to the pool deck and to make sure that the people would use the deck, it was given a friendly environment. If you will look at most pool decks (not all) they are largely not used - thereby further crowding the beaches. This discussion could go on and on.

I am reminded of a gentleman that was lying on the beach at a huge timeshare (that I will not mention by name at this moment) and he was talking to me about a "Snippet" I wrote. All of a sudden he yelled out into the air (this is no BS) "Heyyy throw me two dogs and send the kid with the cokes!!!! How much you scalping me for??" I was shocked and asked him why he did that. His answer was the following:
"Charles, I have been coming to Aruba to get away from the coney Island beaches. Now I paid a fortune and here I am in one again. "
That summed it up for me.

Where to stay???
the choice is yours, however if it was up to me, I would look for a resort that gives you what you dreamed Aruba would be like. If you dream of beaches, then go for the Eagle beach area. If your dreams have "honky tonk" music in the background, there are those choices as well. If you are looking for STANDARD and ALWAYS the same DEPENDABLE, there is that as well. You read the feed back and you MAKE THE CHOICE.

Where I stay and what I recommend:
when I go on vacation, I visit a destination and not a resort. In the purest sense of the word, the resort is where I shower, shave and sleep. the destination is what I paid the money to go see. try looking at it from that angle.

Hey
enjoy your vacaton, (do not order hot dogs on the beach) and have a wonderful time

be well
charles

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks!
Kevin
Old Saturday, July 19th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Aruba Expert

[quote=sherry;80808]bobbie, i always hesitate to express my strong dislike of the beach at marriott. i seem to be in the minority. ...

NO YOU ARE NOT
be well
charles
Old Saturday, July 19th, 2008, 10:55 AM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
..... We are tempted to sell our unit at Ocean Club and buy 2 resales some where on Eagle Beach. Hope this info helps.
Bobbie
Bobby,
It would amaze you to know haw many people feel the exact same way. As a local I get plenty of feedback from visitors. Many - many in your exact position are not happy campers.

be well
charles
Old Saturday, July 19th, 2008, 11:16 AM

I can't believe how blind I was to the beauty of Eagle beach until we had that breakfast there this past spring. I was blind. Now I can see!
Old Saturday, July 19th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Administrator

sorry if i'm slow to answer. in atlantic city with my daughter for 2 nights.

we were both retired. for 2+ years and then murray went to work for the state as a school bus inspector. it is tough getting leave from the state.

Quote:
What does Murray do? For some reason, I thought you both were retired. Some day we WILL meet up!
Old Saturday, July 19th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Almost Aruban

kevin d is on a distinguished road

Charles - excellent comments as usual, with one glaring exception: I will not stand by while hot dogs get bashed!!

Eagle vs Palm debate is going on in every city in every country in the world. To each his/her own, just as it should be. That said - give me Eagle or give me an ulcer!