Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Timeshare Owners' Corner > Marriott Surf Club

Marriott Surf Club This Forum is for Marriott Surf Club Owners to post/exchange information about their resort. To list PRIVATE rentals,please click here. To list PRIVATE sales, please click here.

Old Tuesday, January 12th, 2010, 12:56 AM

iamromo is on a distinguished road
Default Need more info on chair tags & palapas

How exactly does the system work? If I want to spend part of the day at the pool and part of the day at the beach, how do you do it with the chair tags?

What is the current palapa program?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, January 12th, 2010, 08:57 AM

jawz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need more info on chair tags & palapas

Hello IAMROMO, The tags you pick up when you arrive and put them on your chairs. This will hold them for 2 hrs. If you do not come back, the security will remove them and you will have to go back and ask for more. As far as Palapas, I think you need to reserve 1 a day in advance and I dont know if they have the same 2 hr. rule. I can tell you , from what I've seen, most people come in from the Palapas in the afternoon. If you go out to the beach at 9:00 a.m and stay out there untill 2:00, it makes for a long day. Also there are always palapas further away from the water. The closer you are the harder they are to get. People also get up early and tag their chairs, I've seen people tagging by 7:30 a.m. and they generally sit in the same spot every day. I heard also that the Surf club is building a pool between themselves and the ocean club which will add another 100 plus chairs for the surf club.( I thinks this pool is exclusively for surf club) It won't be a lazy river but just a quiet pool area. I may be wrong on any of this, actually I'm sure it's not totaly accurate so if anyone wants to correct me, please do as I'm not an owner.
Regards
Old Tuesday, January 12th, 2010, 10:15 AM

Here is what I do not understand...are the tags only for the pool or can you have chairs at the pool and a palapa on the beach or not in both places?

What prompted the use of tags and wrist bands originated the first year the Surf Club opened. At the first owner's meeting all heck broke out. Some owners were ready to run the management out of town...if you were not one of the first to arrive for your stay, you could never get a palapa or a chair. In fact, I was one of the ones that suggested wrist bands and was shot down. Funny, a year or two later they started using them. Once the lazy river opened, people from non-Marriott properties were using it. You could tell by the different colored towels.

As the complex grew, it was impossible to find a chair anywhere and don't even think about a palapa. Fact is, Marriott over built the property and did not understand that Aruba is not like Orlando or any place in Florida. People come for the beach and the water activities because there isn't much to do off property. You can only go to the butterfly farm so many times...I used to get up at 3 AM to get a palapa and would be 5th or 6th in line!

Sorry for getting long winded...we love Aruba and the Surf Club just wish it was smaller..
Old Tuesday, January 12th, 2010, 10:30 AM

Maybe someone else can help. I think the tags are pool chairs only as the palapas are numbered. You are right about the wrist bands as Ocean Club and other people would love to use the Lazy River. Myself, I like the Ocean Club as it is quieter and my kids are grown. Since I live here I dont go over there anymore but I have friends that work there. Hope someone can clarify your questions.
Old Tuesday, January 12th, 2010, 10:42 AM

Must be nice...living in Aruba! Are you from the States?

My wife and I watch HGTV's House Hunters and always love the episodes on houses in Aruba. Do you live on the beach?

I agree. The Ocean Club beach always looks...for lack of a better word...peacefull, but you can't beat the Surf Club's amenities.
Old Tuesday, January 12th, 2010, 11:18 AM

My wife and I are from Cape Cod. Everyone has their own thoughts on living here. Myself, it's paradise. You get use to the Island way of doing things. Just have to be learn to be patient and relax. No need to rush as no one else is. It's live and let live. We live near Tierra Del Sol. Before that we lived for 2 years down behind the airport in an area known as Bucuti. Very Local area and I liked it there. My wife, not so much and the High Rise is just more convienant from here. Better beachs etc... I still go back south of the airport to hang with my local friends. Usually on Saturday or Sunday it's "Young Fellows" Bar and then on to Zeerovers in Savanetta.
Kinda have a routine. Anyways, life is good.
Old Thursday, January 14th, 2010, 08:25 PM

lmccollom is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Need more info on chair tags & palapas

iamromo....I am with you. The Surf Club has gotten too big and too crowded. Marriott WAY overbuilt - we bought a 3 BR to use at Spring Break but have never, ever been able to get it for the week we want. Last year, when we couldn't get it, we deposited our week with Interval so we could go somewhere else, and put the Surf Club on our list of resorts, and lo and behold we ended up there. I was really mad - we couldn't get in by making a regular reservation and then had to spend the $ with Interval and ended up at our home resort. Suffice to say I got no sympathy from II or from the SC.

This year, I again tried to make a reservation one year in advance for the dates we wanted, but no such luck. So we deposited our week and are planning to go in June. We have not heard a thing yet from II and I am getting nervous about tickets. I know it is still five months away, but the earlier you buy them, the more reasonable they are (we are coming from Iowa and it is always really expensive from here).

Anyway, the tags were new in 2009, I think. We first experienced them over Spring Break last March. Seriously, either my husband or my dad would go down at 7:30 a.m. (which is supposed to be when you can first tag chairs) to tag them, and then we took turns so that one of us went down and sat for a while - so the guards could see us - every hour or so until everyone was ready to come down (which was usually around 11:00 a.m.) We only got chairs where we wanted to sit on the last Friday we were there - which is because that is a check in/out day and there were people coming and going. I think they started it because people would go at ridiculous hours of the morning to put towels on chairs and then get upset when someone moved their towel later on. When we were there in August, it was awful as well...I didn't think it would be so crowded but it was. We didn't do the chair tag thing because there were just two of us and we figured we'd be able to find chairs....not so much. You cannot use them for palapas, you can only use them at the pool. The long and the short of it is that there are too many people and not enough chairs - and really no good space to add chairs.

I, too, apologize for being long winded. This is a real sore spot for me, as we spend a TON of money to have a vacation spot to take our kids and then we can't even take them when we want to.
Old Thursday, January 14th, 2010, 09:09 PM

Dear IAMROMO,
Why don't you just deal with the G.M. when you arrive and explain your displeasure. I know they have an owners meeting on Tuesday at least once a week and the G.M. attends. You pay your fee's to be a club owner, please make them aware that you are not satisfied. You have to raise the hair on the back of your neck if need be ! Sorry this sounds harsh, but I have been employed here.
Regards
JAWZ
P.S. Vote for the English Newspaper, you'll love it!
Old Thursday, January 14th, 2010, 09:15 PM

Before I go on a rant, let me first make a comment regarding the reservation process. I literally sit in front of an atomic wall clock(accurate to 1/100000th of a second). I practice how long it takes to "dial" my phone and connect to Marriott reservations. Then on the day I need to call in I have it all timed out. Once, less that 5 seconds after 9AM, I was told all rooms were already taken...I nearly reached through the phone...then she says "oops" the computer made a mistake, there are rooms available. The whole process is stressfull. My wife is a teacher and we are limited to 2 weeks that we can go. Our salesman told us many untruths...the reservation method was one of them..

Now for my rant - please excuse my French, but Interval International sucks! 3 times I had deposited weeks...3 times I had to pay for extensions BECAUSE there was never a room available anywhere we wanted to go or could go (since my wife is limited). Once you pay to extend they become a 60 day in advance only reservation. I have written many letters to no avail..

Vacations are supposed to be relaxing...Marriott has made that almost impossible. I could go on and on as to what the salesman told us that were basically lies...but it would solve nothing...
Old Thursday, January 14th, 2010, 09:20 PM

Dear jawz,

Been there...done that...I went as far as a Regional Manager...Mr. Marriott's personal assistant...and just about any one else who I thought would listen...which no one did...
Old Thursday, January 14th, 2010, 09:33 PM

Hi IAMROMO,
I'm very disappionted to say the least. When I was employed there, which was less than 3 mos. ago, our owners would come to the sales office and do a presentation and collect their money or certificates and then voice their complaints to the to the sales manager, being Ron Mosley. This is at the Ocean Club/Surf club sales presentation ,above the Champions Bar and Grill. Everyone has a bad experience sometime. I think it can be rectified bye spending time on a new presentation and then voicing your opinion to the sales managment. They are the ones who make the money for Marriott. This is my opinion, do what you want, but I've seen results with this approach. Please do not use this reply as an avenue. The information is only an opinion, not written in stone. write to JW Marriott Jr. Do it. Plenty have and have gotten a good response. I hope you do after all the difficult times you have endured.
Regards.

Last edited by jawz; Thursday, January 14th, 2010 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Poor spelling LOL
Old Thursday, January 14th, 2010, 09:58 PM

jawz,

Not knowing what your position was, I must say the friendliest, most helpful, caring people were the employees on the properties...not the management. The management just talks around the issues...believe me, I have tried every avenue to be satisfied.

We love Aruba and will be back as often as possible in the future..
Old Thursday, January 14th, 2010, 11:25 PM

lmccollom is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Need more info on chair tags & palapas

Jawz....I am with you 100% on the lies from the sales folks. When we were there in August I got in touch with the sales person we had worked with and gave her an earful. I've written to the management, I have offered to sit on the BOD (twice)....now I am leaning toward selling for all of those reasons. And as for II - well, it is too late and I am too tired, talking about them will make my blood boil. Maybe one of us will have an epiphany in the middle of the night.....