Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Timeshare Owners' Corner > Marriott Surf Club

Marriott Surf Club This Forum is for Marriott Surf Club Owners to post/exchange information about their resort. To list PRIVATE rentals,please click here. To list PRIVATE sales, please click here.

Old Friday, October 6th, 2006, 12:11 AM

Sunshine is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Open Discussion on Marriott Aruba Surf Club for Owners

I don't see much discussion in this forum and I'm hoping to start some discussion for fellow owners of the Marriott's Aruba Surf Club. Any topic goes. So let's here it from my fellow owners.

I recently returned and found the beds extremely comfortable, the lazy river extremely relaxing and had a great time. Being on the construction side, I could not hear any noice. There is beach access now and they are almost done working on the pier.

By the way, if anyone is looking to buy a float for the pool, the MarketPlace often runs out of them, but the Ocean Club (for owners) usually has them, or when all else fails the Holiday Inn has them. The Surf Club now has 2 air pumps to fill up your floats.

I also found out that the Surf Club does have free WiFi in the pool area and the Lobby, and the public areas on the first floor near the internet kioks and kid's room.

So what are your thoughts on your recent trip to the Surf Club?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, October 11th, 2006, 09:10 AM

Thomascr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Open Discussion on Marriott Aruba Surf Club for Owners

We own two at the Surf Club and our next trip is 38 days away (11/19-11/26). I have been very satisfied with the villas, but will comment on our last trip which was in March. We were in Tower 2 and they had problems with A/C then. I am concerned that I have seen more complaints about A/C. This trip we will be in Tower 1. I am lkooking forward to seeing beach front construction progress.
Tom
Old Tuesday, October 17th, 2006, 08:25 AM

Karin is on a distinguished road

This will be my 3rd time staying at the Surf Club (Nov 12-19). I've never had any complaints about either the Surf or Ocean Club (nor the Marriott Hotel). Beautiful resorts!
I find the beds to be very comfortable. Never had a problem getting a palapa. I don't really care about the front row. As long as I'm on the beach I'm happy.
Last time I stayed at the Surf Club, it was the week before the lazy river opened so I'm looking forward to floating on that. I bought a few floats at the end of the season so I'm ready. Glad to hear there are air pumps. I'll just pass the floats on to someone else when I leave.
I will take notes on my likes and dislikes (bet I won't have any) and will post them when I get back.
Old Tuesday, October 17th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Aruba Expert

th7799 is on a distinguished road

Greetings All and Hi Karin!
I am preparing for my third trip to Surf Club. We own there and love it. This year I'm going November 23 to December 2nd. Should be a great trip. Arent' they all?

Like Karin, I bought the floats at the end of the pool season and I'll take them with me when we go. I wish I had a place to store them until the next trip!! Safe to say, I'm not dragging them home.

Sunshine, I thought there was free wifi in the guest rooms as well as the other areas you mentioned. Is that the case?

Thomas, you're there while I'm there, maybe we can meet. Karin and I met last year. It's always fun to put a face with a posting!

Let's keep this thread going. It's nice to have some other owners on here.
Tere
Old Wednesday, October 18th, 2006, 12:29 PM

Tere,
That would be nice if we could meet. We will be nearing the end of our time when you arrive. Perhaps we can arrange to meet on Friday or Saturday.
Tom
Old Thursday, October 19th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Aruba Expert

Hey Tom,

That sounds great. Let's make sure that we have time to meet. We are arriving on the 23rd, but we'll be at the Marriott that night, and then moving to the Surf Club on Friday the 24th. We could do either that Friday or Saturday.

I think it's fun to meet new friends from the BB. Let's make it work. We'll get my friends and your family together for a drink or something.

Tere
Old Friday, October 20th, 2006, 11:56 PM

Lightbulb Re: Open Discussion on Marriott Aruba Surf Club for Owners

Hi Tere,

The rooms at the Surf Club have free internet hook up (you have to plug a wire into your device). However the public areas, like the lobby, the MarketPlace, the hallways on the first floor, and the pool areas all have WiFi access. I found the strongest signal to be in the lobby.

I did some research when I got home though, and the next time I go, I'm going to bring a travel router with me to use in the room...it simply plugs into the wall (e.g. the kitchen) and you can use it anywhere in the villa. This way you can use true WiFi (or broadband or dial up) and have it on your device and not open on the resort's internet server for all to see. If you don't have WiFi, you can still get a travel router that bypasses the resort's server so you get added privacy protection and you don't have to pay for using the internet kiosk on the main floor.
Old Sunday, October 22nd, 2006, 09:30 PM

mzmac is on a distinguished road

My husband and I bought at the Surf Club while we were in Aruba this past Jan-Feb. Our time doesn't start until 2008 but I am still really excited about finally getting to stay there! We own weeks 4 and 5 at the Phoenix so being at the totally opposite end of the beach should be interesting. I'm not too sad that it won't be until 2008 because we got a bonus week that we will be using this May to stay at the new Marriott Grand Chateau in Las Vegas and then they gave us enough points that we will be going to Maui in Sept. for a week with free air and hotel! Yeah, Marriott!!!
Old Monday, October 23rd, 2006, 12:51 AM

Smile Re: Open Discussion on Marriott Aruba Surf Club for Owners

Hi Mzmac,

Let me know how you like the Grand Chateau. We were thinking of going some time with our points that we have.

You'll love Maui, but on the expensive side. Which Marriott will you be staying at? I can give you tips on restaurants. Make sure you take the time to go to Haleakela (bundle up because it's freezing up there but well worth seeing the sunset on top of an extinct volcano!) Depending on when you are going in September, the whales are getting confused with global warming and started to migrate this October...they normally start in December. So maybe when you go, they might be there...well worth the trip to see a mother whale teach her baby how to do things!!!
Old Saturday, October 28th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Aruba Expert

Hey Sunshine,

Thanks for the update on the wifi. I've been doing the travel router for about three years now and absolutely don't leave home without it. It's great because you can turn any location with internet access into a wifi cafe.

Another great advantage is that there is a setting on the router that allows you to set up other users on it. So if you're traveling with another family you can give them access.

I used it last year in Kauai at the Waiohai. We bought a week there too and alternate between Aruba and Kauai.

I am getting excited we're within thirty days now.

Have a great weekend.
Tere
Old Saturday, October 28th, 2006, 12:54 PM

Hi Tere,

We have a few things in common. I also own at Ko Olina on the west side of Oahu (always sunny there due to the mountains blocking the clouds). We're waiting for a trade with Interval to go to Waiohai for 2007 when we island hop. I've never been there, so feel free to email or PM me your thoughts and things to do and places to eat on the island. We rotate between Aruba, Oahu, and Maui. Thanks.
Old Saturday, October 28th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Aruba Expert

Hey Sunshine,

Nice choice of vacation destinations. I love the Hawaii/Aruba connection. I've been to both Oahu and Maui, but decided to buy Kauai. I'd be happy to fill you in on our favorite places to go and of course all the great places to eat. We are going to be back at Waiohai in March of 2007. I believe it's the 9th through the 19th. When are you going to be there?

When you go to Maui, do you eat at Mama's Fish House? Ahhhhh, I love that place. What a nice sunset they have there. And the Mai Tai's, gotta love those too.

Tere
Old Saturday, October 28th, 2006, 11:54 PM

Wink Re: Open Discussion on Marriott Aruba Surf Club for Owners

Hi Tere,

Ahhhhh...I love Mama's Fish House!!! It is so beautiful both inside, the decor outside around the restaurant, the gorgeous huge tropical bouquets and the sunsets. The food is outstanding. Did you get a chance to taste if not see any of the desserts like the Mother of Pearl (it really looks like a chocolate pearl in a clam shell)? I'm starting to drool just thinking about it.

Anyway, I'll send you a PM so you can give me more info. on Kauai since we've never been there. Thanks.
Old Friday, December 29th, 2006, 05:48 PM

sithdent is on a distinguished road

Sunshine- I am a new owenr and want to trade my Aruba for a Marriott property in Hawaii, maybe Kauai. Anyway, I have Gold season in Aruba. Have you tried to trade yours? Is it doable? Any advice?
Thanks,Jay
Old Friday, December 29th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Aruba Expert

Greetings Jay,

I saw your post about trading Aruba for Hawaii. I own at both Surf Club and Waiohai on Kauai. Prior to purchasing both of those units, we were able to trade our Arizona properties to get into both Aruba and Hawaii.

It's not easy, but it can be done. Be sure and ask your Marriott rep about the "request first" option. That seems to be the way to go. We typically have better luck going that route.

I'm heading back to Waiohai in March and it's actually our week to go. It's a great property.
Tere
Old Friday, December 29th, 2006, 11:06 PM

Lightbulb Re: Open Discussion on Marriott Aruba Surf Club for Owners

Hi Jay,

Regarding trading, it depends on where you want to go and what you have to trade. If you are trading for a place that is not as requested, or during off-peak season, you have a better chance. HI is considered prime property for trading. Aruba is also considered prime as well, but you are trading with Gold season, so your chances of trading are better if you trade during off-peak.

If you don't think that you have a chance of getting into some place you really want to go, another option is to bank your points one year (and make sure you signed up for the Marriott Visa card to start collecting more reward points...and pay your Maint. Fees with the card to get even more points). By the following year, you'll be able to buy your resort stay with your points including your airfare and your car rental. Your Marriott Rep. will take care of the details for you and it will cost you less then doing it if you paid cash individually. Hope this helps.
Old Sunday, December 31st, 2006, 10:48 AM

scrappy119 is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: Open Discussion on Marriott Aruba Surf Club for Owners

Hi All,
Paul and Laura heading down to surf club Feb. 4th to the 18th 2007 hoping to meet other owners as well. Maybe we could meet for drinks at Happy Hour at the Ocean club seems all the out going people go there for Happy Hour drinks and we know most of the bartenders who are really nice people. Hopefully none of my favorite bartenders got fired this year we lost one of our best bartenders the last time down there. Anyway heres to a great trip as always and to meeting new friends and old ones again. Happy New Year to all !!!!!
Old Sunday, December 31st, 2006, 03:01 PM
Almost Aruban

ruba4ever is on a distinguished road

scrappy...who was your favorite bartender? We lost ours too, and I really was shocked by it! I'm thinking it might be one and the same. We lost a fav the year before too. I guess all things change and we might as well get used to it. Doesn't mean we have to like it though
ruba

Old Monday, January 1st, 2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruba4ever View Post
scrappy...who was your favorite bartender? We lost ours too, and I really was shocked by it! I'm thinking it might be one and the same. We lost a fav the year before too. I guess all things change and we might as well get used to it. Doesn't mean we have to like it though
ruba
His name is victor and we go see him when we are on the island , we actually spent carnival day with him and his family last year, he has a wonderful and caring family.
Old Monday, January 1st, 2007, 08:04 PM
Almost Aruban

Victor was one of our favorites too. That was the one I spoke of that was gone the 2005. We also loved Leisha...she was gone 2006. When Leisha was still there, she helped us get in touch with Victor, but since she is gone we have no way of doing that. If you could, pm me with info to get in touch with him.(I would really appreciate it!) We miss our friends and are sad they are gone, but we still have Wilma and the others that do their best everyday and make our happy hours happy!
ruba

Old Tuesday, January 2nd, 2007, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruba4ever View Post
Victor was one of our favorites too. That was the one I spoke of that was gone the 2005. We also loved Leisha...she was gone 2006. When Leisha was still there, she helped us get in touch with Victor, but since she is gone we have no way of doing that. If you could, pm me with info to get in touch with him.(I would really appreciate it!) We miss our friends and are sad they are gone, but we still have Wilma and the others that do their best everyday and make our happy hours happy!
ruba
Wilma and Franklin both know victor Both still work there, I also have his email address I will email him and ask if it will be alright to give you his address. Will let you know soon as I can. You will have to contact me at my email address off this site, dont want his email address out there for everyone. Talk soon
Old Wednesday, January 3rd, 2007, 08:58 PM
Almost Aruban

Thanks scrappy. Appreciate it!

Old Friday, January 19th, 2007, 02:06 PM

jeffbuff74 is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Open Discussion on Marriott Aruba Surf Club for Owners

Jane and I are looking forward to the first two weeks in January 2008 as our first use. We fell in love with Aruba in 2006 and added The Surf Club as our third Marriott week. ( Phuket and Palm Desert also). We will monitor the chats and contribute from time to time.

For starters, we will rent a car when we come. What is the best car company ?.. and why.

Thanks Jeff B
Old Friday, January 19th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

jeff, just as a suggestion, i recommend that you ask non marriott related questions in the general aruba threads. you will get many more answers.

also, there is a search section with the link at the top of this page. use it before posting and you can get a lot of questions answered without waiting.

no sense in limiting yourself only to this section when you can get a better variety of answers by asking the questions elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbuff74 View Post
Jane and I are looking forward to the first two weeks in January 2008 as our first use. We fell in love with Aruba in 2006 and added The Surf Club as our third Marriott week. ( Phuket and Palm Desert also). We will monitor the chats and contribute from time to time.

For starters, we will rent a car when we come. What is the best car company ?.. and why.

Thanks Jeff B
Old Tuesday, January 30th, 2007, 01:26 PM

Counting down again until I go back on March 23rd. Has anyone been recently that can tell me status of Fisherman's Hut and beah acess/fishing piers? When we were down during Thanksgiving, there was some kind of party or clelebration originating from Fisherman's Hut which made me surmise that maybe it was completed construction. Also has there been any movement toward restricting the type of floats in Lazy River. At owners' meeting they mentioned it as it seemed to be getting out of hand especially when crowded. Thanks
Tom
Old Tuesday, January 30th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Almost Aruban

We received our owners newsletter this past weekend and according to that, the beach is finished and the restaurant open. They also said they are trying to reach a common ground on what kind of floats should be used by everyone.
ruba

Old Wednesday, January 31st, 2007, 04:15 PM

Ruba4ever,
Thanks for info. I will look for the newsletter as it has not arrived yet. I appreciate the info.
Thomascr
Old Tuesday, August 5th, 2008, 09:10 PM

arubagetaway is on a distinguished road

Do you ever find an open discussion for Marriott Aruba Surf Club members?
Old Wednesday, August 6th, 2008, 07:21 AM

Dear Arubagetaway,
I don't understand your question as I believe this BB and specifically this thread is one of the most open discussions you can have. What are you looking to discuss or find out?
Tom
Old Wednesday, August 6th, 2008, 12:40 PM

arubagetaway is on a distinguished road

I'm new to this site & as a Marriott owner and don't see any recent posts in the last year on this site, just wondered if I'm missing something. I have questions in regards to having booked through Interval and now I need to cancel, but wonder if I should try to rent on my own, first.
Old Wednesday, August 6th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Aruba Expert

qlaval is on a distinguished road

I think that canceling your week is your best option.

Cause renting any week that you get from II violates II's Membership Terms & Conditions.
The risk is that you'll be found out, your account suspended, any deposited weeks forfeited and the reserved AC week canceled.
Worse, if your renter shows up to check in and finds the week canceled, you'll be in one heck of a legal mess.

There have been reports including one within the last several weeks, of people having their account suspended for actual or suspected renting of weeks obtained from II (and similarly from RCI).
Old Wednesday, August 6th, 2008, 06:01 PM

freshair is on a distinguished road

Dear Arubagetaway-

http://www.ownertrades.com/

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391

These are two sites I've found helpful in clarifying certain issues. Perhaps you will find some answers there.
Old Saturday, September 6th, 2008, 03:51 PM

JDuckery is on a distinguished road

I am trying to find out whether other Surf Club owners get requests to answer surveys from MVC about their vacation experience, to then never hear back from Marriott Vacation Club again. Same thing with sending E-mails to the managerial staff. They go unresponded, or they respond by not really addressing the issues. The next time I receive a survey, I won't waste my time and I will just redirect the E-mail to my waste basket, and find alternative, more public, routes of voicing my concerns. Would like to hear from others, if they feel the same way: That MVC really does not care once they have you as an owner.
Old Saturday, September 6th, 2008, 04:34 PM

bt0510 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDuckery View Post
I am trying to find out whether other Surf Club owners get requests to answer surveys from MVC about their vacation experience, to then never hear back from Marriott Vacation Club again. Same thing with sending E-mails to the managerial staff. They go unresponded, or they respond by not really addressing the issues. The next time I receive a survey, I won't waste my time and I will just redirect the E-mail to my waste basket, and find alternative, more public, routes of voicing my concerns. Would like to hear from others, if they feel the same way: That MVC really does not care once they have you as an owner.
In my experience, MVC's survey's require you to request that someone from MVC contact you back. So you need to make sure you have done that. It is one of the last few questions. I personally have selected that option and was contacted. But you are contacted from Customer Relations or something like that, not directly from the resort. (Again, in my experience)

You have probably heard that there has been a lot of change in the management structure of the Aruba resorts over the last few months. So if your complaint is within that time frame, then maybe it unfortunately got lost in the shuffle. Maybe you could contact the GM at the Surf Club if you have a direct complaint about Surf Club. I had done this in the past based on a concern, not complaint, and the GM (Flor at the time) responded with quite a bit of information to set my mind at ease.
Old Saturday, September 6th, 2008, 04:48 PM

JDuckery is on a distinguished road

Thanks BT0510. Yes, I did complete the survey with the request that I be contacted, and this was back in June, so prior to the changes in management. If I'm correct, Flor van der Vaart is/was actually the manager of the Ocean Club, and I believe, he responded to me last year when I had a question about a new policy that affected me and my family. He was very friendly and professional, and told me that he would relay my concern to the manager of the Surf Club. The Ocean Club seems to have things under control way better than the Surf Club. They have an owners website with helpful info and links. I was promised that we would get a similar website when Surf Club was taken off of Ocean Club's website. I also get letters from Ocean Club's management about what is going on at that resort. I wish I would get that courtesy from the Surf Club management, since that is actually the resort where we own.
Old Saturday, September 6th, 2008, 05:53 PM

bhoffdhoff is on a distinguished road

I have personally thought that a hand written letter always gets more attention than an email. That delete button is so easy to press. If I have a real concern, I address it through either a telephone call or a real letter.

Good luck,
Bobbie

ps. I'm not sure, but I was under the impression that Flor was the gm at both resorts.
Old Saturday, September 6th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Aruba Expert

qlaval is on a distinguished road

Flor van der Vaart is now GM at St-Kitts...
Corey Guest is now the new GM at the OC as for the SC I don't know...
I own at the OC not the SC, still in 2008 I think an appropriate owners website is a must.

From what I heard both OC and SC managements are not totally hands in hands...

Last edited by qlaval; Saturday, September 6th, 2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old Friday, September 19th, 2008, 12:48 PM

Laura Wilton is on a distinguished road

Looking to rent 2 bedroom Marrriott unit for November 2-7; or 6 -11(part of week 44 or 45) 2008. 2 adults 4 children reply to email lwilton@verizon.net
Old Friday, September 19th, 2008, 07:53 PM

bt0510 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Wilton View Post
Looking to rent 2 bedroom Marrriott unit for November 2-7; or 6 -11(part of week 44 or 45) 2008. 2 adults 4 children reply to email lwilton@verizon.net
If you have a membership at tugbbs.com, go to the marketplace. There is someone renting a unit from Oct 31 to Nov 7.

Also, did you check redweek or vacationtimesharerentals?
Old Sunday, July 7th, 2013, 10:47 AM

Jerseygirl is on a distinguished road

We're getting ready for our trip to the Surf Club. Wondering if anyone can tell me if there is free wifi in the rooms. I read somewhere there is, but then there was conflicting info. I know there is free wired (in the kitchen area). Hoping they may have updated. Also, I just bought a new laptop. If there is no wireless, just wired, I want to make sure this lap will work when I plug it in. Is there anything I have to do to it set up wise, before I get there, to make sure I don't have to deal with computer issues on my vacation? Thanks in advance!!