Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Timeshare Owners' Corner > Aruba Grand/Riu

Aruba Grand/Riu This Forum is for Aruba Grand/Riu Owners to post/exchange information about their resort. To list PRIVATE rentals,please click here. To list PRIVATE sales, please click here.

Old Wednesday, February 21st, 2007, 01:44 AM

jbk224 is on a distinguished road
Default Aruba Grand Timeshare Network

I own 3 weeks at the Aruba Grand. Two years ago I started an Aruba Grand Time Share Owners Network. Today, we have over 230 weeks represented. The network is used to facilitate communication amongst our fellow owners and help us "rent", sell, or buy our weeks. If you would like to become a part of this network, please e-mail me with your Unit #(S) and week(s). I will return your e-mail to confirm the information.
I recently returned from Aruba and while I don't think that the hotel will be fully operational for Dec 2007, Richard has again said that it will be fully open and operational. Infact, if you check the RIU site, they are accepting reservations from July 1st thru December 22nd. Nothing after that.
I am also concerned about the condition of the rooms. If there is anything that we can do, it will only be because we can present a united and consolidated voice. The more weeks we have represented by our network, the better position we will be in to do something. I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards,
jbk224@gmail.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, February 21st, 2007, 12:11 PM

Kunka Family is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Aruba Grand Timeshare Network

Hi, happy to see your positng. Have sent required information to your email address. If I can help in any way, please let me know.
Diana Kunka
Old Wednesday, February 21st, 2007, 12:15 PM
Aruba Expert

LynnS is on a distinguished road

I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards,
jbk224@gmail.com[/quote]

I sent an email-you might be sorry you made that statement.
We will do what we can to help. Thanks
Old Wednesday, February 21st, 2007, 04:53 PM

lindaspooky is on a distinguished road

Just sent my info too. Never knew this network existed.

Linda
Old Thursday, February 22nd, 2007, 10:24 AM

rdharles is on a distinguished road

I didn't know such a thing existed either. Just curious, how were you able to gather information on that many owners? That's quite an accomplishment.

I'm concerned (as well as most people on this board) that the existing timeshare units that were not updated will never get updated. I know they are refacing the outside of the building (or course they have to do that for appearances) but I can see them ignoring the insides of the units. What benefit would it be to RIU to make the timeshare owners happy?
I certainly hope I'm wrong.

Thanks for putting this together. I hope we can make a difference!
R.D.
Old Saturday, March 3rd, 2007, 09:52 PM

JohnL is on a distinguished road

I, too, never heard of this network. I have an email group of about 25 members and no one ever mentioned this group. We need to hear from the organizer with more explanation.

There are rumors floating around that RIU might buy out the timeshare owners, especially the 2 floors of beachfront apartment units. What does anyone know of such a rumor? I stress the word RUMOR!
Old Sunday, March 4th, 2007, 12:50 AM

RD thanks for joining the network. The time-share owners do not own the units 52 weeks for perpituity. Infact, the RIU owns the unsold weeks. I think that it would be fair to say that they want to maximize their revenues and will include these units in their inventory. It would be in their interest to make sure that they are suitable to "rent". Good business. I own three weeks of the 2br beachfront units and have not been approached by the RIU. We should get the first info letter soon. Let's take it from there.
Now to John L.
Lots of canvasssing while on the beach.....networking with anyone who is interested, and cross-checking the information. Feel free to contact your network and copy my e-mail and postings. They may join our network.
Feel free to contact me with any questions or interest in renting or selling. I'll forward the requests to the other members.
Regards,
Jon Kirshner
jbk224@gmail.com
Old Sunday, March 25th, 2007, 09:23 AM

arubamidushi is on a distinguished road

Greetings,
I just found this bulletin board and am glad I did. I finally saw something in writing (here) from RIU. I have e-mailed many times without a reply. I was just in Aruba 10/8-22/06 and actually used the Aruba Grand's beach while there. The only building still standing the same was the timeshare building, but they were adding to the architecture to match the other buildings. Doesn't look like it will be completed by late summer as the letter says, but I'm going again from 4/16-4/30/07 and will check on the progress. I just sent an e-mail to Loraine, asking if there'll be anyone at the hotel to answer questions or show any completed units. Thanks for posting the letter.

SC
Old Saturday, May 26th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Aruba Expert

I received an email from Jon K.-post above-Aruba Grand Timeshare Owners Network- he received an email from Richard that stated the hotel WILL BE OPEN July,20th. Letters are suppose to go out next week with the information. This should be interesting for those of us that have units in July and have made other arrangements.
Old Sunday, August 12th, 2007, 06:09 PM

MacDuff is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: Aruba Grand Timeshare Network

Just found this website. We own unit 522. I can't remember the week, and don't have the file with me. I think it is week 47 or 48. I'll check and get back to you on that.
More to the point, has anybody stayed in the timeshare portion of the hotel since it reopened? Along with everyone else, I'm curious to find out if any renovations have been made to those rooms.
Old Sunday, August 12th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Aruba Expert

Talked to a friend that returned last week. When they arrived for week 29 no timeshares were ready so they were put in a room and given AI. They also own week 30-and had a few problems.
Hope things improve by Oct.

Last edited by LynnS; Sunday, August 12th, 2007 at 08:51 PM.
Old Sunday, February 17th, 2008, 07:07 PM

fitz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by arubamidushi View Post
Greetings,
I just found this bulletin board and am glad I did. I finally saw something in writing (here) from RIU. I have e-mailed many times without a reply. I was just in Aruba 10/8-22/06 and actually used the Aruba Grand's beach while there. The only building still standing the same was the timeshare building, but they were adding to the architecture to match the other buildings. Doesn't look like it will be completed by late summer as the letter says, but I'm going again from 4/16-4/30/07 and will check on the progress. I just sent an e-mail to Loraine, asking if there'll be anyone at the hotel to answer questions or show any completed units. Thanks for posting the letter.

SC
My husband and I have week ten in unit 4111. Do you know if the units have been updated? Also next year I want to ask the week 9 owners if they will change weeks with me. Need your help.
Old Sunday, February 17th, 2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk224 View Post
I own 3 weeks at the Aruba Grand. Two years ago I started an Aruba Grand Time Share Owners Network. Today, we have over 230 weeks represented. The network is used to facilitate communication amongst our fellow owners and help us "rent", sell, or buy our weeks. If you would like to become a part of this network, please e-mail me with your Unit #(S) and week(s). I will return your e-mail to confirm the information.
I recently returned from Aruba and while I don't think that the hotel will be fully operational for Dec 2007, Richard has again said that it will be fully open and operational. Infact, if you check the RIU site, they are accepting reservations from July 1st thru December 22nd. Nothing after that.
I am also concerned about the condition of the rooms. If there is anything that we can do, it will only be because we can present a united and consolidated voice. The more weeks we have represented by our network, the better position we will be in to do something. I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards,
jbk224@gmail.com
[FONT='Gill Sans MT','sans-serif']Dear John,[/FONT]
[FONT='Gill Sans MT','sans-serif'][/FONT]
[FONT='Gill Sans MT','sans-serif']My husband and I own week ten - the first floor ocean front unit… 4111. We are headed there in 3 weeks and are looking forward to seeing the renovations. Do you know if they updated the interior. Our couch was really gross last year…Any comments would be appreciated on your experience there.[/FONT]
[FONT='Gill Sans MT','sans-serif']Also next year we would like to rent week 9 instead of week 10 as week 10 conflicts with our sons vacation. do you know how I can reach the person who stays in that unit?[/FONT]
[FONT='Gill Sans MT','sans-serif']Thanks so much for your help![/FONT]
Old Monday, February 18th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Aruba Expert

I can't help with the week 9/10 switch-sorry.
I can tell you that the units have NOT been renovated. Some have new toasters,blenders etc... but the furnishings are the same as before.
Old Monday, February 18th, 2008, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS View Post
I can't help with the week 9/10 switch-sorry.
I can tell you that the units have NOT been renovated. Some have new toasters,blenders etc... but the furnishings are the same as before.
Bummer! Thanks so much for the heads up. Do you like the changes? Wonder if the beach is packed now.
Old Tuesday, February 19th, 2008, 12:30 AM

I have just read some of the posts concerning interest in the Riu/Aruba Grand; and some responses about the Aruba Grand Time Share Network (AGTSN)--and quotes from "Jon K".
I am Jon K., and I run the AGTSN. If anyone is interested in up to date information about the hotel and/or time share...feel free to contact me directly at arubagrandtimesharenetwork@gmail.com
If you would like to know about availability of time hare units, please contact me as well and I will try to facilitate the exchange of information.

Contacting me will guaranty a response. Posting a message will not.

Hope that this is helpful.
Jon K.
Old Tuesday, February 19th, 2008, 12:32 AM

The biggest difference with the beach is that there are tons of people that pull up chairs between the front row of the palapas and the water. Not the same quiet, clear view you use to have. It's still nice sitting on the beach, just not quite the same as it was.

The pool is really nice. Enjoyed the "upper level" pool almost every day while there when I wasn't on the beach.

The grounds are certainly impressive looking. Gotta give 'em that.

The room was identical as when we left it 2 years ago before the construction. No better, no worse.

Going back in 2 weeks (our usual wk.9). If anyone has anything particular they want me to check out, let me know.
Old Thursday, February 21st, 2008, 12:52 PM
Aruba Expert

Hi rd,
Have a great vacation. Any info from the Riu is appreciated.
Old Thursday, February 21st, 2008, 01:13 PM

Thanks Lynn, I will, and I'll be gathering as much new info as I can...

R.D.