Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Timeshare Owners' Corner > Aruba Grand/Riu

Aruba Grand/Riu This Forum is for Aruba Grand/Riu Owners to post/exchange information about their resort. To list PRIVATE rentals,please click here. To list PRIVATE sales, please click here.

Old Saturday, November 10th, 2007, 04:14 PM

Java20 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy concerned about the 5th floor

Has anyone stayed in their unit on the 5th floor yet? We stayed in Aruba in April 07 at a private residence and went twice to the beach in front of the Grand. Yes, we were also approached by vultures and told that we had to pay to use the palapas and chairs. They were quite determined and there were two different groups vying with each other. There was quite a lot of construction going on with a considerable amount of dust blowing. We also noticed, especially at night, that the building was occupied. We did find out that the workers and families were staying in the units. We observed all the windows and doors open during the day, with curtains blowing out, and dust blowing in. I am very concerned upon reading that nothing has been done to some of the units. The last time I stayed there was in 05 as they closed before our week in 06. At that time the unit was badly in need of upgrades. The AC which has always been a problem, smelled strongly of bleach, and there was a strong mildew/mold smell in the unit. How could they let people occupy the units, leave the doors open with all of that construction and not update/upgrade? I have asthma and the last visit we had to be moved to a room due to the mold. My sister-in-law returns tomorrow from two weeks there (one at the phoenix). Her unit is on the 3rd floor. I will let you know what she reports. I am saddened that this has happened to what used to be the best kept secret on the beach. We have owned there since 94.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, November 14th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Aruba Expert

LynnS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: concerned about the 5th floor

Hi Java20-
We stayed in our 5th floor unit the beginning of Oct. No major changes- furniture,beds etc all the same. No phone in the bedroom and furniture was stained and a smell was present. We opened the sliding doors,sprayed lysol and turned the A/C on high-this all helped.
The carpet in the hallway is stained and needs a GOOD CLEANING.!!!!!!
Just my opinion-I do not think Riu will do any renovations UNLESS we pay an assesment fee-this is what the AG wanted us to do just before it was sold.
We did have a new blender and got a new toaster while we were there. If you have any questions please ask-
Old Wednesday, November 21st, 2007, 12:34 PM

lindaspooky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: concerned about the 5th floor

Just returned from 2 weeks at the Riu. 1st week was old 526 new 568, 2nd week was old 332 new 362. Both units and I believe all units were completly painted. We did not have any smell or problems in either unit.
Yes, the carpeting could use cleaning, there are stains and normal wear and tear. We had the maids give us sheets to cover the sofas which we always did anyway. Because of all the previous reports I brought a bottle of frebreeze and some room fresheners. Didn't need them but since I had it I sprayed the carpets and drapes every so often. They were in the process of painting the halls while we were there and I believe they are finished.

All in all we enjoyed our stay. Richard and Jelishka were a pleasure and
we had no complaints. Looking forward to returning next year.

Linda
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook