Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Timeshare Owners' Corner > Aruba Grand/Riu

Aruba Grand/Riu This Forum is for Aruba Grand/Riu Owners to post/exchange information about their resort. To list PRIVATE rentals,please click here. To list PRIVATE sales, please click here.

Old Friday, November 24th, 2006, 07:29 PM

lindaspooky is on a distinguished road
Default just returned - updates

Just got back last night and luckily ran into some of the former employees of the Grand. I hope I remember it all, if anyone else was there week 44/45/46 maybe you have info too.

Raquel is at La Cabana along with Helen and one other women who's name I forgot. Clemmons from the bar is at the Marriot. Auriello from the beach is at Playa Linda. Carmen from the towel hut is at Divi. There is also another guy from the front desk at the divi, not Richard though.
Saw one of the doorman/bellman quickly passing by in one of those golf carts near the Holiday Inn, but unfortunately was not able to stop and chat. It really was nice to be remembered by all of our "family" from the Grand. Told them all how much we will miss them. If they want to return they will have to submit an application for positions when Riu opens.

The construction is moving very quickly. Both new towers are up and look to be at full height. They are still in the cinderblock stage. The original building has some new facing with the "castle topping" in place to match the new towers. The beach side of the building near the Wyndham seems to be at the same position as the lanai's were, not taking up any more beach space. Nothing has changed on the beach, all huts are still there. Looks like chairs are being rented by the tent in front of the pier. I was amazed to see the progress since John's pictures in July. I should have some to post soon. If they keep at this rate I think there is a possibility for an Oct/Nov opening.

Raquel and others have mentioned that under Dutch law the Riu has to honor our contracts. Of course there is no way of knowing about the control of maintenance fees. I guess we all have to wait that one out.
We were also told by a rep of bluegreen (LaCabana timeshare sales) that Riu is a very well known and reputable company.

I did tell Raquel about our section here on the site, I hope she chooses to post.

Linda
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Friday, November 24th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Aruba Expert

AuntieMame is on a distinguished road
Default Re: just returned - updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaspooky View Post
Auriello from the beach is at Playa Linda.
Oh good. I'm glad to hear that. He made life a lot easier on the beach at the Grand. (We used to call him Senor Shark)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Saturday, November 25th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Aruba Expert

LynnS is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the update. We looked all over for the beach guys and Carmen in Aug. Glad to hear they are doing well. One of the bellman-tall Richard- is at the Renaissance.He said he will not go back to the Riu.
Anxious to see the pictures. Thanks
Old Saturday, December 2nd, 2006, 08:51 AM

JohnL is on a distinguished road

Good Morning and Happy Holidays:

Linda, thank you so much for the update. I return in January and July of 2007 and we are staying at the Costa Linda on both occasions. The countdown is on for the January trip. I'll be providing a full informational update with photos. Looks like RIU is going to open as scheduled, but it's unlikely to open before October of 2007. Someone said they are taking reservations for RIU Palace Aruba for summer of 2007.....I find it hard to believe that RIU would be overextending itself like that, but anything is possible.

Thanks for telling us where Auriello is working! He's the best on the beach and I plan to take a trip over to the Playa Linda to visit with him. I hope he returns to the Grand...no one does it better! Does anyone know what he is doing at Playa Linda? Is he on the beach?

Thanks again,
Old Saturday, December 2nd, 2006, 06:47 PM
Aruba Expert

LynnS is on a distinguished road

Very interesting- I just went to the Riu site and you can make reservations for July 07- A month ago it would not take any reservations for 07- not sure if you can make them for earlier than July that is just the month I picked since that is when we go. It just bothers me that if they are going to be open they would have notified club members so we could look at air fare OR not select a different resort or destination. I am very disappointed in how they-Riu and management at the Grand have treated us and not kept us informed. I have NEVER received any info from Riu
Old Saturday, December 2nd, 2006, 09:07 PM

JohnL is on a distinguished road

I'll check it myself and see what I can determine. Then I'll send an email to Debby Hassell and ask the tough questions. Quite frankly, I don't know if the folks at RIU are telling her anything. If the Condos are going to be re-done, then expect that they will be done last which will result in further delay.

July 2007 is an aggressive opening no matter what the RUI website is allowing. Even if they are taking reservations, it's unlikely they'll be able to honor those if the "Palace" cannot service the client. I hope they can because that means we owners get there sooner.

I'm sure we will hear something eventually. If a RIU representative is reading the BB, please tell us something, anything- the Aruba Grand/RIU timeshare owners would like some sort of official update and a realistic release of current information regarding projected opening of RIU Palace Aruba, timeshare protocol, logistics, and procedures.

I think communication is key, and, to date, RIU has been a poor communicator. Let's have some change. And let's start now. Please.

Respectfully,