Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Timeshare Owners' Corner > Costa Linda Resort

Costa Linda Resort This Forum is for Costa Linda Resort Owners to post/exchange information about their resort. To list PRIVATE rentals,please click here. To list PRIVATE sales, please click here.

Old Tuesday, January 2nd, 2007, 11:05 PM

Linda R is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Letter about Censorship from Norm Michaels and response from Linda R.

Dear Carol and the other recipients,

I'm not sure if the lack of posting is the specific posture and policy of
Mr. Schepps, or if they have just been sort of paralyzed by it all. If it
is the "official policy" to not post things that they don't want to hear,
then maybe it is time to just "clean house" and get rid of them all.

A while ago I posted the By-laws on the "Unofficial" site and was chastised
for it, even though the By-laws are a public record in Aruba. I believe
though that this current backroom political infighting with its allegations
of wrongdoing, mis-management, etc. should not be part of the larger public
discourse.

I believe that our "members only" BBS should be wide open to us, without any
censorship, pre-screening or oversight. Our elected Directors should
consider it as the valuable communications and feedback resource that it is.
The alternative to being shut out of our own house is to turn to the public
forums, which is why I created the "Unofficial CLBR" group in the first
place when Cy didn't want to hear dissent. and removed my posts.

There have been allegations of misuse of the C/L company credit card,
spending without review of the budget (especially on the income side),
general lack of oversight. These are the sort of things that we should be
discussing amongst ourselves without comment from the non-owners who just
happen to have surfed a public BBS.

Just my $0.02.
Best wishes to all in the New Year
Norm Michaels

Dear Norm,

I received your email to Bulletin Board. It's nice that you want to give Mr. Schepps the benefit of the doubt on the censorship issue, but I want you and any others with whom you are in contact to know that Joy Viapre told me personally after the week 48 weekly GM meeting that she could not return my post or Cy Holley's or those written by several others to the CLbb because she had been ordered to remove them by the Chairman.

You can argue about who did what under either chairman, but you can not deny that under the leadership of the current chairman, the scope and magnitude of attempts to stifle even the mildest disagreement with the current board majority is unprecedented and utterly disgraceful...and, more importantly, emblematic of the kind of exceedingly poor judgement we have been subjected to by these people. I frankly don't see how anyone can argue that whether the issue is censorship, lack of management oversight, failure to rein in spending in the face of growing fiscal shortfalls, failure to communicate with members -- except for unseemly, personal attacks on their colleagues -- or just common decency in being direct and honest with the CL owners, the current board majority has done a terrible job.

Incidentally, I am Linda Rapaport of the "and who is Mrs. Linda Rapaport" line from Alan Carlin's terribly misguided posting on the CLbb. My husband Robin and I have been CL members since 1999 and own three weeks. I have spoken to Cy Holley on perhaps three occasions during that period and not in more than two years. I just got to know Greg Wallace for the first time a month ago while enjoying one of our weeks at CL. I became involved in trying to help improve the current situation because of the outrage that I heard being expressed by everyone at the beach and the pool. It was truly the most different vacation I have ever had as more and more people wanted to talk and wanted answers to their questions about the actions of this board. When I attempted to get some, I met up with a stonewall and that motivated me to get more involved. My "agenda" as Mr. Carlin wonders, is the agenda of the majority of our members....to help restore our association to one that is financially secure, well-managed and member-driven.
I agree with you, Norm, that it is time for a change on the board.

Linda R.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, January 3rd, 2007, 05:07 PM

Norm Michaels is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Letter about Censorship from Norm Michaels and response from Linda R.

>>I received your email to Bulletin Board. It's nice that you want to give Mr. Schepps the benefit of the doubt on the censorship issue,

I'm not sure what was/is going on. All I do know is that I posted to the C/L Forum on Jan 1 and then reposted on Jan 2 and NOTHING has appeared.

>>Joy Viapre told me personally after the week 48 weekly GM meeting that she could not return my post or Cy Holley's or those written by several others to the CLbb because she had been ordered to remove them by the Chairman.

Not a smart thing to do. However, as one who had his posts pulled by Cy and whose direct request for what is legally obtainable information was denied by Cy, it seems like "just deserts". I still think that the C/L forum should be unmoderated and instantly posting, with "administration" to keep SPAM, flames and other clearly inappropriate ("I don't know what it is, but I'll know it when I see it) stuff out.

>> You can argue about who did what under either chairman, but you can not deny that under the leadership of the current chairman, the scope and magnitude of attempts to stifle even the mildest disagreement with the current board majority is unprecedented and utterly disgraceful...and, more importantly, emblematic of the kind of exceedingly poor judgement we have been subjected to by these people. I frankly don't see how anyone can argue that whether the issue is censorship, lack of management oversight, failure to rein in spending in the face of growing fiscal shortfalls, failure to communicate with members -- except for unseemly, personal attacks on their colleagues -- or just common decency in being direct and honest with the CL owners, the current board majority has done a terrible job.

I AGREE! So, now what? I'm not even looking for a "global mia culpa". I want leadership and direction. Not "trust me, I'll fix it, just don't ask me how, or to explain it to you, and above all, don't disagree with me." If the movement to pull off the 6 directors is successful, and Cy then becomes the Chair again . . . well, the devil we know is better than . . . . [ this is not a per se endorsement, only a comment on the trite idiom]. I do know that the current administration always gets stuck with the budget and financial problems from the prior administration. You know, I do know what I want to see and hear. I want the current Board to address, one by one the problems and issues as well as their suggested solutions. I don't buy any of the nonsense excuses that were given in the past. There has been such a breach of trust that this Board may never get it back together. You can't unring the bell sort to speak, and "trust", once broken, can sometimes never be restored.

>>Incidentally, I am Linda Rapaport of the "and who is Mrs. Linda Rapaport" line from Alan Carlin's terribly misguided posting on the CLbb. My husband Robin and I have been CL members since 1999 and own three weeks.

Nice to meet you. We've been owners since 1991 and my wife and I also own three weeks. I do intend to post a reply to the person who mentioned me in his recent post because he is clearly terribly misguided.

>>I have spoken to Cy Holley on perhaps three occasions during that period and not in more than two years. I just got to know Greg Wallace for the first time a month ago while enjoying one of our weeks at CL. I became involved in trying to help improve the current situation because of the outrage that I heard being expressed by everyone at the beach and the pool. It was truly the most different vacation I have ever had as more and more people wanted to talk and wanted answers to their questions about the actions of this board. When I attempted to get some, I met up with a stonewall and that motivated me to get more involved.

Seems reminescent of the frustration that I experienced two years ago. I wanted answers to legitimate questions and got stonewalled. I wanted there to be "due process" and a way for voices to be heard. I did some digging and learned the Aruba law and the rules, then got even more stonewalled. I hired a local attorney in Aruba then set about trying to get what the law entitled me too.

>>My "agenda" as Mr. Carlin wonders, is the agenda of the majority of our members....to help restore our association to one that is financially secure, well-managed and member-driven.

Well said. So, how do we do it. We have a system that allows for us only to consider as directors the cherry picked choices approved by the existing Board. ( I know that one of the proposals will allow for write-ins.) We have a policy that permits the Board to vote the unsold units which could very well trump any true expression of the "will of the Members". I know there are only 160 unsold units, but when there are only a few thousand votes cast, those 160 interest could easily by 10% of the vote. I do not disagree with the notion that a person like Cy with a large ownership interest has more say than you or I (with lesser interests), but I have never thought that silencing debate, crushing the opposition or stacking the deck was the proper way to do it.

>> I agree with you, Norm, that it is time for a change on the board.

I agree with you too and want there to be open discussion about how to do it. If C/L is too scared or paralyzed to provide us with the place to do that in private, then discussing it in these more public forums will be the consequence.

Norm Michaels

Last edited by Norm Michaels; Wednesday, January 3rd, 2007 at 05:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook