Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Timeshare Owners' Corner > Costa Linda Resort

Costa Linda Resort This Forum is for Costa Linda Resort Owners to post/exchange information about their resort. To list PRIVATE rentals,please click here. To list PRIVATE sales, please click here.

Old Friday, January 12th, 2007, 12:38 PM

Alan Carlin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Threat Letter to Alan Carlin by "Gary"

An Open Letter to Sherry (bb.visitaruba.com), Carol Bengis(FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT][/EMAIL]) , Linda Rapaport([/EMAIL]):

Regarding the Letter sent to each of you and myself by “Gary Sundance”([/EMAIL]), I have the following observations and questions:

To enlighten the Members who read this bulletin, let me explain what was in the letter.
Basically, the author meant to scare me and my family by attempting to publish my name, address, telephone # along with all the times we would be at Costa Linda and suggesting that it would be a good time to “take” (rob?) items from my home during those times! I, the Management at Costa Linda along with Costa Linda’s Attorney as well as other individuals consider this letter as a threat and are in the process of investigating the real identity of the coward hiding behind a pseudonym or acronym, who thinks it is impossible to trace. I have been advised that some of this individual’s friends currently in Aruba at Costa Linda are laughing among themselves about this threat. I’m sure that any of you who are reading this would react like me and fear that your homes would be subject to some thief reading “Gary’s” advice!

First, I want to extend my gratitude and admiration to Sherry, who is the fearless moderator of bb.visitaruba.com Bulletin Board as well as being a Member of Costa Linda. She has done her job by refusing to allow my personal information from being published on that site! Without revealing “Gary’s” identity, she called his attempt “stupid”. I am not sure that she would be privy to his real name as that is not required to Register at that website. She said that kind of behavior would not be tolerated!

“Gary” emailed an apology but indicated he still would send the unedited version to key people he knew as well as sending me the unedited version to scare my family.

Guess what “Gary” did? He stupidly neglected to realize his recipients were not as “hidden” as he thought they would be! And guess who some of those “unhidden” recipients turned out to be? – Carol Bengis (who is a prolific writer detailing all her complaints and comments on different websites) and Linda Rapaport (who is one of the people represented on the Proxy as authorized by anyone who signs it to represent them!)

Isn’t it interesting that after receiving the “threat letter”, they chose not to mention it as Sherry did? Did they agree with the advice that they pass on my personal information to anyone else they thought would be interested? – And Carol, aren’t you a professional travel agent who people entrust with their personal information and travel times?

The investigators may be contacting both of you to ask you (under oath?) if you know the real identity of the author of the “threat letter”. But wouldn’t it be better for the two of you to set the record straight on your own since your integrity(?) is now being compared to that of Sherry?

What in that letter don’t either of you understand, that you have not had Sherry’s reaction? Do you think it is “funny” that our daughter is now afraid to visit our home during our absence? Do you think it is “funny” that the police in our town now consider themselves “on alert” and intend to send extra patrols? Do you think that it is “funny” that Costa Linda now has to pay an Attorney to conduct an investigation? – And that comes out of the Members’ money! It’s amazing how all of us are stupid and your friend “Gary” is so clever. I guess “Gary” must be your friend since he knows your personal email addresses! I’m also guessing you know “Gary’s” personal email address as well!

Well, I don’t appreciate your sense of humor if you really think it is “funny”!
I would like to know the other Members of Costa Linda opinion of this letter and your “lack of concern” to “out” “Gary Sundance”! And who knows whether “Gary” will try to send another “message” on another website that might let personal information be published? Who will be “Gary’s” next target??

I am asking you both to save us all the aggravation, distress, time and money by doing the right thing! If you choose to continue to ignore my request, I hope the Members will suspect that you may be collaborating with Gary and show their concern by Revoking
their signature authorizing Linda Rapaport to represent them on the Proxy!

To all the Members who have read this, if you want more details, please email me – carlin.alan@gmail.com

Thank you. Sincerely!

Alan Carlin (Member at Costa Linda)

Last edited by dwippies; Friday, January 12th, 2007 at 01:39 PM. Reason: same on both sides...no personal info
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Friday, January 12th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

alan, as much as i find any threats intolerable on either side of this issue or any other issue on our board, the same goes for you as to your opposition. i will NOT tolerate any personal information being given out on our board. i have a responsibility to all of our members to respect their privacy. so do our other members. anyone who breeches that faces possible banning.

i will try to complete the editing of your post to make it 'neat' again but my major goal was to delete the personal information that you you gave out.
Old Friday, January 12th, 2007, 04:30 PM

Linda R is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Re: Threat Letter to Alan Carlin by "Gary"

A response to Alan

I do not have any idea what you are talking about. I received no letter from Gary Sundance and have no idea who is his, other than from viewing his posts on this bb. I think what he did was wrong. However, it's pretty clear from reading his post that he wasn't threatening you, but trying to make a point -- albeit inappropriately -- that the people whom you support in the Costa Linda dispute have forced members onto the public bbs with their censorship of the CLbb. When the moderator chastised him, he quickly apologized and admitted his error. One would wish that the Board members at Costa Linda would do the same.

As for Costa Linda attorneys looking into this or that regarding who emailed what, I hope you are incorrect on that score. The last thing we need after a hefty maintenace fee increase and continued discretionary spending in the face of a more than $800,000 budget deficit is such an inappropriate and frivolous use of the CL owners' money.

You are not helping your case by making these wild accusations. Most reasonable people will tune out all this nonsense because what they want -- what they crave, actually -- is relevant information about what is happening at our resort. A steadily growing number of people have an understanding that what is needed now is civilized discourse about the issues which concern us all. Hysterical accusations made with big bold capitalized type is the cyber equivalent of shouting. We dont need it. What we need is responsive and responsible leaders who will restore CL to a well-managed, fiscally sound and member-oriented resort.

You can make all the wild accusations you want, but they aren't what CL members want to hear. I promise fellow member/owners -- including you and others of your mindset -- that each time there is some diversionary false allegation or accusation, there will be a swift response and then its right back to a civilized dialogue about what is best for Costa Linda and its members.

Linda Rapaport
Old Friday, January 12th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Aruba Expert

Carol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Carlin
Guess what “Gary” did? He stupidly neglected to realize his recipients were not as “hidden” as he thought they would be! And guess who some of those “unhidden” recipients turned out to be? – Carol Bengis (who is a prolific writer detailing all her complaints and comments on different websites) and Linda Rapaport (who is one of the people represented on the Proxy as authorized by anyone who signs it to represent them!)
If you have an e-mail that I supposedly received about this, I would be very interested in seeing it. I never received any e-mails from Gary Sundance. So, if you have any proof, please share it with all of us.

Quote:
And Carol, aren’t you a professional travel agent who people entrust with their personal information and travel times?
No, I am not a professional travel agent. I work for a direct mail marketing company, and I don't have any access to people's personal information and travel times. Many, many years ago (too many for me to want to list), I was a travel agent. I did make travel arrangements for people, but I quickly discovered that it wasn't what I wanted for a career. I discovered that my passion was in Product Marketing and Product Development. I haven't been involved with people's personal information and travel times for many, many years.

Quote:
The investigators may be contacting both of you to ask you (under oath?) if you know the real identity of the author of the “threat letter”. But wouldn’t it be better for the two of you to set the record straight on your own since your integrity(?) is now being compared to that of Sherry?

What in that letter don’t either of you understand, that you have not had Sherry’s reaction? Do you think it is “funny” that our daughter is now afraid to visit our home during our absence? Do you think it is “funny” that the police in our town now consider themselves “on alert” and intend to send extra patrols? Do you think that it is “funny” that Costa Linda now has to pay an Attorney to conduct an investigation? – And that comes out of the Members’ money! It’s amazing how all of us are stupid and your friend “Gary” is so clever. I guess “Gary” must be your friend since he knows your personal email addresses! I’m also guessing you know “Gary’s” personal email address as well!
I'll be happy to talk to any investigator under oath. I have never had any correspondence with Gary Sundance. I never saw the original post before it was edited, so I have no idea what was contained in it. I couldn't have had the same reaction as Sherry, as she saw the original post and to this day I haven't. Again, can you provide any proof that Gary Sundance knows my e-mail address or that I know his e-mail address? I can assure you I have no e-mail address for Gary Sundance, and again, I have never received an e-mail from Gary Sundance.

Quote:
I am asking you both to save us all the aggravation, distress, time and money by doing the right thing! If you choose to continue to ignore my request, I hope the Members will suspect that you may be collaborating with Gary and show their concern by Revoking
their signature authorizing Linda Rapaport to represent them on the Proxy!
I don't know what you think I can do when I've never had any contact with Gary Sundance. If you are referring to Gary's post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarySundance
Sorry about the address information. I was just trying to prove a point to Alan.

I will send it to key people I know directly so that I don't abuse your BB.

I understand your comments and apologize.
I was not one of the "key people" he contacted. Another member did send me an e-mail suggesting the identity of Gary Sundance. I asked for confirmation, but never did receive an e-mail back. I can only surmise that this member guessed at Gary's identity, but didn't have any facts supporting their statement. Since there has been so many inaccurate accusations already (including some in your original post), I can and will only deal in facts now. So, as I said in the beginning, please share your proof with us that I am involved.

While you are clearly very upset about what happened, and I don't blame you, I have to wonder about you attacking Linda and me for this. If you really wanted our help, I would have hoped that you would have sent us a PM (Private Message) asking for our help. I can't speak for Linda, but you have never contacted me other than posting your accusations here (without supporting facts). Your real purpose with this post seems to be trying to steer people away from the facts of what is happening at Costa Linda.

Quote:
To all the Members who have read this, if you want more details, please email me – carlin.alan@gmail.com
I want more details, but only if you have proof. If you do, please be man enough to share your proof with all of us.