Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba In Words > Aruba Tales > Lisa's Box of Treasures

Lisa's Box of Treasures Our jewel at VisitAruba.com - Lisa has many gems to share with you. She has a wealth of information about Aruba - and if she doesn't know, she will find out! :) So, enjoy and ask away!

Old Monday, November 19th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Aruba Expert

LocaLisa is on a distinguished road
Default Sweet 15

This is a story based on true facts. It has been told for many years from generation to generation and there are many versions to it. The red line through all the versions is however the guy meeting the girl at a *quinceañera party, giving her a ride home and then finding out that she had passed away years before.

Sweet 15

He entered the scene on a calm, almost cloudless night. The stars seemed to be closer to the earth than normal. Traffic was the same as every other day, one car in front of him and once in a while another one from the opposite direction. He enjoyed the sound of his Harley Davidson Sportster as he gave some more gas. The party had already started 30 minutes ago and he didn’t want to miss out on too much. He had been working extra hours on his side job at the garage to get his new pair of jeans and jacket. It still smelled of freshly unpacked leather. This “quinceañera” party had been the talk of the town for the last couple of weeks. When he arrived it was already crowded. His friends came up to greet him and asked why he took so long. They had a little talk on the porch and entered the house together. Immediately, he noticed the girl sitting alone on the loveseat in the corner. She was dressed in a bit of an awkward outfit, very outdated, but her beauty took his attention away from it to her face. Her dark curls framed her pale face and when her big dark grey eyes crossed his she blushed a little. He smiled and she shyly smiled back, revealing a most charming dimple on her right cheek. His friend tugged on his jacket and said come on. He didn’t want to but had to go and congratulate the birthday girl who turned 15 and her parents. He quickly went back to the front room looking for the girl. However, she wasn't there anymore. He was disappointed and went back to his friends. It was a great party. The live band put up a terrific show and the catering was exquisite. Feeling a bit tired he decided it was time to leave.

On the way back home the road was empty. Not a single car in sight. He saw a figure standing by a Kwihi tree signing for a lift. He slowed down and recognized the girl from the party. His heart skipped a bit and he excitedly offered her a ride home. The girl happily agreed and smiled. There was that dimple again. She hopped on his motorcycle behind him. He turned his head around to ask where she lived and realized it was quite out of his way, but he didn't mind. She shivered and he asked if she was cold. She nodded and he offered her his brand new jacket which she accepted. When he gave gas and heard the engine rumble she grabbed him tightly on his waist. It was quite a ling ride to the other side of the island, but he enjoyed it.

They arrived at her house which was completely dark. He thought it was odd that no one left a light on for when she returned. He even expected her parents to be waiting up for her to question every bit of him but there was no one. She started taking off the jacket but he immediately stopped her and told her that she shouldn't take it off there and then because she might catch a cold. Additionally, he said that he would gladly come back for it the next day. She was pleased and thanked him wholeheartedly. They said there goodbyes and he waited until she entered the house before he left.

The following day he arrived at the girl's house in the afternoon and saw what seemed to be her parents sitting on the porch. He politely addressed them asking them if he could talk to their daughter. They were stunned by the young man's question. After they had caught heir composure they asked him why. Why was he asking to speak to their daughter? He felt let down by their reaction to his request and politely explained that he gave her a ride home after the “fiesta di quinceañera” in town the previous night. The mother, turning pale said that it was impossible. Her daughter had been dead for some years now. He didn't believe her. He couldn’t believe that they were so reluctant to let him talk to her and would tell him such a lie. Seeing his true disappointment and growing anger they asked him to follow them behind their car. They would show him their daughter’s resting place.

After a short ride they arrived at the public graveyard. He felt apprehensive as he followed them to a set of tombs behind the graveyard chapel. There it was. His jacket, neatly laid over a light grey headstone. He froze and looked at the couple accompanying him. He walked over to the headstone and removed the jacket. He felt a knot in his throat and his neck hairs rising when he saw the same gorgeous eyes staring back at him from the picture on the headstone. His heart sank and he felt the same burning sensation in his stomach. The feeling he got the previous night after seeing her smile, revealing that dimple in her right cheek. He managed to tear his eyes from her face to read the inscription just below it. Her name, birthday and the date of her death. The same as yesterday except for the year. He went pale, looked at her frozen face on the picture once more before turning around to run away toward the gate, leaving his jacket behind.

*A quinceañera party is a celebration for a girl's 15th birthday. It's a big party with all the trimming that we Arubans took over from the Latin Americans. In traditional days it was a way to present the teenage girl to society, being "given away" by her father. Nowadays it's a big party, like a wedding without a marriage, with a live band, catering, expensive dresses, at the most coveted party locations of the moment. The birthday girl and her father open the dance floor by dancing a waltz. Then the father "gives away" his daughter to a dance partner of her own age to dance for the guests accompanied by 14 other couples. These are mostly the peers of the birthday girl: friends, classmates, siblings and relatives. It's a show with studied and rehearsed choreography. After this show the party is officially on.

Last edited by LocaLisa; Monday, November 19th, 2007 at 03:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Monday, November 19th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sweet 15

what a beautiful story lisa.

thank you!
Old Monday, November 19th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Almost Aruban

pgsoder is on a distinguished road

I love that story. So heartwarming.
Old Saturday, October 30th, 2010, 03:26 AM

sailorlady52 is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Sweet 15

I have a similar tale of the openess and consideration of the Aruba people. Last year I rented a cottage on the outskirts of Noord for my annual 1 month visit...in fact I will be staying at the same place for another month starting on 11/22 (ahhh...countdown to paradise).

The next door neighbors were throwing a, forgive me if I mangle this, Quiencierra 15th birthday party and they invited my husband and I to attend. I didn't understand why they would, since we don't speak Dutch, Spanish, or Papiemento, and we were TOTAL strangers! We did wind up going, and had a wonderful time...everyone was so gracious and engaging. It turns out that most of the adults were from Europe and spoke perfect English. Even the children spoke English...we were included in all of the festivities, the fabulous food, and the "toss the birthday girl into the pool" ceremony . I baked a crab dip casserole to contribute to the evening. We had a blast!

This is the type of people you find everywhere in Aruba, and is the reason I keep returning year after year. By the way, anyone reading this should ditch the hotels and find a rental unit with an Aruban family...it reveals more of what you are always looking for when you are on a vacation...fun and relaxation.
Old Saturday, October 30th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

sailorlady, that is lovely. btw, the reason they all spoke english is english is one of 4 languages spoken fluently by all arubans. they are not european if they speak english, they are aruban. there are many arubans who speak more than the 4 languages but all speak dutch, english, papiamento and spanish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorlady52 View Post
I have a similar tale of the openess and consideration of the Aruba people. Last year I rented a cottage on the outskirts of Noord for my annual 1 month visit...in fact I will be staying at the same place for another month starting on 11/22 (ahhh...countdown to paradise).

The next door neighbors were throwing a, forgive me if I mangle this, Quiencierra 15th birthday party and they invited my husband and I to attend. I didn't understand why they would, since we don't speak Dutch, Spanish, or Papiemento, and we were TOTAL strangers! We did wind up going, and had a wonderful time...everyone was so gracious and engaging. It turns out that most of the adults were from Europe and spoke perfect English. Even the children spoke English...we were included in all of the festivities, the fabulous food, and the "toss the birthday girl into the pool" ceremony . I baked a crab dip casserole to contribute to the evening. We had a blast!

This is the type of people you find everywhere in Aruba, and is the reason I keep returning year after year. By the way, anyone reading this should ditch the hotels and find a rental unit with an Aruban family...it reveals more of what you are always looking for when you are on a vacation...fun and relaxation.