Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Timeshare Owners' Corner > La Cabana Resort

La Cabana Resort This Forum is for La Cabana Resort Owners to post/exchange information about their resort. To list PRIVATE rentals,please click here. To list PRIVATE sales, please click here.

Old Thursday, February 14th, 2008, 10:03 PM

vacationcrazy is on a distinguished road
Angry Renovation Assessment???

I am just wondering how many other owners are P.O.'ed about LaCabana's latest bill to us - mine was $2700.00 - for a renovation assessment?? Give us a break - our maintenance fees have gone up several times over the last few years for "renovations". I remember hearing (the first time they went up) that it would only be for 2 years, then the maninenance fee would go back down. Well that didn't happen did it? Lo and behold my maintenance fee went up again this year! And now this assessment for renovations - received in the mail today has really got me ticked off. Who else feels the same way? And does anyone know when (if ever) we will stop getting hit in the wallet?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, February 14th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Renovation Assessment???

i'm afraid to ask this but is that for one week? how big a unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationcrazy View Post
I am just wondering how many other owners are P.O.'ed about LaCabana's latest bill to us - mine was $2700.00 - for a renovation assessment?? Give us a break - our maintenance fees have gone up several times over the last few years for "renovations". I remember hearing (the first time they went up) that it would only be for 2 years, then the maninenance fee would go back down. Well that didn't happen did it? Lo and behold my maintenance fee went up again this year! And now this assessment for renovations - received in the mail today has really got me ticked off. Who else feels the same way? And does anyone know when (if ever) we will stop getting hit in the wallet?
Old Friday, February 15th, 2008, 06:03 PM

vacationcrazy is on a distinguished road

Yup, for 1 week. It's for a 2 bedroom "E" unit. Pretty good, huh? LaCabana is graciously allowing us to pay the $2700 over three years, so kind of them. Our one week timeshare vacation is now costing us about $500.00 more to own then it would if we just rented the room. I find that just amazing.
Old Friday, February 15th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Administrator

my opinion is that it is disgusting. i have never heard of an assessment that high and for so much in so short a time.

Quote:
Yup, for 1 week. It's for a 2 bedroom "E" unit. Pretty good, huh? LaCabana is graciously allowing us to pay the $2700 over three years, so kind of them. Our one week timeshare vacation is now costing us about $500.00 more to own then it would if we just rented the room. I find that just amazing.
Old Friday, February 15th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Aruba Expert

qlaval is on a distinguished road

That's unbelievable...
$2,700 for one week = $140,400.00 per room!
What are they planing to do with so much money?

I own at the Ocean Club and there will be a special assessment also.
They will redo almost all the resort for $15,000,000.00 and the cost per room is gone be $52,000.00....
($1,000 per week in two special yearly assessments of $500)

Are you sure about your numbers?
Old Saturday, February 16th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Almost Aruban

Liz from N.J. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am also a owner of a 2 bedroom "E" unit at the BRC. Far worse, I own 6 units at The Aruban Resort. I'm hearing $3K assessment (or more) for a 1 bedroom unit and that they are not giving the option to pay over 3 years as the BRC is. That's $18K plus for The Aruban and $2,700. for the BRC. Should I shoot myself now!
Old Saturday, February 16th, 2008, 01:19 AM

JanetB is on a distinguished road

If you multiply these assessments out by 52 weeks, it's an incredible amount of money - does this renovation include gold-plated toilets or something???
Old Saturday, February 16th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Aruba Expert

Kent is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: Renovation Assessment???

Timeshare used to have a bad name. If they start that up, Its going to have a bad name again. I own 30 timeshares and I only had to pay 1 special assesment and that was $300 at Marriott on Hilton Head last year. I hope it stayes that way. Kent
Old Monday, February 18th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Aruba Expert

Old Monday, February 18th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Administrator

is that the ren?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlaval View Post
Old Monday, February 18th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Aruba Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
is that the ren?
If you meant the Renaissance?
No it is the La Cabana detailled assessment that some owners there could find usefull.
Old Tuesday, February 19th, 2008, 07:40 PM

dcarton03 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm new to the site, but I'm so happy to see there are others who've had the same reaction as me - the new maintenance fees and the assessment are unbelievable! What kills me is that there is nothing to do about it.

I do have another question for LaCabana owners - does anyone have their maintenance fee due date set to their original signing date - Meaning they don't have to pay it on December 15?
Old Wednesday, February 20th, 2008, 09:33 PM

arbor45 is on a distinguished road

Are some of you actually surprised at the Assessment? if yes, this is very old news. Did you VOTE? I did! Against it! Not enough people voted! If you didn't, you can't complain. If I misread some of these, sorry. scott
Old Thursday, February 21st, 2008, 12:16 PM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

These those are the increases for LaCabana that Sherry has posted. I have to pay $1,044, but I can do it over 3 years. The money is to go to renovating the units. I, too, would like to know where the maintenance has been going for the last 7 years. And the "renovations" are still no-where as nice as the AMBR or even my room in the DR. My 1 BR is very small for a $550 annual maintenance fee PLUS $348 a year. I am not happy. I would sell the darn thing if I could get anything for it!
I did vote, Scott!

Old Thursday, February 21st, 2008, 12:59 PM
Aruba Expert

LynnS is on a distinguished road

Look at your contract- does it state anything about assesments? If so is there a maximum amount. I have a timeshare-not LaCab-and my contract states a 1 time asses. in 10 yrs. not to exceed a certain amount.
Old Friday, March 7th, 2008, 04:00 PM

chs4 is on a distinguished road

Found some additional photos of the renovated model rooms for anyone that is interested: La Cabana Renovations

I say additional since there are a few available on the official La Cabana site.

The assessment is certainly steep, but it looks like the work they are doing may be worth it in the long run.

Old Friday, March 7th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Aruba Expert

LynnS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs4 View Post
Found some additional photos of the renovated model rooms for anyone that is interested: La Cabana Renovations

I say additional since there are a few available on the official La Cabana site.

The assessment is certainly steep, but it looks like the work they are doing may be worth it in the long run.

I can't begin to imagine what they could do for $2700. per unit,per week. Yes-I did look at the pictures and No Way!!!!!!
Old Friday, March 7th, 2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS View Post
[/b]

I can't begin to imagine what they could do for $2700. per unit,per week. Yes-I did look at the pictures and No Way!!!!!!
It's not $2,700 per unit across the board...check the assessment charts posted above. The most expensive is $2,610 for a 2BR Deluxe and out of 800+ rooms it looks like there are only a total of 12 in the whole resort.

A 1BR @ $1,044 x 52 = $54,288 (assuming no one takes the discount)

Don't know where you live or if you've done any remodeling recently, but here in the Northeast that's not an outrageous amount of money for the scope of work being done. I can only imagine the additional costs involved with building/renovating on an island.

And at the end of the day, they're adding value (how much remains to be seen, I admit) to the owners property. Remember too that not all of that money is going to room renovations...some of it is earmarked for the lobby and other public areas.

I'm not saying it's not a tough pill to swallow, especially if you own multiple units or multiple weeks. I just don't think the overall total they are collecting through this assessment is excessive based on the work being done.

Apparently I'm in the minority...

Old Saturday, March 8th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Almost Aruban

pgsoder is on a distinguished road

CHS-not over 800 units anymore since Villa's (The Aruban) is no longer a part of the BRC. Just there last week and NO work going on yet. Only units that are completed are the ones 420 A B & C, as those are the ones they are showing the owners.

Last edited by pgsoder; Saturday, March 8th, 2008 at 08:40 AM.
Old Saturday, March 8th, 2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
not over 800 units anymore since Villa's (The Aruban) is no longer a part of the BRC
Thanks for the correction. I didn't realize that number included both properties.

Old Saturday, March 8th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Almost Aruban

pgsoder is on a distinguished road

Chip, I just did a quick count from layout on their website and it is close to 443 or 444 units at BRC. So in that case I guess the assessment is probably fair. If the owners pay early they get a small discount, like $1044 down to around $984.