Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Monday, February 14th, 2011, 02:12 AM
Aruba Expert

charlescroes is on a distinguished road
Default What To Do When Lost On Aruba?

While Aruba is relatively small, people get lost here all the time, including locals by the way. I used to carry little maps and all sort of stuff to get me back on track and then it dawned on me that it is really pretty simple to get back on track.

If you are on the populated (Southern) coastline and can't figure out which way is the hotel zone just point the car to the ocean and drive to the right. That will get you back. If you are on the north coast and cant figure it out then just drive until you hit a road that goes to the inland and take it. Once inland then look for our only large mountain - Hooi-Berg' - drive towards it and look for main roads. They HAVE TO BE THERE since the cross both sides of the Hooi-Berg. This area of the island is higher and you will be able to see the hotels from here. Just point yourself in their direction and go go go .

However, I recommend staying lost. It is a delightful experience.

be well
charles
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Monday, February 14th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Aruba Expert

droykelly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What To Do When Lost On Aruba?

Very true. There have been many times that I've asked "Okay, where's the water?" Once we find the water, we can always find out way back to our timeshare!

I will not sit on the porch and watch life go by without participating!
Old Monday, February 14th, 2011, 10:08 AM

coconut is on a distinguished road

Hey Charles: I've had you as a co-pilot / navigator. I think you really enjoy being lost. You had me doing car tricks, and multiple round a bouts.
However, your directions to the Post Office were spot on. You going to the meet tonight? 5:00 at the Amsterdam Manor? Hope to see you there. Modem works great, by the way. All equipment is performing as promised. Thanx! again.
Old Monday, February 14th, 2011, 10:42 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

This reminds me of my first days in Aruba quite a while back. Daphne had this tiny car and we used to go absolutely everywhere and anywhere with it, poor car. She'd take me to see the most visited areas of course, all the famous sights, but on occasion we'd purposely wander off the beaten track, especially when an intriguing road or track appeared. Sometimes we'd just end up getting stared at by goats in the middle of nowhere. I still find myself doing that to this day, its the best way to get to know Aruba, and one is surprised how many interesting places and sights there are out there, even on a small island, that are completely new, and which would otherwise be missed, especially if in a rush. As Charles said, staying lost is delightful and definitely lets you find more of Aruba.

Mark
Old Monday, February 14th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Aruba Expert

charlescroes is on a distinguished road

Nice post amigo. I like to hear this kind of thing from other Arubians. I am convinced that it gives our visitors a more intimate look at our little rock.
be wellcharles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
This reminds me of my first days in Aruba quite a while back. Daphne had this tiny car and we used to go absolutely everywhere and anywhere with it, poor car. She'd take me to see the most visited areas of course, all the famous sights, but on occasion we'd purposely wander off the beaten track, especially when an intriguing road or track appeared. Sometimes we'd just end up getting stared at by goats in the middle of nowhere. I still find myself doing that to this day, its the best way to get to know Aruba, and one is surprised how many interesting places and sights there are out there, even on a small island, that are completely new, and which would otherwise be missed, especially if in a rush. As Charles said, staying lost is delightful and definitely lets you find more of Aruba.

Mark
Old Monday, February 14th, 2011, 04:40 PM

coconut is on a distinguished road

Fortunately, Aruba is one Island where you can have no fear, of being lost. There are hundreds of tragic stories out there, about people being lost (On other Caribbean Islands) and not returning home. Literally, getting caught in crossfire. I anticipate being lost on Aruba, and finding a great local place to eat. I was born and bled (Bred) on the NYC streets. I know to watch my surroundings. I have never felt threatened on Aruba. I refuse to go to an Island where I am advised to not leave the resort. I enjoy meeting the locals. I find it broadens my horizons, to learn about other cultures. Thats why I travel. Better yet, thats why I travel to Aruba. I like it here.