Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba Restaurant Reviews

Aruba Restaurant Reviews For new aruba restaurants reviews or to post a new review click here. To view archived reviews click here.

View Poll Results: Old Fisherman
poor 0 0%
average 1 10.00%
good 1 10.00%
very good 3 30.00%
excellent 5 50.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old Tuesday, June 14th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Old Fisherman

Old Fisherman

tell us what you think. vote and/or write a comment.
Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, June 14th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Old Fisherman

i was actually tempted to not list this place because it is such a find and loved by locals. 5 of us went to dinner there. we all had their fish platters. murray and i had wahoo and it was $14 and the others had grouper i think which was $12 for the main course. my addition at this restaurant now is the tray of what i suppose is their version of johnny cake with gouda melted on it. it's served in place of bread and i want the recipe. i also want a tray of it to eat every day for the rest of my life, lol.
Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, June 14th, 2005, 04:23 PM

murray is on a distinguished road

This restaurant is located directly across the street from the numismatic museum near the bus station. Their food was excellant, the service was good and the price was very reasonable...this could become my favorite seafood place. Thank you Elaine S. for recommending it!!
Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, June 14th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Old Fisherman

You're very welcome Murray S. This is my favorite spot... I hope it doesn't get too popular!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by murray
This restaurant is located directly across the street from the numismatic museum near the bus station. Their food was excellant, the service was good and the price was very reasonable...this could become my favorite seafood place. Thank you Elaine S. for recommending it!!
Old Tuesday, June 14th, 2005, 06:21 PM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

Guys - I am not a big fish eater. Do they also have shrimp, crab or lobster?

Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, June 14th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Administrator

to be honest i don't remember. the menu was rather limited. just a small local place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrine
Guys - I am not a big fish eater. Do they also have shrimp, crab or lobster?
Share with Facebook
Old Saturday, March 4th, 2006, 04:22 PM

Theresa is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Old Fisherman

The Food And Service Are Good I Like It When We Could East Outside Which I Like To Do Even If Not On The Water. But We Will Go Back.theresa
Share with Facebook
Old Saturday, March 4th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

I ate here a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, no more outside seating. They took away the porch and made the restaurant larger. Food was just as wonderful, prices a few dollars more, service ~ wonderful. It's basically a place for locals..
Old Sunday, March 12th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Aruba Expert

ArubaMary is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: Old Fisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine S
You're very welcome Murray S. This is my favorite spot... I hope it doesn't get too popular!!!
Taking Elaine's advice, I dined at the Old Fisherman. The service was excellent and the meals very good. The prices of the meals was moderate. I will definitely return to the Old Fisherman and will recommend it to friends.
Share with Facebook
Old Monday, April 10th, 2006, 07:41 PM

Sherry S is on a distinguished road
Default The Old Fisherman & The Driftwood

The old fisherman is located just outside the bus depot. I heard the cornbread was great so we went for lunch only to find out they only serve cornbread at night. The waiter had the kitchen make us up a special basket of it at no charge. He told us that we couldn't get the dipping sauce (I think it was cheese) but it was excellent without it. Wish we would have gone when we first arrived so we could have gone back at night.

We ate at the Driftwood 2 times while we were in Aruba. Excellent food and service except they tried to overcharge us once. We had lobster and grouper - both worth every cent.
Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, August 9th, 2006, 03:36 PM

datasmom is on a distinguished road

The Old Fisherman is excellent, both food and service. Plentiful and the price is reasonable. They do have shrimp. When I was last there cornbread was not served. Sounds good. Will try it.
Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, February 21st, 2007, 12:55 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

I Love Aruba The Old Fisherman

Especially for you, sherry - food was as good as always. Service was very prompt and attentive. New craze in drinks is apple martini, and one of our group told the bartender what ingredients are needed since he started going through his recipe book and it wasn't there. I'm sure we'll go back again!
Old Wednesday, February 21st, 2007, 01:33 PM
Aruba Expert

LynnS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Old Fisherman

Is this restaurant in town? One that was involved in the fire? Thanks
Old Wednesday, February 21st, 2007, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Default Re: The Old Fisherman

lynn, yes it is. i am so thrilled it is open again. their food was excellent and i missed it. we had plans to go there for dinner one night and i got a call from a friend to tell me it had burned the night before. sad for me but obviously worse for the owners. it is great that they found a way to reopen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS View Post
Is this restaurant in town? One that was involved in the fire? Thanks
Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, February 21st, 2007, 07:29 PM
Aruba Expert

LynnS is on a distinguished road

Thanks Sherry. Good to hear that they were able to reopen. Will add them to my list.
Old Thursday, August 16th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Last year, the day before our reservation, old fisherman had a fire. They were only out of commission for a week or so but by then we were gone. Whenever we go to aruba, murray and I go on the great wahoo hunt. Today I started calling seafood places and on our 2nd call we found it at old fisherman. I am so glad it was there. The first reason is their ‘bread basket’ which is actually little flat corn bread cubes topped with shredded gouda. We are addicted to them. We then topped it off by sharing a small Caesar salad and both had wahoo for dinner. Murray had his with creole sauce and I had mine in meuniere (sp) sauce. Both were wonderful. The platter comes with rice, dutch potatoes, fried plantain and a little greens salad. With a beverage each the total was $44 before tip. Another 10 out of 10 restaurant.
Share with Facebook
Old Monday, August 20th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Administrator

yes, we went back for more! the menu was almost the same except for one major thing. i asked them if i could try their fishcakes as an appetizer. i really didn't want to order it as a main course since that was way too much of an unknown and most fish cakes are terribly oily and taste like strong fish. they accomodated me and i must say it will be on my list for next year. little fried fish balls (no laughing allowed). if you go there for nothing else, you need to try their version of pan bati. they serve it instead of bread and it is awesome. i want to make a meal of it one day.

the bill, not including tip, was $50. i have yet to have room for dessert in this place.
Share with Facebook
Old Monday, August 20th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Almost Aruban Moderator

I'm so glad you like what was my little "secret" for a long time!! lol

In all these years, I've never had a bad meal there, and they're the most accomdating people in the world!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
yes, we went back for more! the menu was almost the same except for one major thing. i asked them if i could try their fishcakes as an appetizer. i really didn't want to order it as a main course since that was way too much of an unknown and most fish cakes are terribly oily and taste like strong fish. they accomodated me and i must say it will be on my list for next year. little fried fish balls (no laughing allowed). if you go there for nothing else, you need to try their version of pan bati. they serve it instead of bread and it is awesome. i want to make a meal of it one day.

the bill, not including tip, was $50. i have yet to have room for dessert in this place.
Old Friday, November 30th, 2007, 11:46 PM

arubabob is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Old Fisherman

This was the 3rd new to us restaurant we tried this trip. We tried it due to the board recomendations and we are glad we did. Catch of the day was grouper, mahi mahi and wahoo. They will cook it 3 or 4 different ways, your choice. I had the grouper grilled with a cajun sauce and linda had the mahi mahi in a garlic cream sauce. Mine was good, hers was better. I dipped my grouper in her sauce. Wow it was good. We went on a saturday night about 7 without a reservation. There were 2 empty tables and we were seated. Staff was very friendly and attentive. Table next to ours had a jet blue crew. We had a nice conversation with them. The owner came around and the jbc let him know it was lindas birthday. He brought her flan with a lit birthday candle and he and his staff sang happy birthday to linda in english and papiamento. He talked with us a little as well. His name is bahgwuan(sp). a very nice and friendly gentleman. We will definately dine there again.
Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, January 17th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Aruba Expert

Arubalisa is on a distinguished road

Anyone have a copy of their menu?
Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, January 17th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Aruba Expert

barbiesara2003 is on a distinguished road

We have eaten at this great place several times and love it and yes they do have meat and chicken dishes.
Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, January 17th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Almost Aruban

Liz from N.J. is on a distinguished road

Old Fisherman is very pretty inside. Their menu OLD FISHERMAN - MENU
Share with Facebook
Old Monday, March 3rd, 2008, 09:27 AM
Almost Aruban

BigPapa is on a distinguished road

George and I enjoyed this place twice. Prices were good and so was the service. Loved the little cubes of fried bread they bring you.

I am not a big fish eater, but loved there grouper in garlic sauce...the sauce is 2 dollars more but was worth it.

The 2 of us..no drink came to $41.00..before tip.

Dan & Sweet Georgene
Share with Facebook
Old Monday, March 3rd, 2008, 02:32 PM

Larry Moore is on a distinguished road

[quote=sherry;68744]yes, we went back for more! the menu was almost the same except for one major thing. i asked them if i could try their fishcakes as an appetizer. i really didn't want to order it as a main course since that was way too much of an unknown and most fish cakes are terribly oily and taste like strong fish. they accomodated me and i must say it will be on my list for next year. little fried fish balls (no laughing allowed). if you go there for nothing else, you need to try their version of pan bati. they serve it instead of bread and it is awesome. i want to make a meal of it one day.
I checked out the OLD FISHERMAN post thinking they were talking about me or other older die hard wanna be's like myself ,but nope just as Sherry said something about Old Fisherman's little fried fish balls. Can you explain to me how in the world they can do that...As long as I have fished Ive never seen any...Am I missing something

Share with Facebook
Old Monday, March 3rd, 2008, 03:32 PM
Administrator

larry, believe me, they make little fish balls and they come from little fish, and you will love them, lol. i'll have to ask darcy if they remind her of anything. oops, shame...better stop since this is a pg-13 board.

[quote=Larry Moore;75672]
Quote:
I checked out the OLD FISHERMAN post thinking they were talking about me or other older die hard wanna be's like myself ,but nope just as Sherry said something about Old Fisherman's little fried fish balls. Can you explain to me how in the world they can do that...As long as I have fished Ive never seen any...Am I missing something
Share with Facebook
Old Monday, March 3rd, 2008, 03:56 PM

Now Sherry, You've been lied too, no such thing....Now if I venture into the "Old Fisherman" to eat and asked if they have little fish balls (recommended by Sherry,) who's going to be thrown out "ME" then darcy will divorce me, take my home, leave me with nothing....but you can asked her Im a big fish......

[quote=sherry;75676]larry, believe me, they make little fish balls and they come from little fish, and you will love them, lol. i'll have to ask darcy if they remind her of anything. oops, shame...better stop since this is a pg-13 board.

Share with Facebook
Old Monday, March 3rd, 2008, 04:32 PM
Administrator

it is one of restaurants we plan to visit this trip. i promised the cook a trade of my home made salmon croquets for her home made fish cakes/balls. who knows, maybe she will show them to you too.

[quote=Larry Moore;75678]Now Sherry, You've been lied too, no such thing....Now if I venture into the "Old Fisherman" to eat and asked if they have little fish balls (recommended by Sherry,) who's going to be thrown out "ME" then darcy will divorce me, take my home, leave me with nothing....but you can asked her Im a big fish......

Quote:
larry, believe me, they make little fish balls and they come from little fish, and you will love them, lol. i'll have to ask darcy if they remind her of anything. oops, shame...better stop since this is a pg-13 board.
Share with Facebook
Old Monday, March 3rd, 2008, 04:53 PM

Sounds like Id like to try this place.. Were both fish eaters, she like's to keep it common but as for myself Im one to try anything, if it has fins, feathers, or hoof's, bring it on..... as long as there's enough brewski's to wash it down..... Just tell me how to get there!

Share with Facebook
Old Monday, March 3rd, 2008, 04:56 PM
Administrator

we will make plans and i will give you directions before we leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Moore View Post
Sounds like Id like to try this place.. Were both fish eaters, she like's to keep it common but as for myself Im one to try anything, if it has fins, feathers, or hoof's, bring it on..... as long as there's enough brewski's to wash it down..... Just tell me how to get there!
Share with Facebook
Old Monday, March 3rd, 2008, 05:56 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Small fish balls??? Do they have large ones, too?? Somehow or other, doesn't sound appetizing to me, but I'm a shy one kinda like Larry, and would probably get hysterical laughing if I had to order them.

I ate here two weeks ago, and it's as good as ever. My little secret place sure isn't secret any more, although I went late, and it wasn't crowded. However, I did make reservations.

This is one restaurant that's always on my "must do" list.
Old Monday, March 3rd, 2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine S View Post
Small fish balls??? Do they have large ones, too?? Somehow or other, doesn't sound appetizing to me, but I'm a shy one kinda like Larry, and would probably get hysterical laughing if I had to order them.

I ate here two weeks ago, and it's as good as ever. My little secret place sure isn't secret any more, although I went late, and it wasn't crowded. However, I did make reservations.

This is one restaurant that's always on my "must do" list.
This will be my 2nd trip to aruba, for a full week, sherry let your secert out so its her fault Im going.. If I can get the 2 of them to go with (Sherry and Murray) it would be more fun then when I asked for fish balls, they laff Im pointing my finger to Sherry..." she told me to ask" Might be better than Mountian Oysters, Ya think...

Share with Facebook
Old Monday, March 3rd, 2008, 08:11 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Talking Re: Old Fisherman

I can see myself asking a waiter ~ "do you have fish balls?"
With that I'd be under the table hysterical or he'd smack me!!! lol Hell, I've asked men lots of questions, but that one would be a first!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Moore View Post
This will be my 2nd trip to aruba, for a full week, sherry let your secert out so its her fault Im going.. If I can get the 2 of them to go with (Sherry and Murray) it would be more fun then when I asked for fish balls, they laff Im pointing my finger to Sherry..." she told me to ask" Might be better than Mountian Oysters, Ya think...
Old Monday, March 3rd, 2008, 08:17 PM
Administrator

well, they aren't on the menu. see, what happened was i wanted to try the fish cakes but didn't want them as a meal just in case they were really awful. so i asked if they could make a small portion as an appetizer. she came back from the kitchen and said the cook would be glad to make them but they wouldn't be in cake for, they'd be little balls. ok, so i couldn't keep a straight face but them little balls were delish. dare i say the best i ever tasted.

(am i going to have to delete myself?)

Quote:
With that I'd be under the table hysterical or he'd smack me!!! lol Hell, I've asked men lots of questions, but that one would be a first!!
Share with Facebook
Old Monday, March 3rd, 2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:

You kinda spoiled my plan of attack for Sherry if I could get the 2 of them to go. I had that in the back of my tormented mind but should come up with another good line or two to make it a evening to remember.....Little fish balls, now come on, Wonder how much you get per order... (2) then go get another fish...Poor little fishie's..Id be heading for safer water

Share with Facebook
Old Monday, March 3rd, 2008, 11:16 PM
Aruba Expert

Cooks Restaurant is on a distinguished road

Quote:
well, they aren't on the menu. see, what happened was i wanted to try the fish cakes but didn't want them as a meal just in case they were really awful. so i asked if they could make a small portion as an appetizer. she came back from the kitchen and said the cook would be glad to make them but they wouldn't be in cake for, they'd be little balls. ok, so i couldn't keep a straight face but them little balls were delish. dare i say the best i ever tasted.

(am i going to have to delete myself?)
Hahahahaaaaa.....Please do. I just can not help myself to stop laughing. I am rolling on the floor laughing. I hope when you guys go back to Old Fisherman you can find them balls...fish balls that is.Btw, great restaurant great food.
Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, March 4th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Administrator

even moderators have to have some fun.

remember, if you are not into fish balls, they still have great food, great portions, great prices and as bp said, those little cubes of fried bread with melted gouda are worth the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooks Restaurant View Post
Hahahahaaaaa.....Please do. I just can not help myself to stop laughing. I am rolling on the floor laughing. I hope when you guys go back to Old Fisherman you can find them balls...fish balls that is.Btw, great restaurant great food.
Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, March 4th, 2008, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooks Restaurant View Post
Dear Cooks Restaurant..
Due to the fact Ive never ate them (or seen any) I will be there the end of may to try a few. I really hope there filling and what ever else you may have to offer. My wife says she has tasted some (I think she's fibbing) but would like to try some thats been cooked. She's laughing at me but I dont get it.....Must be some kinda stupid joke.....

Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, August 19th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Administrator

another great meal was had with great friends. better yet, they had wahoo for murray. he and i both started with a caesar salad. yes, he had the wahoo but i decided to try their red snapper so i could compare it with the others we had eaten this trip. it was excellent as was murray's wahoo. we ended the meal with cheese cake and flan. we did compare it with other fish we have had this trip and others and must say that it comes in a close second to cooks but not quite as good.
Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, April 1st, 2009, 11:32 PM

arubaforfamily is on a distinguished road

I'd really like to try this one! Do they have a kids menu?
Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, April 2nd, 2009, 06:54 AM
Administrator

i really don't know but i do know they will accomodate. i would suggest that if they don't, you ask if they can make 1/2 portions or appetizer size. i know i have seen many families eating there which is usually a clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arubaforfamily View Post
I'd really like to try this one! Do they have a kids menu?
Share with Facebook