Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba Restaurant Reviews

Aruba Restaurant Reviews For new aruba restaurants reviews or to post a new review click here. To view archived reviews click here.

View Poll Results: How would you rate this restaurant?
Poor 3 4.29%
Average 7 10.00%
Good 9 12.86%
Very Good 21 30.00%
Excellent 30 42.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old Thursday, June 2nd, 2005, 11:43 PM
Native Aruban (admin)

Daphne is on a distinguished road
Default Flying Fishbone

Flying Fishbone. Seafood Restaurant

Savaneta # 344
Tel.: (297) 5842506
Fax: (297) 5849018

http://www.flyingfishbone.com

Average Price:
Appetizer - US$ 14.00
Main Course - US$ 28.00
Dessert - US$ 9.00

Opening Hours: 5:30 pm - 10 pm, Monday through Saturday.
Closed on Sundays

Credit Cards: AX, V, MC, D

Last edited by Daphne; Monday, June 6th, 2005 at 11:12 AM.
Share with Facebook
Old Friday, June 3rd, 2005, 11:49 AM
Aruba Expert

captmorgnsgrl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Flying Fishbone

This will be our third trip to Aruba, We have never eaten here, but made reservations for this trip on June 22nd. Asked for a table near the water. So I will submit a review on my return in July.

Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, June 7th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

We have eaten at FF for the past four years. Prices are high, no doubt about it. You are paying for the incredible view and atmosphere. However, last year, we thought the quality of the food was greatly improved. Lobster and steak dishes, as well as shrimp in cheese sauce were excellent. Drinks here are excellent too. They don't hurry you out, either. (Believe me, you won't want to leave!)

Desserts are skimpy, but good.

Share with Facebook
Old Monday, June 20th, 2005, 09:00 PM

Darryl is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Flying Fishbone

We have eaten here only once...so perhaps this isn't a fair evaluation. But....for the prices they charge...we shouldn't have to put up with dogs and cats roaming the 'dining room'!! I had the surprise of my visit when, shortly after the waitperson had put glasses of water on the table, I felt as if my leg had been 'watered' by one of the passing puppies!! I nearly jumped off my chair!!! Only to notice that the water glass had 'sweated' through the slats in the table top and the water droplets had dripped down my leg!!!!
Aside from that, it is only the location, in my opinion that 'makes' this place what it is...the food is 'ok'..nothing to rave about!! But...again, I'll be the first to agree that we are entitled to our opinions. One man's trash is another man's fortune!!

Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, June 23rd, 2005, 12:13 AM

thrix is on a distinguished road

We have used this restaurant several times as our romantic last evening in Aruba. It is a very nice experience.
Share with Facebook
Old Monday, June 27th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Almost Aruban

kevin d is on a distinguished road

This was where we celebrated our engagement, and where we enjoyed our romantic honeymoon evening. It's a great location, the food is good but a bit overpriced imo - as Corrine said, the price includes the view. No complaints about dogs/cats, but bugs can be an issue (they provide bug spray). Here's the view from our table:
Old Wednesday, July 6th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin d
This was where we celebrated our engagement, and where we enjoyed our romantic honeymoon evening. It's a great location, the food is good but a bit overpriced imo - as Corrine said, the price includes the view. No complaints about dogs/cats, but bugs can be an issue (they provide bug spray). Here's the view from our table:
Wow, that's some picture! Kevin, can you PM me with what I need to do? I can't remember my user name for myfishingpictures and I have a picture to post of Jamie.
Thanks

Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, July 20th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Aruba Expert

captmorgnsgrl is on a distinguished road

Well we made reservation for 5:30 and were seated at a table at the waters edge. I mean in the water...it was fantastic. I had the special of the day which was grouper with a wonderful hollandaise type of sauce, delicous. Hubby had the same...it was wonderful.. We were there for about two hours and the sunset was fantastic!

Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, February 2nd, 2006, 02:52 PM

beshannon is on a distinguished road

Well worth the trip. Food and setting were excellent. I am looking forward to going back again this year.
Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, March 22nd, 2006, 11:11 PM

Calvin is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Flying Fishbone

Wonderful ambiance, but a good ways out of the way. Excellenct service, but the menu is somewhat limited. Food was very good, but the experience was outstanding. You have to give it a try!
Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, August 3rd, 2006, 01:14 PM

OOGIERULES is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: Flying Fishbone

Does anyone know how far in advance the Flying Fishbone will accept reservations?

Thanks!

Share with Facebook
Old Friday, August 4th, 2006, 07:49 AM

carlaw is on a distinguished road

We made reservations in February for our July trip. The sooner you reserve the better table you will receive. It was a wonderful experience. I recommend it to everyone.
Share with Facebook
Old Friday, August 4th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Almost Aruban

Best advice is to call or email them directly for your answer - FF's contact info is in the original post in this thread. Bon apetit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOGIERULES
Does anyone know how far in advance the Flying Fishbone will accept reservations?

Thanks!
Old Saturday, September 16th, 2006, 06:23 PM

joyce perazella is on a distinguished road

We've eaten at the Flying Fishbone every trip (twice a year) at least once while in Aruba, always been very good and I would recommend it to anyone who is willing to travel at least 20 minutes or more depending on where your hotel is..they should get someone that plays better music though..the sax player is awful..I look the other way when he comes to our table so he will go to someone else..got to go a ways to beat the music at MJ's.. Sweet Caroline!!!Laa..laa..laa
Share with Facebook
Old Sunday, September 17th, 2006, 10:42 PM

Joann71 is on a distinguished road

Okay - I was counting this restaurant out since it seems like more of a romantic setting for couples and I am going to Aruba with a friend. But - after looking at the menu everything sounds so good I think we might have to go anyway!

Share with Facebook
Old Monday, September 18th, 2006, 06:22 PM

joyce perazella is on a distinguished road

Yes..Joann..you have to eat there it's one of the best restaurants in Aruba if you like scallops they make them superb with some sauce that is to die for I practically lick the plate!!
Share with Facebook
Old Sunday, September 24th, 2006, 09:05 AM

Bostonian is on a distinguished road

We went to the FF 6 years ago. I thought it was overpriced for the food you rec'd, but after reading the posts here I think we will give them another shot. Thanks Guys!
Old Monday, September 25th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Almost Aruban

I would agree with that opinion - the food is a bit overpriced, but FF is still worth the trip now and then just for the experience.
Old Monday, October 16th, 2006, 12:09 PM

idahochick is on a distinguished road

You cannot beat the ambiance at this restaurant!! The dishes we ordered were delicious. I ordered the beef tip and have to say it's among the best I've ever had. Our reservations were for 5:30, but we were forewarned to get there early and arrived just after 5:00. We had to wait in the bar area until they began seating at 5:30 but as we were the third people to arrive, we were able to get one of the tables in the water and were able to eat with our toes in the water and the sand. The sunset was gorgeous, and we were treated to a viewing of a lightning storm over Venezuela which was beautiful. Fantastic restaurant!!
Share with Facebook
Old Saturday, October 21st, 2006, 12:13 AM

Sunshine is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Re: Flying Fishbone

I was very disappointed when we ate here. First we couldn't find the place since their directions were wrong -- the police made them get rid of the VW bug that is posted in their directions. The ambiance is nice, but not for the quality of food, which was substandard compared to 10 years of going to other Aruban restaurants. The price of the food is high as well. Some people were quite uncomfortable with their chairs at odd angles until they finally got them deep enough in the sand because the tables closest to the shore are on a slope. For those of you eating by the water, if it is high tide, make sure you can roll up your pants or wear nice panties when you hike up your skirt when the water comes in. We saw a few guests request to be relocated after getting wet a few too many times. And one final warning -- do not use the bathroom. It was disqusting and my hands smelled like toilet water after I washed them in the sink.
Share with Facebook
Old Saturday, October 21st, 2006, 05:03 PM

Darryl is on a distinguished road

Sunshine: Seems that you and we are in the minority about Flying Fishbone. We agree...once there is enough.

Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, March 22nd, 2007, 04:21 PM

SuzyVA is on a distinguished road

This place is amazing!! We make sure we go there every year when we're in Aruba. The ambiance is perfect. Great food and wonderful service. Haven't been there for a sunset, but the lit water is great, and if you're lucky, you'll get a visit from the neighbor's dog. Never bothersome, just there and will lay on the sand and you can pet him if you want. Great place!!!
Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, June 5th, 2007, 06:02 PM

Chrisinhouston is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Flying Fishbone

Ate lunch there today. It was nice but the staff was a bit unattentive. I waited by the bar and a guy finally came up and said I could sit anywhere so I did. I chose a table in the middle between the water and the building in the shade of a palm tree. Ordered a glass of white wine and the corn and crab soup which was really quite nice. Service was a bit slow and eventually I had a second glass of wine and the main course came out and it was quite good. A nice pan seared piece or 3 of Mahi Mahi over a nice mixed salad. No bread or anything was offered but it all hit the spot and filled me up. Got to watch several ships head in towards the Valero facility.

A bit pricey but I figured lunch was cheaper then dinner and it was my one lunch out since I got here as I have mostly been having sandwhiches or salads in my room or on the beach.
Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, June 5th, 2007, 07:13 PM

Cathy in Boston is on a distinguished road

Count me as one of the unimpressed. Nice atmosphere, but for the prices they charge, the quality of the food just isn't there.
Share with Facebook
Old Sunday, June 24th, 2007, 07:42 PM

Ben and Kim is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy in Boston View Post
Count me as one of the unimpressed. Nice atmosphere, but for the prices they charge, the quality of the food just isn't there.
Ditto... My husband had the Wahoo and it was pasty and "off" tasting. I had the rib eye, it tasted like a steak cook at a seafood restaurant.

The crab salad, corn/crab soup, and creme brulee were amazing.

Service was terrific until they got busy. We waited for ever for our dessert and our check.
Old Wednesday, June 27th, 2007, 08:01 AM

ARUBA777 is on a distinguished road

good food, prices are alittle steep, very romantic setting
Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, July 3rd, 2007, 12:31 PM

Love F&B is on a distinguished road

Very casual Romantic setting with your table on the beach and your feet touching the water. Very good tasting food, but prices are way too steep. I can sympathize with some of the comments already made.
Share with Facebook
Old Saturday, July 28th, 2007, 05:04 PM

aaahruba is on a distinguished road

We ate here for the first time during our last trip to Aruba in October of 2006. Idyllic atomosphere - absolutely perfect in that respect. Our food was high priced and just ok. I can't even recall what we got right now (not a good sign....ask me what I had at Gasparito and I can tell you every little detail), but mine had an odd off-taste to it. Service was friendly but slow. We won't be going back this year - there are too many other excellent places to get to.
Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, July 31st, 2007, 06:12 PM

jimbob is on a distinguished road

Best the island has to offer.
Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, July 29th, 2008, 10:23 AM

Gizmo is on a distinguished road

This was hands down our FAVORITE!
Share with Facebook
Old Sunday, January 25th, 2009, 08:15 PM

Sunbum is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Flying Fishbone

We were not impressed and will not be going back. Too many other great restuarants on the Island to put put up with middle of the road.
Share with Facebook
Old Friday, October 30th, 2009, 02:31 AM

SunSeeker is on a distinguished road

Good restaurant. The food is very good and looks great. The environment is special and with a little luck you have the nicest sunset directly at your table.
Fliying Fishbone is not the best restaurant on the Island. But if there is any top 10 list.. they have a spot somewhere on this list.
Old Thursday, December 3rd, 2009, 07:53 AM
Aruba Expert

th7799 is on a distinguished road

Wow, what a disappointment Flying Fishbone was this year......have they changed ownership or management? If indeed the same owners have this restaurant it's really gone downhill.

Flying Fishbone has been one of those restaurants that we go to on each of our trips to Aruba. We have traditionally made the reservations months in advance just to get the perfect table for the sunset.

On this trip, we arrived at 5:00 and had a table a couple of rows off the water. Disappointing.....

We each ordered a cocktail and the one man in the group received his martini and the three women were not served drinks for another ten or fifteen minutes. We actually had to remind them to bring the other three drinks. Disappointing....

We ordered dinner and appetizers and waited patiently for them to arrive. It took longer than usual, but they did finally arrive. The mushroom/shrimp soup was really good. Not disappointing.....

The dinner arrived and the wahoo was overcooked and the veal saltimbocca resembled veal jerky. It was so overcooked it couldn't be eaten even after trying to use the small amount of sauce to moisten it. I'm not a person who typically sends food back, but this could not be eaten and someone needed to know about it. Very disappointing......

The server was not in a very good mood and she kept making snippy comments to us each time we asked for something. She was obviously having a very bad day. When I told her about the veal, she rolled her eyes and grabbed it from the table.

She then came back to the table and offered to provide me with dessert. When I declined she told me that the manager would be really mad if I didn't take the dessert that was compliments of the restaurant. By this point, we just wanted to get the heck out of there. We just wanted our check!!! She brought the check and asked me to fill out a comment card.

Well, maybe we really didn't want the check...... I reviewed the total check and found that they had charged me $18.50 for a mimosa. Hear me say a mimosa! The champagne flute had orange juice with a "splash" of champagne. What a rip-off. At this point, I felt totally hosed and knew for sure we would never return to Flying Fishbone.

The server asked me to hand her the comment card and I did tell her I would prefer to give it to the manager personally. At that point, she sent the manager to our table. I related this story to him and he had an answer for everything. The server was the best one he had and he couldn't believe that she would "be like that", the fish was prepared for us, the veal was the finest, and the mimosa had "real" champagne. (as opposed to fake) This was not acceptable and added to our already terrible experience.

Needless to say, we are not planning to go back. I hate to take Flying Fishbone off the annual list, but that's what happens when service is so bad and food is terrible.

T
Share with Facebook