Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Tuesday, August 24th, 2010, 01:14 AM

clarabell is on a distinguished road
Default arubafastphones.com bait and switch?

We are bringing a GSM Triband phone for our impending trip. On our last visit in 2003, we found www.arubafastphones.com with Charles to be good and checked out their rates for a SIMS card. Here is what was posted on the site:
Cell Phone Rental in Aruba since 2001

Best Cellular Phone Rental Rates in Aruba!

CELLPHONES
  • One week: $50.00 includes 84 minutes
  • After seventh day: $3.00 per day
  • Less than seven days: $8.00 per day (does not include air time)
SIM CARDS
  • $10 each including 24 minutes of calls to the USA
  • Extra airtime: 24 cents per minute
Aruba FastPhone is located at the airport, just outside the Arrivals Hall

I sent in a reservation for the $10 sim card. Iris answered that they no longer had a kiosk at the airport (but would bring the card to our hotel) and that the cost was $35 for 84 minutes. I responded that I wanted the $10 card advertised on their site. Again, she reiterated that they only had $35 cards and that she hasn't had time to update her site. Oh, and by the way, it is cash only when she arrives.

From searches on this site and others, I have found out that the kiosk at the airport has been closed since Feb. That is 7 months to change a website! And now arubafastphones.com won't honor their advertised price either. Frankly I feel this a highly deceptive business practice and that I am being baited and switched.

We have enjoyed Aruba several times partially because we have never felt we were getting ripped off like in Mexico or Europe. Has the Island changed that much? This is leaving a very bad taste in my mouth.

Where else can I buy a preliminary (not refill) Sim card? I appreciate in advance any direction on procuring the card and any comments about how to avoid getting ripped off on the island.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook