Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Monday, November 8th, 2010, 01:47 PM

arubabob is on a distinguished road
Smile BIG waves at Bucuti!!

Wow, just looked at bucuti cam and those waves look huge. Whats going on today?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Monday, November 8th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Aruba Expert

Eagle-Beach Boy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: BIG waves at Bucuti!!

The live streaming Cam is great.
Bucuti Cam :: Aruba

Old Monday, November 8th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: BIG waves at Bucuti!!

I don't think I've ever seen the water that far up on the beach. Wow.. look how close the water is to the huts!

A couple years ago there was beach erosion from the currents, and palm trees and huts were literally floating by... Mother nature's wonderful, and the beaches will ultimately regenerate, but this is sad.
Old Monday, November 8th, 2010, 04:54 PM

Tina from Sweden is on a distinguished road

Last year in december there were very big waves around Manchebo. Take a look at my pictures. A hole bunch of boys surfed all day. Looked a lot of fun. I have never seen such big waves.

hugs to you

Tina
Old Monday, November 8th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Aruba Expert

ArubaMary is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine S View Post
I don't think I've ever seen the water that far up on the beach. Wow.. look how close the water is to the huts!

A couple years ago there was beach erosion from the currents, and palm trees and huts were literally floating by... Mother nature's wonderful, and the beaches will ultimately regenerate, but this is sad.
I hope the sand will be refurbished also, but seeing what happens with beach erosion in New England and remembering what the beach in front of ABC looked like 25 years ago (huge) we know that with every strong current that Aruba has experienced in the past few years, some of the sand does not return. I'd like to be wrong on this one.
Old Monday, November 8th, 2010, 09:07 PM

arubabob is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: BIG waves at Bucuti!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArubaMary View Post
I hope the sand will be refurbished also, but seeing what happens with beach erosion in New England and remembering what the beach in front of ABC looked like 25 years ago (huge) we know that with every strong current that Aruba has experienced in the past few years, some of the sand does not return. I'd like to be wrong on this one.
5 or 6 years ago the beach across the street from Divi Village was completely gone. There was water up to the rocks and a big gap in the area with no sand. In two years it was back even better. So there is hope for CDM.
Old Saturday, November 13th, 2010, 03:44 PM

johntheott is on a distinguished road

My wife and I were in Aruba last week staying at the Divi. It was not a good week weather wise! Flying down on Sunday, we were treated to a massive cloud formation to the East of us as we neared the island with clouds in the distance piled up, it seemed, as high as we were, pretty sure it was Tomas!! We arrived on time and checked in.

The sky was a thin overcast with the sun peeking through and this was the rule for any sun we got that week. There were some periods of bright sun but that was very unusual, The sea was quiet the early part of the week through Thursday and we did get some beach time between days of drizzle and periods of tropical rain. Something we haven't seen before was the Venezuelan coast visible from the beach. Normally you have to go to the other end of the island to see it.

Thursday night the surf started to build and by Friday morning was in full swing! Large breakers were battering the beach! I estimate some a high as 8 or 9 feet. There were some brave people venturing into the surf but they were getting tossed about and many quit and retired to their lounges. There was a group of island people surfing off of Casa del Mar next door with mixed success. The water line was slowly creeping up towards the resort as the sand disappeared. This continued all day with mostly clouded skies and scattered showers! There were some large squalls off shore with much thunder as well.

Saturday, the surf continued, down somewhat to about 5 or 6 foot waves but the damage was considerable! We had friends that walked the beach up to Costa Linda and they said that the beach was mostly gone from Casa del Mar to the North, Many palapas down or gone and rocks everywhere. On Sunday, before we left, there were 7 or 8 palapas down in the surf in front of the Vista buildings where early in the week there was as much as 100 feet to the water's edge.

As an additional note, planes were landing from the South all week as the trades were reversed by Tomas. At night, the wind would die and the trees were just hanging with no motion what so ever. It was very oppressive in the heat!

We had a great time, as usual, seeing old friends and making new ones. Aruba is a great place to go in spite of the weather but I have to admit we've had better!!

"Don't look back, What ever is chasing you may be catching up!"

Satchel Paige
Old Saturday, November 13th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Aruba Expert

John, how nice that you can have good memories of your trip even though the weather did not cooperate. I appreciate you taking time to write of your week. Thank you, and welcome back to the real world.
Old Sunday, November 14th, 2010, 11:42 AM

NYLady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle-Beach Boy View Post
The live streaming Cam is great.
Bucuti Cam :: Aruba
That's the BEST Web cam I have seen for Aruba! Thanks.
Old Sunday, November 14th, 2010, 03:33 PM

phillyboater is on a distinguished road

We are at CDM abd walked beach today. Yes, waves are pretty big and strong. Good news is it appears the beach is coming back. From Buciti to PBV it is doing real good. Rocks still showing at CDM and ABC but looks like it is starting to fill in. Keep my fingers crossed.
Old Sunday, November 14th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: BIG waves at Bucuti!!

Thanks... it's nice to hear something positive, philly! Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyboater View Post
We are at CDM abd walked beach today. Yes, waves are pretty big and strong. Good news is it appears the beach is coming back. From Buciti to PBV it is doing real good. Rocks still showing at CDM and ABC but looks like it is starting to fill in. Keep my fingers crossed.
Old Sunday, November 14th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Aruba Expert

One Happy Island Re: BIG waves at Bucuti!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyboater View Post
Best news I've heard all day. Thank you for the good news.