Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Timeshare Owners' Corner > Divi Phoenix Resort

Divi Phoenix Resort This Forum is for Divi Phoenix Resort Owners to post/exchange information about their resort. To list PRIVATE rentals,please click here. To list PRIVATE sales, please click here.

Old Friday, January 23rd, 2009, 06:00 PM

judyj727 is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba is the new pool open?

Does anyone have any pictures of the new pool and villas?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Saturday, January 24th, 2009, 11:46 AM

Arubaweek6 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: is the new pool open?

Judy-I don't have pics, but I was told yesterday by Divi people that the pool is open. We received an email asking if we wanted to move to the Links for our week since the construction is ongoing. I called them to check about the pool specifically.
Old Saturday, January 24th, 2009, 11:59 AM

thanks for the update..are you moving to the links for your week or are you staying at the phoenix?
Old Saturday, January 24th, 2009, 04:09 PM

Right now, we're staying with the Phoenix plan. Our son returns tonight and based on his feedback we'll make a final decision. I'd really like to stay at the Phoenix finally, but not if it's still a mess.
I'll post again once I talk to him.
Old Sunday, January 25th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Aruba Expert

PhoenixGirl is on a distinguished road

We just left Aruba yesterday after spending Jan 10-24th there. The new pool at the Phoenix has water in it, but I haven'tseen anyone swimming in it yet. It's dirty from the continuuing construction on all the buildings. They really haven't even finished the A building yet although they are allowing people to stay there if they choose to. I met one couple from Canada who arrived at 8:30 pm and immediately called the manager to be moved to the Links because the room they were presented as "ready" wasn't ready yet according to their standards. They are still finishing the 7th and 8th floors in A. There are construction workers trying to get the Pure Beach restaurant ready. It certainly is not open yet. There are workers everywhere and trucks and cars coming & going from the unfinished parking lot. No landscaping in it. they tiled around the pool. For the first week we were there (in the old section) they were jackhammering out the small shallow pool near Building A because they poured the concrete wrong so it was very very noisy hammering out the concrete. They had to pull up some of the tile by the pool and re-pour it because it was shakey to walk on. They were still tiling the stairs to the restaurant and the walkway from the restaurant to the beach.

I don't know why Divi is telling people it is ready when it clearly isn't. It just makes them angry when they get there.
Old Sunday, January 25th, 2009, 02:42 PM

Our son just got home yesterday too. Lots not done yet, but he still thinks we should try to stay there. Actually he complained more about the bingo daily over the loud speaker than about the construction. He did say though that people were complaining-so it's evidently not the ideal vacation spot right now.
We're going hoping to stay at the Phoenix at this point.
Old Sunday, January 25th, 2009, 03:21 PM

Smile Re: is the new pool open?

Thanks everyone for the info..it was very helpful!!
Old Sunday, January 25th, 2009, 05:03 PM

maddog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arubaweek6 View Post
Our son just got home yesterday too. Lots not done yet, but he still thinks we should try to stay there. Actually he complained more about the bingo daily over the loud speaker than about the construction. He did say though that people were complaining-so it's evidently not the ideal vacation spot right now.
We're going hoping to stay at the Phoenix at this point.
just go back form aruba jan 18 2009 we are the people that stayed and got moved to links from canada so take the change to links it is 100% worth it huge rooms best pool of all divi resorts and really only 2 3 min walk down driveway to beach and beach has no crowds whatsoever. I did post info today on room and we do have pictures I will try to post.
Old Monday, January 26th, 2009, 09:31 AM

Thanks Maddog! We stayed at the Links last year and loved it. We have gone back and forth about staying there again. Right now, we are hoping that the Phoenix works out, but figure like you, we might end up moving.
Old Friday, January 30th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Aruba Expert

Hello maddog,

We met at the Divi Links spa. Didn't you tell us that you got free All Inclusive too because your room wasn't ready? That is one heck of a deal!!!
Old Friday, January 30th, 2009, 10:45 PM

hey I don't know if it was me you met at the spa or do you mean the hot tub by the pool, but either way yes the resident manager gave us an mega all inclusive for my husband myself and our 2 kids so it did work out to my benefit thats for sure and we ended up loving the beach and area way better as well. cheers maddog
Old Sunday, February 1st, 2009, 10:43 AM
Aruba Expert

I Love Aruba Re: is the new pool open?

That was a fantastic deal! I wonder if they automatically offer it to everybody, or if you have to express a lot of dissatisfaction with all the construction at the new villas or the unfinished state of your room when you arrive.
Old Sunday, February 1st, 2009, 11:05 AM

I don't know if they are offering it to everyone,however I had actually spoken to Doug Kuhn(resident manager) prior to my visit as I was trying to find out what was done re construction,and at that time I had expressed my concern about the completion of the pool as I have kids. I also had been incontact with divi in NC to confirm construction updates. By the way they both had assured me at that time that all would be ready. The night that we arrived after seeing our room I immediately went to front desk and asked for manager and Doug kuhn happened to be there and took over for the manager. I was not out of control or rude in any way I simply stated that having no plug covers and open windows in hallways was a safety concern and that I wanted to be relocated in a room of equal value ie kitchen bedroom gold crown rci status elsewhere immediately. At the time that I was with him there was another fellow screaming at the hotel manager in a back room. I did take the opportunity to mention to him that I apprieciated his prompt attention to my problem,and that I was sure he could appreiciate that after 2 days of travel to get there we were exhausted, ( It never hurts to kill with kindness). We did meet some who was supposed to stay there as well and the fist week they got relocated to phoenix next door and 2 week to links but they did not recieve the mega golden bracelet.
Old Sunday, February 1st, 2009, 02:32 PM

waltersharvey is on a distinguished road
Question Re: is the new pool open?

Hello all I am new to this site but i have owned at the Phoenix before construction started and have had to stay at Dutch village, and the Links. I would very much prefer to stay at the Phoenix because my wife son and mother in law love the beach. My son just turned 6 and is not a very strong swimmer yet. We currently own weeks 6 and 7 in the A building I believe on the third floor. My question is if you believe by the time I arrive this saturdy if after a few days i will want to move? Because like so many of you I am so excited about staying in the place i actually purchased. Also the traveling everyday from place to place is a drag, having to pack lunch and drinks and things. I am so wanting to just have to take a short walk and elevator ride to get back to the comfortrs of my room.
Old Sunday, February 1st, 2009, 02:33 PM

JohnL is on a distinguished road

I was at the Phoenix from 1/17 to 1/24. Building A is open and occupied but there are a lot of little problems and some major ones as well. I had to move out to the Divi Links for our second week and they did a great job of acommodating me and my guests. Doug Kuhn, Resident Manager from NC is there, and is doing a good job. But there is only so much they can do when things are behind. We're dealing with foriegn contractors, some lazy workers, and materials not yet arrived. Nevertheless, they shouldn't have opened. And if you're thinking of renting out your unit, who would want to pay big bucks to listen to construction, have styrofoam in your beach and pool water, and get dust all over them, all week long. I did it for a week and could not do it any longer.

My wife and I decided NOT TO STAY the month of February because it would be a nightmare. We were going to rent, but you can't do that when we are dealing with construction conditions, problems with the rooms, unstocked items, broken utilities and appliances, etc..... so we have requested that our 2009 maintenace fees for this year be applied to next year. We'll see how that goes.

Pool: The pool has water in it but cannot be opened because of all the construction. The kiddy pool is huge and is in the way of the bigger pool. Looks like "hot tubs" will be cold tub whirlpool extensions of the swim up bar.

Units: They are behind schedule which is no surprise, but I can say the units will be nice, when they are complete. Complete being the operative word. Washer/dryer all in one is a disaster- they DO NOT work. Some shades are not up; ceiling fans missing; electrical system problematic; appliances missing; phone system problems; and a bunch of other minor issues. But the beds are AWESOME! Flat panel TV's are superb. A major issue is going to be where they will put all the people that will be inundating the pool and beach when all 4 buildings open. WOW!

Restaurant: It is not even close to opening. But they are working on it.

New Lobby: Foundation isn't even poured.

New Parking Lots: What? Not even a gleam in the stream yet.

New Beach: Yeah, right. There is not a hell of a lot of new beach. When we bought in 2007, we were told that the beach would be all the way down to the beach police station. No way. It's only 40 to 50, maybe 75 yards NW of the jetty. That section has some serious seaweed- I hope they are planning to dredge it out and clean it up.

Chickies: They are putting a lot of new chickies up but they are now so close together that you'll need a to be a limbo dancer to get around other parties to your chickie, or to /from the beach. That's not quite a big deal- I can handle this.

BOTTOM LINE: Why are they even open? They should be extending people's contracts and waiving maintenance fees but not opening until they are ready to host owners/investors in the manner they should be hosted. Something about not getting construction styrofoam flying into my food and drink is a little too much to expect I guess I spent over 100 thousand dollars buying weeks 4-8 and I'm SOL this year for weeks 5-8 after having paid maintenance fees. My unit is not yet complete so how can there be maintenance. It is disappointing to say the least.

HOWEVER, DIVI is a professional outfit. It looks like they know what they are doing. I base this upon the 4 other properties they own and maintain. I was taken care of at the DIVI Links, but there is nothing like being right on the beach.

My wife and I are appreciative of the efforts put forth by resident manager Doug Kuhn, the front desk staff, Activities Director Avril Culley, towel hut manager Carmen, and beach assistant Louis - they are good people and really care about us. But the corporate people are pushing the deadlines and resort operations are having trouble because there is only so much that can be done with limited time, manpower, and supplies.

So I'll leave you with my prognosis: It'll be GREAT next year.
Old Sunday, February 1st, 2009, 02:44 PM

Well I guess where ever I do end up staying the weather will be much better than here in NY. I spoke to someone at Divi about 3 weeks ago and they guaranteed me my room would be ready and my building was open. I too think that my contract should not start until I get what I paid for, and have we been paying maintenance fees or construction fees. The room I had at the links was nice last year but once again i just hated to pack up and take the hike to the beach with the calmer water every morning. ALso I have a 2 bed room lock off and the first year the 2 rooms they gave me were on the same floor but at different ends of the building. But I should just be grateful to be going to the placde my son calls 'PARADISE'
Old Sunday, February 1st, 2009, 03:02 PM

I hope you have a great trip ad I guess when you get there you will be able to decide if you can tolorate the construction or not, I hope for your sake that they have done a lot of work since we were there but maybe all the things that were not complete inside will be done by now that was almost 3 weeks ago that I was there .I will cross my fingers for you. did you check out the pictures of the pool area that I put in the gallery? that may help but you can always use the phoenix pool next door and the beach will still be the same one your family loved.
cheers maddog
Old Sunday, February 1st, 2009, 03:15 PM

Thumbs up Re: is the new pool open?

I will take pictures and update everyone when i return. Thank you for your kindness and information. Yes I did see the pictures.
Old Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009, 04:34 PM

Default can not wait

This snow is making me realize how wonderful Aruba is no matter where i stay
Old Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009, 04:59 PM
Aruba Expert

I Love Aruba Re: is the new pool open?

One thing to note: they do not start counting your weeks owned until you actually occupy the unit you purchased. Maybe they can give you rooms at the Phoenix tower or beach villas instead of the Links. That way you'll be at the beach and the resort you like. I think they send you down to the Links because the rooms are newer and more equivalent to what you bought in the new section. The Phoenix wasn't full even though it was high season.

You get much better information from the bulletin board visitors than from Divi. Divi just says that everything is open and ready. They're still saying the restaurant and new pool opened in December.
Old Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009, 05:37 PM

Thumbs up Re: is the new pool open?

My wife tells me the same thing. I think this site is great and when I return I am going to upload the pictures I took and give a full update. I did notice in other conversations on this site there is a person who keeps the peace. I just wonder why Divi does not have someone to just log on maybe even once a week and give true updates. I think when i retire I am going to move to Aruba and they can give that job to me.
Old Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009, 05:43 PM
Aruba Expert

I keep writing to Divi resorts asking them to update their website communications, and they just ignore the email.

I think they're in North Carolina, and they have no idea what is going on at any of the resorts.
Old Wednesday, February 4th, 2009, 09:28 AM

I recently told them that they have had our money for just about two years now, and we've never received any communication from them. I kept reading on the BB's that people were gettings letters and we were getting nothing. Very frustrating and not a great way to do business. I told them that although we'd like a second week, we were very hesitant to buy with Divi again.
It's a shame, but at this point I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.