Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba In Words > Aruba Tales > Lisa's Box of Treasures

Lisa's Box of Treasures Our jewel at VisitAruba.com - Lisa has many gems to share with you. She has a wealth of information about Aruba - and if she doesn't know, she will find out! :) So, enjoy and ask away!

Old Monday, May 28th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Aruba Expert

LocaLisa is on a distinguished road
Default Burico a donkey story

Burico is the local name for donkeys. During their time here, the Spanish imported donkeys and horses for breeding. They imported them via Savaneta and Barcadera, the four-legged animals were kept near Oranjestad hence the name Paardenbaai which in Dutch means 'horses bay'. The Spanish word for donkey is "burro", and "rico" means rich. Not everyone could afford having a donkey for their mode of transportation in those days.

The donkeys were relied upon not only for personal transport but also for the transport of goods. In the early days there were almost 1500 donkeys, and they contributed greatly to Aruba's economy. As time passed other modes of transportation were replacing the buricos little by little. Cars, bicycles, and motorized bicycle were replacing them. The majority of donkeys were let free by their owner to roam the land on their own. Donkeys are strong by nature and do not need much to survive. But they could not survive diseases, being knocked down by cars or trucks and even by the growing society that saw them as pests.

By the early 70's only 20 donkeys were counted. A severe disease caused many them as well as other stray animals to disappear.

By the late 80's they were rapidly approaching extinction on our island.
This was brought to the government's attention by the people who cared and a law was drawn up that protected these animals to save them from dwindling further. A sanctuary was founded and they were kept there, and where special treatment was given to the weaker ones.

In my schooldays, when children did not pay attention or made bad grades, teachers used to scold a child as a "burico". Nowadays that is not the case and children are being taught in school about the survival of the buricos, and the struggle of the ones who made it possible for the donkeys to populate a total of 80 to 100 who roam free in their natural habitat. They are often found in groups of 2 to 16 animals. Donkeys are the largest "wild animals" in Aruba, and are no problem at all.

Last edited by LocaLisa; Tuesday, March 11th, 2008 at 10:09 AM. Reason: image removed "no longer available"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Monday, May 28th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Almost Aruban

Corrine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Burico a donkey story

I learned something today, Lisa, thank you! I was wondering why there were wild donkeys roaming around!

Old Tuesday, May 29th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Aruba Expert

charlescroes is on a distinguished road

Lisa,
Very nice stuff. I especially liked the BURRO-RICO explanation.
Thanks for that and for adding to everyones knowledge on the tid-bits that make up the Island where we live.
be well
charles
Old Tuesday, May 29th, 2007, 12:06 PM

Weimaraner is on a distinguished road

Thanks Lisa! If anyone hasn't been to the donkey sanctuary yet, it's worth the trip. We went on one of our trips and brought carrots. There was one donkey that really hammed it up for us and of course he earned a few extra carrots...but we made sure there were plenty to go around.
Old Tuesday, May 29th, 2007, 01:04 PM

carolrd is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the story Lisa. In seven trips to Aruba, I have never been to the sanctuary. Looks like I'll be looking for it in a couple of weeks.
Old Thursday, May 31st, 2007, 09:57 AM
Aruba Expert

I want to add something, nature is one of the most precious gift that we have. Be good to nature and nature will be good to you. The donkeys are in perfect harmony with nature, what they take they give back. And so does other animals.

By the growing civilization and technology, we are taking too much from nature and what we give back in comparison is less. Therefore, no perfect balance and this means nature will claim on her turn what has been taken from her.

You can know more about the donkeys and be kept up to date by visiting Aruba Donkey Sanctuary's website:www.arubandonkey.org
Old Thursday, May 31st, 2007, 10:52 AM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Burico a donkey story

I couldn't seem to make this any larger, but speaking of donkeys, these two goats paid a visit to ABC's beach a couple years ago for a little
R and R. It was the cutest thing! I'd seen them taking a stroll on the sidewalk in front of CDM, and the next thing I knew, they were looking for a palapa on the beach!! lol It was a real happening!
Old Thursday, June 7th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Aruba Expert

Yes, Elaine. These creatures are harmless when you let them be. You have an insight and that is a gift. Some people just doesn't get it.

Thank you all for your posts, my next story is going way back. For some people this story will bring some unwanted memories. But I'm fully convinced that in every adversary there is a seed of triumph.

Aruba's close encounter with WW2. I hope you like it.
Old Tuesday, March 11th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Aruba Expert

Just an update, i had to remove the picture of the donkeys the owner doesn't want to share it any more.

here is a link to the donkey sanctuary website which will keep you up to date with any development of these wonderful animals

www.arubandonkey.org
Old Thursday, March 13th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Aruba Expert

Arubalisa is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the story. This just a small portion of what makes Aruba the wondeful place that it is. Here is a fellow we met in Arikok National Park. I personally would love to hear about the goats as well. Is it true there is a processing plant on the island for goat meat and hides?

Click on thumbnail to enlarge
Old Thursday, March 13th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Aruba Expert

thank you for the picture it's very nice of you, about the goats many aruban dishes consists of goat meat so that is possible. there are here and there farmers that have a herd of 8 to 20 goats, they leave them wander about mostly for grassing during daytime without any supervision. this is how we suddenly see a group of goats crossing roads or wander by.

they are so clever that they know when they can cross over, and that would be precisely when you are in a rush and have to wait patiently till all their members are on the other side.

they are passive animals and won't harm you or your car if you're no thread to them. in the weekends when i'm at home around noon there is a small parade in front of my house consisting of 2 donkeys, around 10 goats, a dozen peacocks and even dogs. they are from the nos cunucu restaurant that is a block away with the exception of the dogs. it's quite funny to see how all these different animals get together for a walk around the neighborhood.