Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba In Words > Aruba Tales > Lisa's Box of Treasures

Lisa's Box of Treasures Our jewel at VisitAruba.com - Lisa has many gems to share with you. She has a wealth of information about Aruba - and if she doesn't know, she will find out! :) So, enjoy and ask away!

Old Friday, May 18th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Aruba Expert

LocaLisa is on a distinguished road
Default Frenchman's Pass

Frenchman's Pass is a narrow passage on the island of Aruba, between coral cliffs above the area known as Spanish Lagoon.

Legend tells the story of French pirates, who in the early 17th century tried to invade Aruba and were confronted by the Indians or the Dutch in this passage above Spanish Lagoon. Many were killed during the invasion.

This invasion caused the passage to become known as “Rooi Frances” or “Franse Pas” in Papiamento, which translates to “Frenchman's Pass” in English. People who live near Frenchman's Pass claim to have heard crying noises after dusk. Some claim the ghosts are awakened and haunt the area known as Spanish Lagoon.

There are several stories told by relatives that I would like to share. "If you are weak of heart, please do not go through this pass alone and in the dark!" warn some people. The first story I heard was that a small family with two kids went through this pass in their car. The smallest kid shouted out "Look, a light ball!" His dad saw a small ball of fire suspended from a tree which fell onto their side of the road. He slowed down to a stop and his wife urged him to stay in the car. But he would not listen, and got out of the car to see what it was. But as he approached the ball rolled away and disappeared between the trees. Feeling suddenly cold, he decided to return to the car. He asked his wife if she had turned off the engine. She said she hadn't and she could not remember when it had turned off. Her husband couldn't get the car started and the kids started to cry. She started to pray so they could leave this awful place. The engine suddenly started and they were out of there.

Several stories contain similar elements; a ball of fire, car engine turns off, car hitting something and nothing is ever found, weird noises, being followed by a ball of fire, something hitting the car or something lies across the road.

My late grandpa told me one a long time ago, something that happened to a good friend of his. He was driving along in his pick-up coming from Santa Cruz and needed to go through the pass to get home. It was late at night around midnight, and he's very aware of the stories told. So driving now was a serious matter. Suddenly he hits something, forgetting momentarily where he was, he jumped out of the car to see what he had hit. Seeing nothing near by all of a sudden he remembered where he was and on shaky legs he hurriedly got back into his car. Without any delay he drove away as fast as possible. At home when he turned off the engine he felt the car shake, but thought, it was a long drive, he was tired he decided to enter his house and go to sleep. He woke up the following morning deciding to inspect his car, unable to forget what happened to him the night before. He saw a big dent on the front bumper and on examining more closely he noticed traces of dried dark-reddish blood on it. Hearing the sound of an injured dog close by he went to the back of his pick-up and saw what he hit that night. The dog has lived with him since then, since it was a stray!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Friday, May 18th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Frenchman's Pass

what a great story lisa! i loved it!
Old Saturday, May 19th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Almost Aruban

kevin d is on a distinguished road

Thanks to the tourguide I had last trip (mafalda), I got to explore and learn about much about Frenchman's Pass - I already spend hours and hours fishing there, but it was great to hear some background on the area. Lisa thanks for the info!
Old Sunday, May 20th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Aruba Expert

2hokies is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin d View Post
Thanks to the tourguide I had last trip (mafalda), I got to explore and learn about much about Frenchman's Pass - I already spend hours and hours fishing there, but it was great to hear some background on the area. Lisa thanks for the info!
Phew! I'm glad you made it out in one piece!!

Lisa...another terrific story! I might have to read that one to my boys. They'll want to go see it next time we bring them along (Sorry boys, just Mom and Dad in December).
Old Monday, May 21st, 2007, 01:07 PM
Almost Aruban

donnie is on a distinguished road

Nice story Lisa. I'll have to try the pass when I am down there.(During the day of course!)
Old Monday, May 21st, 2007, 04:28 PM
Aruba Expert

charlescroes is on a distinguished road

Lisa,
I'd be joking if I said I have had ghost or fireball experiences, however can relate a real event to you.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

As kids, Aruba was a much different place and it was not out of the ordinary for us as kids to walk to the beach or other parts of the island (with our parents permission of course) and do so during the later hours of the night.

One Sunday, several of us wanted to go swimming at the Spaanse Lagoon and to get there decided to hitch hike up the main road by the ocean. We were there in less than an hour and spent the day swimming and frollicking in those waters. At about 6PM it dawned on us that we had to get home and that the following day was school so we had to get going. To use the shortcut, we made the decision to walk through frenchmans pass and then hitch from Santa Cruz into town. We wrapped ourselves up with the blankets we had and started walking. No sooner did we start than it became dark and we were calculating about one hour before getting home. As we walked through the "Pass" it started to rain but only in the pass itself. The wind was incredibly strong in the pass and we actuall went back and looked at the start of the pass and saw this drastic weather change right in front of us. There we were, about five or six kids standing on the road looking at a dark passage with rain and high winds while we looked up and saw stars and experience relative calm. Eerie to say the very least.

That is my story

be well
charles
Old Monday, May 21st, 2007, 08:35 PM
Almost Aruban

Very eerie indeed

I can hear the music for 'Stand By Me' playing as I read your tale. Gotta love those kinds of moments, makes me remember how fun it was to be a kid.

Thanks Charles
Old Tuesday, May 22nd, 2007, 03:33 PM
Aruba Expert

charlescroes is on a distinguished road

Kevin,

As a follow up on this little tale I told, I received two e-mails from guys I have not heard from for donkey years. They said hi and glad you are above ground and kikking and then - You remembered that too huh?

Yeah - being a kid was nice and so was the mystery of it all. The saddest thing that happens to us is to close that wonderment chapter of our lives and face reality. Ask me and I say - Reality can really suck when compared to just being a kid.

be well
charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin d View Post
Very eerie indeed

I can hear the music for 'Stand By Me' playing as I read your tale. Gotta love those kinds of moments, makes me remember how fun it was to be a kid.

Thanks Charles
Old Wednesday, May 23rd, 2007, 07:55 PM
Almost Aruban

I couldn't agree more

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlescroes View Post

Yeah - being a kid was nice and so was the mystery of it all. The saddest thing that happens to us is to close that wonderment chapter of our lives and face reality. Ask me and I say - Reality can really suck when compared to just being a kid.

be well
charles
Old Monday, May 28th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Aruba Expert

Thanks to all for your nice comments, I'm very pleased you liked it.

Like Charles and Kevin, if you had a strange experience going through the Frenchman's Pass you are welcome to share it with us.

BTW: Charles nice story .

Last edited by LocaLisa; Monday, May 28th, 2007 at 02:12 PM.
Old Monday, May 28th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Aruba Expert

The next story is about, donkey (Equus Asinus) or as the Arubans call them burico (pronunciation: boo-ree-co). They form part of the Aruba history, economy and culture.
Old Friday, March 14th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Aruba Expert

a friend just emailed me a story he have kept for years about the Frenchman's Pass, and i would like to share it with you. So friend if you read this, this is for you.

THE ARUBAN GHOST STORY

This happened during the heavy rains about a month ago just north of the small town of Pos Chikito (Small Well) in the low country of Santa Cruz (Holy Cross). And while it sounds like an Alfred Hitchcock tale, it's real.

This guy was on the side of the road from Pos Chikito (Small Well) via Rooi Frances (The Frenchmen's Pass) in the District of Santa Cruz (Holy Cross) to the town of the same name, hitchhiking on a real dark night in the middle of a heavy thunder storm.

Time passed slowly and no cars went by. It was raining so hard he could hardly see his hand in front of his face.
Just after having left the Cemetery at Sabana Basora behind him, he suddenly saw a car moving slowly, approaching and appearing ghost-like in the rain. It slowly crept toward him and then stopped.

Wanting a ride real bad, the guy jumped in the car and closed the door,
only to then realize that there was nobody behind the wheel. The car slowly started moving again, and the guy was terrified, too scared to think of jumping out and running.

The guy saw that the car was slowly approaching the sharp curve at Wela
(Grandma's), still too scared to jump out, he started to pray and beg for his life; he was sure the ghost car would go off the road and into the marsh, where he would surely drown.

Just before the curve, a hand appeared thru the driver's window and turned the steering wheel, guiding the car safely around the bend. Paralyzed with fear, the guy watched the hand reappear every time they reached a curve and the car passing through the gloomy Frenchmen's Pass and approaching now Mondi Fierno (Devil's Badlands). The poor guy, scared to near death, had all he could take and jumped out of the car and ran to Santa Cruz.

Wet and in shock, he went into a little bar at Jan Fleming
(Ian Fleming), asuburb of the Santa Cruz town, and voice quavering, ordered two shots of whiskey, and then told everybody about his supernatural experience. A silence followed and everybody got goose bumps when they realized the guy was telling the truth, and was not just some drunk.

About half an hour later two guys walked into the bar and one says to the other: -"Look Tony, there's that idiot that rode in our car when we were pushing it in the rain."
Old Friday, March 14th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Frenchman's Pass

Lisa, that was hysterical. I was so into the story until the end!!! lol