Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Friday, July 16th, 2010, 01:10 PM

amarg is on a distinguished road
Default London to Aruba in September

Hi guys, my other sister, who lives in London, UK, has decided to join us for 5 to 7 days during our stay. The dates are Sept 18 to Oct 2 and since she's my other little sister and doesn't earn much (not to mention the cost of living in UK), I am subsidizing her as well. Therefore, knowing nothing about travel from London, I need advice on booking her flight. What travel agency or wholesaler can I use to get the best price? What charter companies or flights? I saw that Thomson Air flies cheap but seem to have limited baggage check in. Help appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Friday, July 16th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Aruba Expert

Eagle-Beach Boy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: London to Aruba in September

As I have heard you have limited choices from England. Even London to Miami to Aruba in pricey.

Old Sunday, August 8th, 2010, 11:23 PM

We booked my sister's flight today from London Gatwick to Aruba (Sept 25-Oct2) with Thomsonair. It's odd, I check the flights almost daily and yesterday there were 94 seats left on the flight and today 8! I sometimes wonder if that's real or a ploy to get people to buy. Well, it worked and we bought.
The odd thing is that the charter flights from UK don't include checked baggage (you get to carry on 5kg so about 12lb but if you take a l aptop, that counts as your carry on so you're screwed) and each bag costs 40 pounds extra - $65! We quibbled back and forth over this checked bag thing and whether since she's not bringing a laptop, and it's Aruba where clothing is light, she could get away with carrying on a small backpack under 5kg. In the end we decided it's better to be safe than sorry and just pay it. Especially since Thomson also doesn't provide any beverages on the 9.5 hour flight. There apparently is one meal but that's all, no snacks, no drinks. I told her to pack drinks and food.
I'm wondering about the inflight entertainment now too. Does it also cost extra or can you watch tv?
I'm not sure what else we need to know about Thomson but I got to say, so far I find it all very different and strange vs Canada. To even call and talk to someone at Thomsonair, you have to pay 10p per minute!
Upon paying for the flight online, we were charged another 3 pound and I have no idea why. It said that credit cards are charged 2.5% but UK debit cards are free. So we used my sister's UK debit card and she was still charged 3 pound but not 2.5%. I'm so confused!
Now we have to get her travel insurance and at least that seems pretty reasonable in London. However, I have a question - She is temporarily working and living in London but a Canadian citizen and returning to Canada next year. When she buys trip insurance/medical insurance for Aruba, does she buy it as a UK resident? I'm assuming yes. However, if anything major were to ever happen to her requiring long-term hospitalization or rehabilitation, we would want her to come home. Therefore, I am a little confused how this works.
Any advice? Thanks.
Old Monday, August 9th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Almost Aruban

seashelldiver is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: London to Aruba in September

Just an FYI, it is highly unlikey your sister will be allowed on the plane with liquids in her carry on. Her best bet is to buy them if available after her security checkpoints and just before she gets on the plane, that is the only way they ill allow liquids brought on the plane. 911 changed all those rules. Just a reminder.
Old Monday, August 9th, 2010, 12:45 PM

Yes we are well aware of the rules with liquids and what you are allowed to bring on the plane. We have both flown many times to destinations within North America and overseas.
I guess I should have been more clear that our question is specific to Thomson Air only. No one we know has flown with them and I wanted to know if they offer food, drink and onboard tv or movies for their flight to Aruba. Also, are they available for purchase and at what cost?
The airlines we have flown with previously, have all provided excellent service and on trips over 4 hours you get a meal, all trips have unlimited non-alcoholic beverages, free snacks (not the greatest but are there if you want them), free TV. Other food, drinks and movies are available to purchase as well.
I usually buy something to eat from one of the shops right outside the gate like Starbucks or Tim Hortons and take it on with me so she will do the same if necessary.
Does anyone have any info on Thomson Air?
Old Monday, August 9th, 2010, 06:02 PM

arubabob is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: London to Aruba in September

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarg View Post
Hi guys, my other sister, who lives in London, UK, has decided to join us for 5 to 7 days during our stay. The dates are Sept 18 to Oct 2 and since she's my other little sister and doesn't earn much (not to mention the cost of living in UK), I am subsidizing her as well. Therefore, knowing nothing about travel from London, I need advice on booking her flight. What travel agency or wholesaler can I use to get the best price? What charter companies or flights? I saw that Thomson Air flies cheap but seem to have limited baggage check in. Help appreciated. Thanks.
I dont know how much you are paying for that odd company, but American has a flight from heathrow to miami connecting to Aruba and returning from Aua to jfk then heathrow for $1314 us. KLM has a flight from heathrow through Amsterdam to AUA and back for 711 british pounds.
Old Tuesday, August 10th, 2010, 02:27 PM

She's taking a direct charter flight on Thomson Air which was recommended by other Brits on this forum and the other forum (aruba.com). The price was really good 648 pounds including taxes and the baggage fee of 40 pounds.
However, it's beginning to seem you get what you pay for and with this flight, one meal is included (9 hours) but no other free drinks or snacks. My sister isn't an alcohol drinker so that doesn't matter in the least but a juice or tea would have been nice.
Oh well, it's ok. She will just buy a couple of juices/water and snacks before boarding and watch movies and listen to music on her ipod.

We figured out that great travel insurance quotes can be had through moneysupermarket.com (UK company) and her travel insurance is so much more comprehensive and cheaper than what we pay in Canada. It even covers legal fees if someone sues her on vacation and personal money. Wow!

The only thing now is making sure she qualifies for it as a Canadian working in UK. We have to make sure she is considered a resident (which she should) but if not, she will have to figure out some sort of policy for expats since she's no longer covered in Canada.

I never thought it would be so complicated.