Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Wednesday, January 13th, 2010, 08:48 AM

aquaman is on a distinguished road
Default Aruba rattled by earthquake in Venezuela

This was posted on another board along with other posts regarding the quake

Aruba was shook by a 4.3 magnitude earthquake at 04:15 this morning. There are no reports so far of injuries and damage to structures. The tremor was felt all over the island. Citizens report windows shaken and roaring noise as if a heavy truck was passing by. The quake lasted for approximately 5 seconds. Some people have reported a second tremor. Some people reported a very strong wind gust just after quake.

The islands of Curacao and Bonaire also felt the tremor but not as strong as Aruba. There are reports that the surf around the island of Aruba was a little rough after the quake.

This tremor was felt on the island, because it was near Aruba at sea and because of the magnitude, which is considered moderate. It is believed that the earthquake felt in Aruba is a reaction to the strong earthquake that struck the south of Haiti yesterday evening.

Aruba is near the boarder of the Caribbean and South American plate. While the Caribbean plate and North American plate goes through the island of Hispanola.

Last edited by aquaman; Wednesday, January 13th, 2010 at 09:21 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Wednesday, January 13th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Auba rattled by earthquake in Venezuela

thank goodness it was such a small quake! my heart goes out to the haitians.

here is an excellent NGO working in haiti. if you are wondering how to help, this is a good way.

https://donate.pih.org/page/contribu...ource=homepage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
This was posted on another board along with other posts regarding the quake

Aruba was shook by a 4.3 magnitude earthquake at 04:15 this morning. There are no reports so far of injuries and damage to structures. The tremor was felt all over the island. Citizens report windows shaken and roaring noise as if a heavy truck was passing by. The quake lasted for approximately 5 seconds. Some people have reported a second tremor. Some people reported a very strong wind gust just after quake.

The islands of Curacao and Bonaire also felt the tremor but not as strong as Aruba. There are reports that the surf around the island of Aruba was a little rough after the quake.

This tremor was felt on the island, because it was near Aruba at sea and because of the magnitude, which is considered moderate. It is believed that the earthquake felt in Aruba is a reaction to the strong earthquake that struck the south of Haiti yesterday evening.

Aruba is near the boarder of the Caribbean and South American plate. While the Caribbean plate and North American plate goes through the island of Hispanola.
Old Wednesday, January 13th, 2010, 09:18 AM

Here is an interesting link to where the Epicentre was.

http://www.24ora.com/images/stories/.../epicentro.jpg
Old Wednesday, January 13th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Aruba Expert

lizzardo is on a distinguished road

As the article says 'no damage or injuries'. I woke up and
felt it. Wasn't really 'rocking' more like on a raft and
waves going under you. I wasn't sure what it was
until it 'registered' with me. Was really glad that I
wasn't imaging it when I woke up this AM.

Surf is choppy - no tsunami warning - just a warning
for fishermen not to go out. But the surf has been
choppy since Sunday night.
Old Wednesday, January 13th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Almost Aruban

ruba4ever is on a distinguished road

Lizzardo...thank goodness you and all others on the island are okay...heart breaks for the people of Haiti....such devastation....
ruba

Old Wednesday, January 13th, 2010, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Aruba rattled by earthquake in Venezuela

Regarding Haiti. I always ask why these things happen in some of the worlds poorest countries where life is hard enough at the best of times. Just watching TV news here in Canada and they are saying that it is estimated that 3 million people are affected by this. I am hoping that the international community rallies and gets support in there fast. Here in Canada efforts have started.
Old Wednesday, January 13th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Administrator

the major medical ship for the usa is docked here in the inner harbor of baltimore at the moment. it is already preparing to go. i hope that people do what they can to provide for these people. picture it being us and no one caring enough to help. a simple 'tsk, tsk, how awful' type of sympathy just isn't enough if we can afford even $10 or a package of food and clothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
Regarding Haiti. I always ask why these things happen in some of the worlds poorest countries where life is hard enough at the best of times. Just watching TV news here in Canada and they are saying that it is estimated that 3 million people are affected by this. I am hoping that the international community rallies and gets support in there fast. Here in Canada efforts have started.
Old Wednesday, January 13th, 2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
the major medical ship for the usa is docked here in the inner harbor of baltimore at the moment. it is already preparing to go. i hope that people do what they can to provide for these people. picture it being us and no one caring enough to help. a simple 'tsk, tsk, how awful' type of sympathy just isn't enough if we can afford even $10 or a package of food and clothing.

Sherry,

I agree that any amount will help. According to stats the average wage for those in Haiti that can even get work is $560 a year
Old Wednesday, January 13th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Almost Aruban

seashelldiver is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Auba rattled by earthquake in Venezuela

OK...I was confused at first cause the thread title said Earthquake in Venezuela......after reading the posts I see we are referring to Haiti. Terrible Terrible situation in Haiti and thank god the USA is moving quickly to help. Had an employee at working collecting for Haiti via her church who has been assisting the country for years. The surprising stat that I heard was the epicenter was only 12 miles west of the capital city of Port Au Prince and they expect tens of thousands of deaths.....it is sooooo very sad and in a country that has so little to begin with. The U.S. State dept said upwards of 45,000 Americans live and work in Haiti so this will reach homes here in the states as the days go on, so far only 40 Americans have been located by the U.S. Embassy and many U.S. Embassy employees are missing and feared dead........I wish I had more to give as the pictures of the devastation is so hard see.....
Old Wednesday, January 13th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Almost Aruban

Posted on CNN at 1pm today......

Haitians in U.S. wait for news and worry - CNN.com
Old Wednesday, January 13th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Administrator

seashell, this thread is about the earthquake a few miles from aruba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelldiver View Post
OK...I was confused at first cause the thread title said Earthquake in Venezuela......after reading the posts I see we are referring to Haiti. Terrible Terrible situation in Haiti and thank god the USA is moving quickly to help. Had an employee at working collecting for Haiti via her church who has been assisting the country for years. The surprising stat that I heard was the epicenter was only 12 miles west of the capital city of Port Au Prince and they expect tens of thousands of deaths.....it is sooooo very sad and in a country that has so little to begin with. The U.S. State dept said upwards of 45,000 Americans live and work in Haiti so this will reach homes here in the states as the days go on, so far only 40 Americans have been located by the U.S. Embassy and many U.S. Embassy employees are missing and feared dead........I wish I had more to give as the pictures of the devastation is so hard see.....
Old Wednesday, January 13th, 2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Hi. There were 2 quakes. The one in Haiti and another this morning at 4:15am off the coast ofVenezuela. The second one rocked Aruba awake. No damage from what I understand
Old Wednesday, January 13th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Almost Aruban

mmmmmm....still confused as their is not a peep about a Venezuelan earthquake anywheres on the web.....my friend in law in Aruba said he felt the one from Haiti around dinner time last night.....this is bad news if one happened in Venezuela also.....that means there is a whole lot of movement of the Atlantic plates and that is never a good thing......first time in 200 years for Haiti, but that can all change and seems to have changed in the blink of an eye....this is soooooooo horrible.
Old Wednesday, January 13th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Administrator

what's really weird is that now i am not finding the news links that were there earlier although there were twitter posts by locals that i did find. i will have to research it better but i know arubans who felt it this morning and emailed me.

Quote:
mmmmmm....still confused as their is not a peep about a Venezuelan earthquake anywheres on the web.....my friend in law in Aruba said he felt the one from Haiti around dinner time last night.....this is bad news if one happened in Venezuela also.....that means there is a whole lot of movement of the Atlantic plates and that is never a good thing......first time in 200 years for Haiti, but that can all change and seems to have changed in the blink of an eye....this is soooooooo horrible.

Last edited by dwippies; Wednesday, January 13th, 2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old Wednesday, January 13th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Almost Aruban

Wink Re: Auba rattled by earthquake in Venezuela

Sherry...I give up, tried a PM to you but it says my PM is full and I deleted everything in there except your PM from this evening.....I typed a nice long email to you and it said it would not send it due to my mailbox being 100% used.....??????

I'll try again this weekend.

C.
Old Wednesday, January 13th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Administrator

if you can read mine, i will send you my email address again.

Quote:
Sherry...I give up, tried a PM to you but it says my PM is full and I deleted everything in there except your PM from this evening.....I typed a nice long email to you and it said it would not send it due to my mailbox being 100% used.....??????

I'll try again this weekend.

C.
Old Wednesday, January 13th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Administrator

two links that were used to verify the information.

http://www.24ora.com/images/stories/.../epicentro.jpg

http://www.funvisis.gob.ve/sismo.php?id=3623
Old Thursday, January 14th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Aruba Expert

We are in Aruba and did not feel anything around dinner time when
the earthquake in Haiti hit.

Also - my 'zoo' (including my husband) slept thru the one that hit at 4:15AM. Went outside not a sound from the birds. No one was acting any 'crazier' than they normally do that day or night before it hit either.
Old Thursday, January 14th, 2010, 03:46 PM

arubabob is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Auba rattled by earthquake in Venezuela

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
what's really weird is that now i am not finding the news links that were there earlier although there were twitter posts by locals that i did find. i will have to research it better but i know arubans who felt it this morning and emailed me.
There were 2 seperate earthquakes. The earthquake in Venezuela was only about 5 on the richter scale and did not cause much damage. That is why no one is reporting on it. The one in Haiti was a 7 on the richter scale and has caused a tremendous amount of damage. Hope this clears things up a little.
Old Thursday, January 14th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Administrator

i understand that the aruban quake was insignificant compared to haiti. it was more a matter of a curious statistic. actually i have now been corrected because there were two of them not one on aruba-the first woke people and the second was the one that those that woke felt. the larger was a 4.5. what surprises me is that the government earthquake sites didn't post it as they do all quakes. however, if you check a previous post by me, there are two verifying links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
There were 2 seperate earthquakes. The earthquake in Venezuela was only about 5 on the richter scale and did not cause much damage. That is why no one is reporting on it. The one in Haiti was a 7 on the richter scale and has caused a tremendous amount of damage. Hope this clears things up a little.
Old Thursday, January 14th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Aruba Expert

By brother works for the USGS and sent me this link -

Latest Earthquakes in the World - Past 7 days

There are a lot of interesting links on the side.
It really is amazing on how many earthquakes
occur all the time!
Old Thursday, January 14th, 2010, 04:51 PM

arubabob is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Auba rattled by earthquake in Venezuela

For those that dont know, the richter scale is nothing like the hurricane severity scale. In hurricanes the categories are determined by wind speed. A category 5 is so many miles per hour faster than a category 4.

With earthquakes, each whole number is 10 times stronger than the previous. In other words an earthquake that is measured as a 5 on the scale is 10 times stronger than one measured as a 4. A 6 is 10 times stronger than a 5 and a 7 is 10 times stronger than a 6. See where that puts this earthquake on Haiti in relation to the 4.5 measured on Aruba. The Haitian one is 5 X 10 X 10 stronger than the Aruba quake.

The approximate seismic energy yield for a 4.5 earthquake would be equivilent to the explosion of 5.6 Kilatons of TNT but the approximate s. e. yield of a 6.0 earthquake would be 1 MEGATON of TNT and for a 7.0 like the one in Haiti, would be equivalent to 32 Megatons of TNT.
The Anchorage quake of 1964 was recorded at 9.2 on the scale and had an s. e. approx 90.7 GIGATONS of TNT.

I can not even imagine those numbers.
Old Thursday, January 14th, 2010, 10:39 PM
Aruba Expert

ArubaMary is on a distinguished road

Bob, I have read your post three times. Thank you so much for the clarification.
Old Thursday, January 14th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Almost Aruban

Liz from N.J. is on a distinguished road

My sister staying in Santa Cruz felt the quake. She said it was like a BIG Boom. She thought that a plane or car hit the house. When she didn't hear any sirens she went back to sleep. Talking to Carla from Jolly Pirates - she felt it too. Me staying in Eagle Beach didnt' feel it.