Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Timeshare Owners' Corner > Divi Phoenix Resort

Divi Phoenix Resort This Forum is for Divi Phoenix Resort Owners to post/exchange information about their resort. To list PRIVATE rentals,please click here. To list PRIVATE sales, please click here.

Old Tuesday, August 3rd, 2010, 09:02 AM

Pappy Mentos is on a distinguished road
Default WiFi at Phoenix

It's a slow morning with some clouds, so there is some time to provide some updates. Upon arrival at the Phoenix, you will be handed as part of your room packet a notice stating that the wifi service provider is out of business, that the current service is not reliable and that Divi can not provide troubleshooting should you connect to the service. From what we hear, the signal is very poor in the lower units, better at the top floors. Of course, they will not give you an answer as to when they will get new service. Cost is still the same-$50 per week. The lounge is up and running with 9-12 computers, but you pay by the minute. The least expensive is $5 for 10 minutes.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Tuesday, August 3rd, 2010, 07:27 PM
Aruba Expert

droykelly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WiFi at Phoenix

Any idea who their provider was? Are they going to hook up with someone else?

I will not sit on the porch and watch life go by without participating!
Old Wednesday, August 4th, 2010, 12:46 AM

amarg is on a distinguished road

All the Divi properties have their own Wifi providers which is not Setar. You are better off buying time through Setar for $35 per week which will allow you to connect to their Wifi hotspots all around Aruba. There's a comprehensive list online if you google them.
Old Wednesday, August 4th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road

great advice amarg! here is the link: WiFi Aruba.com: Hotspots

you may not be able to get it in your room but you can at least use it at many places around town with a much cheaper price range. when you get connected, the connection is usually very good. i will be using it for the next two weeks starting friday as i have for the last several years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarg View Post
All the Divi properties have their own Wifi providers which is not Setar. You are better off buying time through Setar for $35 per week which will allow you to connect to their Wifi hotspots all around Aruba. There's a comprehensive list online if you google them.
Old Wednesday, August 4th, 2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by droykelly View Post
Any idea who their provider was? Are they going to hook up with someone else?
The notice makes no mention of a company name. As usual, no one here will give you a straight answer as to when they will sign on with a new provider. Obviously, Divi will only sign on with Setar if they can get more $$$ from the deal than Setar offers to other resorts.

We've used Setar at the other resorts and find its signal to be a little better than the Divi network, but it is also gets slower as more sign on during the day. We certainly don't want to lug our laptop to a hotspot, so I hope Divi finds a solution before our next stay.
Old Wednesday, August 4th, 2010, 03:00 PM

I can understand you not wanting to lug a laptop too far but it appears that Setar hotspots are numerous and you may not have to lug very far. Also, how about using another smaller device like a blackberry, iPhone, iTouch or any other phone with web capabilities? May not work for you or some others Pappy, but I thought I'd put it out there for those of us who use smartphones. Also, one can rent a phone, even BB from Setar and buy the Internet package at the same time and use it for all your calling, data and Internet needs.
Luckily, we are staying at CDM which is a hotspot.
Old Wednesday, August 4th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Aruba Expert

Going to a Setar hot spot doesn't work for me either. I enjoyed the convenience of checking email on my lanai with my morning coffee or while we were just relaxing in the unit. When we leave the resort, I don't want to be bothered carrying my laptop or any other internet device.

I hope things change before November. If not, I'll leave the laptop home & stay in touch with the family by phone.

Old Wednesday, August 4th, 2010, 09:13 PM

I can understand not wanting to carry a laptop and do hope for Divi customers that the situation gets resolved. I find it odd that they charge more than the other places do. Since I'm new to all this and still learning I have a question -so unlike CDM which is through Setar and allows you to log onto WiFi at any hotspot around the island with your iphone or Blackberry (which are very small internet devices and not hard to carry around as they are telephones), at Divi are you confined to their properties? So for example, if I was out and about and wanted to go onto the internet to check my email or google some restaurants or something, with the Setar package I could almost anywhere on the island but with Divi I'd be stuck using the internet only in my room or on the actual Divi resort properties? And Divi charges $50 as opposed to $35? Doesn't seem right does it? I hope you Divi owners get some answers soon.
Old Wednesday, August 4th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Administrator

for some reason the divi properties give in and use a proper system. i have used setar for several years and watched its hot spots multiply while divi phoenix ignores the fact that it is pissing off guests and keeping some away by being so cheap. as a moderator, i can't just not get on the internet. on one trip where i rented at the phoenix, i was able to get on the internet on their system spending a fortune for slow internet in a cubbyhole that was the size of a small bathtub without air conditioning. that was one of the very few times i even got to use internet there. i bought a $20 card and had about $18 left because i could never connect. as much as i love the phoenix, i can't possibly rent or buy there as long as they can't give me internet. there is no excuse for stone age behavior in the 21st century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarg View Post
I can understand not wanting to carry a laptop and do hope for Divi customers that the situation gets resolved. I find it odd that they charge more than the other places do. Since I'm new to all this and still learning I have a question -so unlike CDM which is through Setar and allows you to log onto WiFi at any hotspot around the island with your iphone or Blackberry (which are very small internet devices and not hard to carry around as they are telephones), at Divi are you confined to their properties? So for example, if I was out and about and wanted to go onto the internet to check my email or google some restaurants or something, with the Setar package I could almost anywhere on the island but with Divi I'd be stuck using the internet only in my room or on the actual Divi resort properties? And Divi charges $50 as opposed to $35? Doesn't seem right does it? I hope you Divi owners get some answers soon.
Old Wednesday, August 4th, 2010, 09:38 PM

I almost rented a the Divi as there seems to be many many units available. I am so glad now that I didn't because I need the Web! I'm sorry but I agree, it's 2010 and some of us need and expect access, especially if we pay through the nose.

Sherry, you don't own in Aruba or just not at Divi? Where do you usually stay? I like your responses so wonder if you'd be open to emails or chat on phone? I've never been to Aruba like I said and it would be nice to talk to someone who has
Old Wednesday, August 4th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Aruba Expert

Last November (2009) I was able to connect from my tower unit with no problems & it was great. I'm all about convenience, especially on vacation, and I don't want to have to "go" someplace just so I can check email.

I'll keep my fingers crossed (but won't hold my breath) that it will be available again this year. The higher cost isn't an issue when it means I can connect while I'm still in my nightgown sipping my first cup of coffee..................

Old Wednesday, August 4th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Administrator

i agree... i would be willing to pay a decent price to do that. i will be using setar at costa linda and sipping coffee on my balcony every morning checking emails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by droykelly View Post
Last November (2009) I was able to connect from my tower unit with no problems & it was great. I'm all about convenience, especially on vacation, and I don't want to have to "go" someplace just so I can check email.

I'll keep my fingers crossed (but won't hold my breath) that it will be available again this year. The higher cost isn't an issue when it means I can connect while I'm still in my nightgown sipping my first cup of coffee..................
Old Thursday, August 5th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Aruba Expert

PhoenixGirl is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: WiFi at Phoenix

Back in May in the new Internet room by the deli, I overpaid for the convenience of checking email messages from my resort rather than going to the much less expensive Internet stations at Paseo Herencia Mall.

Service was slow or not at all. Once they gave me my money back, but after that the front desk would call their IT guy to "help me". They told me other people were connecting and that it was my fault when I knew everyone else in the room was having the same problem. So I went up the street once a day and stopped using the internet room at the Phoenix.

Near the end of my stay I spoke to one of the sales reps selling the new units about this problem, and he admitted to me that it was their provider problem. Thank you! Somebody finally told the truth instead of making us all feel frustrated and crazy.

I was hoping they would have a new provider by the time I return in October, but unless I read about it on this message board that there is a new provider, at least I'll save my money next time and go elsewhere.

At least now the resort is warning people that service is slow and unreliable and not making up stories when people complain.
Old Thursday, August 5th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Aruba Expert

PhoenixGirl is on a distinguished road

Can someone explain to me what problem the Phoenix (or is it all the Divi resorts?) has with Setar?
Old Thursday, August 5th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Aruba Expert

roschone is on a distinguished road

Divi really never addresses this problem. When we have our owner's meeting every year, we hammer away at them for this shortcoming. I love Divi, but this is truly a ridiculous issue in this day and age. We don't even bring our laptop any more. Just not worth it. And the $$$ they charge for this horrible service? All they need is a gun and a mask. I feel lucky that we don't have to rely on internet service while we're on vacation. Still I would love to have it.
Old Saturday, August 7th, 2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roschone View Post
Divi really never addresses this problem. When we have our owner's meeting every year, we hammer away at them for this shortcoming. I love Divi, but this is truly a ridiculous issue in this day and age. We don't even bring our laptop any more. Just not worth it. And the $$$ they charge for this horrible service? All they need is a gun and a mask. I feel lucky that we don't have to rely on internet service while we're on vacation. Still I would love to have it.
We're beginning to feel the same way. Last year, Doug Kuhn was very accomodating, trying his best to address any issue and promising that he would try to fix any problems in the future. Now it looks like the new management could care less about owners, as if they recognize they already have our $, and lie straight to your face telling you that all probelms are fixed. Our only hope is that the owners band together to address these issues.