Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Moving to Aruba/Living on Aruba

Moving to Aruba/Living on Aruba Curious? Ask.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Thursday, September 30th, 2010, 10:02 PM

Jerrie is on a distinguished road
Default Business ownership in Aruba

Hello folks...

I have a somewhat general question regarding foreigners owning a small/medium size business in Aruba (in retail, tourism, or real estate).

I've read a lot of information on this topic this past year including websites at the Chamber of Commerce, DIMAS, etc.

I understand the rules for Free Zone business investment and permit requirements for starting a business in Aruba but what I can't find is specific information regarding regulations about foreigners buying an existing business in aruba outside the Free Zone.

I've read general comments that there is a 51% Aruban national partnership necessary to start some businesses outside the Free Zone but I don't know if that is the law, if it is current today, if it applies to startinga business as opposed to buying an existing business already established. I've also read that there is no restrictions foreigners owning a business as long as there is local representation... so there seems to be some grey areas and blurry lines on the topic.

I've also read that there are certain businesses restricted from foreign ownership which are reserved for locals but don't know if that includes purchase of existing businesses or applies to new start-ups.

I'm hoping that someone can provide some info on these topics:

Can a foreigner (Canadian) own (buy or start) a business on Aruba outside of the Free Zone without an Aruban partner?

Are there specific businesses that foreigners are restricted for owning, such as retail or in tourism activity.

Can a foreigner own real estate (such as apartments) for rent and if so, do the same business/related permits apply because they are earning income on property rental?

I've done quite a bit of research but continue to hit these road blocks so I'm hoping some local or other knowledgable forum users can offer some info and help my wife an I realize a dream of owning and running a small business on beautiful Aruba!!

And one more question - Are hockey games available via satellite??

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook