Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Moving to Aruba/Living on Aruba

Moving to Aruba/Living on Aruba Curious? Ask.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Monday, February 1st, 2010, 08:50 AM

surlee is on a distinguished road
Wink So now we want to move there!

We think we could pull it off if a few things fell into place.

A little background info first.
We are both mid 30s, have always had fairly good jobs.
We own outright a property in a high demand cottage area in Canada.
Also have a nice condo on the waterfront in Toronto (the bank still owns a good % of this).

For us to move, we would need to sell both, settle up the bills leaving us with $80000-$100000 US. From the property searches I've done, we realize only a very modest house could be bought outright, but that's at least a foot in the door.

The big issue is employment.
I've worked fifteen years in the marine industry. I was a tugboat captain for ten years until last March when a new opportunity to work on a ferry, 500 feet from my home, came up.
To me, this seems like a good work history for someone seeking employment on an island, but I don't know how to proceed.

Wendy has been in offices all her life, the past few being an import manager, ensuring all steps from the purchase to the final delivery of products goes as smoothly as possible between China and all of Canada.
Again, this seems like a valuable asset to an island which is completely dependent on containerized delivery of nearly all goods.

Now the questions.

Is it too much of a pipe dream to think we can get approved (the proper government papers) to work in Aruba?

Does anyone have any contacts in either of the two fields, who might be looking for employees?

Are there any good resources for finding employment on Aruba?

Are we going about this the right way or is there a better way to find ourselves living and working on the island?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Lee.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook