Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Timeshare Owners' Corner > Aruba Beach Club

Aruba Beach Club This Forum is for Aruba Beach Club Resort Owners to post/exchange information about their resort. To list PRIVATE rentals,please click here. To list PRIVATE sales, please click here.

Old Monday, October 18th, 2010, 09:14 AM

denhuck is on a distinguished road
Default $10 Nightly Service for ABC Guests?

On the Sept/Oct Manager's Report I read this -

Commencing November 1
st, all Guests of members will be billed $10.00 nightly service, in addition tothe timeshare Tax, which has increase as of September 1st to $9.50 nightly for Superior and $10.28 nightly for 1-Bedroom Deluxe/Royal Superb accommodation. Energy sur charge remains the same, $8.90 nightly for Superior, $10.00 nightly for 1-Bedroom Deluxe/Royal Superb. The 2% room tax increase will be placed in a separate fund for the enhancement of the Tourism Product Aruba.

In the fall Newsletter I also read this -
Beginning immediately rules governing the number of guests allowed to occupy any given room will be enforced. The capacity of each room is governed by these rules. Some members have been abusing these rules by having large numbers of guests both visiting and sleeping in the rooms. This places an additional burden on the housekeeping staff and causes excessive wear and tear on the facilities in the room. Members violating these rules will be subject to a fine upon check-out.

My question is, has anyone asked or does anyone know how "Guests" is being defined? Is a guest anyone who occupies the room, or is a guest someone other than the owner of the week, or are guests defined as additional occupants in the room in excess of the capacity of the room (which makes sense to me)?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Monday, October 18th, 2010, 06:22 PM

LewLu is on a distinguished road
Angry Re: $10 Nightly Service for ABC Guests?

Members never voted for this additional $10.00 Fee. What is going on here? Members should call the board members on this issue.

The 2% increase of the tax is another hand in our pocket. Is Aruba going to kill the golden goose called tourism? Not Happy on this!
Old Monday, October 18th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Aruba Expert

ArubaMary is on a distinguished road
Default Re: $10 Nightly Service for ABC Guests?

This is the first I've heard of the additional $10 guest fee. As a long-time member of ABC and one who has never abused the 'guest' allowance in my apartments I find it an unnecessary tax. I have no problem with those who pack their rooms with guests and who make extra work for the staff being charge additional fees.
Old Sunday, October 24th, 2010, 10:02 AM

turcomar is on a distinguished road

I have sent an email in response to the Newsletter, as well as directly to Mr. Mintzer asking to define "guest". This is certainly NOT authorized by the By-Laws, and though I have not re-read the Articles of Association, I suspect they also do not authorize the board to assess such a tax.

This tax would amount to an additional $70 a week - so if you lend it out to a friend or relative, or if you try to rent it to a stranger, it will make the ABC timeshares less attractive for rentals, more rooms will go unused or we members will have to absorb it, which is essentially the Board "Taking" from what should be OUR PROPERTY - our right to use that week as we want.

It is unfair. I have already written, please go to our web site and send a letter or email to the Board.

GUEST - is it just one who doesn't own the room - so you if swap rooms, but are a member, are you a "guest" for that week? Is one who would accompany me a "guest"? Is a friend or relative who uses my room - with or without the same last name - a guest? Toooo vague and against the laws of the Club!
Old Sunday, October 24th, 2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhuck View Post
On the Sept/Oct Manager's Report I read this -
or are guests defined as additional occupants in the room in excess of the capacity of the room (which makes sense to me)?

No - later on in the newsletter they advised that if you exceed the # of occupants the room is supposed to have, at check out you will pay a fine. Again, vague.
Old Sunday, October 24th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: $10 Nightly Service for ABC Guests?

I hope you're lucky enough to get a response from the Board who seems to think they can arbitrarily make up their own rules as they go along, and not have to account to us, the owners! Where's this $10 going?

Instead of addressing the air conditioning problem, and getting it resolved, they're playing a new game!

One "can't" even ask a question at what USED to be a member's meeting, and has now become an orientation meeting! The silence is deafening!!
Old Sunday, October 24th, 2010, 10:36 AM

Angry # of Permitted occupants

Has anyone noticed... in the newsletter they said that too many people were having too many guests / occupants in their rooms, and the club was going to begin to enforce the rules.

I reviewed the web site, the page for "Rates and Reservations" and found that studio rooms are only suited for 2; the Deluxe (1 bathroom) for 3 persons, and the Superb (2 bathrooms) for 4.

WHat is this? Is this new? Last I checked, a queen bed was suited for 2, therefore the studios should be for 4 people, the deluxe has a pullout sofa, arguably for 1 or 2 more, and the superb, well they have 2 couches, though I am not sure if both are pullouts, but I used to think it slept 6!

When did these change? Can anyone recall different numbers? So what does a family with 2 children do? Pay a FINE for having a second child vacation with them?

This is just unconscionable!!!

By the way, there is NO mention of what the additional $10/day guest tax is to go toward, but I say this will make it hard to rent our timeshare!

Maria
Old Tuesday, October 26th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Unhappy Re: $10 Nightly Service for ABC Guests?

Per the newletter. The board will review the $10.00 service charge, and THEN it will be communicated to the membership? What happened to the "membership" having a yea or nay vote? And, did Farida, without anyone's consent or knowledge , just arbitrarily throw that "new rule" out there in her original newsletter?
Important Notice Oct 26, 2010

THE $10.00 SERVICE CHARGE PREVIOUSLY NOTED IN MY PREVIOUS MONTHLY REPORT AND IN THE LAST NEWSLETTER HAS TEMPORARILY BEEN SUSPENDED UNTIL THE BOARD REVIEWS IT FURTHER AT WHICH TIME IT WILL BE COMMUNICATED TO THE MEMBERSHIP.

FARIDA MANSUR

GENERAL MANAGER
Old Wednesday, October 27th, 2010, 07:16 PM

Kathy from Ohio is on a distinguished road

I doubt that Farieda would do anything without the board's consent and knowledge. I think too many members have written the board angered by what they attempted to do so they are reviewing it. I also think it could be illegal.

Also, the ABC newsletter regarding nominating candidates for board positions and the necessary qualifications has been retracted. Nowhere in the By-Laws does it state that a member has to have certain qualifications, including a CPA, to be considered for a board position.

Maybe, finally, the sleeping membership has awoken to see what this board is up to and maybe, just maybe, they can put a stop to it. We can only hope.
Old Wednesday, October 27th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Kathy, I totally agree with you! It insults one's intelligence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy from Ohio View Post
I doubt that Farieda would do anything without the board's consent and knowledge. I think too many members have written the board angered by what they attempted to do so they are reviewing it. I also think it could be illegal.

Also, the ABC newsletter regarding nominating candidates for board positions and the necessary qualifications has been retracted. Nowhere in the By-Laws does it state that a member has to have certain qualifications, including a CPA, to be considered for a board position.

Maybe, finally, the sleeping membership has awoken to see what this board is up to and maybe, just maybe, they can put a stop to it. We can only hope.