Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old Sunday, June 20th, 2010, 08:04 AM
lizzardo's Avatar
lizzardo lizzardo is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: May 31st, 2007
Location: Aruba
Posts: 775
lizzardo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bad experience at Sean's Jeweler

Any progress on this? Was just wondering. Had some people ask me about what jewelry stores were good. I won't recommend Sean's until I hear that they resolved your problem.
__________________
Aruba Kitten Rescue
www.arubakitten.org
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #52  
Old Sunday, June 20th, 2010, 09:39 AM
divirick divirick is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: April 27th, 2010
Location: Salem Ma,
Posts: 5
divirick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bad experience at Sean's Jeweler

This seems to be a Sean bashing, the buyer was taken care of by the twins. This link comes up way to often. I have and my wife also buys from Sean for many years. I spoke to him about this incident, and he has stated that it's not the customer that keeps this incident going. If ever there is a problem with any purchase from them, they will always make it right. Friends and relatives of mine will only go to the Twins, (Sean and Paul) for purchases, and are happy with everything they buy. We have been going to Seans for at least 18 years, and first meet him was when he worked for Nash jewelers. I think that enough has been said!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #53  
Old Sunday, June 20th, 2010, 10:13 AM
lizzardo's Avatar
lizzardo lizzardo is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: May 31st, 2007
Location: Aruba
Posts: 775
lizzardo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bad experience at Sean's Jeweler

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

"he has stated that it's not the customer that keeps this incident going"

"the buyer was taken care of by the twins."


I only asked if she got her replacement stone and ring back from Seans.

Your english is not great so maybe that's why i'm not understanding you. I want
to know from the person involved what happened. I will only recommend to people
if this was taken care of in the correct fashion.

I see you have only 4 posts... so I wonder what your motives are. You seem to be
the one who is doing the bashing here against someone who only asked what happened.
__________________
Aruba Kitten Rescue
www.arubakitten.org
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #54  
Old Sunday, June 20th, 2010, 12:48 PM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 50
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bad experience at Sean's Jeweler

i have contacted the customer who hopefully will post later. it should solve this discussion for now. both of you are right (lizzardo and divirick). the members are asking and at least some customers are happy with sean's jewelers. then again, some are or were not so we need to get janetb to tell us what is happening now. if they have satisfied her then this thread can be done with. if not, we will keep it open until they do.

divi, you have given a good side to the store as have a few others and a few have given negatives. the good thing about forums like this is the opportunity to hear both sides so everyone gets a chance. however, honestly, until the matter is settled, i will also be curious and won't want to recommend them.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #55  
Old Sunday, June 20th, 2010, 05:47 PM
JanetB's Avatar
JanetB JanetB is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 5th, 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 136
JanetB is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bad experience at Sean's Jeweler

I shipped the ring to CA on 5/17 per Sean's instructions and emailed them with the shipping charges (almost $60) which Sean's said they would pay. I received a "we'll be in touch" response from them and have yet to receive a credit for the shipping charges.

I emailed them on 6/8 asking for an update on the ring, as I have heard nothing, except from UPS, as I requested a signature delivery verification - it was signed for and delivered on 5/19. I received a response back from Sean's on 6/10 saying "thank you for the reminder - I am personally working on your jewelry and you will get it back shortly". I have a couple of issues with this - first of all - if you are personally working on my jewelry, why do you need a reminder? Second - I shipped the ring to a place in Los Angeles - and you are in Aruba - so how are you personally working on my ring.

I find it difficult to believe that it takes 4 weeks to replace a diamond in a ring and send it back. At this point, I'm beginning to wonder if I will receive the ring back and if they will give me the credit for the shipping.

I do not know who divirick is or who he is speaking to, but THIS customer has most definitely NOT been satisfied!
__________________
Visit my website www.janetsreef.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #56  
Old Monday, June 21st, 2010, 09:49 AM
arubabob's Avatar
arubabob arubabob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: April 28th, 2004
Location: oklahoma
Age: 76
Posts: 1,403
arubabob is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Bad experience at Sean's Jeweler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
i have contacted the customer who hopefully will post later. it should solve this discussion for now. both of you are right (lizzardo and divirick). the members are asking and at least some customers are happy with sean's jewelers. then again, some are or were not so we need to get janetb to tell us what is happening now. if they have satisfied her then this thread can be done with. if not, we will keep it open until they do.

divi, you have given a good side to the store as have a few others and a few have given negatives. the good thing about forums like this is the opportunity to hear both sides so everyone gets a chance. however, honestly, until the matter is settled, i will also be curious and won't want to recommend them.
It is easy to be happy or satisfied with any business for many years--as long as you dont have a problem. How they handle problems is the key to this thread. If you havnt had a problem, then you really cant comment on how well they handle one.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #57  
Old Monday, June 21st, 2010, 10:53 AM
Kathy from Ohio Kathy from Ohio is offline
Member
 
Join Date: April 28th, 2004
Location: Dayton, OH
Age: 68
Posts: 98
Kathy from Ohio is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bad experience at Sean's Jeweler

I have a problem with divirick's post because Sean's DOESN'T ALWAYS MAKE IT RIGHT. If he did, I might still be a customer. I say might because there were other issues with him as well.

I agree wholeheartedly with both Sherry's post and Aruba Bob's post. Unless you've had a problem with the twins, how can you comment on how they take care of you as a customer? I personally know how they treated me and I was once a loyal customer too.

I don't consider telling this forum what happened to me bashing Sean's Jewelers. It's the truth and you know what...sometimes the truth hurts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #58  
Old Tuesday, July 13th, 2010, 03:47 PM
JanetB's Avatar
JanetB JanetB is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 5th, 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 136
JanetB is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bad experience at Sean's Jeweler

Latest update - received a call from Paul on Friday telling me they needed my shipping address (I had included a letter in with the ring explaining the situation and providing all of my contact info). He stated they were over-nighting the ring back and I would receive it on Saturday, Monday at the latest and that I would be very happy with the ring. I have still not received the ring (it is now Tuesday afternoon) - I sent him an email last night to inform him I had not received the ring - and also reminding him they had never credited my cc for the almost $60 in shipping charges they said they would pay for - I have not received any response.
__________________
Visit my website www.janetsreef.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #59  
Old Tuesday, July 13th, 2010, 09:52 PM
roschone's Avatar
roschone roschone is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: September 28th, 2005
Posts: 801
roschone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bad experience at Sean's Jeweler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetB View Post
Latest update - received a call from Paul on Friday telling me they needed my shipping address (I had included a letter in with the ring explaining the situation and providing all of my contact info). He stated they were over-nighting the ring back and I would receive it on Saturday, Monday at the latest and that I would be very happy with the ring. I have still not received the ring (it is now Tuesday afternoon) - I sent him an email last night to inform him I had not received the ring - and also reminding him they had never credited my cc for the almost $60 in shipping charges they said they would pay for - I have not received any response.
Holy Moly, I can't believe this is still going on. I am glad you are sticking to your guns, and I for one thank you for the updates. Sometimes these threads get started, and we never find out how it turns out. Thanks for being so diligent about the updates. I'm hoping the "overnight" shipment was on Aruba time and you get your ring in the next day or so, although if I remember correctly, your ring is being shipped from CA - so there goes that theory. In any case, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #60  
Old Saturday, July 17th, 2010, 12:55 AM
JanetB's Avatar
JanetB JanetB is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 5th, 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 136
JanetB is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bad experience at Sean's Jeweler

The ring was received on Thursday - it was not shipped out of CA until Wednesday (probably after I emailed asking where it was). I received an email from Paul when he received notification from FedEx indicating the package had been delivered. He stated that they did not have a stone of the size in my ring so they had replaced it with one that is .25 carats larger at no additional charge to me and hoped I was once again a happy customer. I am certainly happy he did not charge me for the larger stone - as to whether I am happy with the new stone or not cannot be determined until it is appraised - I have an appointment on the 28th, so will post an update when that is complete.
__________________
Visit my website www.janetsreef.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #61  
Old Saturday, July 17th, 2010, 02:01 AM
droykelly's Avatar
droykelly droykelly is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: October 23rd, 2005
Location: MA
Posts: 349
droykelly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bad experience at Sean's Jeweler

This is like a bad soap opera! They've had the ring for just about two months & couldn't come up with a stone the same size? I hope the appraisal is good so you can finally be done with this.
__________________










I will not sit on the porch and watch life go by without participating!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #62  
Old Monday, July 19th, 2010, 09:14 PM
roschone's Avatar
roschone roschone is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: September 28th, 2005
Posts: 801
roschone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bad experience at Sean's Jeweler

Quote:
Originally Posted by droykelly View Post
This is like a bad soap opera! They've had the ring for just about two months & couldn't come up with a stone the same size? I hope the appraisal is good so you can finally be done with this.

yeah, ditto from me.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #63  
Old Thursday, July 29th, 2010, 10:25 PM
JanetB's Avatar
JanetB JanetB is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 5th, 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 136
JanetB is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bad experience at Sean's Jeweler

Final Update:

I took the ring to my appraiser and she verified the replacement stone is not fractured. It is a bit larger (1.23 vs 1.01) than the old stone and is a better quality. By being a bit larger and not fractured, it raised the appraisal on the ring from $4150 to $7150 - for those of you who forgot, I paid $4000 for the ring ($2100 in cash and $1900 for a 5 stone diamond ring I traded in). So I at least now feel I was not taken to the cleaners.

Am I happy? I would not associate that word with this experience. I will say I am satisfied with the resolution however, I don't think anyone should have to go through what I have. This started at the beginning of April and we are now at the end of July.

BTW - I have yet to see a credit for the shipping charges which I was told Sean's would reimburse.

Will I do business with Sean's again? No. Someone pointed out that being happy with a merchant is all about how they handle things when there is a problem - and as far as I'm concerned this has been a nightmare experience which I do not want to repeat.

4 months after the nightmare started, I finally have a ring which is worth more than I paid for it - however, looking at it brings up memories of this nightmare, so I don't think I'll ever be happy with it. I've bought many other pieces of jewelry over the years - it should be a happy experience and when you wear a piece of jewelry it should make you feel happy.

Anyone want to buy a ring??
__________________
Visit my website www.janetsreef.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #64  
Old Friday, July 30th, 2010, 08:07 PM
droykelly's Avatar
droykelly droykelly is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: October 23rd, 2005
Location: MA
Posts: 349
droykelly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bad experience at Sean's Jeweler

I'm very glad to hear that the ring is worth more than you paid for it and certainly understand the feelings you have when you look at it. I hope someday you find you can actually enjoy it!
__________________










I will not sit on the porch and watch life go by without participating!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #65  
Old Saturday, July 31st, 2010, 01:50 AM
amarg amarg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: July 9th, 2010
Posts: 61
amarg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bad experience at Sean's Jeweler

From personal experience I can say that things like this happen all over and I can totally relate to how Janet felt.
My hubby and I went to jeweler here in Toronto, Canada almost two years ago to pick out my engagement ring. Like many women, I knew pretty much what I wanted and was super excited about finally getting it. I chose a setting that had 3 square cut diamonds, one large stone flanked by two smaller ones on either side. While in the store, the jeweler/owner, showed me a prototype ring and the loose stones that would go into the ring. We discussed every single detail including cut, clarity, color, size, setting, the gold, you name it. We paid a deposit towards the hefty price tag and left.
My partner got the call a few weeks later to come pick up the ring and since he wanted to propose on a special night despite me helping choose the ring, he went alone, picked it up and paid the balance owing. He briefly looked at the ring but being the type he is, he didn't look to closely and trusted the jeweler that everything was fine since he'd shopped there before, and so had his friends.
Well, he proposed a few nights later and I immediately saw that the wrong was wrong. I didn't want to ruin the moment so kept mum til the next morning. Instead of 3 diamonds as discussed and PAID for, the ring had on center diamond and 4 little diamonds forming a square on either side, so 9 diamonds but 8 of them essentially diamond chips and worthless! I was furious. The cost of 2 large stones is not equivalent to the cost of 8 little stones, no way, no how!
So my husband called the owner and explained the situation and asked for an explanation. Well she said that they couldn't "find" stones of matching color and clarity to the center stone I'd wanted and so improvised to make me happy. Really? What about the stones she showed us or asking us first? She also said that she valued the ring especially well for us in the appraisal we got with the ring as a "favor" so that if anything every happened to the ring i.e. loss or theft, the insurance pay off would be to our advantage. That's when I looked at the appraisal and it was for almost $5000 more than we'd paid. How does that work? I wondered if the appraisal was even real. Can jewelers just appraise the ring however they like? Isn't there some sort of standard or set point? I wasn't happy, I was even more suspicious and pissed off. She went on to say that since he'd paid for the ring in full and accepted it and taken it home, that meant she'd fulfilled her end of the contract he'd deemed it acceptable by his actions. There was nothing further she could do.
I think it would be an understatement to say I was livid! I felt ripped off, hurt and powerless. She had ruined my engagement ring and everytime I look at it, I feel anger instead of love like I'd dreamed of.
To top it off, one of the diamond "chips" fell out so we had to take it in to have it replaced. She had the audacity to charge us for the diamond! Then she said that because we'd been disappointed in the ring, she'd only charge us for the diamond, not labor. I swear if I was a violent person I would have smacked her. I've never had the desire so strongly in my life before, I had to bite my tongue and leave the store.
Suffice to say, I will never shop there again and neither will anyone I know. I have told her this and so have others and she doesn't care. She is located in China Town and has plenty of customers and more suckers and tourists who come in daily. That would be how she affords her very large yellow diamond princess cut diamond ring.
I also look at my ring and remember the experience we had so am so sorry about yours and good for you for posting on here. Hope you find peace one day.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #66  
Old Saturday, July 31st, 2010, 07:00 AM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 50
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bad experience at Sean's Jeweler

most appraisals are for insurance purposes only and for the ego of the buyer who wants to believe they got a bargain. jewelers can do what they want with quoting value. i know what my jewelry has been appraised at and there is no way in this world i think the appraisals are correct. i personally think that if you buy a ring you should be entitled to take it to an independent appraiser not associated with a store for a correct evaluation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarg View Post
From personal experience I can say that things like this happen all over and I can totally relate to how Janet felt.
My hubby and I went to jeweler here in Toronto, Canada almost two years ago to pick out my engagement ring. Like many women, I knew pretty much what I wanted and was super excited about finally getting it. I chose a setting that had 3 square cut diamonds, one large stone flanked by two smaller ones on either side. While in the store, the jeweler/owner, showed me a prototype ring and the loose stones that would go into the ring. We discussed every single detail including cut, clarity, color, size, setting, the gold, you name it. We paid a deposit towards the hefty price tag and left.
My partner got the call a few weeks later to come pick up the ring and since he wanted to propose on a special night despite me helping choose the ring, he went alone, picked it up and paid the balance owing. He briefly looked at the ring but being the type he is, he didn't look to closely and trusted the jeweler that everything was fine since he'd shopped there before, and so had his friends.
Well, he proposed a few nights later and I immediately saw that the wrong was wrong. I didn't want to ruin the moment so kept mum til the next morning. Instead of 3 diamonds as discussed and PAID for, the ring had on center diamond and 4 little diamonds forming a square on either side, so 9 diamonds but 8 of them essentially diamond chips and worthless! I was furious. The cost of 2 large stones is not equivalent to the cost of 8 little stones, no way, no how!
So my husband called the owner and explained the situation and asked for an explanation. Well she said that they couldn't "find" stones of matching color and clarity to the center stone I'd wanted and so improvised to make me happy. Really? What about the stones she showed us or asking us first? She also said that she valued the ring especially well for us in the appraisal we got with the ring as a "favor" so that if anything every happened to the ring i.e. loss or theft, the insurance pay off would be to our advantage. That's when I looked at the appraisal and it was for almost $5000 more than we'd paid. How does that work? I wondered if the appraisal was even real. Can jewelers just appraise the ring however they like? Isn't there some sort of standard or set point? I wasn't happy, I was even more suspicious and pissed off. She went on to say that since he'd paid for the ring in full and accepted it and taken it home, that meant she'd fulfilled her end of the contract he'd deemed it acceptable by his actions. There was nothing further she could do.
I think it would be an understatement to say I was livid! I felt ripped off, hurt and powerless. She had ruined my engagement ring and everytime I look at it, I feel anger instead of love like I'd dreamed of.
To top it off, one of the diamond "chips" fell out so we had to take it in to have it replaced. She had the audacity to charge us for the diamond! Then she said that because we'd been disappointed in the ring, she'd only charge us for the diamond, not labor. I swear if I was a violent person I would have smacked her. I've never had the desire so strongly in my life before, I had to bite my tongue and leave the store.
Suffice to say, I will never shop there again and neither will anyone I know. I have told her this and so have others and she doesn't care. She is located in China Town and has plenty of customers and more suckers and tourists who come in daily. That would be how she affords her very large yellow diamond princess cut diamond ring.
I also look at my ring and remember the experience we had so am so sorry about yours and good for you for posting on here. Hope you find peace one day.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #67  
Old Saturday, July 31st, 2010, 08:52 AM
droykelly's Avatar
droykelly droykelly is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: October 23rd, 2005
Location: MA
Posts: 349
droykelly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bad experience at Sean's Jeweler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
most appraisals are for insurance purposes only and for the ego of the buyer who wants to believe they got a bargain. jewelers can do what they want with quoting value. i know what my jewelry has been appraised at and there is no way in this world i think the appraisals are correct. i personally think that if you buy a ring you should be entitled to take it to an independent appraiser not associated with a store for a correct evaluation.
Appraisals are a catch 22.......... I think that's why it's typical for insurance companies to write policies for replacement value & provide a list of jewelers to go to for the replacement.

That works if you have an inflated appraisal but not if you have one done by an independent appraiser. Make sure you have good photos of your jewelry and be prepared to fight with your insurance company for a check instead of a replacement if their recommended jeweler can't come up with a suitable replacement.
__________________










I will not sit on the porch and watch life go by without participating!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #68  
Old Saturday, July 31st, 2010, 12:44 PM
JanetB's Avatar
JanetB JanetB is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 5th, 2004
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 136
JanetB is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bad experience at Sean's Jeweler

You should always have your jewelry appraised by an independent appraiser who is not associated with a jewelry store. You should never take the word of an appraisal from the store where you purchased the piece.

An appraisal should provide the value of what replacing the piece at full retail would cost. That is why I was so upset about the ring appraising for what I paid for it. Basically that meant I had paid full retail price for the ring - and if I am going to do that, I'd much rather purchase here in the states where it's much easier to deal with any problems. Aruba advertises that you get really good deals on their jewelry, so that is what I've come to expect there - pieces I've bought in the past appraise much higher than what I've paid for them.

However, on the other hand, you do not want an appraiser that greatly inflates the price of a piece so you'll get a good deal if something happens to it. The way insurance works is that you have to pay premiums for it in order for it to pay out if something happens or you lose the piece. And the premiums are based on the appraised value. So unless you frequently lose pieces of jewelry or the stones fall out of them (which might raise a few red flags with the insurance company in and of itself), over the years you're probably going to pay way more in premiums than needed for something you might never collect on. You want an appraisal that is a fair market value for the piece. Also - if you have pieces that are valued very high and/or include large stones it is a good idea to have those pieces re-appraised every few years and update your insurance policies. I have 1 piece that has increased in value over $12K in the past 5 years. Not sure if it is the norm or not, but my appraiser (who is independent) charges a reduced rate for re-appraisals, as she's already got everything about the piece in her computer - she just checks the stones to make sure there is no damage and that they are still the same size and quality and then updates the $ amount with today's rates.
__________________
Visit my website www.janetsreef.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #69  
Old Saturday, July 31st, 2010, 05:15 PM
amarg amarg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: July 9th, 2010
Posts: 61
amarg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bad experience at Sean's Jeweler

See I didn't know any of this and appreciate the advice. I do not have any other pieces like this (I wish, lol!) so don't know how it works. I assumed home owners insurance covered it. Do I have to get jewelery insurance?

I will definitely go get it independently appraised. I have known I need to but have put it off as part of me is scared to find out the truth. I already feel so upset that if it's worth even less than we paid, I will be livid and upset all over again. Sometimes I think let it go, forget it but then I know realistically that an appraisal needs to be done.

Aruba sounds like India where I'm from. Gold is much cheaper there but buyer beware!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #70  
Old Saturday, July 31st, 2010, 07:01 PM
droykelly's Avatar
droykelly droykelly is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: October 23rd, 2005
Location: MA
Posts: 349
droykelly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bad experience at Sean's Jeweler

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarg View Post
See I didn't know any of this and appreciate the advice. I do not have any other pieces like this (I wish, lol!) so don't know how it works. I assumed home owners insurance covered it. Do I have to get jewelery insurance?

I will definitely go get it independently appraised. I have known I need to but have put it off as part of me is scared to find out the truth. I already feel so upset that if it's worth even less than we paid, I will be livid and upset all over again. Sometimes I think let it go, forget it but then I know realistically that an appraisal needs to be done.

Aruba sounds like India where I'm from. Gold is much cheaper there but buyer beware!
Your homeowners may cover small pieces, but the expensive stuff needs appraisals & a rider on the policy. I put anything that I can't afford to replace, or won't replace without thinking long & hard about the cost, on my rider. The insurance company generally wants new appraisals every few years & the rider premiums are based on the value of the jewelry.

You also need to make sure you have the settings checked periodically. I lost a diamond once and it wasn't covered because the insurance company considered it carelessness. They said it hadn't been properly maintained and wouldn't cover it. I found the stone in one of the holes in the washing machine the next day !
__________________










I will not sit on the porch and watch life go by without participating!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #71  
Old Saturday, July 31st, 2010, 08:37 PM
dwippies's Avatar
dwippies dwippies is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: April 15th, 2004
Age: 50
Posts: 8,821
dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bad experience at Sean's Jeweler

amarg, droykelly gave you excellent advice. aruba is the same as anywhere with jewelry. you have to know what you are buying and you have to trust the place you buy from.

my daughter is living in delhi at the moment and she says shopping can be very interesting, lol. she truly loves india.

Quote:
Originally Posted by droykelly View Post
Your homeowners may cover small pieces, but the expensive stuff needs appraisals & a rider on the policy. I put anything that I can't afford to replace, or won't replace without thinking long & hard about the cost, on my rider. The insurance company generally wants new appraisals every few years & the rider premiums are based on the value of the jewelry.

You also need to make sure you have the settings checked periodically. I lost a diamond once and it wasn't covered because the insurance company considered it carelessness. They said it hadn't been properly maintained and wouldn't cover it. I found the stone in one of the holes in the washing machine the next day !
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #72  
Old Monday, August 2nd, 2010, 11:24 AM
JohnJT JohnJT is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: April 21st, 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 437
JohnJT is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bad experience at Sean's Jeweler

I know this is off the topic somewhat, but what is the amount that one can bring back to the US with paying duty? We're not thinking of large jewelry purchases, but might buy somethings that stay under the limit (for 2).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #73  
Old Tuesday, August 3rd, 2010, 08:15 AM
lizzardo's Avatar
lizzardo lizzardo is offline
Aruba Expert
 
Join Date: May 31st, 2007
Location: Aruba
Posts: 775
lizzardo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bad experience at Sean's Jeweler

10k USD per person cash or coins or other 'monetary' instruments..

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/va...kbyg/money.xml

As for stuff like jewelry - I think this page applies

Determining Duty - CBP.gov
__________________
Aruba Kitten Rescue
www.arubakitten.org
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 2006 -2011 - CaribMedia.com