Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Timeshare Owners' Corner > Marriott Surf Club

Marriott Surf Club This Forum is for Marriott Surf Club Owners to post/exchange information about their resort. To list PRIVATE rentals,please click here. To list PRIVATE sales, please click here.

Old Thursday, May 28th, 2009, 03:44 PM

TheJerseyGuy is on a distinguished road
Smile Anything I need to know?

I will be headed to the Surf Club in 2 days(yeah!). We've never been to Aruba and are looking forward to the trip. I just stumbled across this website and it looks to provide some good info. Is there any tips anyone has to offer?
Thanks,
TheJerseyGuy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, May 28th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Anything I need to know?

first think i will tell you is SUNSCREEN, SUNSCREEN, AND MORE SUNSCREEN!!! seriously, first timers tend to become 'lobsters in pain'. it is a stronger sun than you are used to.

now, the next questions are for you... types of foods you like? do you like to gamble? what types of foods and price range? do you want to lie on the beach or see the island or both? Snorkel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJerseyGuy View Post
I will be headed to the Surf Club in 2 days(yeah!). We've never been to Aruba and are looking forward to the trip. I just stumbled across this website and it looks to provide some good info. Is there any tips anyone has to offer?
Thanks,
TheJerseyGuy
Old Thursday, May 28th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Almost Aruban

charlierat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJerseyGuy View Post
Thanks,
TheJerseyGuy
Great choice for a vacation destination! There are reasons why Aruba has the highest repeat visitor rate in the Caribbean; first time visitors like yourself often become lifetime devotees.

That being said, how much do you already know about the island? Do you already know that the island has an extremely dry climate? The upside of that is that pretty much every day is guaranteed to offer beautiful weather. The other side of the same coin is that the scenery on the island is more like a desert than a tropical rainforest. There is still a lot to be said for the unique and rugged landscape that Aruba offers but I hope you weren't expecting Hawaii.

For specific recommendations on what to do while on Aruba, I would have to know more about you. Without knowing any more about what you like and don't like, let me offer the following suggestion. Don't plan too much ahead of time. Aruba has a wide variety of restaurants and land and sea activities. If you want to, you can account for every waking minute with pre-planned activities. But one of the great pleasures of being on vacation is being able to relax and de-stress. Leave a lot of time unaccounted for. You can fill it if you like or spend it all doing nothing at all. Either way, it's your vacation.

One more suggestion: at some point in your vacation, take an island tour. Get away from the resorts and see what Aruba really looks and feels like. You can cover the entire island in half a day and accomodations run the gamut from air-conditioned bus tours to rental cars and jeeps (and horses).

Most of all, enjoy yourself! Ask lots of questions, too. People around here love to answer questions.
Old Thursday, May 28th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Anything I need to know?

sherry and charlie basically covered everything... but, without knowing your likes and dislikes, it's hard to give advice.

For me, sitting on the beach, drink in hand, watching the sunset is the absolute best. As many times as I've seen it, I'm still totally in awe.

I would ask that when you return, come back onboard and tell us what you thought. We love hearing "newbies" thoughts about our favorite island.

Safe travels... relax, enjoy, and do whatever it is that makes your vacation exactly what you want it to be.
Old Friday, May 29th, 2009, 11:11 AM

TheJerseyGuy is on a distinguished road

First, thank you all for the info/suggestions. I've done some research already on the dining and activities. I was wondering if there were any 'gotchas' or if there is anything specific about the Surf Club I need to know.... Again, thanks for the updates and I can't wait to enjoy!
Old Saturday, May 30th, 2009, 07:09 AM

bhoffdhoff is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Anything I need to know?

Skip Happy Hour at the Marriott. The drinks are expensive! We only do Happy Hour there the day we check in (so we have a drink in hand as we wait to check in). Instead, go down the beach to either the Holiday Inn or Playa Linda.
Be nice to the people at the Towel Hut. They take alot of grief from vacationers.
Tip the young men who set up your beach chairs. Remember, they work in the hot sun all day and always with a smile.
Go to Champions (right next door at Marriott Ocean Club) one night for Kareoke (sp?). It's fun to watch and it seems everyone has a great time.
Most of all, just relax, and have fun. You're on vacation!! The biggest decision you'll have to make is, which of the many, many wonderful restaurants will you have dinner at tonight?

Bobbie
Old Friday, June 26th, 2009, 09:36 AM

CandeeC is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Anything I need to know?

Jersey Guy how was your trip to the Marriott?? We will be staying at the surf Club in March, any tips on how things work there...
Old Thursday, August 27th, 2009, 02:20 PM

islanddog is on a distinguished road
One Happy Island Re: Anything I need to know?

hi candee, i hope that both you and jersy guy respond back. i haven't been on here in a few months.

regarding the surf club, the place is simply a lot of fun, and there is security, both uniformed and otherwise all over the place. "an ounce of prevention". the beach is very nice, and is is a nice stroll in either direction on that white sand.

reserving palapas, (huts) or shades, can be a little confusing when you first get there, so check that out if you are so inclined. there are several free, both on the beach and near the pool i believe they all are.

the accomodations are outstanding, and housekeeping does a nice job readying your villa, so take good care of them when you check out. they work very hard.

the towel situation could cost you a few bucks if you are careless about retrieving your towels. you are allotted eight for a two bedroom, and you can trade them in pretty much once a day, but we did wash some in the vills sometimes when we were over quota for the day. they'll let you know. just don't lose the towels, as they keep close tabs.

the pool is a real treat. the lazy river is a vacation in iteslf. if you have a crew of kids, they will love it, as well as the adults and seniors too. ti's great.

the staff is always responsive, and the grounds are spotless except for one huge blemish. this is a real sore spot for me. there are adequate grills around the property, adn the work well, once you figure out the lighting of them. can be tricky. the areas directly around the grills looks grungy and dirty. it is truly a shame that they dont maintain the grilling equpiment better. it is cleaned every day, but there are parts missing here and there, and the environment aroung the grills is lousy. i have complained twice, and we will be back in march to see if they did anything.

i would love to hear what you have to say about that particular part. one would think that the part of the resort that folks would be bringing and preparing their food would be spotless like the rest of the resort.

if you are a snorkeler, go to baby beach. so much fun. there are several places to snorkel, but this is protected and just lovely.

if you have not yet made your plane reservations, think about arriving a couple days early and staying at the rennaissance for 2 nights at least, we do three. you have access to their private island and i tell you it is a breathtaking place to spend a whole day. there is food there, and drinks, and if you don't make it too obvious, you can bring a small cooler. it's hard to describe how pretty and peaceful it is there, but i guarantee you will be smiling as you approach the dock, and your face will hurt from smile and happy when you leave, and you will be truly unwound. they pick you up at a dock in the hotel lobby, or outside, and several times an hour so you can stay as long, or go back whenever. a must.

fall in love with aruba. enjoy. i hope you let us all know how you love it when you come back. and i want to know where you eat. the restaurants are outstanding, and so many. very diverse.
Old Saturday, August 29th, 2009, 12:16 PM

Talking Re: Anything I need to know?

IslandDog thanks for all the info. When in March will you be there?? This will be our 3rd visit to Aruba. I can't wait to get back ... Where in NY are you?? I'm in up state just outside of Syracuse...
Old Sunday, August 30th, 2009, 10:21 PM

we'll be at the rennaissance from the 11th to the 14th, ( have to chill at their island for a couple days) then to the surf club for a week, and the night of the 21st we will be staying somewhere, not sure where yet. my son has a friend he worked with in washington, who lives on the island now, really nice new house too. we may stay with him, or just a hotel for one night. extra night at the surf club is well over 400 bucks. i normally wouldn't care about the price for one night, but hey, we are owners, and they could cut a little slack. so we will stay elsewhere. we are staying the extra night as it is aboiut 250 bucks cheaper, each, to fly out on monday the 22nd, as opposed to sunday.

we are in spencerport, just west of rochester. have always been in the rochester area. retired as a cop in 2000, now building numerous kitchens and baths, windows and a bunch of other stuff. i own a company here called the adirondack design company. you might have heard of it, maybe not. i don't get to syracuse too often, but we're doing a lot.

was in syracuse a few weeks ago for a wedding. a place i think called minola? reception and overnight at the doubletree, was nice. used to work for an investigative company in east syracuse right after i retired, called amric. only did that a short time.
Old Monday, August 31st, 2009, 10:47 AM

Islanddog-March can't come fast enough... I wish I could go in Novemeber but instead we go to hammondsport for the weekend and stay in a B&B do a little wine tasting and purchasing for Thanksgiving .. Have you been to the Natural Pool? Is there any way there without all the rough terrain? We went there 2 years ago and the jeep ride was horrible. Couldn't wait to get back to resort!! Well maybe we'll meet up in Aruba you never know.
Old Monday, August 31st, 2009, 08:25 PM

we've never been to the natural pool, but i know the terrain is treacherous, but fun!!!

have you been to the donkey sanctuary?? what a scream. take a bag of cut up apples, and hang out fore a few hours. if you have kids with you, they will love it. you can brush and pet them, there are big and small ones. it's kinda neat. run by volunteers.

if you get a chance, you should try cook's restaurant. i have not eaten there but several on this forum have, and love both the food and the atmosphere. i stopped in this spring to see the owner and help him figure out some logistical problems with installing an elevator, and was very impressed by this place. i can't wait to eat there.

i don't know how many of you there are, but we have eaten at madame janette, and papiamento, both pricey, butvery nice, and worth the memories once a trip. outstanding service too. we tried a place called casa tua, what a great and pleasant surprise. thought it would be a pixxa joint, but way more, very cool, but a long steep stairway to the second floor to the dining room, in case you travel with older folks or disabled but ver rerasonable and very nice. we went to paseo di herencia near the hyatt, holiday inn area, near the surf club kinda. very cool spot to walk around, and they have a great churrascario there, texas de brazil. go hungry.

when in march are you going? it would be kinda neat to run into someone from pasty white upstate new york. at least this year with all the rain and so little sun. my wife and i usually travel with our 2 adult kids, twetysomethings, and a girlfriend, and my folks who are 75 and 82. wish we had grandchildren to bring. someday.

make sure you get the visit aruba card when you go. lots of discounts, and the paddock gives out a free t-shirt. paddock has amstel bright, good beer. kinda of an outside beer dive, but good bar food. great location, across from the rennaissance. a little swim, a few munchies and a beer, a little hot tub, and a few more beers and more bar food. life is rough there. then, finally down to the marriott and off to the lazy river. ahhhhhhhhh.
Old Tuesday, September 1st, 2009, 09:38 AM

Islanddog :We'll be at the Surf Club March 14-26. Yup you'll know us by the pastey color we are.We have ate at Papiamento really enjoyed it. Will probably make it one of our dinners out. We will be with another couple who own at Surf Club, reason why we bought at Surf Club. Last year we took our daughters ages 28 and 31 with their husbands stayed at Westin (all inclusive) had a great time. Stayed at Westin year before and had a wonderful time. Donkey santuary sounds fun. We would like to make it to Charlies Bar near Baby Beach have you been there before?? Where is that restaurant you mentioned Cooks located??
Old Tuesday, September 1st, 2009, 10:03 AM

haven't been to charlie's but should stop in.

baby beach is wonderful. little trailer there with so so beach food, just something to keep you going. the snorkeling there is way cool. bring a few bucks to rent a little tent and a few chairs. it's worth it if you want to spend more than a couple hours there. the sun will do you in. arashi beach, up near the light house is nice too, a little less crowded, and a lot of huts that are open to the public for shade. folks are willing to sheare, they are wide open and large.

cooks is a few minute from the rennaissance, on the back street, on a corner. go to cooksrestaurant.com, and look at the menu, and you can make reservations. directions are there too. the owner, known to us as ommi, is a super guy, and has great depth of chefs in the kitchen. the new menu looks outstanding, and i can't wait to try it all. he has family history with the building, and is putting big bucks and a lot of effort into making it even more awesome. i think he is planning on being there for a long time. there is a thread in the restaurant section called cooks restaurant too. looks like we'll be there at the same time. i hope our crews get to hook up and say hi. when it gets closer, we could make some arrangements i'm sure. we don't run on any tight schedule so it would be fun i'm sure. ok, well, another dry day, off to stain the deck, seeya.
Old Tuesday, October 6th, 2009, 08:41 PM

iamromo is on a distinguished road

You won't like it. Too hot...too windy..too crowded...just kidding! My wife and I will be going back in April for our 10th time. If you have a pool side room up high, look towards the Holiday Inn. You will see what is a parking garage in the distance by the Holiday Inn. It is within walking distance. It is a new shopping area with resturants, shops and a movie theater. It surprised us when we walked down at night. The lighthouse resturant is very romantic at sunset...also dinner at night on the beach at the Marriott. You have to go downtown especially the street vendors...prices much lower. Aruba is heaven on earth!
Old Wednesday, February 10th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Aruba Expert

roschone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandeeC View Post
Islanddog :We'll be at the Surf Club March 14-26. Yup you'll know us by the pastey color we are.We have ate at Papiamento really enjoyed it. Will probably make it one of our dinners out. We will be with another couple who own at Surf Club, reason why we bought at Surf Club. Last year we took our daughters ages 28 and 31 with their husbands stayed at Westin (all inclusive) had a great time. Stayed at Westin year before and had a wonderful time. Donkey santuary sounds fun. We would like to make it to Charlies Bar near Baby Beach have you been there before?? Where is that restaurant you mentioned Cooks located??

You should definitely stop by Charlie's Bar - It's a one-of-a-kind place and run by a great bunch of guys. We've been going for years. The food is pricey for a bar, but pretty tasty. We usally stop there after a Baby Beach day and ordinarily only have beer. But they do have some great shrimp. You HAVE to see how this place is decorated. And that's all I'll divulge 'cause you have to see and experience it for yourself. By the way, we go in March as well. Maybe we could ALL go to Charlie's one day....

Tags
surf club