Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Monday, September 7th, 2009, 09:05 AM

aquaman is on a distinguished road
Default Check your credit card statement carefully

My wife and her friend visited the Island late June and 1st week of July. While there, they used their Visa Card at The Pirates Nest, at Divi Phoenix Sunset Restaurant and at the perfume store in the main building in Oranjestad.

This past week the statement arrived with over $3000 of fraudulent charges! The charges were made after they left the island at the following locations, neither of which they visited. Seasons Fashion II and Busters Garage.....there were 5 charges for Busters.....

Again this shows that "Cash is King" or Travellers cheques may be the way to go

aquaman
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Monday, September 7th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Administrator

dwippies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Check your credit card statement carefully

sorry to hear about this aqua. as we all know, it happens everywhere but it hurts to see it happen on our island.

from personal experience, travelers checks are the way to go. obviously, with a credit card from a major company, it will eventually get straightened out but until then you could have a battle on your hands. a debit card is harder to prove and takes much longer. cash is only insured, no matter what company you are with, for $200 (been there, done that, lost $2400). travelers checks, especially amex are replaced almost immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
My wife and her friend visited the Island late June and 1st week of July. While there, they used their Visa Card at The Pirates Nest, at Divi Phoenix Sunset Restaurant and at the perfume store in the main building in Oranjestad.

This past week the statement arrived with over $3000 of fraudulent charges! The charges were made after they left the island at the following locations, neither of which they visited. Seasons Fashion II and Busters Garage.....there were 5 charges for Busters.....

Again this shows that "Cash is King" or Travellers cheques may be the way to go

aquaman
Old Monday, September 7th, 2009, 02:46 PM

bhoffdhoff is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Check your credit card statement carefully

When we were in Aruba this past Feb, the only place we had used our cc was at the front desk of the Ocean Club when we checked in. Five days later, we were going to rent a car and our cc was declined. I immediately called Chase and they had shut our card right down. Seems there were 3 very small internet charges made AFTER we checked in. I was so greatful that they were on the ball. That was on a Thurs afternoon. Sat morning new cards were delivered to our room. I complained at the front desk, but alot of good that did!! Sounds like we were alot luckier than you, Aquaman. Good luck getting it all straightened out!

Bobbie
Old Monday, September 7th, 2009, 04:17 PM

Charles is on a distinguished road

I always check my credit card balance every morning on the internet. That way if there is any problem I can correct it at once.
Old Monday, September 7th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Aruba Expert

ArubaMary is on a distinguished road

Aquaman, thank you very much for the heads-up. I am so sorry you had to go through that and I hope you managed to straighten it out with no cost to you. I will definitely heed your warning and take Traverlers checks in February.
Old Tuesday, September 8th, 2009, 10:24 AM

lindaspooky is on a distinguished road

Several years ago we had the same problem and didn't know until we were home and got a call from Chase. The card was used for internet purchases. They told us to make sure we call and tell them whenever we go away so they can monitor. Even if just one of us goes away I notify them that there will be charges in different states at the same time.
Luckily we haven't had a problem since.

Linda
Old Thursday, September 10th, 2009, 07:23 AM

SunSeeker is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the warning. It is such a pity if this happens.
I never use my credit card. ATMs are overall on the island.
I understand credit cardís are a regular payment method in the US. In Europe we prefer pin (ATM). A lot safer in my opinion.
Old Thursday, September 10th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Aruba Expert

Weed is on a distinguished road

When I travel, I carry only two, maybe three, credit cards. I call the customer service numbers and give them both the departure and return dates and areas I will be traveling through/to. I do this even when I'm just going to California or Hawaii. This wouldn't prevent fraudulent charges when on the island during those dates, but at least would make the card useless once I returned home. I once had a Chase VISA purchase declined when I was trying to buy about $1000 of SCUBA equipment not far from home. Guess they didn't think I fit the profile of a diver!
Old Thursday, September 24th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Aruba Expert

lizzardo is on a distinguished road

Have been hearing other stories about fraud lately - also something about bad US $100 bills here.

This seems to happen as the "tourist" season approaches and comes. Pay cash in little places and just hope for the best. And always use your
credit card NOT your debit card to pay for things. I don't know if the US laws have changed but you may not have the same "fraud" protection using your debit card PLUS it has the added problem if they wipe out your checking account.

I'm sure this happens at any resort place in the world. I used to do a huge credit card payment system in a previous life - these people make tons of money and the credit card companies and the banks like to keep it their "dirty little secret". Had a friend in DC who had his card number stolen actually tracked the person down but since it was below X amt of dollars - the police did nothing. Even tho you are required to file a police report because one state (and in Aruba's case country) doesn't communicate with another place - these people have way to little to fear.
Old Sunday, September 27th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Aruba Expert

TomFrederick is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Check your credit card statement carefully

>>>> "until then you could have a battle on your hands"
----- The credit card company can tell when a charge is manually enterred and card not swipped.
My wife was on a trip out West and her charge number was used in another city about 10 miles away for over $1,000. Since the charge card was not swipped they removed it over the phone. The company/shop out there would have a battle and not us. Never heard a word from my charge company about what happen. We also got a new card with new number.
>>>> " these people have way to little to fear.
----- I would hope if the company/shop on the other end who would be out the $$$ would go after their employee/friend/person who enterred the charge manually.

Last edited by TomFrederick; Sunday, September 27th, 2009 at 08:33 AM.