Aruba vacation and travel information on Aruba hotels, beaches, restaurants and so much more

Go Back   Aruba Forums at Visit Aruba > Aruba Q & A > Aruba in General

Aruba in General All general questions about Aruba.

Old Thursday, October 18th, 2012, 12:34 PM

solo118 is on a distinguished road
Default Setar Sim Card for Prepaid

Hi All

I am going to Aruba in January (Marriott), and of course I want to be fully prepared!

I have used Digicel in the past, but it looks like Setar has a pretty decent prepaid plan I can use with my iPhone which is unlocked.

I am aware that Setar has a location in the airport, and a couple others around town. The problem is I have always seen huge lines at Setar which is why I went for Digicel in the past.

Is there any way I can purchase a prepaid Setar sim card in advance and activate it when I arrive? Would it be worthwhile to contact the Setar sales crew or Concierge of the Marriott?

Other than that maybe somebody on this forum can sell me their sim card that I load money onto
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old Thursday, October 18th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Almost Aruban

Liz from N.J. is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Setar Sim Card for Prepaid

I never see any lines at Setar or Digicell boths at the airport. Digitcel booth is to the right and Setar to the left when you get into the lobby area.
Old Friday, October 19th, 2012, 07:13 PM

classiclincoln is on a distinguished road

For what it's worth, I had a problem with Setar. Bought a SIM card and was told that if I don't use it for 6 months, it deactivates. However, if I emailed them just before the 6 months, they'd extend it. Five months after last use I started emailing them; still waiting and that was 3 years ago.

I'll never use them again. I bought a GoSim.com SIM card and it's great. Awesome customer service, too.

Contact me to rent our 2BR condo at Oceania
Old Friday, October 19th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Almost Aruban

Digicel is the same as Setar that you lose your phone # after 6 months unless you add minutes. It used to be 1 year, they changed their policy about 1 1/2-2 years ago.
Old Saturday, October 20th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Elaine S is on a distinguished road
I Love Aruba Re: Setar Sim Card for Prepaid

Liz... a friend who was just on island bought me a cell from Setar, and put minutes in the phone. Since I'll be there in 4 months, I'll just add more minutes when I got off the plane, but when I hit that 6 month period in between visits, I'm guessing I can go online to Setar, and add minutes so that I keep my same number???

My old cell bit the dust a while back, but I remember having luck, and keeping the same number even though I just added minutes once a year when I got there.
Old Saturday, October 20th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Almost Aruban

Elaine,

Yes, you can go online and put minutes in before 6 months are up. I use to have a Setar phone but broke it. Someone told me Digicel had better reception so I brought my next phone from them. I think they also told me that Digicel's rates where a little lower than Setar's.

I left Aruba the 1st week in May after 5 weeks. My neighbors left for La Cabana last Thursday. I gave them my phone to use. They topped it up at the airport booth when they arrived. So I should be all set to go when I arrive next year.
Old Saturday, October 20th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Thanks Liz.

I've used an Aruban friend's cell the last couple years, and it was an LG, and Digicel. I honestly didn't notice any difference in reception between the Digicel and Setar that I used for many years.

The phone my friend bought me is a Nokia, and should be much easier to use than the phone I bought at Setar years ago! I'm electronically challenged to begin with, and that phone totally confused me!! lol

Wonder if they still sell Ventaha cards that were the cheapest for calling home.. Used to use that before Skype.
Old Sunday, October 21st, 2012, 05:24 PM

classiclincoln is on a distinguished road

With the GoSim card, you get a US and UK number. If you use the card every other month, you keep the same numbers; if you don't you get a new US & UK number. You can also pay like 50 cents/mo to keep your numbers, but it's cheaper just to make a local call with the phone every other month (from the last time you use it). I like that a lot. Plus, overall, they have good rates around the world. Used it in Europe and the islands.

Contact me to rent our 2BR condo at Oceania
Old Monday, October 22nd, 2012, 12:18 PM

Sorry all I did not answer sooner.

The reason I say the line is going to be mad, is because every year I go it is always on week 3 and it has a massive influx of people thus resulting long lines. I also arrive late on Friday and they may be closed which is why I rather buy it in advance.

I am now aware Setar cards expire, which would mean my existing Digicel is already expired

I rather Setar due to their excellent prepaid plan for Data. Digicel is rather expensive in comparison, and when I went my Blackberry only worked on EDGE (not 3G Speed) now I have an iphone so I need full 3G speed, as I use the phone for work email and such.

Data is my main concern, the actual phone use is not as I use data/email more than talking on the phone.
Old Monday, October 22nd, 2012, 02:38 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

I arrive on a Saturday... week 5, and I know the line for the Setar kiosk can be a mess, but it is what it is. There's always only one woman on site.

Here's the website to buy prepaid minutes that I'll use when I'm almost 6 months out... it may help you, too. It's nice that it converts AFL to US dollars so you know what you're buying.

Click here: Online Prepaid Recharge
Old Monday, October 22nd, 2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine S View Post
I arrive on a Saturday... week 5, and I know the line for the Setar kiosk can be a mess, but it is what it is. There's always only one woman on site.

Here's the website to buy prepaid minutes that I'll use when I'm almost 6 months out... it may help you, too. It's nice that it converts AFL to US dollars so you know what you're buying.

Click here: Online Prepaid Recharge

Thanks for that info! It would be a good idea to load up the minimal amount every 6 months (since I have a timeshare every year on week 3) so I can continue to own the same phone number.

Oddly enough Setar finally answered my email I sent a week ago. I asked if I can buy it in advance and ship it to New York or to the Surf Club where i stay.

I will let you know what they say.
Old Monday, October 22nd, 2012, 05:39 PM
Almost Aruban Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo118 View Post
Thanks for that info! It would be a good idea to load up the minimal amount every 6 months (since I have a timeshare every year on week 3) so I can continue to own the same phone number.

Oddly enough Setar finally answered my email I sent a week ago. I asked if I can buy it in advance and ship it to New York or to the Surf Club where i stay.

I will let you know what they say.
Thank you..

My friend loaded some minutes into my new cell, and I'll top it off when I land.

I'm there weeks 5, 6, 7 and 8 so I'll load the minimal amount sometime in September.

The site seems easy enough to use, and self explanatory.... but, the jury's still out until I use it!!
Old Saturday, October 12th, 2013, 05:24 AM

ww1lp is on a distinguished road

I have a iphone 5s and want to use a sim that works with the setar network. Has anyone tried this service? Its reasonable 29.95 for unlimited min and internet. Im going to check it out, ill be in Aruba on 10-27-13. will let you know

Aruba SIM Card, Unlimited 3G Internet, FREE Calls $1/day!